HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Damian Cox: Canada's constant home-ice advantage is killing WJCs

Old
12-23-2009, 10:18 PM
james bond

vCash: 500
I guess another debate would be how the money is distrubuted. Should it stay within Hockey Canada or should there be more distribution to other countries? One could argue that Canada is making money on the backs of the other participants, and if there were no other competitors this tourny would be dead.

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Ken Campbell had virtually an identical op-ed piece in the last Hockey News.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
I guess another debate would be how the money is distrubuted. Should it stay within Hockey Canada or should there be more distribution to other countries? One could argue that Canada is making money on the backs of the other participants, and if there were no other competitors this tourny would be dead.
Is it not evenly distributed?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:35 PM
v-man

Quote:
The IIHF gets their fair share of the profits, that's why they don't mind having it in Canada that often. They have plenty of other money losing tournaments to support at lower divisions, so any time they have a choice between arenas filled with 2,500 or 18,000 fans, they'll obviously go with the latter. At the moment, the only countries outside of Canada that seem to have any interest in this tournament are Sweden and Latvia. Sweden just had it a few years ago, and Latvia is still on the brink of being sent back down to Div. 1, so I don't see them hosting it until they become more of a mainstay in the top 10. They do hold the overall attendance record for IIHF U18 tournaments though (and that was at division 1), so the interest is there.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Rob

Do we know which Euro country is hosting in 2013?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Freudian
Regress to meanness

vCash: 50
It makes sense having it in Canada as much as possible. In any other country people hardly care about it, outside a small part of the hockey fans.

That it gives Canada a sporting advantage doesn't really matter. It only really matters in Canada anyway. A non-Gold is quickly forgotten in the rest of the hockey world. In the end it is just a junior tournament and there is only one country on earth that are passionate about junior hockey.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:47 PM
BlackAces*

Gotta admit, this year's tournament just doesn't interest me even as much as last years. Quite frankly, I don't care if we win nearly as badly, outside of the novelty of going for 6 in a row.

Sad, because this used to be by far and away my favourite tournament.

Last edited by BlackAces*: 12-23-2009 at 11:14 PM.
BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:59 PM
NeverGoingToWin

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-host-WJC.html

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:19 PM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Is it not evenly distributed?
Sorry for the delay, but here it is..

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=70105

Hockey Canada gets 50 per cent of the profits from the tournament in Canada, the CHL 35 per cent, and the B.C. amateur hockey association the remaining 15.

Old
12-23-2009, 11:26 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, but here it is..

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=70105

Hockey Canada gets 50 per cent of the profits from the tournament in Canada, the CHL 35 per cent, and the B.C. amateur hockey association the remaining 15.
Why BC?

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:32 PM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Why BC?
I should of prefaced that the article was a snapshot of the 2006 WJC's in Vancouver. This years would probably go to the associated provinces, Saskatchewan (Sp?) and Alberta ( I cant remember the two host cities for this year).

Old
12-23-2009, 11:33 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Why BC?
That was about the 2006 Vancouver tournament. The profit it talks about is also that which is left after the IIHF get's it's piece of the pie.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
I should of prefaced that the article was a snapshot of the 2006 WJC's in Vancouver. This years would probably go to the associated provinces, Saskatchewan (Sp?) and Alberta ( I cant remember the two host cities for this year).
Both in Saskatchewan. Regina and Saskatoon.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Andrew Sykes

If it weren't for Canada I highly doubt this tournament would still even be in existence. Plain and simple no one else cares about it and the only reason it still exists is because Canada pretty much operates the whole thing. I see it almost being like the old Canada Cup.

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Still, I'm not sure how much more interest can be drawn for this tournament internationally. I'm interested to hear from the overseas people (as well as North Americans) about this.
I can only tell from me and my friends, anyone that is interested in hockey, is interested in juniors.

Problem in Sweden though, and i suspect many other EU countries, is that the arenas take like 4-6K people. I'm sure NA can take some more for the games. If an arena looks empty in EU its because companies buy seats for people that aren't interested.
That should be banned. It's not always empty because of lack of interest amongst true hockey fans.

That's how I feel anyway. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, this is the Internet after all.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:29 AM
RangerRed

Sing it with me:

Make money, money, make money, money, money

The tournament makes a lot, like an ungodly amount of money when it's hosted in Canada and the Northern United States. Because that's true, the IIHF doesn't have a whole lot of incentive to give the Europeans the tournament. Now, with that having been said, Europe almost always gets the World Championships in spring and the World U-18 Championships. So the table does balance out a little bit.

RangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Stephen

Quote:
TSN, Hockey Canada have essentially bought this tournament. It is a pure cash cow as it is the Canadian equivalant of a College Bowl game,or Canadas March Madness. Yes it has killed interest in Europe but the IIHF needs to quit sitting on their thumbs and get to work on making the tournament the best it can be in respective European countries.

As for in the US, I am surprised ESPN doesnt take note of Canadas money maker and find an area that they could use to manufacture the same type of atmosphere as in the Canadian markets. Why not try growing the game at the grass roots, build facilities, promote the local hockey (HS or junior) and market it on par with a Bowl game or March Madness. I say it is money left on the table.

The one caveat for Canada is that sometimes that is the only opportunity that u20 players get a chance to play in front of 20 000 fans and to play in the only country that considers hockey its number one sport.
Yeah, the WJC has really become a Canadian Christmas love in with the familiar theme song, Gord Miller and Bob McKenzie and whatnot. It really doesn't have an international tournament feel to it, and in the long run the lack of competition makes for less compelling story lines.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
If it weren't for Canada I highly doubt this tournament would still even be in existence. Plain and simple no one else cares about it and the only reason it still exists is because Canada pretty much operates the whole thing. I see it almost being like the old Canada Cup.
It's not that simple. But in some way it is.

The interest is pretty high here in Sweden at least, the main problem is access. Pretty much the same dilemma as with the NHL. It's hard to watch the games you want.

We get a channel to show the swedish games at best, and probably semis and the finals.

If it was easier for the public to watch these games, live, tv or streaming ... whatever, I'm pretty sure it would be different.

Sometimes it's just a pain in the ass trying to watch these games.

You guys are so lucky with TSN covering it.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:00 AM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRed View Post
Sing it with me:

Make money, money, make money, money, money

The tournament makes a lot, like an ungodly amount of money when it's hosted in Canada and the Northern United States. Because that's true, the IIHF doesn't have a whole lot of incentive to give the Europeans the tournament. Now, with that having been said, Europe almost always gets the World Championships in spring and the World U-18 Championships. So the table does balance out a little bit.
It has more to do with the time of year the u18s are scheduled. It is more like Canada and the US dont want the u18s because it is too hard to predict if the host city will be having playoff dates booked for the respective building. The USHL is still playing which also limits players outside the NTDP to participate. NAHL, EJHL dont really want the tournament for the same reasons and none of their talent gets showcased. Would you want to host a tournament that shuns your league? It is almost like the u18s get pushed on Europe.

Old
12-24-2009, 01:16 AM
eraserhead

I use it as a way of seeing junior players I normally don't see, and that's it.

eraserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:17 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
From the article:

Quote:
“I have followed the junior tournament in Europe and when you have teams playing in front of 42 spectators, that’s 42 - four, two - it’s really very, very sad,” Fasel said. “Then it comes here and they’re playing in front of at least 9,000…for the boys coming from Kazakhstan, from Slovakia, for these young boys playing in front of such crowds is a lifetime experience.
And that's why it should stay in Canada. 42 spectators? Come on really? You would think there would be at least that many family and friends.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:19 AM
kaiser matias

While I don't really agree with it, the WJC and WC have reached a sort of balance.

North Americans prefer the WJC, so it stays here.

Europeans prefer the WC, so it stays there.

(Generalizations I know, but mostly true)

They should alternate each tournament onto either side of the Atlantic every few years to try and bring some interest for the other tournament. After all, keeping the WJC and WC in set places is not going to make others more interested in them, and not do much for growth. Then again, I'm one of the few North Americans who preferes the WC to the WJC, so take that for what its worth.

Also surprised that I'll be the first to express disgust in Cox referring to Minsk as a Russian city. Seriously, the USSR broke up over 15 years ago, they are different countries.

Last edited by kaiser matias: 12-24-2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: About Minsk
kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:20 AM
BoHorvatFan

This tournament should be played on a huge rink in front of 800 people(half Canadians who made their way over) and a couple of cars.

That's the fair way.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
From the article:

And that's why it should stay in Canada. 42 spectators? Come on really? You would think there would be at least that many family and friends.
Where the hell was that?

Old
12-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
While I don't really agree with it, the WJC and WC have reached a sort of balance.

North Americans prefer the WJC, so it stays here.

I gotta say that I understand what you are saying here. But it's not always our choice here. I yet again say the word "access". We have to be able to watch the games to gain interest beyond true hockey fans....thank god for Internet and streams nowadays.