HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

A bit overhyped perhaps?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2009, 03:35 PM
  #101
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Ya those Canada-Russia Challenge Series or whatever they're called now are terrible. It's just Dave Branch and the CHL selling out to make some extra cash. It's been going on for quite a few years now and Russia still isn't sending that strong of a team which usually makes it pretty uncompetitive hockey.
All it does is contribute to the breakdown of parity on the international jr level as far as I am concerned.

I'd like to see our top Canadian JR's tell the CHL to get stuffed and refuse to take part in these games.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:39 PM
  #102
slovakiasnextone
Registered User
 
slovakiasnextone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Thanks. And that's my point. It's easy to say no one cares about an event they don't get an opportunity to see. It's growing in popularity in Sweden because it's finally being seen. I don't think the rest of the hockey world does a good enough job building this tournament.
Come on, itīs quite obvious that the growing popularity of the event is depending on the fact that Sweden actually is having great succes in the tourney recently. Itīs one thing to get people to watch their junior kids play for medals an other thing to watch them killed by Canada. The WJC was televised in Slovakia for the first time last year and sure it had some ncie succes, the quarterfinal game against the US had like 500 000 viewers, which is some great numbers for 5,5 million people country, but what if Janus had let in 3 or 4 goals in the first period, how many people do you think would have finished watching the game? Very few. Or if we didnīt beat Finland, how many people would watch Slovakia to play kazakhstan in the RR? Not many again.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 03:40 PM
  #103
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Yeah, I'd have to agree.
I think that a lot of Swedish hockey fans were surprised by the "entertaining" hockey, struggled for a better word.

It is a fast paced, open and optimistic type of hockey, fun to watch and leaves room for creative players and some lapses in the defence creates a lot of scoring opportunities.
Yup. The skill and passion of these kids blows me away every year. The speed and intensity. It's great. Like somebody else said, it's hard to go back to watching a routine NHL game after this tournament.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:04 PM
  #104
Macman
Registered User
 
Macman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
Come on, itīs quite obvious that the growing popularity of the event is depending on the fact that Sweden actually is having great succes in the tourney recently. Itīs one thing to get people to watch their junior kids play for medals an other thing to watch them killed by Canada. The WJC was televised in Slovakia for the first time last year and sure it had some ncie succes, the quarterfinal game against the US had like 500 000 viewers, which is some great numbers for 5,5 million people country, but what if Janus had let in 3 or 4 goals in the first period, how many people do you think would have finished watching the game? Very few. Or if we didnīt beat Finland, how many people would watch Slovakia to play kazakhstan in the RR? Not many again.
Nothing grows in a vacuum and those Slovakian viewership numbers prove that.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 06:04 PM
  #105
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,795
vCash: 500
The WJC was on Eurosport 2, the last two years.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 06:21 PM
  #106
cenas*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
They don't even show these games outside of retardedly priced pay channels in Finland, which is a shame.. I think many would watch atleast the Finn games.

Its not the pricing that makes these channels useless per se.. its the quality of the programming that goes on while these tournaments aren't on (majority of the year).

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 07:06 PM
  #107
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,150
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post
They don't even show these games outside of retardedly priced pay channels in Finland, which is a shame.. I think many would watch atleast the Finn games.

Its not the pricing that makes these channels useless per se.. its the quality of the programming that goes on while these tournaments aren't on (majority of the year).
And the execution of the hockey broadcasts. MTV3=failing in sports productions since the 90's. Announcers, commentators, studio analysts... God forbid if they ever get the men's World Championships as well.

Though even if the games were on TSN, we'd still be at the host broadcaster's (aka TSN) mercy. Not every Team Finland game is necessarily broadcast here (though this year seems to be an exception).


Last edited by Jussi: 12-24-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 09:04 PM
  #108
CaptBrannigan
Registered User
 
CaptBrannigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,779
vCash: 500
I guess I don't buy 100% into the "love", especially Canadian, because I have only really seen the great outpouring after they started winning. Like the Red Sox and Cowboys and Patriots it seems the "love" only comes after results for a great many.

To me the skill of the players (yes, even in Dec/Jan) puts the NHL games way up over WJC/CHL. imo, it's not as much overhyped (although it is that) as over commercialized. Seriously, a green jersey to honor a football team? And part of me just has a hard time getting geared up for a less than premium tournament (Ex: Fifa U20 WC). Factor in the different ice sheets/rules that all but two of the teams have to adjust to and I guess it comes down to a bunch of little things. It's not that I don't like or think it's "bad", I just don't care. It's basketball to me.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 09:27 PM
  #109
McCrosby
Registered User
 
McCrosby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
This has probably already been said, but it is exciting because it is pretty much the only chance we'll get to see these prospects play on live t.v. Also because they aren't professional and don't really have solid defensive systems and such in place due to not being together too long it makes for intense exciting hockey.

It is kind of like UFC usually the lighter guys aren't as good of fighters as the heavier guys and would most likely lose if they were fighting in a higher weight class, but the lower classes are more fun to watch IMO. Basically just because the WJ's aren't as good as NHLer's doesn't mean watching their hockey is less exciting.

McCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:23 PM
  #110
bigtimehockeyfan
 
bigtimehockeyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
World Juniors are underhyped. One of the best sports tourney's in the world...when playing in Canada with huge crowds.

bigtimehockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:53 PM
  #111
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrosby View Post
This has probably already been said, but it is exciting because it is pretty much the only chance we'll get to see these prospects play on live t.v. Also because they aren't professional and don't really have solid defensive systems and such in place due to not being together too long it makes for intense exciting hockey.

It is kind of like UFC usually the lighter guys aren't as good of fighters as the heavier guys and would most likely lose if they were fighting in a higher weight class, but the lower classes are more fun to watch IMO. Basically just because the WJ's aren't as good as NHLer's doesn't mean watching their hockey is less exciting.
Do you not get a local channel to cover your local junior league? Shaw channel over here in BC covers I think about 20-25 WHL games a year.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 10:55 PM
  #112
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Do you not get a local channel to cover your local junior league? Shaw channel over here in BC covers I think about 20-25 WHL games a year.
The only Junior hockey I get to see are Windsor Spitfire games and whatever they show on Sportsnet, which isn't much.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 12:39 AM
  #113
Habsfunk
Registered User
 
Habsfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: BC
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
the tournament is absolutely overhyped. tsn's hyperbole is ridiculous. they obviously do a fine job is marketing this and making us all believe its the greatest thing ever.

i love the tournament, but it doesn't get exciting until the elimination games. win or go home. that's when it gets fun. i can't get too excited about seeing canada crush latvia on boxing day.

its become quite a platform for pierre maguire to scream at us and make up new phrases that are incoherent. (for instance...."compete level"? this is not only grammatically incorrect, it just doesn't make any sense. and now everyone is using this phrase).
I completely agree with you, and I'm glad someone else hates the term "compete level."

As to the person that called me a separatist - I'm an anglo-Montrealer who's lived 10 years in Toronto and now lives in BC.

Habsfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 01:14 AM
  #114
boris4c
Registered User
 
boris4c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
I'd say the WJC is definitely overhyped by the broadcasters such as TSN, but it doesn't change the fact that it is quite an exciting tournament and that I'm looking forward to it every single year.

The reasons why it's exciting is first and foremost because the featured players have not been hit by fame and money just yet, and are therefore leaving their heart on the ice. It's hard to imagine a 30 year old NHL player from Slovakia, being paid 5 million a year, leaving his heart on the ice whilst playing for the Carolina Hurricanes (not any player in particular, just an example). They are also full of energy and the speed is incredible, and as someone said, it is hard to go back to regular NHL games after watching the WJCs for a couple weeks.

Nonetheless, most players at the WJC will never see the NHL or will only have extremely short stints in this very same league. Sometimes, even the best players from a certain edition don't live up to their expectations, and I have dozens of examples just off the top of my head.

TSN is without a doubt giving this tournament an importance that it does not deserve, without me taking anything away from it.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:32 AM
  #115
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
Is this tournament overhyped by TSN? Perhaps. But without TSN, this tournament would not be as popular with Canadians and probably would not have become the X-mas tradition that it has. Some of our best hockey moments ( i.e moments that made Canadians jump off their seats and gave us pride in our nation ) in the last decade have come from this tournament. It certainly is more hyped now than it was maybe 15 years ago but the TSN hype doesn't seem worse now than say 3-4 years ago and hopefully they don't try to hype it more in upcoming years.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:06 AM
  #116
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Thanks. And that's my point. It's easy to say no one cares about an event they don't get an opportunity to see. It's growing in popularity in Sweden because it's finally being seen. I don't think the rest of the hockey world does a good enough job building this tournament.
That's not the full story though, the Swedish team hasn't been competitive until recently. We had the Forsberg-Naslund era and the Sedins and now we got a young talented group again. A lot of years in between as you see, the difference now though is that it has lasted a couple of years. Canada on the other hand always got a stacked team, they could have several teams every year and that product is second to none. You need big names to market it, which Sweden now got plenty to choose from with Markström, Tedenby, MSP, Adam Larsson etc. All well-known in the SEL and highly touted. That's my .02 of the raising popularity.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:58 AM
  #117
themightyquinn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
It is too much. It is overkill. It is embarassing that TSN puts so much stock in it while other countries shrug their shoulders over it. It only gets elevated to this level because it's something Canada is good at. And if TSN loves the Junior program so much, why has it ignored the CHL for years? Why don't they show CHL games on TSN the rest of the year?

The level of overkill is almost enough to make a real Canadian cheer for any other country to win just so they stop with the craziness.

themightyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:23 AM
  #118
Paxton Fettel
Registered User
 
Paxton Fettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,182
vCash: 500
I watched last year's semi final against Russia earlier today, and I remembered that game as something incredibly intense with a lot of action. Turns out that the level of hockey played that day was pretty poor. It's the drama that made it look so good.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 11:52 AM
  #119
boris4c
Registered User
 
boris4c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Some people have stated that they would like to see the WJC at the Olympics every four (4) years but that would not make any sense, even mathematically.

For instance, a player was 17 years old during the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino and did not make the team because he wasn't considered good enough to play... while at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver he's already 21 and therefore too old to play under the rules.

If WJC were held every four years, then every other generation of players would not have the chance to play. The biggest gap you can have for such tournaments with an age limit is two years, like it is done for European football (soccer) Championships.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 12:14 PM
  #120
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
I watched last year's semi final against Russia earlier today, and I remembered that game as something incredibly intense with a lot of action. Turns out that the level of hockey played that day was pretty poor. It's the drama that made it look so good.
I find that's true of watching almost any sport after the fact, though. When you remove the emotion, the not knowing who's going to win or how this play's going to turn out, the game itself just becomes.. blah. Ever tried watching the supposed "greatest game ever" between the Habs and Red Army from 75, for instance?

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 04:23 PM
  #121
Paxton Fettel
Registered User
 
Paxton Fettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I find that's true of watching almost any sport after the fact, though. When you remove the emotion, the not knowing who's going to win or how this play's going to turn out, the game itself just becomes.. blah. Ever tried watching the supposed "greatest game ever" between the Habs and Red Army from 75, for instance?
To be honest I'm used to watching a lot of old games, for instance the previous Olympic tournaments, and it's great hockey. These juniors are too young for the most part and most of them will never be very good players.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 04:40 PM
  #122
SirJordanStaal11*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 500
The hockey is really sloppy. I'd rather watch a good NHL game between two teams who play good, disciplined, hockey, but it can still be exciting sometimes.


For anyone who prefers it to NHL hockey, I really don't understand them.

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:33 PM
  #123
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
The WJCs are extremely exciting are you kidding? And your comparing the WCs to this? The WCs is a damn joke. This tournament is filled with top prospects and top draftees. The WCs is filled with career AHLers (or other non NHL leagues) and a handful of decent NHL players.
and those "career AHLers" would destroy any of these junior teams, whats your point?

just because a player doesn't play in the NHL they aren't good? could you be any more arrogant?

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:59 PM
  #124
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 703
I love the world Juniors, but there really isn't a lot of serious competition, and the announcers/analysts often come off as very disparaging towards some/all of the European teams, seem to get this "Holier than thou" attitude. When the 2005 Russian team was being juvenille and taunting a bit, they were immature showboats with no respect for the game(I was frankly, surprised that noone suggested executions). When Canada had some players doing similar either last year or previous, it was because they were passionate young players but maybe should tone it down a little.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:03 PM
  #125
Hipfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin a shake View Post
The hockey is really sloppy. I'd rather watch a good NHL game between two teams who play good, disciplined, hockey, but it can still be exciting sometimes.


For anyone who prefers it to NHL hockey, I really don't understand them.
I have to disagree: this WJC hockey is the best of the best in their age bracket - while some of these players don't go on to NHL careers, a LOT of them will go on to become captains and integral players in the NHL for years to come. In an NHL game, no one team has all first rounders; however, this hockey is exactly that - blue chip prospects top to bottom. We just don't see that in the NHL these days and because of it there's very few good, disciplined NHL games out there today.

Unlike some NHL'ers who just don't deserve one cent of what they're making, these guys are playing for nothing more than pride and do a damn good job at it.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.