HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Bengt-Åke Gustafsson

View Poll Results: Should the Association extend BÅG's expiring contract?
Yes 2 8.00%
No 21 84.00%
Let's wait and see 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Bengt-Åke Gustafsson

I was wondering what do you guys think of the head coach? I've heard mixed opinions and have seen some shenanigans with the rosters, so I was just curious if you guys approve of him or want a different coach, for example.

Thoughts?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 05:47 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

He sucks.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Garl

I approve him for what he has done, but after this year, it's time to move on and have a new coach. BAG recieves too much disses here IMO, his record with NT is very good, Olympic Gold 2006, WC Gold 2006, WC bronze 2009 and 4th places at WC 2005, 2007 and 2008. In 2007 we had basically Eurohockeytour roster and in 2008 we had a lot of young guys.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Snauen*

He is a nice guy. Who seem to want a NT-team loaded whit nice guys whit alot of passing skills. He's been succesfull in the past but don't seem to realize that other nations have done their homework on Team-Swedens style of play and now knows how to beat us, by using speed and a high forecheck.

Even Lidström who isn't known a the most agressive player, have stated publicly that he want tough Douglas Murray to be selected for the Olympics. I guess Lidström knows how BÅGs mind work. If Murray is selected Bengt-Åke is still ok in my book, if Murray is left out, I want BÅG gone.

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:11 AM
joe89

He has lived on the 2006 success for too long. Fourth places at the WCH are not okay results for us. This team just keeps on loosing all the exhibition games, often because of his coaching or should I say lack of coaching rather. He's always defensive in the media, and make bone-headed comments once in a while. Oh, and not to mention all of his little favourites(we will likely see a couple at the Olympics).

Everytime I see him I just want to facepalm.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
He has lived on the 2006 success for too long. Fourth places at the WCH are not okay results for us. This team just keeps on loosing all the exhibition games, often because of his coaching or should I say lack of coaching rather. He's always defensive in the media, and make bone-headed comments once in a while. Oh, and not to mention all of his little favourites(we will likely see a couple at the Olympics).

Everytime I see him I just want to facepalm.
WC 2007 roster:
Ersberg, Backlund, Henriksson
Kenny Jonsson, Akerman, Enstrom, Stralman, Sandstrom, Hallberg, Tarnstrom, M.Johansson
Backstrom, Hornqvist, Jorgen Jonsson, Davidsson, Thornberg, Steen, R.Wallin, Warg, Kahnberg, Mansson, Emvall, Bremberg, Hedstrom

4th place isn't good for this team? It was by far the worst roster amongst semi-finalists.

2008 roster:
Lundqvist, Tellqvist, Liv
Edler, Frogren, Murray, Kenny Jonsson, M.Johansson, Fernholm, Stralman, N.Wallin
Backstrom, Hornqvist, R.Nilsson, Johan Andersson, Ekman, Fabricius, M.Holmqvist, Ledin, Martensson, Weinhandl, R.Wallin, Widingб Warg, M.Nilson.

Once again, not an impressive roster by any means.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:40 AM
jfc64

Understands hockey and what it takes to win more than anyone.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Ribban

As disappointed and angry as I am with the latest slap in the face, I do recognize that BÅG is also just the figurehead who gets all the flack for decisions that he really isn't in charge of.

Swedish hockey has had a problem for a while, and the 2006 wins on the men's side and the recent "success" with the Jr's allow for some pretty messed up ideas to develop into activities of pure madness.

BÅG and Näslund wasn't really the mastermind behind the 2006 successes (In the Olympics we let Finland take out the heavy weights for us), and the way the national team has been handled and managed since then is not only his fault either.

What's clear is that the federation and BÅG have burnt bridges, gone back on their word on a few occassions, and neglected maintaining key relationships on behalf of detremental relationships. The national team could easily have had a certain core of players, which could also have led to a certain amount of pride to make the team. To keep a core from one olympics to the other, but never match those guys in between the OGs is getting the cart before the horse in my book.

Anyway, IMO, BÅG is just a talking head. The problems don't go away becasue BÅG gets the axe unfortunately.

Last edited by Ribban: 12-29-2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: typo
Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:31 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 1562
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
He was a really great player for the Capitals in the 80's, but I have never liked them. Nuff said.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:54 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
To bad the Capitals convinced the NHL that the oilers could not have protected him when they came into the NHL--as a player--he would have been in the hall of fame with Kurri and Gretz if he spent 10 years playing with wayne

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:01 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
WC 2007 roster:
Ersberg, Backlund, Henriksson
Kenny Jonsson, Akerman, Enstrom, Stralman, Sandstrom, Hallberg, Tarnstrom, M.Johansson
Backstrom, Hornqvist, Jorgen Jonsson, Davidsson, Thornberg, Steen, R.Wallin, Warg, Kahnberg, Mansson, Emvall, Bremberg, Hedstrom

4th place isn't good for this team? It was by far the worst roster amongst semi-finalists.

2008 roster:
Lundqvist, Tellqvist, Liv
Edler, Frogren, Murray, Kenny Jonsson, M.Johansson, Fernholm, Stralman, N.Wallin
Backstrom, Hornqvist, R.Nilsson, Johan Andersson, Ekman, Fabricius, M.Holmqvist, Ledin, Martensson, Weinhandl, R.Wallin, Widingб Warg, M.Nilson.

Once again, not an impressive roster by any means.
And why do we have those rosters? Because he doesn't have any sort of dialog with his players. I bet at the time players are beaten out of the NHL playoffs they are absolutely oblivious whether or not they are offered a spot at the WCH. At the same time they are very disappointed so they might aswell just call it a season, because if there has been no contact, why would he show interest at this point..

The naming of players to the EHT-tournaments becomes even more a farce when players are actually injured at the time they are named, with him being clueless. It's not just how the team is doing, also all the things around that makes me wanna go nuts.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:25 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
And why do we have those rosters? Because he doesn't have any sort of dialog with his players. I bet at the time players are beaten out of the NHL playoffs they are absolutely oblivious whether or not they are offered a spot at the WCH. At the same time they are very disappointed so they might aswell just call it a season, because if there has been no contact, why would he show interest at this point..

The naming of players to the EHT-tournaments becomes even more a farce when players are actually injured at the time they are named, with him being clueless. It's not just how the team is doing, also all the things around that makes me wanna go nuts.
Although I'm no fan of BÅG, and I agree that an ongoing dialog with the people over here should be handled much better in every aspect, I think it is unfair to blame it all on BÅG.

The WCH teams is more or less recreation for the pros. Their livelyhood is dependent on the condition of their bodies. When the season is over you go straight to the doc to see how banged up you are, and you start treatment and/or rehab a.s.a.p. to be ready for next season and remove all doubt with your management that you might not be ready to produce at the same or higher level for next season.

Going to the WCH is a risk, and sometimes a calculated one. If you start looking past the "glory" or "moral" arguments and get to brass tax for these guys, you'll find that most people showing up are:

1. In a contract year and may need the WCH to show that they can still produce on a relatively high level of play.
2. They have been injured and/or have been out of the game for some other reason and want the ice time.
3. They have had a so-so season with their team and need a confidence boost and/or #1.
4. They enjoy coming back to see and play with old friends (like Sundin used to say, "Call Peter and see if he's coming then get back to me.")

However, it's really only the fourth bullet that the coach has much control over (is the national team an enjoyable experience worthwhile giving up vacation and further family time for?). As I understand it, there are quite a few people today who don't think #4 is all that and a bag of chips, in no small part because of the management.

When Samuelsson ripped the Tre Kronor management, he simply said what many are thinking.

The scouting of our pros is not very impressive, but then again, BÅG's relationship with his core is good enough that he can lean on them for advise (Lidström recommending Murray), which seems to be as good of a solution as any if you want to conserve cash. But, what bothers me is that the federation seems to have the manners of a goat and what/how/when things are being said by BÅG come out as more or less offensive at times, which isn't working wonders for Tre Kronor's status among any of the prospective Tre Kronor players, I bet.

They should have let him go after the double in 2006 and started building for 2010. It was time then, and I honestly think we missed the boat a bit, which will be tough to admitt and recover from sooner rather than later.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
jfc64

Love him, as do everyone else who is a player on his teams. A player's coach who really knows the game. Should be NHL coach. His verbal skills is poor as it should be with hockey players (the aggression in the game kills the formation of sentences). One of the few people that has made Gretzky lose his cool. Can form teams with mediocre material. A- (should bend over to the majority more in unimportant and strategic matters).

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 06:24 PM
johnny_rudeboy

He thinks several steps ahead and dont waste time treating his players as kids but look at them as grown up professionals.
To early to tell if he should stay. If we win gold again or atleast make it to the final then sure, give him another run if he wants to.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:24 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 1562
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Fail-BÅG, not only did he fail on the strategical level when he picked players. He also failed on the tactical level with outrageous coaching during the tournament. Bloody Påhlsson on the last minutes against Slovakia for example - I guess he was surprised himself. Or not trying to match the players after how good they play put only sticking to the initial plan. Forsberg with Sedins was like to little to late, I hope BÅG is happy with trying Weinhandl with them even when it was clear to all and sundry that it didn't work. Good God, you are braindead BÅG, I am SO happy that you are ousted from the job.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

So frustrated with his inability to coach.

He will be coach at the WCs too right?

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:10 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
He will be coach at the WCs too right?
Yup. Really hope that Mårts will get the reigns rightaway here, though. Would be great to see MPS or maybe even Tedenby get a chance in Germany. No more Wargs or Fabrciuses on the WC team, please.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:51 AM
I R Baboon

He wont coach. That's not what he does. He'll rule the national team with an iron fist.

I R Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:45 AM
KRM

Give credit where credit is due; He did an excellent job transforming the structure of Tre Kronor after Hardy, and it led to some fine performances 2004—2009. But after the EHT win in 2007 I think it started to go downhill fast, we've been terrible in the EHT since then, and only managed to do somewhat decent at the Worlds (matching up fine against Russia and Canada but losing to nations like Latvia and Swistzerland).

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Yup. Really hope that Mårts will get the reigns rightaway here, though. Would be great to see MPS or maybe even Tedenby get a chance in Germany. No more Wargs or Fabrciuses on the WC team, please.
Johan Andersson, Fredrik Emvall, Per Hallberg, Fredrik Lindgren

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:22 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

I would have said yes before the Olympics.

Now... get him out as soon as possible

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 07:03 AM
GoHomez

Where do you guys think he will end up?

Back to Switzerland?
KHL?
SEL?

Allsvenskan, back to Bofors?

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote