HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Daniel Alfredsson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-25-2009, 07:20 PM
  #76
Jackie Treehorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Aruba
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZE0b...=youtube_gdata Watch :37 point and pause. Adams back is to Alfredsson - TOTAL shoulder to shoulder - no head, the helmet flies off at that point before he pinballs into the player behind him.
I've watched the hit, and I stand by what I said. 1. Alfredsson didn't touch the puck. 2. Adams could have made a hit and got control of the puck, instead he tries to hit Alfredsson as hard as he can, if people are fine with that so be it. I personally believe that when you stop trying to get the puck and are solely focussed on hitting someone as hard as you can when they don't see you coming because they are engaged with another player, it's a penalty. You said it yourself, Adams almost has his back to him, which to me says he's not coming in under control, he's coming in as hard as he can.
The other issue I have with this whole thing is if Adams is going to make that hit, he has to fight when he's challenged and not hope for a linesman to jump in and save his ass. Here's why, he gambled and hoped that a vulnerable player was going to touch the puck before he hit him, and he knew that Alfredsson didn't see him coming. So here's the thing if he was willing to do that to a player that can't protect themselves he should have no problem fighting a guy he can't protect himself from. I know a lot of people on here don't understand why guys get jumped after hits like that. Well that's the reason why, if your willing to play that game, then you live by the sword you die by the sword.
And to all the people that say he had his head down, how are you supposed to get control of the puck without looking at it?

Jackie Treehorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:37 PM
  #77
oldtimerhockey
Registered User
 
oldtimerhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Uxbridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay54 View Post
I've watched the hit, and I stand by what I said. 1. Alfredsson didn't touch the puck. 2. Adams could have made a hit and got control of the puck, instead he tries to hit Alfredsson as hard as he can, if people are fine with that so be it. I personally believe that when you stop trying to get the puck and are solely focussed on hitting someone as hard as you can when they don't see you coming because they are engaged with another player, it's a penalty. You said it yourself, Adams almost has his back to him, which to me says he's not coming in under control, he's coming in as hard as he can.
The other issue I have with this whole thing is if Adams is going to make that hit, he has to fight when he's challenged and not hope for a linesman to jump in and save his ass. Here's why, he gambled and hoped that a vulnerable player was going to touch the puck before he hit him, and he knew that Alfredsson didn't see him coming. So here's the thing if he was willing to do that to a player that can't protect themselves he should have no problem fighting a guy he can't protect himself from. I know a lot of people on here don't understand why guys get jumped after hits like that. Well that's the reason why, if your willing to play that game, then you live by the sword you die by the sword.
And to all the people that say he had his head down, how are you supposed to get control of the puck without looking at it?
Sens fans wont change their minds so let it be. Neil's hit on Hedman, Drury and countless others, Ruutuu, Alfredsson himself on Tucker, etc. are evidence that this occurs to and by all players. It's a contact sport, people get schmucked. You get your head up when people are coming around to hit you. Alfredsson of all people should know that. Adams answered the bell and fought Carkner - big deal. The guy has won two Stanley Cups with two teams and knows what to do to win. The end result - Ottawa was destroyed 8-2.

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:03 PM
  #78
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,860
vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb Of God View Post
UPDATE -

Full Story - http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=303563

I want to know now! I can't wait any longer.
If it's a season ender, i'll wait

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:21 PM
  #79
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW
 
Pietraneglo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
I brought up the fact that Adams has won two Cups to demonstrate he is a solid player not a goon as people are trying to portray him as.
What a stupid argument.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:04 PM
  #80
Buckleys
Registered User
 
Buckleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
What a stupid argument.
Agreed. If We won the cup against Anaheim, McGrattan would've won a cup to. Doesn't make him not a goon.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:09 PM
  #81
Jackie Treehorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Aruba
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
I never labeled anyone as ignorant. I brought up the fact that Adams has won two Cups to demonstrate he is a solid player not a goon as people are trying to portray him as. I do notice that Sens fans are amongst the most sensitive. I post on the Red Wings forums and they are pretty open to alternative / realistic views.

I was interested to see if the view here was jumping on the latest band wagon of "headshots". The people that tried to run fighting out of hockey are now trying to sensationalize hitting. It's frustrating to read the nonsense. Alfredsson is a long time player so it's normal to see people critiquing the hit.

Nice to interact with you keeper of the forum.
I disagree with you, I've got no problems with that. I don't beleive Adams is a goon or a dirty player. What I think is it should be a penalty when a guy chooses not to play the puck and hits a vulnerable player as hard as he can, in that case the player is no longer making a hockey play and his attempting to injure.
As far as people keeping their head up and knowing better, that's a bit of ******** argument, How are you supposed to retrieve the puck without looking down at it. I still don't beleive Alfredsson touched the puck, which means at the very least it should have been an inteference call.
And Adams didn't answer the bell, he refused to drop his gloves until Carkner smacked him and then the linesmen jumped in because Adams was way out of his weight class. Which is again the bizarre attitude of the NHL, it's o.k. to attempt injure a player with a bodycheck, but not o.k for a teammate to fight the guy if he's out of his weight class cause he might get hurt.
I jsut don't understand a league that encourages 3rd and 4th line players to make dangerous plays on the players the fans are actually paying to see.
And for the record, I've thought this long before this hit. I thought Neil's hit on Drury was a bonehead move. First of all Drury wasn't anywhere near the puck, which in my mind makes it a penalty. 2. Neil could have knocked Drury down and taken him out of the play without crushing him. 3.Drury had no idea Neil was coming and Neil knew it. Add that up and that has to be a penalty and it should be the kind of thing the league is trying to stop.
I'm all for contact and good hard contact, but when you are blindsing and/or trying to hit a guy while intentionally not playing the puck so you can smoke a guy that's vulnerable that cheap and dirty and should be penalized.
This applies to everybody, Ruutu, Neil, Adams even like you said Alfredsson if he's doing it.

Jackie Treehorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:42 PM
  #82
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,807
vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
Then the hit on Alfredsson was clean. He had his head down and paid for it.
I agree that it was clean. However your seem to think the hit on Alfredsson was clean and the one on Hedman was dirty. Hedman had his head down and he payed for it. Same with Alfie. End of story. Bye troll.


Last edited by Milan the God*: 12-25-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:01 PM
  #83
oldtimerhockey
Registered User
 
oldtimerhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Uxbridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay54 View Post
I disagree with you, I've got no problems with that. I don't beleive Adams is a goon or a dirty player. What I think is it should be a penalty when a guy chooses not to play the puck and hits a vulnerable player as hard as he can, in that case the player is no longer making a hockey play and his attempting to injure.
As far as people keeping their head and knowing better, that's a bit of ******** argument, How are you supposed to retrieve the puck without looking down at it. I still don't beleive Alfredsson touched the puck, which means at the very least it should have been an inteference call.
And Adams didn't answer the bell, he refused to drop his gloves until Carkner smacked him and then the linesmen jumped in because Adams was way out of his weight class. Which is again the bizarre attitude of the NHL, it's o.k. to attempt injure a player with a bodycheck, but not o.k for a teammate to fight the guy if he's out of his weight class cause he might get hurt.
I jsut don't understand a league that encourages 3rd and 4th line players to make dangerous plays on the players the fans are actually paying to see.
And for the record, I've thought this long before this hit. I thought Neil's hit on Drury was a bonehead move. First of all Drury wasn't anywhere near the puck, which in my mind makes it a penalty. 2. Neil could have knocked Drury down and taken him out of the play without crushing him. 3.Drury had no idea Neil was coming and Neil knew it. Add that up and that has to be a penalty and it should be the kind of thing the league is trying to stop.
I'm all for contact and good hard contact, but when you are blindsing and/or trying to hit a guy while intentionally not playing the puck so you can smoke a guy that's vulnerable that cheap and dirty and should be penalized.
We agree on good hard contact versus blindsiding- I would also add that players that take runs (10, 20 feet) at players and /or leave their feet before or after a hit should get penalized / game misconducts. The challenge is interpretation is the killer and that's why the league looks like it is inconsistent. This has and always will be a problem.

As for Adams fighting afterwards. Why should he fight if he didnt want to? What does the retribution fight do? Will it stop him from hitting next time? Not a chance. The real issue is Ottawa getting clobbered 8-2.

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:32 PM
  #84
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
The Fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,494
vCash: 500
There was nothing wrong with the hit but I still wanted revenge.

There is nothing wrong with hits to the head as long as it's clean. I personally don't mind seeing an elbow to the head in order to set the tone and intimidate but that's another story.

This is the best post I've come across regarding head shots.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...1&postcount=26

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:38 PM
  #85
oldtimerhockey
Registered User
 
oldtimerhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Uxbridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
There was nothing wrong with the hit but I still wanted revenge.

There is nothing wrong with hits to the head as long as it's clean. I personally don't mind seeing an elbow to the head in order to set the tone and intimidate but that's another story.

This is the best post I've come across regarding head shots.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...1&postcount=26
That is an awesome post. Totally agree! Take it easy.

oldtimerhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:21 PM
  #86
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
The Mars Volchenkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 35,954
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../12269146.html

Alfie out a month is the initial report, but nothing official from the team.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:20 AM
  #87
Alfredsson11
Registered User
 
Alfredsson11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
so if hes out a month, it means he will be back in 2-3 weeks. This is Alfie we are talking about

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:25 AM
  #88
Jackie Treehorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Aruba
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimerhockey View Post
We agree on good hard contact versus blindsiding- I would also add that players that take runs (10, 20 feet) at players and /or leave their feet before or after a hit should get penalized / game misconducts. The challenge is interpretation is the killer and that's why the league looks like it is inconsistent. This has and always will be a problem.

As for Adams fighting afterwards. Why should he fight if he didnt want to? What does the retribution fight do? Will it stop him from hitting next time? Not a chance. The real issue is Ottawa getting clobbered 8-2.
Why should he fight? Because if you are going to play the game with an "edge", you should willing to play the game with an "edge" all the time not just when you can get a free shot at a player that can't defend himself. Although I wouldn't classify Adams as a dirty player, I would guys like Cooke and Kaleta and those are two prime examples of guys who have made a living being cheap shot artists and hiding behind the instigator rule. Why can't guys like Carkner and Godard treat players like Kaleta and Cooke with as little respect as those players show to everyone else? Again, I find the league really inconsistent, the make sure that they don't have fights between guys of vastly different abilities, but are content to watch stars get run over by players with East Coast league skill.
If guys were made to stand up for the things they do, you would end up with a lot less guys taking huge runs at guys. With the way it is now, everybody thinks they should be throwing borderline hits, because they know they are protected from the oppositions goon going out and laying a beating on him. Adams in this case is a perfect example, he takes a borderline shot at Ottawa's best player and the linesmen can't get in fast enough to try and break it up. If Ruutu takes that same run at Malkin and Godard wants to rearrange his face, Ruutu shouldn't be protected by the officials because Godard is a better fighter. If Ruutu and Adams don't want to fight they can keep there hits from crossing the line.

Jackie Treehorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:00 AM
  #89
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
oldtimerhockey
Lossing 8-2 is really not that big of a issue as some seem to think.Ottawa is not an elite team not even close pittsburgh is en elite team one of the best in the league.As for adams not wanting to fight that was up to him i respect player do a point that make a hit clean or dirty then fight after.I have trouble respecting a player who make a hit then refuse to fight its a coward thing to do ina way.As with adams so by your logic any player that wins a stanly cup is a solid player.Not matter if they are a realy good player or a 4th liner all that matter is they won a cup is that what your saying.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:17 AM
  #90
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
There was nothing wrong with the hit but I still wanted revenge.

There is nothing wrong with hits to the head as long as it's clean. I personally don't mind seeing an elbow to the head in order to set the tone and intimidate but that's another story.

This is the best post I've come across regarding head shots.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...1&postcount=26
That post should be sticky'ed at the top of every form on hfboards. So people can actually start to figure it out. Hitting is part of hockey deal with it, they get rid of that then so goes the game.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:11 PM
  #91
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,174
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=303563

4-6 weeks

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:39 PM
  #92
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,807
vCash: 860
Ottawa Sun says 6 weeks.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:20 PM
  #93
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heat is Gone View Post
Ottawa Sun says 6 weeks.
Rebuild time, big blow to team sweden......

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:12 PM
  #94
Alfredsson11
Registered User
 
Alfredsson11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Rebuild time, big blow to team sweden......
he'll be back for the Olympics.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:37 PM
  #95
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.
 
L'Aveuglette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,905
vCash: 500
Murray get off your ass and do something or this team is going straight to the bottom of the standings.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
  #96
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,859
vCash: 500
Hey guys,

As a Habs fan I can assure you that I know exactly how injuries can suck and demoralize you as a fan. It was hard for me to keep the same interest towards the Habs in this first half.

Having said that as a Habs fan I also know first-hand what Alex Kovalev is capable of when he stops pouting and is given his PP minutes. He WILL take it upon his shoulders to carry your team now. Just watch. You won't recognize the guy in the second half. When he is treated as the man on a team he will produce results and will make it personal. I would be shocked if Kovy sits back and follows like he's been doing so far this year at this point.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 04:58 PM
  #97
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Murray get off your ass and do something or this team is going straight to the bottom of the standings.
They might it is aslo possible they could play well and just be fine.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:57 AM
  #98
Bills09
Registered User
 
Bills09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pickering, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,646
vCash: 500
any progress?

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:27 PM
  #99
Shane Sex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Why don't you check yourself?

Shane Sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
  #100
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanurr View Post
Why don't you check yourself?
I think you should be allowed to come on a message board to try to find information.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.