HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niclas Wallin's 500th Game. Raise a glass for The Secret Weapon

Old
12-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
Niclas Wallin's 500th Game. Raise a glass for The Secret Weapon

A lot of us have mixed feelings on Niclas Wallin today I know. He is occasionally the whipping boy around here, and I know I have been as guilty of that at times as anyone. But, he has been around for the greatest moments in this team's short history here in North Carolina. Some of my best sports memories have come at the hands of Niclas Wallin. He ranks 4th in regular season games played in a Carolina jersey, behind Glen Wesley (729), Rod Brind'Amour (650), and Jeff O'Neill (536). With 69 playoff games played he is second only to Brind'Amour (72). He also has the rare distinction (given this club's drafting record) of playing his entire 9 season career in Raleigh.

Let's also not forget, that in addition to scoring 3 OT playoff winners, tied for first all time among defensemen, he directly contributed to Tim Gleason's Game 2 OT winner against New Jersey last spring by blessing his stick before the game.

Saturday night he will play his 500th NHL regular season game.

Droschak: Secret Weapon Still Beating Odds - http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home

Quote:
While dozens of players have come and gone over the last nine seasons, and while the Canes have shared extreme highs like winning the Stanley Cup in 2006 and some major lows (this season so far), one thing has remained constant at the RBC Center – Wallin’s locker halfway down the right side of the Carolina dressing room.
Quote:
“I was there at that draft and I’ll never forget what Willy said to me,” said John Forslund, Carolina’s TV play-by-play announcer. “He said, 'You’ll see it in his eyes, he’s an unbelievable competitor.’ I never forgot that. From the very first practice that was always the case. Nicky has competed his way through everything that he’s done here.

“I don’t recall a player who every season had to earn his keep, had to earn his spot,” added Forslund. “Every year there has been some cloud hanging over Nicky as to whether or not he’s going to be in the lineup, and if he is in the lineup what role is he going to have. But then as the season goes along he finds his niche and he becomes an important piece.”
Quote:
“Just to get a chance to come over here … it has been a blast for me,” Wallin said of his career in Raleigh. “There are a lot of guys knocking on the door to get into the league and you have to push yourself every day. Mike Commodore and I used to talk, saying that half the job is to get here and then you can’t just sit back because the other half is to stay here and earn your jersey every night.

“This organization has been super to me and the coaches have been great, and Jimmy and all the staff upstairs are just top class people,” added Wallin. “If I have been here this long hopefully I have given them something. I don’t just think it’s something that just happens.”
Quote:
“I am an easy-going guy,” Wallin said. “I love to come to the rink, and whether you win or lose this is something that not many people get a chance to do and you’ve got to enjoy that. All the history and all the overtime Secret Weapon stuff, I will look back when I’m done playing. But at the moment when it happened it was unbelievable that I got a picture taken jumping into the glass. You don’t see that a whole lot with me.”

Here's to The Secret Weapon.

12-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50

To the Gorilla!

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

As bad as he can be... His name will forever be remember by our fanbase for his OT heroics... Gotta love the guy

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:39 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
I have a soft spot for Nic.

He never was a star player and was never supposed to be. Yet he had a great career as a Cane.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this year is his last year here and he is ready to return home.

I was fortunate enough to meet him outside of the rink thanks to kids hockey. He is a class act human being.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 04:47 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

"There may be no player who enjoys playing for the Carolina Hurricanes more than Niclas Wallin, and I honestly believe he has absolutely no interest in playing for any other organization in the NHL. He is a Hurricanes lifer."

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=471985

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Never a big fan of his play on the ice, but loyalty to an organization is always a positive thing, especially when it's a draft pick.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 05:05 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

TL;DR Wallin sucks

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 06:35 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
There may be no more loyal player on this entire team then Wallin. I seriously believe that there is no other NHL team he would play for and that he would rather retire. Have to give the guy credit, he's been the same thing he's always been since he got here: a good #5 defenseman that gives everything he can even when injured. The playoff clutch factor doesn't hurt matters either. When all is said and done he will be remembered far more for that then for the bashing he's taken the past 3 seasons.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 07:01 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Congrats to the Secret Weapon. The guy might not be a flashy or great d-man but Canes will always love him due to his memorable playoff goals and loyalty. He's had a pretty decent NHL career for a Swede who didn't come over to the NHL until the middle of his career.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 07:13 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

He could suck for the rest of his days, but I will always look back with fondness at some of the things he's done for this organization

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Hear, hear. And bravo for posting a thread that reminds us we have some things to celebrate. Here's to The Secret Weapon, with a side of some strawberry cheesecake from Montreal as well. Anyone else remember Tripp's blurb about the cheesecake at the hotel in Mtl, that Wallin and Malik I believe found so delish and Tripp harped on? That was 2002 I believe.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I know I have personally given Wallin too much crap over the years. He's about as solid of a 5 or 6 as you can find in this league and it's not his fault he has had to play as a 4 half the time he has been here. His legacy will be a positive one.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Discipline Daddy
NHL All star Aucoin

Great thread. With a season as bad as this has been, it's easy to see all negatives. If anything, Wallin's sheer longevity with the Hurricanes has been pretty amazing. There will never be a lot of Wallin jerseys out there (I know ONE guy who sits in 328 and wears the #7), but he has done some great things for this franchise.

To Nicky!

Discipline Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:34 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I know I have personally given Wallin too much crap over the years. He's about as solid of a 5 or 6 as you can find in this league and it's not his fault he has had to play as a 4 half the time he has been here. His legacy will be a positive one.
It's awesome that in such a "young" franchise we have quite a few long term & loyal players.

Plus.....Brodeur. I mean that in itself is pretty awesome.

12-26-2009, 10:46 AM
caniac247

I may have given Nicky a hard time at times, but he always gave it his all. He did his job well as a #5 defensemen. And he'll always be a hurricane.

Congrats to the Secret Weapon for his 500th regular season game tonight.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Fitting that the only two coaches he has ever played for in the NHL will be behind the benches tonight.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Old
02-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 03:37 AM
Nordic*

- You wanna say hi to anybody?

- nah...hej mamma. (hi mum)

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Are we still mad?

Old
02-07-2010, 04:59 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the memories Nic. He'll always be a Cane.

02-07-2010, 11:06 PM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen

Thanks for the memories, Nicky.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:21 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Thank you Niclas. Sorry we couldn't get you into the allstar game last year.

Ok random question:
Did Tripp Tracy actually play for the canes? I looked in my canes yearbook to see who number 40 was (from the St. Baldricks picture) and it says Tripp wore it.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I believe Tripp's professional playing career consists of 6 AHL games, 2 for the Falcons and 4 for the New Haven Beast. And they were before the Canes came to Carolina.

Now, I don't believe he's substituted in an emergency goalie situation (injuries, sickness, etc.), because it was Wesley for a long time, and I'd have to assume Barasso would be a viable option before Tripp.

The only time I've heard of Tripp getting any playing time with the Canes is during the practices.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Tripp referred during the broadcast the other night to his nervousness when he was on the bench as a backup in Dallas. I have no idea what he was talking about, but context clues made it sound like he has 1 NHL game under his belt as a backup for somebody during a game in Dallas. Perhaps he was an emergency backup for the Canes one time. I honestly cannot remember.