HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niclas Wallin and a 5th traded to San Jose for Buffalo's 2nd

Old
02-07-2010, 05:34 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500

Link

It finally happened.

Wallin and 5th for 2nd rounder (Buffalo's)

02-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516717

Quote:
RALEIGH, NC—Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has traded defenseman Niclas Wallin to the San Jose Sharks. Along with Wallin, the Hurricanes send their own fifth-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft to San Jose for Buffalo’s second-round pick in the 2010 draft.

“We thank Nic for his time in Carolina,” said Rutherford. “He has been a key part of the Hurricanes for the past nine seasons, and we wish him and his family well.”

02-07-2010, 05:37 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Nice to see this deal finally done.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

This is nice because now I can still cheer for San Jose and even better continue to cheer against Buffalo!

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Damn, was hoping it was the Nashville 5th from the Hordichuk trade.

This is a better return then I was anticipating for the guy when the season started to head south.

Either way, thank you Nicky. You'll always be a Cane, but it was time to move on and start the rebuild.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

So, keeping track of what picks we currently have for this year's draft:

1st Carolina
2nd Carolina
2nd Buffalo
3rd Carolina
5th Nashville
6th Carolina
7th Carolina

Old
02-07-2010, 05:48 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

No extension in the deal. Still time for San Jose to work one out, but Nic waived it without a guarantee of one.

Old
02-07-2010, 05:50 PM
impeach estaalo

Yay! Great return.

Thanks to Wallin for waiving his NTC, but let this be (another) lesson for JR not to hand them out like candy.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 0
Thank-you Nicky! Best of luck to you in San Jose!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
No extension in the deal. Still time for San Jose to work one out, but Nic waived it without a guarantee of one.
Maybe this is why we had to throw in the 5th rounder (if San Jose wants him to sign an extension and he wasn't willing).

Old
02-07-2010, 05:58 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Maybe this is why we had to throw in the 5th rounder (if San Jose wants him to sign an extension and he wasn't willing).
Exactly what I was thinking to be honest. Which would actually back up the tweets from McKenzie and Chip early in the day a few days back that Wilson was the one pushing for the 2 year deal.

Old
02-07-2010, 06:15 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Great deal!!! Who could possible imagine Wallin had any trade value only a month or two ago, yet return a decent 2nd round pick

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Comments from Wallin on Canes Now: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...aded-to-sharks

Quote:
"The toughest part about this will be not being with the team that brought me here and taught me all about the game," Wallin said today. "We had a good ride. There have been some ups and down. We won the Cup. We had our run.

"Right now, I'm excited about being with the Sharks. This is like winning the lottery. I'm with a team obviously that has a chance to go all the way. I've been there and there's nothing like it."

The trade had been in the works for days, and the Canes believed it would be completed by Friday. Wallin was with the Hurricanes for road games at Buffalo and against the New York Islanders, and returned Saturday night with the team to Raleigh.

"The toughest thing in my life was getting off that flight last night," Wallin said.

Neither the Sharks nor Wallin would say if he had agreed to a contract extension with the Sharks. Wallin is due to become an unrestricted free agent after the season and has talked of taking his familt back to Sweden.

"We'll see what happens in the future," he said.

Old
02-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Now it's your turn, #13.

All in all a 2nd for Wallin is unbelievable. Best of luck to Nic, he sounds excited. I'll be cheering for him. Great memories indeed, it's been a great ride.

Now it's time to keep moving forward.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:55 PM
caniac247

FINALLY.

Thanks Nic for all you've done and all your OT heroics. Good luck in San Jose.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 07:57 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Awesome. If we can end up with another first or second, we can potentially make a move to get another top 20 pick. Trade the injury prone Wardo, his career is done

PLEASE take the season off Ward, if we lose you we're back to square one.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
So right now, as of today, we have three picks in the Top 60. Probably about 3rd to 5th, 33rd to 35th, and 50th to 55th.

If we can pick up another 25th to 30th pick for Whitney, that would be 4 picks in the Top 50-55. You could totally rebuild your system with that kind of draft if you do it right.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
knucklehead3k
Go Ontario Blizzards

good luck secret weapon.
while some have underplayed your skills here on the boards, you'll always be a true cane and have nothing but good things to say about you're time here.
now go out and win the cup, something we're clearly not doing any time soon.

knucklehead3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 08:25 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
So right now, as of today, we have three picks in the Top 60. Probably about 3rd to 5th, 33rd to 35th, and 50th to 55th.

If we can pick up another 25th to 30th pick for Whitney, that would be 4 picks in the Top 50-55. You could totally rebuild your system with that kind of draft if you do it right.
We could do even better if we trade Cullen and Corvo.
and with no Cam between the pipes and above mentioned players we still can turn that 3rd to 5th into 1st-5th.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 0
Quote:
You could totally rebuild your system with that kind of draft if you do it right.
Philippe Paradis x4

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:12 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I will admit that I'm getting a good laugh out of the reactions. You can tell who's watched the guy over the years and who hasn't. The Sharks fans are pissed, the Hawks fans think it's a good pickup for the Sharks, and the eastern fans (other then the one Panthers fan) likes the pickup for the Sharks. If anything that tells me it's a good deal for both teams. Draft picks are so overrated around here. Yes, it could be big for helping to reload our system... or we could go and spend it on another Harrison Reed.

Old
02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I think it just means sharks fans dont really know what they are talking about when it comes to Wallin. Although to be fair they did get burned in a similar fashion by acquiring Huskins who was useless and then extended. They all assume since we are happy to trade him then he must be terrible. I would trade my mom off a 29th place team is she was a UFA at the end of the season. I do find it a little strange that they think they vastly overpaid...and this from a group that got two 2nd round picks for Craig Rivet.

Also, if Wallin signs an extension with SJ this offseason will we all take back those nice things that we just said.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 09:54 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
I will admit that I'm getting a good laugh out of the reactions. You can tell who's watched the guy over the years and who hasn't. The Sharks fans are pissed, the Hawks fans think it's a good pickup for the Sharks, and the eastern fans (other then the one Panthers fan) likes the pickup for the Sharks. If anything that tells me it's a good deal for both teams. Draft picks are so overrated around here. Yes, it could be big for helping to reload our system... or we could go and spend it on another Harrison Reed.
Agreed. I don't see the 2nd round pick's value as a prospect, I see it more as trade bait for higher picks. Like the Islanders in 08, I expect a team to go for quantity over quality and we could really capitalize off it. Our mid to late drafting is improving but considering our early drafting has consistently (Ignoring last year as no one knows how Paradis will end up) been pretty solid (And hopefully the Paradis pick will be a bit of an eyeopener), I think we should play to our strengths. Not to mention we need high end talent, not depth players. If we move up, land a top line forward and one of a #1-3 dman or a 1st-2nd line forward, that alone should make this draft a success.

But, then again, beyond the top ten, the draft appears to be a crap shoot, with many scouts having completely different 5-20 rankings. Personally, I'm much more confident about two top 15 picks than 4 top 60.

Second Thought: Dalpe has been great and he looks like a great prospect with a great future, but the fact that we considered picking him with the 14th overall, that kind of scares me. I'd hate to see us go off the board with a second top 15 pick. Mixed feelings on this one.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:01 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

id be shocked if we picked at both 2 round spots.....I would bet that we either move back into the late first(like Tampa last year to get Ashton) or maybe trade for picks in the next draft ala the NFLs patriots......of course who knows if Jimmy falls in love with someone.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Thanks for all the good times, Nic! Best of luck in San Jose (who has been elevated to bandwagon status for me).

Quote:

I agree. This definitely puts a silver lining on this craptastic season.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote