HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All purpose Erik Christensen thread

Old
12-31-2009, 07:38 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
yes Locke can't help, he's not a NHL player. Neither is Paranteau (at least in his ability to score)

The only guys who might be worth calling up are guys like Byers, and they're not going to actually help the team at the moment.

There are no solutions in Hartford.

Right now the only thing the Rangers can do is manage to trade for some guys who can help, and the chances of that are slim. So they'll probably bumble through the rest of the season and end up with a mediocre draft pick and miss the playoffs
I'm not convinced that PA cannot score in the NHL when given proper linemates. He's an offensive player. Playing him ob the 3rd line with guys that cannot create is not putting him in position to score.

Locke has never gotten an opportunity to show what he could, or couldn't do in the NHL. He's played 1 game for Montreal in the 07-08 season.

What harm could it do to give him a look.

At the end of the day, if neither players steps up and produces, we are in no worse off a position than we are today, but at least the Org. would actually be doing SOMETHING.

As it stands right now, continuing with the same personel that we have, knowing that they are crew of misfits, doesn't really say much for the organization.

Torts will continue to say "I don't know" and Sather will continue to remain persona-non-grata and the team will continue to give half assed effort after half assed effort.

I actually hope and pray that this team gets stomped tonight against Carolina. The Canes are THE WORST team in the league and I hope they throw up a touchdown tonight.

Sad to be a Rangers fan.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Levitate

it'd be change for the sake of change and nothing else. There's no chance that Paranteau or Locke make a difference. Not one.

You're frustrated and want to think that mixing things up could make some kind of difference or assuage your frustration, but it can't and it won't.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 08:08 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I'm not convinced that PA cannot score in the NHL when given proper linemates. He's an offensive player. Playing him ob the 3rd line with guys that cannot create is not putting him in position to score.

Locke has never gotten an opportunity to show what he could, or couldn't do in the NHL. He's played 1 game for Montreal in the 07-08 season.

What harm could it do to give him a look.

At the end of the day, if neither players steps up and produces, we are in no worse off a position than we are today, but at least the Org. would actually be doing SOMETHING.

As it stands right now, continuing with the same personel that we have, knowing that they are crew of misfits, doesn't really say much for the organization.

Torts will continue to say "I don't know" and Sather will continue to remain persona-non-grata and the team will continue to give half assed effort after half assed effort.

I actually hope and pray that this team gets stomped tonight against Carolina. The Canes are THE WORST team in the league and I hope they throw up a touchdown tonight.

Sad to be a Rangers fan.
The Canes may be the worst team in the league record wise, but I really don't think they're all that bad when their lineup is in tact. I was in Washington to see them live against the Caps...they've got a lot of guys that can score, and it showed, putting up 5+ an empty netter against them. Jussi Jokinen had a great game, and so did Eric Staal. They pretty much made Ovechkin a non-factor other than one goal he had.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

I know I might just be paying too much attention but did anyone else notice he actually looked on the verge of tears walking into the locker room after the game? i don't know of one coach whose gonna tolerate that let alone tortorella

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The guy is not a NHL player at this point. He has no ties to the Rangers other then a month in the city get rid of this slug.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:49 AM
nyrfan519

So how does everyone feel about Christensen now? I certainly don't think he's getting waived...

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:02 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
So how does everyone feel about Christensen now? I certainly don't think he's getting waived...
Might as well ride the horse till he breaks.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Nick00

Wish our vets played with as much urgency as he does.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

He's a band-aid. The glue will eventually wear and he'll fall off. The real question is, how resilient a band-aid is he? And can he put up points w/o playing with one of the most talented players in the world.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:49 AM
BlueShirts702

I think EC is one of those guys who bounces around a bit and THEN finds his niche. Sort of like Martin St. Louis did. I have a good feeling that EC can keep this up and continue to progress and become a 50-60 point player.

I've liked him since before he was drafted and while he's had his ups and downs, he has great hands and he has shown glimpses of a very solid future.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 03:39 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
He mis-handled a puck right at door step of the goal & missed an open net. He should be waived. The guy is a bust.

Since I posted this he has really turned it up. You have to ride this wave until it crashs.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Vitto79

He has talent. If he did'nt he would'nt of been in a Hossa deal. So with that I think he obviously has earned a spot this year and there is a good chance they will resign him as a RFA. We'll see how it goes the 2nd half as he is bound to go into 3rd line duty soon enough

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Liked Christiansen when he was with Pittsburgh. Other teams have found key players on the scrap heap. Kris Draper was claimed on waivers from the Winnipeg Jets for $1. Rich Peverley in Atlanta. David Steckel was dumped by LA and given a chance by the Caps. They re-signed him last week.

Christensen makes plays. A playmaker. The Rangers don't have a playmaking center.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"We know about his skill; you could see his skill right away when he came here. It's about his play away from the puck," Tortorella said of Christensen. "I think he has been really concentrating and meeting us halfway in trying to check, because you still need to check in this game to play, and to win consistently. ... Erik has done a really good job in buying into that part of it, and he's getting his minutes now."

"I think my opportunity here has been different than anywhere else I have played - getting a chance to play the last minute of the game (on Saturday), protecting the lead," said Christensen, who is a plus-5 over the last six games. "Anyone who plays for a coach who is confident with you on the ice, it's a great feeling. I know I'm not the best defensive player in the league, but to be given a chance in those types of situations feels good. I haven't had that anywhere else. I've had a lot a fun so far."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...y%2FRangers%29

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:12 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I've loved Crusher since he had his career year in Pittsburgh, that year was no fluke, he has the tools, and we're watching him right now put them together. I hope he is retained.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Chimp

That an offensive guy has trouble playing in a defensive role shouldn't come as a surprise. It's obvious Christensen has talent, but hasn't had much confidence, which is very important.

We can just hold our thumbs that this guy can pan out to be a playmaking centre, that we surely don't have an abundance of.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Levitate

Yeah we're seeing him put it together but the question is how long can he keep it together. It'd be great if he finally starts playing consistently like a top six forward, but we need a much bigger sample size

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:15 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Gotta give Torts credit on this one. He's getting the most out of him after calling him out publicly.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:20 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Can this thread just be renamed Erik Christensen thread? I don't think he's getting waived at this point.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

its tough to figure out why this kid hasn't been able to stick anywhere. i haven't watched him since he was in pitt where he was really good. i mean bright bright future good. but then he disappeared. now i understand that he's poor defensively but he wasn't scoring either.

you watch him though and you see a guy with good size, HEAVY HEAVY SHOT, good wheels, nice slick playmaking ability and pretty good hockey IQ in the offensive zone. you wonder what the problem was. In my opinion just listening to his interviews he seems like a pretty heady guy, a thinker. I wonder if he's over thought things to much during his struggles maybe psyching himself out and telling himself he's not good enough to play at this level. he certainly sounded that way when we first got him. I think alot of this kid's issues are in his head.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 09:59 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Can this thread just be renamed Erik Christensen thread? I don't think he's getting waived at this point.

We should leave the tittle as is, why mess with Karma. If the tittle is changed & he starts to nose dive we are all gonna know why.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Eh, I've seen a lot of Christensen before he was a Ranger and I think people are getting their hopes up a little too high. This is typical Christensen. He'll get hot for a while, put up some solid numbers, and then all of sudden he goes cold and settles into a funk.

Gaborik can make just about anyone look good. The real test is to see what happens if he's not on a line with an elite forward. I mean, don't me wrong; I like the way he's been playing, and I hope he keeps it up, but I wouldn't bet my house on him breaking out into a legitimate scoring threat. Here's to hoping I have some crow waiting for me in a year or two.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:19 AM
ecemleafs

what is christensen's contract status?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I hope to goodness Christiansen doesnt fit into the Rangers' longterm plans.

Its the Gaborik effect.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Eh, I've seen a lot of Christensen before he was a Ranger and I think people are getting their hopes up a little too high. This is typical Christensen. He'll get hot for a while, put up some solid numbers, and then all of sudden he goes cold and settles into a funk.
I agree. The guy could play only one position well. First line C. The clubs that let him go had a better options. He was simply lucky to get here. We're also lucky to get him. So-called mutual benefit. Rarity.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote