HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

A bit overhyped perhaps?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2009, 01:08 PM
  #76
SchwenningerWildWing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
I don't care how unpopular the tournament is in Europe, why should I be?

It's popular here in Canada because it's great junior hockey, we see the best players from everywhere.

Is it over hyped? Of course it is, as a lot of things are. It's a $$$maker and I'm sure the hockey bodies of all countries prefer to make as much money as possible.

I'm sure if it was held in Australia and made record profits there's a good chance the IIHF would prefer it there as much as possible.

That said I sure understand Europeans not thrilled with having to watch the games at 3am...but that's the price you pay for not supporting it like Canadians do.
You should care because Im sure if Canada wins the next ten years in a row this will become boring even in Canada. So develop the game in other parts of the world is important. More important than it looks now

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:09 PM
  #77
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Your last line sums up why we are so successful at this tournament. Maybe hype it up where you live - get some people interested, and eventually you might be successful, too.
I live in Canada, I don't think I need to hype it any more.

Again, I'm not trying to discredit the tournament. I watch it just like everyone. But how is it that more people watch this tournament in Canada than the Stanley Cup Finals? This didn't happen until less than a decade ago when TSN decided to put shove it down everyone's throats.

Look at the Memorial Cup. This tournament has way more tradition in Canada than the World Juniors, and is equally if not more exciting than the World's (more so in my opinion because every game is competitive). Yet the final last season drew a meager 234,000 viewers. The World Junior final drew a record audience of 3.7 million viewers. Game 7 of the SCF (featuring Canada's favorite son ) drew 3.5 million on CBC.

So obviously millions of people who don't give a toss about junior hockey and don't know anything about the players watch the WJC's. The argument that "oh Canadians just love their junior hockey" doesn't really hold. I believe the surge in popularity that this tournament has experienced in the last 10 years or so is mostly attributed to TSN's heavy promotion.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:11 PM
  #78
JussiHikka
Registered User
 
JussiHikka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayguylovesTH View Post
97-04, watched them all. Try again.
Alright:

ITT: Canadians enjoying a hockey tournament because they beat every team every year consistently.And nowayguylovesTH, who watched it when AWESOME DAVE RANDORF called the games.

JussiHikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:12 PM
  #79
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,782
vCash: 500
The tournament is a big deal.
However.
Ya, the hype is over the top a wee bit

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:18 PM
  #80
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgorod
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
The U20s are a great tournament the problem is other nations do not care about it, the Canadian U20s get top level coaching while the other nations get backup coaches, Canada is usually playing at home (which the other nations agreed on), and Europeans dont put any value in the tournament its self.

My guess is Europeans put more value in the tournament rather than who is playing in the tournament. Example, Canada and perhaps the USA will support the best vs best tournament (Canada Cups/ World Cup prior to NHL Olympic participation), and Europeans will put more stock in who won the Olympics (prior to NHL participation and now)

Quite frankly nations support the tournaments that are in their favour rather than the ones that are not, but best vs best make the tournaments important, not the competition itself imo.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:21 PM
  #81
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
They should play the WJC during the Olympics every 4 years.

Seeing these young kids play for gold in the Olympics would be awesome.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:23 PM
  #82
nowayguy
Maybe Next Year
 
nowayguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Alright:

ITT: Canadians enjoying a hockey tournament because they beat every team every year consistently.And nowayguylovesTH, who watched it when AWESOME DAVE RANDORF called the games.
You win

nowayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:14 PM
  #83
Statsy
Registered User
 
Statsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Internet
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Again, I'm not trying to discredit the tournament. I watch it just like everyone. But how is it that more people watch this tournament in Canada than the Stanley Cup Finals? This didn't happen until less than a decade ago when TSN decided to put shove it down everyone's throats.

Look at the Memorial Cup. This tournament has way more tradition in Canada than the World Juniors, and is equally if not more exciting than the World's (more so in my opinion because every game is competitive). Yet the final last season drew a meager 234,000 viewers. The World Junior final drew a record audience of 3.7 million viewers. Game 7 of the SCF (featuring Canada's favorite son ) drew 3.5 million on CBC.

So obviously millions of people who don't give a toss about junior hockey and don't know anything about the players watch the WJC's. The argument that "oh Canadians just love their junior hockey" doesn't really hold. I believe the surge in popularity that this tournament has experienced in the last 10 years or so is mostly attributed to TSN's heavy promotion.
Like I said earlier, TSN is just responding to the fact that this tourney is where the ratings are. As for the memorial cup, it is great hockey to watch but the difference is it is a club team event. An entire country can get behind a national team but not four random smallish cities.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:18 PM
  #84
Statsy
Registered User
 
Statsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Internet
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwenningerWildWing View Post
You should care because Im sure if Canada wins the next ten years in a row this will become boring even in Canada. So develop the game in other parts of the world is important. More important than it looks now
Oh, and as for this ridiculous comment, yeah we all know how boring winning can be! Sheesh, have you ever won anything? Every victory for Canada and every magic moment from the event just adds to the tournament's mystique in Canada. If we win another 10 in a row you won't hear a complaint from me.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:27 PM
  #85
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Ya, the hype is over the top a wee bit
yeah that's the direction TSN is going these days though,

"TUNE INTO THE SECOND INTERMISSION WHERE PIERRE MCGUIRE AND BOB MCKENZIE WILL HAVE THE MOST EPIC BLECHING CONTEST!!!!! OMG DON'T MISS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!"

any little thing they'll hype it to death, i kind of hate to say it but it's becoming so american in that regard. All the american stations do the same thing with their NFL games and whatnot, just crank the hype machine into full gear.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:32 PM
  #86
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I live in Canada, I don't think I need to hype it any more.

Again, I'm not trying to discredit the tournament. I watch it just like everyone. But how is it that more people watch this tournament in Canada than the Stanley Cup Finals? This didn't happen until less than a decade ago when TSN decided to put shove it down everyone's throats.

Look at the Memorial Cup. This tournament has way more tradition in Canada than the World Juniors, and is equally if not more exciting than the World's (more so in my opinion because every game is competitive). Yet the final last season drew a meager 234,000 viewers. The World Junior final drew a record audience of 3.7 million viewers. Game 7 of the SCF (featuring Canada's favorite son ) drew 3.5 million on CBC.

So obviously millions of people who don't give a toss about junior hockey and don't know anything about the players watch the WJC's. The argument that "oh Canadians just love their junior hockey" doesn't really hold. I believe the surge in popularity that this tournament has experienced in the last 10 years or so is mostly attributed to TSN's heavy promotion.
Let's put this in perspective. I am one of the biggest hockey fans you will ever met. I watch over 120+ games of NHL hockey a year, with about 70% of those being Montreal games. Regardless, I watched about 95% of the WJCs last year, every single game that was televised I watched either the whole thing, or a majority portion of it.

Now the Stanley Cup finals, the year before last year I watched one game, this last year I watched a total of half a game. Maybe its just me, but I could ****ing care less about the Stanley Cup finals, particularly when its a matchup thats the same as the previous year. Maybe if it was a more enticing matchup, that I had more of an invested interest in that would be different, but I could care less about Pittsburgh and Detriot.

Why?

Because I find watching WJC games much more satisfying than anything besides watching the Habs or the olympics.

And I am sure there are many out there like me, it has nothing to do with freaking TSN.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:37 PM
  #87
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
It's allright but I agree it's way overhyped, I rather watch an AHL game than the WJC, it's a bunch of kids on skates, it's not pro hockey.
some people, including me would count that as a virtue.

I love going to see WHL games yeah it's not as skilled as the pro game, but it's still good hockey and the kids are giving it there all, and if you're a fan of hockey there's no reason to not enjoying watching juniors.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:50 PM
  #88
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Let's put this in perspective. I am one of the biggest hockey fans you will ever met. I watch over 120+ games of NHL hockey a year, with about 70% of those being Montreal games. Regardless, I watched about 95% of the WJCs last year, every single game that was televised I watched either the whole thing, or a majority portion of it.

Now the Stanley Cup finals, the year before last year I watched one game, this last year I watched a total of half a game. Maybe its just me, but I could ****ing care less about the Stanley Cup finals, particularly when its a matchup thats the same as the previous year. Maybe if it was a more enticing matchup, that I had more of an invested interest in that would be different, but I could care less about Pittsburgh and Detriot.

Why?

Because I find watching WJC games much more satisfying than anything besides watching the Habs or the olympics.

And I am sure there are many out there like me, it has nothing to do with freaking TSN.
I just could not fathom missing the Stanley Cup Finals. For me, it is the most important sporting event of the year, regardless of who is playing. I watch probably around 10 games a week, and the majority of the playoffs. That's a lot of time invested to not want to see the outcome. At least that's how I look at it.
If Pitt-Detroit is not an attractive matchup than I don't know what is. I know it just happened the year before, but I thought that just added to the drama.

In the WJC's I am not as familiarized with the players, therefore my emotional investment is not as big.


Last edited by Chileiceman: 12-24-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
  #89
Statsy
Registered User
 
Statsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Internet
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
In the WJC's I am not as familiarized with the players, there fore my emotional investment is not as big.
Makes some sense, but then again that's what Hockey's Future is for.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:56 PM
  #90
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
C'mon dude.

I understand you like it very much and I dont like it but to call it the best sporting event of the year ?

Somebody even prefers this junior tourney before the Olympics. Now that's scary but everyone is entitled to his own opinion but dont get overboard with things, like the quote above.

Millions of people are watching the Olympics. You should know how many people are watching hockey during the Olympics while they actually dont give a crap about hockey at all. Even the Dutch television is broadcasting hockey !

Nobody outside Canada, with exception of the hardcore fans, gives a damn about the WJC.

The best sporting even of the year....

It's hard to give a damn about something you can't see.

I stand behind what I said, but it is my opinion, I recognize that. It's hardly something to laugh at. I watch a lot of sports and I didn't see anything better this year than the Canada-Russia game in Ottawa in terms of passion and drama. Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 02:56 PM
  #91
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I just could not fathom missing the Stanley Cup Finals. For me, it is the most important sporting event of the year, regardless of who is playing. I watch probably around 10 games a week, and the majority of the playoffs. That's a lot of time invested to not want to see the outcome. At least that's how I look at it.
If Pitt-Detroit is not an attractive matchup than I don't know what is. I know it just happened the year before, but I thought that just added to the drama.

In the WJC's I am not as familiarized with the players, there fore my emotional investment is not as big.
Perfect man, there is your answer. I spend alot of time watching the WHL, and junior games, and following prospects, so I have a much more invested interest in the junior players than you.

I have never found the Stanley Cup finals very fun to watch ever, for the last 6 or 7 years I have maybe watched a combined 10 games of those series. My bread and butter is the first round of playoffs, I love having multiple games on every night and its my favourite NHL hockey of the year. After that, to me it gets progressively worse at each stage. Teams start playing really conservative, the whistle starts getting put away, the gameplay becomes much more slower, obviously there are exceptions, but I am speaking generally.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:06 PM
  #92
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
I have no problem with the hype for this Tournament but I think they could do away with that JOKE of a 'Tour' that SNET covers.

Top JR players are being taken away from their domestic teams way too much when you factor in the WJC's, U 18's, U 17's, + the aforementioned games which I have no idea what they are calling anymore>?

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:08 PM
  #93
GoHomez
Registered User
 
GoHomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 8 km from the Globe
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
I LOVE the WJC!

Really fun hockey to watch, more heart and less brain!
You dont see teams trap in the WJC...

Seems to me there is a bit of a WJC hype on the rise in Sweden as well. Really looking forward to this years tournament!

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:09 PM
  #94
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Maelmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Right. But it's not up to you to decide how big a sporting event is for other people. For many here, the World Juniors are huge and the World Cup is meaningless. "Sporting event of the year" - Your definition will be different than mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
"Sport event of the year" would indicate on a large event of greater scale that a lot of people care about, then people can argue that it can be the Super Bowl, World Cup in Soccer or something similair. If it's something as narrow as the WJC in hockey you could call it "my favourite sport event of the year" rather.

__________________
Todd Harvey, Adam Oates and Darren Puppa, you are all missed in the game of hockey!
Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:10 PM
  #95
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
I LOVE the WJC!

Really fun hockey to watch, more heart and less brain!
You dont see teams trap in the WJC...

Seems to me there is a bit of a WJC hype on the rise in Sweden as well. Really looking forward to this years tournament!
Has it always been televised in Sweden?

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:14 PM
  #96
GoHomez
Registered User
 
GoHomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 8 km from the Globe
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Has it always been televised in Sweden?
No, far from!
From the top of my head, the first time I believe it was televised was when it was held in Sweden 5-6 years ago. And I cant recall if its been televised every year since.

Maybe some other Swede can help out?

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:17 PM
  #97
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
"Sport event of the year" would indicate on a large event of greater scale that a lot of people care about, then people can argue that it can be the Super Bowl, World Cup in Soccer or something similair. If it's something as narrow as the WJC in hockey you could call it "my favourite sport event of the year" rather.
Jeezus, guys. Don't take everything so literally. I started off by saying it's impossible to overhype the WJCs IMO ...

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:19 PM
  #98
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
bruinsfan46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I have no problem with the hype for this Tournament but I think they could do away with that JOKE of a 'Tour' that SNET covers.

Top JR players are being taken away from their domestic teams way too much when you factor in the WJC's, U 18's, U 17's, + the aforementioned games which I have no idea what they are calling anymore>?
Ya those Canada-Russia Challenge Series or whatever they're called now are terrible. It's just Dave Branch and the CHL selling out to make some extra cash. It's been going on for quite a few years now and Russia still isn't sending that strong of a team which usually makes it pretty uncompetitive hockey.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
  #99
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
No, far from!
From the top of my head, the first time I believe it was televised was when it was held in Sweden 5-6 years ago. And I cant recall if its been televised every year since.

Maybe some other Swede can help out?
Thanks. And that's my point. It's easy to say no one cares about an event they don't get an opportunity to see. It's growing in popularity in Sweden because it's finally being seen. I don't think the rest of the hockey world does a good enough job building this tournament.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:34 PM
  #100
GoHomez
Registered User
 
GoHomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 8 km from the Globe
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Thanks. And that's my point. It's easy to say no one cares about an event they don't get an opportunity to see. It's growing in popularity in Sweden because it's finally being seen. I don't think the rest of the hockey world does a good enough job building this tournament.
Yeah, I'd have to agree.
I think that a lot of Swedish hockey fans were surprised by the "entertaining" hockey, struggled for a better word.

It is a fast paced, open and optimistic type of hockey, fun to watch and leaves room for creative players and some lapses in the defence creates a lot of scoring opportunities.

Im quite sure that the Swedish federation takes it seriously but they have lacked in promoting it to the viewers. It wouldnt surprise me if they were quite surprised by the reactions from the swedish viewers since junior hockey in Sweden gains very little interest and low attendance

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.