HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Best Shot at Breaking Brodeurs Shutout Record

View Poll Results: Best chance to break shutout record
Lundqvist 9 11.69%
Miller 5 6.49%
Fleury 12 15.58%
Luongo 26 33.77%
Nabokov 2 2.60%
Other (Please Specify) 23 29.87%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Cappo40*

vCash: 500
Best Shot at Breaking Brodeurs Shutout Record

Firstly, Congrats to Marty on his Record 104th Career Shutout..

This poll is after Marty is retired, say 5 years (give or take), and his shutouts are around 130 (based on about 5 SO/year)..

Who do you think has the best chance at breaking Martin Brodeurs career Shutout record of 130(ish) shutouts?

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

No goalie currently in the league will come close. His record, when he's retired, will never be broken in this era of NHL hockey.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappo619 View Post

This poll is after Marty is retired, say 5 years (give or take), and his shutouts are around 130 (based on about 5 SO/year)..

Who do you think has the best chance at breaking Martin Brodeurs career Shutout record of 130(ish) shutouts?
NOBODY in hockey right now.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
NOBODY in hockey right now.
Nobody in game right now, but he was asking for a goalie with the BEST SHOT of doing so

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Cappo40*

Remember guys, BEST SHOT...Not who is going to break it in the NHL currently, I want to know who you think would have the best chance to come close and challenge the record...Keep in mind the age of your choice..

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
First off, I really doubt he will come close to 130. He is old now and I dont think he will keep up the pace. 115-120 is more likely imo.

Anyone in the game right now will not come very close to what he has done.. as for those who might come close I can see Lundqvist gather a good amount of shotouts when his career is done. I believe both him and Luongo will have about 70-80 SO when their respective careers are over.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:07 AM
8BostonRocker24

I didn't vote "other" but in retrospect I should have. IMO the best will have to be a young goalie that plays on a very defensive team.

Mason - Columbus
Rask - Boston

If either comes close, I'll freaking impressed. I voted MAF but I don't think Pittsburgh plays a defensive enough system to get him close.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:09 AM
zackisonfire

Whoever can play in another dead puck era on a great defensive team.

zackisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
bruinsfan46

Steve Mason probably has the best shot of all the goalies in the league right now based on the fact he got ten as a 20 year old last year. I highly, highly doubt that anyone comes even close to the record but I give him the best shot.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:26 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Remember guys, BEST SHOT...Not who is going to break it in the NHL currently, I want to know who you think would have the best chance to come close and challenge the record...Keep in mind the age of your choice..
How about adding a "None of the above".

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Luongo already has 49 SO and if he plays the rest of his contract,12 years say he gets an average of 5 SO a year that equals 60 +49= 109 probably not going to catch Brodeur but will be the closest IMO.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:37 AM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

If you guys don't remember Miller is 29 one year older then Luongo,and Miller has only 16 career SO,compared to Luongo's 49.

Old
12-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Big Phil

Off that list? Hmm, maybe Luongo? But no one else. The other goalies either started out in the NHL a little too late. Other notables might be Mason. But the jury isn't out on him yet. He had 9 shutouts last year but he's mirred in a terrible sophomore slump. Fleury would have had a good shot at it but he might have a better shot at the wins record than the shutouts. The Pens play much the way the early '90s Pens played where a shutout wasn't what the team revolved around.

Brodeur was/is a great goalie and nothing should be taken away from him but he had a luxury of having Jacques Lemaire in there early in his career who helped put his stamp of approval on the trap happy NHL even after he left New Jersey in 1998. I'll give Brodeur credit but I'll also give credit to the Devils team all those years who helped put most of us in comas with their "wait for the first mistake" style.

Again nothing against Brodeur, he's #5 all time for me among goalies, but even the other night when the Devils won 4-0 the Pens announcer was talking about how New Jersey manages to suck up the emotion of a hockey game. He wasn't lying to anyone who watches the Devils

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 02:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

you really expect Brodeur to keep playing for another 5 years?

he's already 37... that's close to retirement age... but lets assume he plays another 3 years - so he retires after 40, which is already pushing it.

he averages about .1 shutouts/game... if he's got another 3 years, plus the rest of this season, that will be around 185 games (assuming he remains healthy now moving forward, which he hasn't been the past couple years now).

so best case, I think you're looking at another 18 shutouts - and that's assuming he plays at the same level for another 3 seasons and doesn't retire until 40, while remaining healthy through that time... and IMO all of that is a longshot at this point in his career.

So if you're giving him the benefit of the doubt, that's a total of 122 shutouts by the time he's done - and again, that's very optimistic overall.

The closest is probably Luongo, considering his past history (49 shutouts) and playing in his prime years now... he is 30, so let's give him the same consideration we gave Brodeur - plays till 40, stays healthy, and generates shutouts at the same pace as he is now (.0854/game)...

at that pace, playing the rest of his career with the same consistency he is now, and assuming he stays just as healthy and consistent to 40 as we're expecting Brodeur to, it would leave Luongo with approx. 113 shutouts.

That's the closest you'll get IMO.

the reality though is that the league is getting more offensive, and as such we'll see fewer shutouts, so neither goalie will keep up their career pace till the retirement, making Brodeur's record almost as safe as Gretzky's point record.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:07 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Luongo and Miller are too old and too far behind already.

It would have to be one of the really young guys. Agree that Steve Mason has probably the best shot, but only if Columbus builds a good stable team aroudn him.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:09 PM
VanEric

It's probably going to be tougher because they're going to keep trying to find ways to increase goal scoring. The dead puck era produced a lot of SO's.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:10 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

It would have to be one of the really young guys. Agree that Steve Mason has probably the best shot, but only if Columbus builds a good stable team aroudn him.
Luongo has 49 career SO,if he plays 12 more year and gets about an average of 5 SO a year he will be pretty close.

Old
12-23-2009, 03:13 PM
fob

Is anyone averaging 1 SO per 10 games at this point?

I mean, I can't even see another goalie having this long/healthy of a career right now.

fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:18 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

i went off the charts...cam ward is still only 25 and has his best years ahead of him...prob my fav keeper aside from marty

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Mergus merganser

If none of them have a chance, how can one of them have the bests chance?

None is my answer. I can't believe 2 people voted for Miller.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:22 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Luongo has 49 career SO,if he plays 12 more year and gets about an average of 5 SO a year he will be pretty close.
Yeah but Marty's still going to keep playing a couple years probably and with Lemaire back in Jersey, who knows what his final total will be?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdrum View Post
Whoever can play in another dead puck era on a great defensive team.
Not to say that Brodeur hasn't been a very good goalie, but it does have a lot to do with this. As another addition to his play, though, you have to look at his consistency and number of starts. He had his first major injury last year, in his late 30s. The Devils have always played him a far above average number of times compared to other starters. The mix of the dead puck era, that kind of consistency, and a great goalie (even if you, like me, think he's somewhate overrated and not one of the best all time), is quite the perfect storm. Even if there's another dead puck era, you'd need that combination to strike again.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:25 PM
ContrarianGoaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

Through his age 29 season, Luongo had 47 shutouts.
Through his age 29 season, Brodeur had 55 shutouts.

And that was with Luongo missing a full season because of the lockout, meaning that Luongo has essentially a free season to make up some of that gap, assuming no future work stoppages.

Having said that Brodeur piled up a ton of shutouts in his early thirties, which will make it awfully tough for Luongo to keep up. I'd say it is unlikely Luongo catches up to Brodeur's eventual total, but I wouldn't completely write him off the way I would, for example, Miller or Nabokov. It depends how long he is able to play at a high level and whether he stays injury-free or not.

ContrarianGoaltender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
you really expect Brodeur to keep playing for another 5 years?
Sure, why not? Hasek played till he was 43 and I think Brodeur can match that and still be an effective goaltender.

12-23-2009, 03:32 PM
keslehr*

Luongo is the best shot, and he won't do it. IMO Lui'll end up with about 110-115 shutouts and Brodeur will probably have about 130-135.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote