HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel Alfredsson

Old
12-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Jackie Treehorn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
It was shoulder to shoulder. He was injured because his arm was extended and bounced around Gonchar. It was basically a check to the shoulder where the arm absorbed it all and his body none of it.

Nothing dirty about it. It wasnt even marginally dirty. Do compare to controversial hits, that many claim arent dirty:

Wasnt even close to as "dirty" as the hit on Naslund
Wasnt even close to as "dirty" as the Neil hit on Drury (which we all say was clean)
Wasnt even close to as "dirty" as the Ruutu hit a few days ago
there was something "dirty" about it. Alfredsson was vulnerable, Adams knew it, knew that Alfie didn't see him coming and still hit him as absolutely hard as he could. Is it clean by the screwed up rule book the NHL uses, Yes.
I don't think Adams is a dirty player (minus my rant when it happened) but this hit is a great example of the NHL not looking out for player safety. To me this hit was no diferent than the Neil hit on Drury. Was it technically legal sure, did it cause someone to be injured for no reason, yes.
Neil and Adams could have both finished those hits, knocked tho other guy down and out the play without trying to end their seasons.
I'm not saying you shouldn't hit and hit hard, but when a player is vulnerable and another player hits them as absolutely hard as they can, that needs to be a penalty.
Same as Iginla on Souray, Iginla isn't a dirty player, but putting his stick in Souray's feet 10 feet from the boards when both guys are skating as fast as they can is dangerous. I don't think Iginla was trying to trip him, but he certainly put himself in a good position to do it.
Player reaches out with his stick to play the puck and misses and trips the other guy, it's a tripping penalty right? So when you do something dangerous, hurt the guy but weren't trying to it's not a penalty, I don't get it.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:28 AM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
We should. On paper, we still have a solid defensive group. If Kovalev can step up and he, Fisher and MM can get us a few goals per game and then shut her down, with Leclaire playing well, we can maybe get out of this hell hole at .500

But Murray should be looking to add a top 6 guy right about now. Just to get more offense and to send a message to the team and fans that we plan on making it to the playoffs this year.
I strongly disagree with this statement. On paper, this team is weak. Time will tell if the can play as more than the sum of their parts, but the roster is paper thin right now, particularly on offense.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Sens View Post
Man, it was awful watching Alfie get hurt. Oh well, here's hoping he comes back quickly rather than using the hit as an excuse to eat nachos!
The nachos thing will never get old

It really sucks he got hurt. I just hope he doesn't rush himself again even though we need him..

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:03 PM
spezzy19

Last edited by spezzy19: 12-24-2009 at 12:52 PM.
spezzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:17 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
I know it's Christmas Eve and all, but we need a report on Alfie's injury. He must have had x-rays taken by now.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:49 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
I know it's Christmas Eve and all, but we need a report on Alfie's injury. He must have had x-rays taken by now.
if I recall from Spezzas injury, we didn't find out till around 5:00ish

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:49 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
We should. On paper, we still have a solid defensive group. If Kovalev can step up and he, Fisher and MM can get us a few goals per game and then shut her down, with Leclaire playing well, we can maybe get out of this hell hole at .500

But Murray should be looking to add a top 6 guy right about now. Just to get more offense and to send a message to the team and fans that we plan on making it to the playoffs this year.

Not sure what paper you are looking at, must be a game sheet from 2005

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Paul MacLeans stache

Dirty hit for sure and hopefully someone from the team put Adams et al on warning.

Paul MacLeans stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:13 PM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Potato View Post
Dirty hit for sure and hopefully someone from the team put Adams et al on warning.
Not dirty at all, but Carkner already took care of Adams in the game.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:19 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
I strongly disagree with this statement. On paper, this team is weak. Time will tell if the can play as more than the sum of their parts, but the roster is paper thin right now, particularly on offense.
I am not sure if i would say on paper this team is weak.If you look at the depth up front it is not that bad.I aslo would not say this team is thin its better then its been for a couple years.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:32 PM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I am not sure if i would say on paper this team is weak.If you look at the depth up front it is not that bad.I aslo would not say this team is thin its better then its been for a couple years.
Oh I agree that when healthy the depth is actually very good. I just think that with Spezza, Alfredsson, and Foligno out our forward deopth doesn't pack much punch. A bunch of legitimate NHL players, but no many scorers. Goals will be hard to come by.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:03 PM
invisible25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliaceae View Post
The nachos thing will never get old

It really sucks he got hurt. I just hope he doesn't rush himself again even though we need him..
LMFAO

That was EXACTLY my reaction when I saw that hit....

invisible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I wouldn't be surprised if Alfie suffered a concussion as well as the shoulder injury.

And for the record that was a clean hit. I would stop watching the NHL if that hit became illegal. I was glad to see Carkner take care of Adams but honestly I would have liked to see some dirty **** go down and see a guy like Ruutu go after Crosby or Malkin (Kaleta type incident). Its barbaric but thats how you protect your players. There's still a bitter taste in my mouth from the Cooke hit on Donovan, and they didn't settle that business.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:55 AM
M4TR1X
@MajorLeeRix

UPDATE -
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
The Ottawa Senators will wait until after the two-day Christmas break to provide an update on the severity of captain Daniel Alfredsson's shoulder injury.
Full Story - http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=303563

I want to know now! I can't wait any longer.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Schmautz11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Alfie suffered a concussion as well as the shoulder injury.

And for the record that was a clean hit. I would stop watching the NHL if that hit became illegal. I was glad to see Carkner take care of Adams but honestly I would have liked to see some dirty **** go down and see a guy like Ruutu go after Crosby or Malkin (Kaleta type incident). Its barbaric but thats how you protect your players. There's still a bitter taste in my mouth from the Cooke hit on Donovan, and they didn't settle that business.
I watched the replay a few times and one thing that most seem to ignore is the fact that Alfie did not have control of the puck. He was chasing it and may have just nicked it as he got schmucked. I think this was a dirty hit for that reason alone. It's not like he was cruising around with his head down and got lit up. It was a chase for a loose puck and Adams still drilled him as if he was carrying it up the ice. Interference and attempt to injure come into play on this hit because of that alone. Head shot is debatable but the first thing Adams made contact with was #11's melon.

Jingle Bells

Schmautz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Rooverick*

Legal hit, but dirty and that in a nutshell should tell you one of the many problems with the NHL and how it is officiated.

The team is in trouble without Speza and Alfie, but if they can overcome this and stay within striking distance of a playoff berth, then they should be in good shape for the post-Olympic stretch run with our star players rested and facing opponents whose star players are far more fatigued.

PS Merry Christmas to all who celebrate this Holiday Season.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:59 AM
topshelfie
No Rispeck

The hit on Alfie was the first time I can remember him getting caught with his head down.

If you compare that hit to some hits that Ruutu and Neil have done throughout the years, i'd say they are relatevely the same and not suspension worthy at this time.

If the Adams hit is considered 'dirty' to some people then so was Ruutu's hit on Kaletta.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:10 PM
wjhl2009fan

What does everything if crosby was hot like this and was out of action for a 4-8 weeks.I just have this feeling the league would have treated it different like they have in the past.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:21 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
It was shoulder to shoulder. He was injured because his arm was extended and bounced around Gonchar. It was basically a check to the shoulder where the arm absorbed it all and his body none of it.

Nothing dirty about it. It wasnt even marginally dirty. Do compare to controversial hits, that many claim arent dirty:

Wasnt even close to as "dirty" as the hit on Naslund
Wasnt even close to as "dirty" as the Neil hit on Drury (which we all say was clean)
Wasnt even close to as "dirty" as the Ruutu hit a few days ago
Totally correct. And dont forget Neil hit on Hedman. 40 foot run at him. In my opinion, any hits with huge runs and hits with players leaving their feet (before or after) should be automatic major, game misconduct.

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:21 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasberry Strudel View Post
It was definitely dirty, but legal. It was a blindside hit on a play where you have 2 players battling for the puck. The hit was unnecessary.
Hit was unnecessary? Maybe in badminton. Winning the battles for the puck in the corners is where the games are won or lost.

Old
12-25-2009, 01:27 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay54 View Post
there was something "dirty" about it. Alfredsson was vulnerable, Adams knew it, knew that Alfie didn't see him coming and still hit him as absolutely hard as he could. Is it clean by the screwed up rule book the NHL uses, Yes.
I don't think Adams is a dirty player (minus my rant when it happened) but this hit is a great example of the NHL not looking out for player safety. To me this hit was no diferent than the Neil hit on Drury. Was it technically legal sure, did it cause someone to be injured for no reason, yes.
Neil and Adams could have both finished those hits, knocked tho other guy down and out the play without trying to end their seasons.
I'm not saying you shouldn't hit and hit hard, but when a player is vulnerable and another player hits them as absolutely hard as they can, that needs to be a penalty.
Same as Iginla on Souray, Iginla isn't a dirty player, but putting his stick in Souray's feet 10 feet from the boards when both guys are skating as fast as they can is dangerous. I don't think Iginla was trying to trip him, but he certainly put himself in a good position to do it.
Player reaches out with his stick to play the puck and misses and trips the other guy, it's a tripping penalty right? So when you do something dangerous, hurt the guy but weren't trying to it's not a penalty, I don't get it.
His back is to Alfredsson, he takes two small strides - hardly as hard as he can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZE0b...=youtube_gdata Watch :37 point and pause. The helmet flies off at that point before he pinballs into the player behind him.

Old
12-25-2009, 01:31 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmautz11 View Post
I watched the replay a few times and one thing that most seem to ignore is the fact that Alfie did not have control of the puck. He was chasing it and may have just nicked it as he got schmucked. I think this was a dirty hit for that reason alone. It's not like he was cruising around with his head down and got lit up. It was a chase for a loose puck and Adams still drilled him as if he was carrying it up the ice. Interference and attempt to injure come into play on this hit because of that alone. Head shot is debatable but the first thing Adams made contact with was #11's melon.

Jingle Bells
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZE0b...=youtube_gdata Watch :37 point and pause. Adams back is to Alfredsson - TOTAL shoulder to shoulder - no head, the helmet flies off at that point before he pinballs into the player behind him.

Old
12-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Mach9

I was told by someone with the team that its a serious shoulder injury and Alfredsson will miss at least 6 weeks.

Its possible he won't be back until March.

Mach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
Totally correct. And dont forget Neil hit on Hedman. 40 foot run at him. In my opinion, any hits with huge runs and hits with players leaving their feet (before or after) should be automatic major, game misconduct.
That hit was clean. Hedman had his head down and payed for it.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:50 PM
oldtimerhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heat is Gone View Post
That hit was clean. Hedman had his head down and payed for it.
Then the hit on Alfredsson was clean. He had his head down and paid for it.