HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

A bit overhyped perhaps?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2009, 01:25 AM
  #1
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,568
vCash: 500
A bit overhyped perhaps?

Canada love the WJC's. I like them too, I mean it's hockey I'll watch regardless who is playing. But I'm finding the hype to be getting a bit too much. TSN pushes this thing like it's the olympics or the FIFA world cup. Today there was a full slate of NHL games, 5 Canadian teams in action, and a Raptors game, and they lead off with the Canada-Czech Republic tune up game.

This tournament is actually very boring in comparison to the World Championships. It's basically let's watch Canada demolish everyone until they face the one or at most two other good teams that tend to show up every year. Sometimes it's the US, Russia or Sweden. Canada's depth is so much bigger than any other country's (although the US has been making strides), that they will always be the favorites. I like cheering more for the Canadian team in the World Championships where they aren't usually favored to spank everyone.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to watch or anything, but I just think had it not been for the TSN publicity machine pushing this thing like crazy, it would probably be something that really only mattered to die-hard fans who are interested in prospects.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:28 AM
  #2
The Big Swede
Registered User
 
The Big Swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gatineau,Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
The only think I like watching more then the WJC are watching the Leafs.

The World Juniors to me are much more exiting then both the World Championships(by far) and the Olympics.

These kids lay it on the line every single shift and are trying to prove to the teams that drafted them,that they made the right decision

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:28 AM
  #3
alienanton*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Leaf Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
uh last year canada went down to the last minute against the U.S., had to tie the game w/ 5 seconds left against russia, before even getting to sweden.

in no way are they 'demolishing' everyone to the gold medal game.

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:32 AM
  #4
Andrew Sykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Canada love the WJC's. I like them too, I mean it's hockey I'll watch regardless who is playing. But I'm finding the hype to be getting a bit too much. TSN pushes this thing like it's the olympics or the FIFA world cup. Today there was a full slate of NHL games, 5 Canadian teams in action, and a Raptors game, and they lead off with the Canada-Czech Republic tune up game.

This tournament is actually very boring in comparison to the World Championships. It's basically let's watch Canada demolish everyone until they face the one or at most two other good teams that tend to show up every year. Sometimes it's the US, Russia or Sweden. Canada's depth is so much bigger than any other country's (although the US has been making strides), that they will always be the favorites. I like cheering more for the Canadian team in the World Championships where they aren't usually favored to spank everyone.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to watch or anything, but I just think had it not been for the TSN publicity machine pushing this thing like crazy, it would probably be something that really only mattered to die-hard fans who are interested in prospects.
The hype factor is huge but it is truly is great to watch. Tonight I was watching the game and even though it was exhibtion, it was still better to watch than an NHL game. At one point during the first period I flicked over to the Washington Caps game and it was like night and day. Part of it has to with TSN's superior presentation (sound, colour etc.) I think, but it is just better to watch than a regular season NHL game.

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:34 AM
  #5
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
uh last year canada went down to the last minute against the U.S., had to tie the game w/ 5 seconds left against russia, before even getting to sweden.

in no way are they 'demolishing' everyone to the gold medal game.
OK they had two close games. The game that everyone was looking forward to before the tournament, Canada-Sweden, was a snoozer.

I just think it would make for a better tournament if you don't have the same team winning it 6 times in a row.

Like I said, I like the tournament. There have been great games. The 04 final vs the US. The Toews Shootout. Halischuk scoring in overtime. Tavares vs. the US. The semi-final against Russia last season.

I just don't know if it's as important as people make it out to be. It seems like no other country even cares about it that much.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:39 AM
  #6
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
I think alot of people forget that before this recent streak of 5 wins in a row, Canada didn't win a gold medal for 7 years in a row before that. There are cycles of wealth in junior hockey players, and eventually it turns its tide. Could very well start this year.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:44 AM
  #7
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
The hype factor is huge but it is truly is great to watch. Tonight I was watching the game and even though it was exhibtion, it was still better to watch than an NHL game. At one point during the first period I flicked over to the Washington Caps game and it was like night and day. Part of it has to with TSN's superior presentation (sound, colour etc.) I think, but it is just better to watch than a regular season NHL game.
Yeah, a December/January NHL game is definitely a lot more boring than a WJC game.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:46 AM
  #8
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
The hype factor is huge but it is truly is great to watch. Tonight I was watching the game and even though it was exhibtion, it was still better to watch than an NHL game. At one point during the first period I flicked over to the Washington Caps game and it was like night and day. Part of it has to with TSN's superior presentation (sound, colour etc.) I think, but it is just better to watch than a regular season NHL game.
I agree with you when its a tournament game, but not exhibition. If the effort and dedication isn't at full blast in this level, it doesn't make up for the vastly superior speed of game and skill level of a regular season NHL game.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:51 AM
  #9
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yeah, a December/January NHL game is definitely a lot more boring than a WJC game.
I think one may find it more interesting because each game means more. So a 2-1 SO win in a December NHL can seem boring, but the exact same game in the quarter finals of the WJC may seem riveting.

But there are a lot more clunkers in the WJC than in the NHL, because you have teams like Belarus, Latvia and Kazakhstan that simply cannot compete with the upper echelon teams, while that doesn't happen in the NHL. Even the Hurricanes are capable of beating anyone in the league.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:55 AM
  #10
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,769
vCash: 500
The WJCs are extremely exciting are you kidding? And your comparing the WCs to this? The WCs is a damn joke. This tournament is filled with top prospects and top draftees. The WCs is filled with career AHLers (or other non NHL leagues) and a handful of decent NHL players.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:01 AM
  #11
Kiefer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Christmas holidays would mean nothing to me without Junior hockey.
Me and my Dad used to watch all games we could together, may he rest in peace.

I look forward to this.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:04 AM
  #12
Kekumba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,698
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
Christmas holidays would mean nothing to me without Junior hockey.
Bingo.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:05 AM
  #13
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
to each their own i guess but i love the wjc. maybe its cuz the oilers routinely suck so i get more excited about our "future potential" than the actual team around this time of year. as noted wjc is all top talent i dont wanna watch hnat domechelli score on some unknown slovak goalie. when the nhl returns i will def follow more closely but watching hall vs fowler or mps rip past nhl'ers like sbisa and pietro just makes me more excited than horcoff and o sullivan combine for a -10

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:06 AM
  #14
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,221
vCash: 50
World Championships are better?

Blasphemy. I'm a hardcore Oilers fan who would prefer to watch a World Junior tune-up game to an Oilers game. And not because I'm down on the Oilers.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:08 AM
  #15
Habsfunk
Registered User
 
Habsfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: BC
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
The WJCs are extremely exciting are you kidding? And your comparing the WCs to this? The WCs is a damn joke. This tournament is filled with top prospects and top draftees. The WCs is filled with career AHLers (or other non NHL leagues) and a handful of decent NHL players.
1. Very few AHLers play in the WC.
2. With very, very few exceptions, pretty much all players in men's leagues are better hockey players than juniors. In fact, many, if not most WJC players, will not make the NHL.
3, I would much rather watch a regular season NHL game than a WJC exhibition game. I actually find the WJC rather dull until the semi-finals, when all the weak teams are weeded out.
4. This tournament is overhyped in Canada to the point where I usually find myself cheering against Canada.

Habsfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:12 AM
  #16
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,221
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
1. Very few AHLers play in the WC.
2. With very, very few exceptions, pretty much all players in men's leagues are better hockey players than juniors. In fact, many, if not most WJC players, will not make the NHL.
3, I would much rather watch a regular season NHL game than a WJC exhibition game. I actually find the WJC rather dull until the semi-finals, when all the weak teams are weeded out.
4. This tournament is overhyped in Canada to the point where I usually find myself cheering against Canada.
2. Which is why the hockey is worse. Junior hockey as a rule is more entertaining than NHL hockey.

3. There were no weak teams in these three exhibition games that were televised.

4. Separatists.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:12 AM
  #17
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,529
vCash: 500
so who do u choose to cheer for...latvia?
i think its hyped because the majority of canadian hockey fans love the tourny. it seems the minority may be a bit butt hurt but oh well

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:18 AM
  #18
Kiefer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
so who do u choose to cheer for...latvia?
i think its hyped because the majority of canadian hockey fans love the tourny. it seems the minority may be a bit butt hurt but oh well
What do you mean?
Hyped because of Canadians? Minority butt hurt? Who is the minority in your eyes?

I guess since you live where you live, you see things your way. You have no fair way to see what this tournament means to us.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:30 AM
  #19
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™
 
CASUAL KEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sk, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
The WJCs are extremely exciting are you kidding? And your comparing the WCs to this? The WCs is a damn joke. This tournament is filled with top prospects and top draftees. The WCs is filled with career AHLers (or other non NHL leagues) and a handful of decent NHL players.
100% agree. I like watching the upcoming prospects like Hall that get hype and this is my first chance to see them play. Also last years WJC was the most exciting in a long time.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:32 AM
  #20
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,599
vCash: 500
Last years WJC was probably the most amazing experience anybody could experience.

The fans were crazy, the team was good, and the stories were unreal.

WJC is the best tourney behind the Olympics.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:32 AM
  #21
BoHorvatFan
Registered User
 
BoHorvatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Yeah there's a serious problem when highlights from an exhibition game lead off Sportcentre.

There are NHL and other pro sports going on tonight, including the Leafs and Habs and TSN leads off with Canada exhibition highlights? are you kidding me?

Who cares!!!! it's a freaking exhibition game. OMG Taylor Hall scored!!!!!!! wow.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:32 AM
  #22
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
What do you mean?
Hyped because of Canadians? Minority butt hurt? Who is the minority in your eyes?

I guess since you live where you live, you see things your way. You have no fair way to see what this tournament means to us.
He was talking about the majority of Canadian hockey fans that like the WJCs, and the minority who don't. His post had nothing to do with anyone other than Canadians, so chill out a little.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:37 AM
  #23
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
4. Separatists.
ffs don't turn this into a political thread... I'm a separatist and I do not hate Canada for that matter... It's not a Us against You. It's a Us against Us. Ugh, you guys just won't understand I guess.

I will cheer for Canada.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:44 AM
  #24
Kiefer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He was talking about the majority of Canadian hockey fans that like the WJCs, and the minority who don't. His post had nothing to do with anyone other than Canadians, so chill out a little.
ok, i'll try.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:50 AM
  #25
BoHorvatFan
Registered User
 
BoHorvatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
ffs don't turn this into a political thread... I'm a separatist and I do not hate Canada for that matter... It's not a Us against You. It's a Us against Us. Ugh, you guys just won't understand I guess.

I will cheer for Canada.
Oh wow, well thanks for that!

Really appreciate your support sepertist.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.