HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tomas Plekanec vs Henrik Sedin

View Poll Results: Who's Better?
Sedin 134 89.93%
Plekanec 15 10.07%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2009, 01:54 AM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I'm a Habs' fan and it's Henrik, no where close!
This is how I feel.

Old
12-25-2009, 02:39 AM
adamzilla

Plekanec has as good of a chance at winning the Selke as Hank does at winning the Art Ross. Both players have played better this season than at any point of their respective careers so far, and that should be taken note of, but I don't think that either of them will win one of those trophies.

I choose Hank.

Old
12-25-2009, 02:47 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

With all these players that are better defensively than Plekanec, you'd think they'd be have more shorthanded icetime and shorthanded icetime per game than good ol' Plekanec, but they don't.

waffledave
Old
12-25-2009, 02:59 AM
TrevorLinden16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Well I'm talking about the 6th highest scorer in the league, not some 3rd line bum.As far as this season goes I think Pleks contributed more given his PK time than Sedin. Not saying it will continue past this year or maybe even this month, just that this year Plek has brought more to the table.
Sedin is not not on the PK because he's not good at it. they played quite a bit soon after the lockout, but once they became top offensive players their icetime was used in more offensive situations. They are very good on the PK.

Old
12-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Laterade

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
With all these players that are better defensively than Plekanec, you'd think they'd be have more shorthanded icetime and shorthanded icetime per game than good ol' Plekanec, but they don't.
Maybe because noone takes more penalties than the Habs?

Old
12-25-2009, 04:36 AM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
Maybe because noone takes more penalties than the Habs?
Or other teams have multiple players who can kill penalties while Montreal has few...

Old
12-25-2009, 04:42 AM
debil

Plekanec's very good but Sedins are league's top players for years.

Old
12-25-2009, 11:30 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luo The First View Post
Or other teams have multiple players who can kill penalties while Montreal has few...
Actually, they have more than just a few. Metropolit, Lapierre, Moen, Gomez, Sergei Kostitsyn...

Why is it so hard to accept that Plekanec is elite defensively? Do you even watch Habs games?

Old
12-25-2009, 11:37 AM
BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Actually, they have more than just a few. Metropolit, Lapierre, Moen, Gomez, Sergei Kostitsyn...

Why is it so hard to accept that Plekanec is elite defensively? Do you even watch Habs games?
Maybe because it's been 37 games played so far?

Old
12-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post

The only elite defensive forwards in the NHL IMO are Kesler,Richards,Datsyuk,Koivu,Zajac,Fisher and maybe Zetterberg.

Old
12-25-2009, 01:16 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
The only elite defensive forwards in the NHL IMO are Kesler,Richards,Datsyuk,Koivu,Zajac,Fisher and maybe Zetterberg.
Zetterberg are better defensively than most on that list of yours so you could scratch "maybe"

Old
12-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I have not seen much from these players so I can not tell whether you are right or not. If you are right then Kesler, Zajac, Marleau must be insanely good defensively because Plekanec is playing very well in defense.
Yes, Kesler is insanely good defensively. Since you haven't seen him much, envision a player that uses his speed to track down players—mostly star players—in the neutral zone, strips them of the puck, and takes it back the other way... on a shift to shift basis. On the penalty kill, he's especially awesome.

I should probably add Mikko Koivu to that list. Another guy who can dominate defensively.

Sorry, I've seen Plekanec play quite a bit actually, and I haven't been all that impressed. There aren't many 5'10, 185 pound shut-down forwards in this game, unless they are playing on Montreal of course.

Old
12-25-2009, 02:48 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
might have something to do with the massive amount of penalties montreal takes.

That and you would have to look at what the other PK options are on each team.

And the coaches methodology (regarding managing ice time and PK assignments).

Old
12-25-2009, 07:34 PM
GreenPenInk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
You say that people are saying that Henrik has been a ppg player for several years. THen you say that this is the second time Plekanec is on pace for 70 points.

Plekanecs 69 points in 81 games is not on pace for 70+
Thank you! For catching this so quickly.

Quote:
This is Plekanec's second season that he's putting up a pace for 70+ points. Henrik was only PPG for the first time in his career last year, even though many throw the term around for Henrik as if he's been a PPG center for years longer. He's been a near PPG producer up until last season and this season."
Sedin

06 - 75 pts
07 - 81 pts
08 - 76 pts
09 - 82 pts

82 GP a year.

Plekanec

08 - 69 pts (in 81 gp)
09 - 39 pts (in 80 gp)

This year Henrik has 47 in 37 gp and Plekanec has 43 in 39 gp. Thanks for showing your bias, I can't take you as seriously after that. Not a very good attempt at taking Sedin down a notch though.

Henrik has already established himself as the Canucks main offensive threat. Teams focus on the twins and play defense specifically against them. Plekanec could just be benefiting from the midget line and the attention those players receive, maybe not with the injuries the Canadiens have suffered but Plekanec has not warranted other teams playing specifically against him up until this season.

The Sedins are amazing penalty killers too. Their anticipation is their strong suit. Earlier this year moving from watching Rypien/Johnson kill penalties to the Sedins was like night and day, they didn't have the frantic rushing back and forth but smoothly and methodically like everything they do they'd pressure the point to cough up the puck. And when they get it they threaten to keep it in your zone for half your pp.

The only way I'd ever begin to bring up Plekanec in a discussion with the Sedins would possibly be if he took them on a deep playoff run and kept up this level of success or continued these point totals for at least another full year after this.

Old
12-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Lopsided poll, closed.

Closed Thread