HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Attendance: I Know they Were Just Exhibitions but...

Old
12-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Andrew Sykes

vCash: 500
Attendance: I Know they Were Just Exhibitions but...

What was going on with the attendance, or lack there of, at all three of Canada's exhibition games? It was especially noticeable in tonights game in Regina. I figured all the venues would be jumping even for the tune-ups. Correct me if I'm wrong but the exhibition games last year seemed to have better atmosphere's with more rowdy crowds.

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 12:39 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
What was going on with the attendance, or lack there of, at all three of Canada's exhibition games? It was especially noticeable in tonights game in Regina. I figured all the venues would be jumping even for the tune-ups. Correct me if I'm wrong but the exhibition games last year seemed to have better atmosphere's with more rowdy crowds.
this i s partly the reason why i think i find the games a lot less interesting

last year in Ottawa the building was very loud, this year you cant hear anything in the these arena..... i hope it picks up and it probably will come the real games

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:03 PM
PumpkinBomb

Apparantly Regina is snowed in right now, I guess they've had a blizzard and it's -36 with the windchill.

I didn't see the Calgary game as I was driving to my family's for Christmas, but it was only -9 when I left Calgary and clear skies so there should've been a good crowd for that game.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:00 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
Yup, the crowds have been disappointing. Pretty quiet, and a lot of empty seats. They said the game against Sweden was sold out...yeah right. Something I find weird is that there are still ads for tickets being shown on TSN. Are the Canada games not even sold out yet?

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Congo

It's been snowing and snowing really damn hard in western Canada. I just drove from Saskatoon to Calgary, into the middle of the big blizzard in Calgary. This blizzard then migrated east to Regina and Saskatoon. My friends were saying that they're had to shovel upwards of 40 centimeters of snow off of their driveways. So, if I had to postulate as to why attendance was low, I'm going to chalk it up to the ridiculous amount of snow.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Credit Union Centre holds 15,000 for this tournament, and I'm pretty sure that all Canada and medal games have been sold out.

I would've liked it in Edmonton/Calgary where the atmosphere would've been awesome...but it's coming in 2012.

Last year, that was the best crowd I've seen for Canadian World Juniors games. There were 20,000 people cheering so hard for Canada, and at one point Hedman was booed so loudly (poor kid) during the third period of Gold Medal game after him and Esposito's little punches.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Yup, the crowds have been disappointing. Pretty quiet, and a lot of empty seats. They said the game against Sweden was sold out...yeah right. Something I find weird is that there are still ads for tickets being shown on TSN. Are the Canada games not even sold out yet?
It's a friggen blizzard out in Saskatchewan, people can't get to the Arena if their cars don't start or they are in the ditch.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
It's a friggen blizzard out in Saskatchewan, people can't get to the Arena if their cars don't start or they are in the ditch.
Oh come in! It's not like this is happening in Vancouver. People in Saskatchewan are use to those types of conditions!!

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:23 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Weird, because that kind of weather happens every year, does the whole city just shut down for a few months every single year?

Old
12-24-2009, 02:26 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
Oh come in! It's not like this is happening in Vancouver. People in Saskatchewan are use to those types of conditions!!
No kidding. For the tournament in North Dakota Manitobans were going to round robin games by the thousands during huge snow storms.

Old
12-24-2009, 02:40 PM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
No kidding. For the tournament in North Dakota Manitobans were going to round robin games by the thousands during huge snow storms.
You're slighty mistaken, they left before the storm, and were left stranded in ND due to the blizzard.
Many people in ND took in Canadian families that came to watch the games. This created controversy a year later in vancouver when the van fans booed the american team a year after the ND locals took in Canadian families stranded in the blizzard.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:44 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
You're slighty mistaken, they left before the storm, and were left stranded in ND due to the blizzard.
Many people in ND took in Canadian families that came to watch the games. This created controversy a year later in vancouver when the van fans booed the american team a year after the ND locals took in Canadian families stranded in the blizzard.
LOL...no I am not mistaken. Yes people got stranded in North Dakota, but they also drove through less than ideal weather just to get there. Not only that, people knew the storm was coming, and wanted to go so badly they risked it anyway.

Winnipeg also sold out two exhibition games with 15,000+ people at each one.

If people from Manitoba can make it to North Dakota in bad weather, I think people in Regina can find a way to get to the game.

Old
12-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

It seems EVEryones been snow farming

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:18 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Apparantly Regina is snowed in right now, I guess they've had a blizzard and it's -36 with the windchill.

I didn't see the Calgary game as I was driving to my family's for Christmas, but it was only -9 when I left Calgary and clear skies so there should've been a good crowd for that game.
Calgary in general has been pretty empty the last few days I have thought. I think a large portion of the city has simply left town for the holidays.

but it was not a bad crowd at the game, certainly nowhere close to full but more people than i had expected truth be told.

missinthejets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:28 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Weird, because that kind of weather happens every year, does the whole city just shut down for a few months every single year?
I'm not sure exactly what the weather has been like over there for the first couple games, but no matter how 'used to it' you are there isn't much you can do when you're in the middle of a raging snow storm. Once it passes people shovel there driveways, the roads are cleared, and life resumes as normal.

It's places like Vancouver that give Canada a bad name as the slightest bit of snowfall will shut the whole city down.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Areid1990

Probably around 10000 or so in Calgary. It's an exhibition so I'm not sure how many you expected.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:41 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm not sure exactly what the weather has been like over there for the first couple games, but no matter how 'used to it' you are there isn't much you can do when you're in the middle of a raging snow storm. Once it passes people shovel there driveways, the roads are cleared, and life resumes as normal.

It's places like Vancouver that give Canada a bad name as the slightest bit of snowfall will shut the whole city down.
There is a snow storm here right now, didn't stop anybody I know from leaving the house this morning. You absolutely get used to it, you learn to drive in snow.

Old
12-24-2009, 03:46 PM
xtr3m

SK is a CFL country anyway.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 09:17 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
There is a snow storm here right now, didn't stop anybody I know from leaving the house this morning. You absolutely get used to it, you learn to drive in snow.
I lived in Vancouver for two years, and not one single person in that entire metropolitan area has any clue how to drive in the snow.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:03 AM
The Pucks

Quote:

Its -36 in Regina with the windchill in the middle of august.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areid1990 View Post
Probably around 10000 or so in Calgary. It's an exhibition so I'm not sure how many you expected.
There's a handful of junior games in Calgary that have more than that, there should have been more than 10,000 fans at the game but it was very poorly marketed. (for the longest time the tickets were only available along with other games in a "hat trick" of events)

If they sold the game better, there could have been 16,000+ at the Saddledome, exhibition game or not.

BTW....season ticket holders of the WHL have already paid for their 2012 WJC tickets in order to hold their seats. Let's see other countries get their fans to put down $2100 two years before the puck is ever dropped!

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Xav
BoVat Horseman

It felt like Florida today in Victoria, so I don't know what people are talking about Western Canada being snowed in.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:16 AM
SM17

I saw numerous cars in the ditch on my way to the game, and radio was going on about how dangerous the roads are, highways into Regina were closed, and so I think people figured they'd rather stay safe at home than go to, as you said, an exhibition game.

SM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 12:29 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Credit Union Centre holds 15,000 for this tournament, and I'm pretty sure that all Canada and medal games have been sold out.

I would've liked it in Edmonton/Calgary where the atmosphere would've been awesome...but it's coming in 2012.

Last year, that was the best crowd I've seen for Canadian World Juniors games. There were 20,000 people cheering so hard for Canada, and at one point Hedman was booed so loudly (poor kid) during the third period of Gold Medal game after him and Esposito's little punches.
Umm no. They played Finland in Calgary and you could hear a pin drop. Same type of atmosphere at Flames games.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
The Calgary game, in my mind, was disappointing in terms of attendance.

Like someone previously mentioned, the tickets were part of a three-pack, where the first two games were played back in August I believe it was (Olympic mens 'scrimmage' and Olympic women vs. USA I think).

Had the exhibition game taken place when it was fresh in the minds of those who purchased these tickets, I think it would've been a bit different story.