HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs projected Cap / line-up in 2010-2011

Old
06-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
whats the cap hit for Eller? 1,271 or 0,875 (without the bonuses)?

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:01 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyb View Post
If you keeps pleks at 4.5-5 million a season for a 5-6 year deal then what are you going to in 2 years with gomez still on the books, pleks on the books, and Eller could be in for a raise, plus having Leblanc and possible this years 1st rounder (depending who we pick) knocking on the door.

Pleks money could be used to fill other holes in this team.
In 2 years (after 2011-12 season) Gomez will have 2 years and $10M total left on his contract. There are lots of teams that are miles away from the cap limit who could ignore the 7.4 cap hit and see Gomez at $5.5/$4.5 over 2 years as fair value for what he does. Montreal could, if they wanted, make a half-sensible hockey trade vs. a straight out salary dump. So there's 7.4M in cap saved. 2011-12 also spells the end of Spacek's contract so there 3.8M more. Easy peasy as my 6 year old would say.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Mattyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
In 2 years (after 2011-12 season) Gomez will have 2 years and $10M total left on his contract. There are lots of teams that are miles away from the cap limit who could ignore the 7.4 cap hit and see Gomez at $5.5/$4.5 over 2 years as fair value for what he does. Montreal could, if they wanted, make a half-sensible hockey trade vs. a straight out salary dump. So there's 7.4M in cap saved. 2011-12 also spells the end of Spacek's contract so there 3.8M more. Easy peasy as my 6 year old would say.
I understand what your saying, and you do make good points, but your leaving a lot of faith that are going to be able to get ride of contract, and what if Pleks goes back down to 60-65 point player are you going to be able to live with 12-13 million locked up in two centers who get a grand total 120-130 points? Don't get me wrong I like Pleks a lot and would hate to see him go but we just cant keep players we like if there are potential cheaper options out there you you feel can put up relatively close numbers. If pleks gets 5m/yr which i think is what hes looking for that's then we could have almost 40 million committed to 8 players. plus next year Markov, gorges, A.Kost, Patches will all need new contracts, if you pay too much money for too many players we are going to end up like CHI have so much talent and going to lose it for less than market value.

Just doesn't make sense to me to spend 5 million on pleks if there are other options i would rather fill other holes in the line up.

Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:36 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
This will never get old:

2010-11 DEFENDING STANLEY CUP CHAMPION Chicago Blackhawks
Fixed. They'll certainly bury/buy out Huet's 5.6M. If they sweetened the pot with a prospect or pick or two they could find a taker for Campbell's contract (he's overpaid vs. the cap but still a very good player) or they'll deal off a couple of secondary guys like Versteeg for picks or B prospects.

And I predict the defending champs, with that core still intact, will attract a couple fo useful UFA vets on cheap contracts where guys will take a lesser contract to have a good chance at a Cup.

It could blow up on them for sure, but there's a pretty good chance the Hawks get out of this mess and still enter the 2010-11 season as Cup favorites.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Talent Analyst

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanek-Kostitsyn
Pacioretty-Eller-Sergei Kostitsyn
Pyatt-Lapierre-Moen

Markov-Subban
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gill-Gorges

Price
Biron

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
WG

Quote:
I understand what your saying, and you do make good points, but your leaving a lot of faith that are going to be able to get ride of contract, and what if Pleks goes back down to 60-65 point player are you going to be able to live with 12-13 million locked up in two centers who get a grand total 120-130 points? Don't get me wrong I like Pleks a lot and would hate to see him go but we just cant keep players we like if there are potential cheaper options out there you you feel can put up relatively close numbers. If pleks gets 5m/yr which i think is what hes looking for that's then we could have almost 40 million committed to 8 players. plus next year Markov, gorges, A.Kost, Patches will all need new contracts, if you pay too much money for too many players we are going to end up like CHI have so much talent and going to lose it for less than market value.

Just doesn't make sense to me to spend 5 million on pleks if there are other options i would rather fill other holes in the line up.
This is probably where we diverge. I don't see many palatable options for a #1/2 centre who will cost less. We either pay Pleks $4-4.5M (FWIW I wouldn't go 5) or pay Marleau $6M plus (unless you get him to sign one of those 17-year deals to lower the cap hit). Absent that you pay somebody like Lombardi about $3M to be a really poor man's #2 or go with guys like Moore for $2M or less and ask them to play way over their heads. Or throw Eller into the fire and make it even harder on him that it'll already be. I'm not that comfortable going into the season with Gomez and a bunch of question marks as the centre depth.

I'd rather pay Gomez and Pleks/Marleau for next year then sort it out if Eller/Leblanc/ etc. are ready for bigger roles in two years.

Almost all of my plans for the 2010-11 team are predicated on having Hamrlik and his 5.5M hit gone but even if he's kept, $40M for 8 players leaves about $1.1M per player to fill the roster and that's not too far out of line, you've got a bunch of young guys and middling vets who don't get that much anyway. You probably could squeeze most of last year's supporting cast in for $18M and stay right at the limit.

As for future contracts, even if Hamrlik is kept on, his 5.5 comes off after next season and of the group you cited I don't see Markov/MaxPac/AKost being a whole lot more than what they are now. Gorges will get a deserved raise which comes from Hammer's cap hit, and the influx of young guys like Weber and Trotter will offset raises to Pouliot, Lapierre et al.

Or so I'd hope.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:26 PM
odishabs

keepers: eller, subban, markov, gorges, price, gomez, gionta, lapierre, moen, cammy.

shop: akost, skost, hamrlik/spacek.

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
2010-11 MONTREAL CANADIENS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
* Benoit Pouliot ($0.875m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
* Ilya Kovalchuk ($8.800m) / Lars Eller ($1.271m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
* Dominic Moore ($1.200m) / * Eric Belanger ($1.650m) / * Matthew Lombardi ($2.600m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / * Maxim Lapierre ($0.800m) / * Evgeny Artyukhin ($0.950m)
* Tom Pyatt ($0.875m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / * Johnny Boychuk ($2.000m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / Josh Gorges ($1.100m)
Ryan O'Byrne ($0.942m)
GOALTENDERS
* Carey Price ($2.400m) / * Antero Niittymaki ($0.650m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $59.178m; CAP ROOM: $0.047m BONUSES: $0.425m

UFA's:Ilya Kovalchuk , Dominic Moore , Eric Belanger , Matthew Lombardi , Evgeny Artyukhin , Johnny Boychuk , Antero Niittymaki

Trades:
to Wild: Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergie Kostitsyn, rights to Plekanec, Harmlik, habs 2010 first round pick (27th)
to Montreal: wild 2010 first round pick (9th), Erik Haula
Never gonna happen, WILD are trying to re-build, why trade away a top 10 pick if you're trying to re-build? Makes no sense.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:54 PM
coolasprICE

a lot of you have been including Sergei ... I think he's done as a hab

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:07 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
I thought this to at first then I thought bout how A.Kost played the last time his contract was going to expire, I would keep him hope he plays great to try and get a good contract next year, and either deal him at the deadline or trade his right next spring ( I believe his is still RFA).. As for S.Kost I think he has a future in the NHL just not with Montreal he isnt any better than our top 6 forwards and is useless in a bottom 6 role, so trade him for a pick or a real bottom 6 forward, I also think A.Kost will be better not having to babysit his little brother.
If we actually want to improve going into the next season, this is not an option.

I've been patient. Very patient with Andrei. Even after his difficult season this year, I was willing to wait and let him a chance to perform/compete. I was not asking for miracles. Just a consistant effort.

Well, his no-show all playoffs long is unforgiveable. It's just as travesty as you can get. It's disgusting. There are no words to describe how disgraceful it was to see him repeatedly keep trying the same things again and again, making the same mistakes, and lacking of dedication to the team as a whole. And what his brother pulled in the playoffs just certainly didn't help.

At some point, enough is enough. You've got to get out there and get someone who'll bring something to your team, whether it's a Clowe, a Sharp, a Versteeg, a Frolov or someone else. We need consistancy, hard-work, and dedication. But first of all, we need to know what to expect from our top-6 forwards.

Andrei had all the chances in the world. He might pull it somewhere else, he's just never going to work out as a forward under Martin's system. Sergei might have had a better chance, had he been more clever. Unfortunately, it's not the case.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
If we actually want to improve going into the next season, this is not an option.

I've been patient. Very patient with Andrei. Even after his difficult season this year, I was willing to wait and let him a chance to perform/compete. I was not asking for miracles. Just a consistant effort.

Well, his no-show all playoffs long is unforgiveable. It's just as travesty as you can get. It's disgusting. There are no words to describe how disgraceful it was to see him repeatedly keep trying the same things again and again, making the same mistakes, and lacking of dedication to the team as a whole. And what his brother pulled in the playoffs just certainly didn't help.

At some point, enough is enough. You've got to get out there and get someone who'll bring something to your team, whether it's a Clowe, a Sharp, a Versteeg, a Frolov or someone else. We need consistancy, hard-work, and dedication. But first of all, we need to know what to expect from our top-6 forwards.

Andrei had all the chances in the world. He might pull it somewhere else, he's just never going to work out as a forward under Martin's system. Sergei might have had a better chance, had he been more clever. Unfortunately, it's not the case.
I aswered you on the Kostitsyn deleted post but the thread was close when I hit the button

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Ismellofhockey

I think this lineup would look good:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pyatt - Lapierre - Moen
Pacioretty - Eller - M-A Bergeron

Markov - Subban
Hamrlik - Spacek
Gorges - Gill
O'Byrne

Price
Hedberg

PP1: Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn - Markov - Subban
PP2: hot hand - Gomez - Gionta - Spacek - Bergeron
PK1: Pyatt - Lapierre - Markov - Spacek
PK2: Gionta - Gomez - Hamrlik - Gill
PK3: Plekanec - Moen - Markov - Gorges

If you can improve on Kostitsyn, do it.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:09 AM
FF de Mars

Kovalchuk-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Eller-Kostsitsyn
Lapierre-Bélanger-Pouliot
White-Pyatt-Moen

Markov-Korneev
Subban-O'Byrne
Gorges-Gill

Price

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:47 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
Cammy Pleks Akost
Pouliot Gomez Gio
Pyatt Eller Armstrong
Moen Moore Lapierre
Maxwell

Markov PK
Hammer Spacek
Gill Gorges

Price
Biron
AK46 has to get off the RW where his weaka** backhanded, pathetic attempts to get out of our zone continuously backfire and lead to us getting hemmed in for whole shifts sometimes.

Pouliot Gomez Gio
Cammy Pleks Armstrong
AK46 Eller Moen
Pyatt Moore Lapierre
...Trotter (not waiver exempt, Maxwell is)

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 02:56 AM
Ginu

I've heard that we're after Horton (us, Boston and a few others). If we can get rid of the brothers plus more for Horton, he and Eller would revitalize our lineup:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Horton
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Pyatt
Moen - Moore - Lapierre

I think that's the forward lines we're looking at right now. If not Horton, I think we'll try to go after Sharp.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Habs 1909

Forget about signing an Eric Belanger type of player or a third or 4th line center. Give Ryan White a shot.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:28 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Forget about signing an Eric Belanger type of player or a third or 4th line center. Give Ryan White a shot.
depth at center is CRUCIAL... ryan white will be able to come up in season. and he's better suited to play on the wing

ben maxwell & lars are next up at center

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 08:35 AM
TheBuriedHab

MAG said he wouldn't be surprised if Montreal were in the hunt for Horton. I don't know what they would want from the habs that we are willing to give up. Maybe our first + kostitsyns for horton? I doubt it but if we get Horton our top 6 looks way better.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Aurel Joliat

Horton is on the way to Boston

Big, physical players = Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia...
Small players = Montreal

Always the same thing

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Oleg Petrov

Here's my attempt given the Halak trade.

1) Sign Hedberg 1 year $1 mill.
2) Re-Sign Plekanec 8 year $36 Million. $4.5 Million/year.
3) Re-Sign Pouliot at 850K, Pyatt at 600K one way deals.
4) Re-Sign Moore 3 year $6 million. $2 million/year.
5) Re-Sign Lapierre 2 year $3 million. $1.5 Million/year.
6) Re-sign Price 1 year $1.5 million. $1.5 Million/year.
7) Re-sign Trotter 1 year $550K/$105K. 2-way.
8) Trade the rights to SK for a draft pick.
9) Sign Taylor Pyatt 2 year $3 Million. $1.5 Million/year.

Gomez - Gionta - Pouliot = $13.15
Cammy - Plekanec - AKost = $13.75
Taylor Pyatt - Moore - Lapierre = $5.0
Moen - White - Tom Pyatt -Trotter =$3.4
$35.3

Markov Subban = $6.65
Hamirlik Spacek = $9.333
Gill Gorges = $3.35
O'Byrne = $.942
$20.275

Price = $1.5
Hedberg = $1.0
$2.5

Laraque buyout = $0.5

TOTAL CAP HIT: $58.575

Projected Cap: $58.6

A few points:
-Not a huge change from last year.
-Committing 8 years to Pleks is the only way to keep the average low.
-You hope that Eller performs well at Training Camp it will allow AKOST to be moved.
-If Eller doesn't make the top 6, he plays in Hamilton and is the first callup.
-Given the uncertainty of Markov's injury. I don't think it would be wise to move Hamirlik or Spacek until the trade deadline.
-If Weber, Carle or Nash is playing great in Hamilton look for Gill or O'Byrne to be moved at the deadline.

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Aurel Joliat

8 years for Plekanec ? What if he has a 39 points season like last year ?

I don't trust this players in a long term deal

Old
06-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Oleg Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
8 years for Plekanec ? What if he has a 39 points season like last year ?

I don't trust this players in a long term deal
Unfortunatley, I don't see many other options.

PROS
He plays 80 Games a year.
He will put up at least 60 points a year with Cammy.
Top PK player.

NEGS
Not Physical
Has yet to meet expectations in playoffs

I don't think there is anyone out there or coming up that can even come close to what Pleks brings to the team at $4.5.

Old
06-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
Unfortunatley, I don't see many other options.

PROS
He plays 80 Games a year.
He will put up at least 60 points a year with Cammy.
Top PK player.

NEGS
Not Physical
Has yet to meet expectations in playoffs

I don't think there is anyone out there or coming up that can even come close to what Pleks brings to the team at $4.5.
You can add inconstant in NEGS
47 pts, 69 pts
39 pts, 70 pts

Old
06-19-2010, 11:26 AM
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
This will never get old:

2010-11 Chicago Blackhawks
FORWARDS
Jonathan Toews — $6,300,000
Patrick Kane — $6,300,000
Marian Hossa — $5,275,000
Patrick Sharp — $3,900,000
Dave Bolland — $3,375,000
Kris Versteeg — $3,083,333
Dustin Byfuglien — $3,000,000
Tomas Kopecky — $1,200,000
Troy Brouwer — $1,025,000
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell — $7,142,875
Duncan Keith — $5,538,462
Brent Seabrook — $3,500,000
Brent Sopel — $2,333,333
GOALTENDERS
Cristobal Huet — $5,625,000
BUYOUTS
NONE
LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS
NONE
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 14
SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $57,598,003
BONUSES $0
CAP SPACE $-798,003
Actually Chicago is technically 5M over the cap for next season. Because of playoff bonuses the team went 4M over the cap THIS season and have a league imposed penalty that knocks the excess off of next seasons cap. The rest of the league will have a 56M cap and the Hawks will have a 52M cap.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Oleg Petrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
You can add inconstant in NEGS
47 pts, 69 pts
39 pts, 70 pts
47 PTS. was his first full season in the league, so that doesn't count.

I will agree that the 39 points was a disaster, but do you have many fond memories from the 08-09 season?

Do you honestly think that he will get 39 points playing a full season with Cammalleri?