HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What ails Joe, when it comes out, will change all your minds about his play...

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 06:17 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

vCash: 500
Thanks for the post, Glenn.

My question is, everyone knows there's an injury and he's playing through it, why the zipped lips as to the specifics of it?

Old
04-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
I don't think he will get better without time off. It has been rumored in the media for a few weeks now that his injury is to the ribs area. Montreal has been hitting him more and more and he is showing the pain on the ice. I would believe that every team will go after his injury. Therefore, he will have no time to heal and it really comes down to a question of how much pain he can take. Imagine them playing Philly and Primeau and co. pounding him every chance. I don't see any prospect for improvement without him taking the summer to recover.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants
Thanks for the post, Glenn.

My question is, everyone knows there's an injury and he's playing through it, why the zipped lips as to the specifics of it?
Would you want a blueprint of *exactly* where to hit Thornton to inflict the most pain and damage being public domain?

I didn't think so...

Old
04-18-2004, 06:21 PM
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Imagine them playing Philly and Primeau and co. pounding him every chance. I don't see any prospect for improvement without him taking the summer to recover.
Yeah, that's kind of my fear, 'cause as much as les smurfettes have been hitting Joe, I haven't really got the impression that they've been 'targetting' him ... just taking the opportunities when they exist ... other teams (starting with the Flyers) will go at him harder I'm sure.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
I think the secrecy about his injury is the extent, not the area. It is not a huge secret that he has a problem in the ribs. But if Montreal thinks they can apply some serious hurt to him, they will ratchet up the efforts to do so. Same with Philly and whoever else they may face. I'm sure the hope is that by keeping this quiet they will buy Joe a small amount of relief. However, I think Montreal can see Joe's pain after a big hit (such as last night) and they are increasingly keying on that. Also, I think Joe did take a turn for the worse a couple games ago and his play has declined the past 2 games.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
I think the secrecy about his injury is the extent, not the area. It is not a huge secret that he has a problem in the ribs. But if Montreal thinks they can apply some serious hurt to him, they will ratchet up the efforts to do so. Same with Philly and whoever else they may face. I'm sure the hope is that by keeping this quiet they will buy Joe a small amount of relief. However, I think Montreal can see Joe's pain after a big hit (such as last night) and they are increasingly keying on that. Also, I think Joe did take a turn for the worse a couple games ago and his play has declined the past 2 games.
Very true.

But there is something outside of the rib injury as well that he's dealing with...

Old
04-18-2004, 06:23 PM
erfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
So the question is....why is he in the lineup?

Flame away.
Thornton with 10 broken ribs, a herniated disk, a broken leg, and a giant fork sticking out from his back is still better than Craig MacDonald. His mere existence in a uniform gives the opposing team something other than the Nylander line to worry about. His ineffectiveness this postseason is amplified by Sullivan's persistence in keeping the 700-lb line together while the Canadiens skate circles around them.

BTW, is Sully being outcoached this series? By a wide margin. He has 1 game to adapt to changing conditions.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
I'm guessing there is something similar going on with Gonchar. I actually have little basis for this speculation except what my eyes are telling me. To see Thornton and Gonchar kind of fade into the background in a big series, and to see them laboring on innocent plays, it just tells me things are not right. Even when Gonchar is "struggling defensively" he does not look as shakey as he has the past few games. Anybody, Kirk, care to say whether the theory of Gonchar being injured is "cold" or "warm?"

Old
04-18-2004, 06:26 PM
EspOrrsito
edumacated

If Joe does have some serious ailment and maybe shouldn't even be playing then shouldn't his teammates be rallying around their Captain and busting their butts?

Old
04-18-2004, 06:27 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
Would you want a blueprint of *exactly* where to hit Thornton to inflict the most pain and damage being public domain?

I didn't think so...
No, I guess not... but then again, wouldn't Montreal already by now have a strong suspicion as to where it is and is targeting that area? If it was a rib/back injury, and he's wearing some sort of extra padding to protect these areas, wouldn't Montreal players feel this when they make body contact with him?

EDIT: Just saw your post in response to Blackeye's.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
We have seen Nylander and, last night, Samsonov step up and show that they too are world class talents who can make big plays in big games. We need another couple of players to come through in Game 7. There is way too much focus on just Thornton. Put it this way... if the whole team stinks and he is great, they will lose. If the whole team is great and he stinks, they will probably win. It is more important that Nylander and Samsonov continue stepping up and that Bergeron, Murray, Rolston and others also play their absolute best games. I really think the spotlight on Thornton is unfortunate because this is only deflecting attention from a lot of other players who need to perform very well to get this done.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants
No, I guess not... but then again, wouldn't Montreal already by now have a strong suspicion as to where it is and is targeting that area? If it was a rib/back injury, and he's wearing some sort of extra padding to protect these areas, wouldn't Montreal players feel this when they make body contact with him?
Read posts 31 and 32...

I hate to sound nebulous, but it will all come out.

Once an opponent knows specifics, they can gameplan around how to really make your life miserable. The Bruins can't have that right now.

Let's just leave it at that and hope that Thornton emerges as one of the heroes on Monday. Because, let's face it- if the B's are depending on just one player to carry them, they won't win.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Wow, Kevin-

Are we on the same wavelength or what?

Old
04-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiahockey
wow- what does begin have to play through? and does he carry 3 checkers through all 3 zones on his back every second of every shift?
carry 3 checkers through all 3 zones on his back every second of every shift?

...if you're inferring that's what Joe does, then you've lost your credibility with me.

Sitting on the bench the other night, it was quite visible that Joe is wearing some sort of protection for his ribs under his sweater. A flak jacket type vest or something. The top of it could be seen at the V in his sweater as he adjusted some equipment. Could be broken ribs......he sure does look pale and drawn in the face. Thought he played pretty well the other night, and seems stronger with each game.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
What's the frequency, Captain Kirk?

Another thing to think about when asking whether Thornton should be in or out of the lineup is the distraction it creates for Montreal if he's in there. If Thornton is on the ice, it is a fact that the Canadiens will be keying on him to stop him and his line. Even if Joe is hurt, or is just not getting it done, or whatever, this should decrease the focus and quality of opponent that players like Rolston and Nylander have to face. If nothing else, Joe is like a decoy that should be creating better opporunities for his teammates. Now it is up to them to be man of the hour.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:37 PM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Quote:
What's the frequency, Captain Kirk?

Another thing to think about when asking whether Thornton should be in or out of the lineup is the distraction it creates for Montreal if he's in there. If Thornton is on the ice, it is a fact that the Canadiens will be keying on him to stop him and his line. Even if Joe is hurt, or is just not getting it done, or whatever, this should decrease the focus and quality of opponent that players like Rolston and Nylander have to face. If nothing else, Joe is like a decoy that should be creating better opporunities for his teammates. Now it is up to them to be man of the hour.

Couldn't have said it any better myself...

Old
04-18-2004, 06:40 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

I honestly don't know what to think. I desperately want the Bruins to win the Cup or at the very least go deep into the playoffs. I am disappointed with Thornton's play & have spoken harshly about it on other boards, but after reading the posts by scotiahockey & Kirk-NEHJ I am now aware that his injury (injuries?) are much more serious than I had thought. And as much as I want the Bruins to win I don't want to at the expense of Joe's future health or the rest of his career. What is a Bruins fan to do?

Old
04-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC
What is a Bruins fan to do?
Get behind your captain and team.

He's earned that much.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
>> What is a Bruins fan to do?

1) Remember that the series is tied 3-3. All is not lost!
2) Remember that we are playing our arch rival and it is never easy. It is not ever meant to be easy against Montreal. Like Samuel Jackson said in Unbreakable, "every super hero needs a super villain." It is as if the ghosts of the past 80 years step into the bodies of the current players and all relative-regular-season stats and point totals become meaningless and the age old, even-steven tong war resumes anew.
3) Remember that Joe is one player and there are a lot of teammates who can also make big plays and show the desire to step up when their leader is hurting.
4) Even in the face of adversity, believe! Nothing is ever won by giving up before the game is played.

BELIEVE BELIEVE BELIEVE
BRUINS WIN GAME 7

Old
04-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Corey

Given this speculation about where Thornton is injured, it would be logical for him to avoid contact with Komisarek, who has the size to take him down without hooking or tripping him.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:48 PM
MAINE-IAC

I feel a little stupid getting on joe's case today. i would like to explain a few things as to why maybe some of us got on joe. first of all I defended him thruout most of the series because it was obvious that he was hurt. but after the 3rd game it came out that joe was doing alot better and to look for him to start making a difference. sinse he had played the first 2 games and was saying he felt alot better I assumed he was close to 100%.you would have to admit that when a guy can skate, shoot, pass and not act like he is in pain one would assume that he is ok.

you also cant take away the past. joe has under achieved the past 2 years in the playoffs. he was healthy then and alot of people think he just is the same old joe. I for one thought that joe really stepped it up this year. i didnt think he would be the same as before in the playoffs. so with what you guys are saying then he must be hurt.

i cant imagine why sully would come out to the public and say things like joe is going to have a good game tonight. kind of makes us all feel like he is close to being healthy and to have high expectations.anyways ,with what you say i realize that we should all just lay off a guy thats hurt. you cant expect alot from a injured player no matter who it is.

I think the thing that bugs me even more is that no one on the 700 lb line can step it up and take some pressure off joe.alot of teams find a way to get by without there star player but not the bruins so far.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:49 PM
EspOrrsito
edumacated

Quote:

2) Remember that we are playing our arch rival and it is never easy. It is not ever meant to be easy against Montreal. Like Samuel Jackson said in Unbreakable, "every super hero needs a super villain." It is as if the ghosts of the past 80 years step into the bodies of the current players and all relative-regular-season stats and point totals become meaningless and the age old, even-steven tong war resumes anew.
3) Remember that Joe is one player and there are a lot of teammates who can also make big plays and show the desire to step up when their leader is hurting.
4) Even in the face of adversity, believe! Nothing is ever won by giving up before the game is played.

BELIEVE BELIEVE BELIEVE
BRUINS WIN GAME 7
Black Eye, can you sneak into the Bruins dressing room and write #1 through #4 on the wall.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
Hey, there are many better leaders in that dressing room than me, that's for sure. I see a lot of talk about how the Bruins don't look like they care, etc. I don't see that myself, but be that as it may. But I am positive that, probably to a man, those players are trying to get themselves pumped up and are listening to some inspirational and calming talk from some of the vets, coach, et al. Most of us have 0% idea what happens within that locker room, but I would be shocked to hear that it is any less strong in character than any other locker room in the NHL.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
MAINE-IAC, it's an emotional thing. No one needs to apologize for being frustrated, injury or not. Bruins fans take it all very seriously and the losses hurt for real. I was a senior in High School when the too many men on the ice thing happened (against Montreal). The next day at school, I did not say a word to anyone all day, I was so mad and upset. Speaking for myself, I just think it's important to keep a positive attitude and cheer the team on until the ride is over. You also have to enjoy this stuff a little, and it is 3-3 after all. Am I worried, disappointed, wondering what's going on? Sure, just like anyone else. I'm just not ready to start kicking holes in the wall until it's over. Believe me, I say things in the heat of the moment just like anyone else who cares about this team.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:57 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:

BELIEVE BELIEVE BELIEVE
BRUINS WIN GAME 7
Excellent advice Black Eye Thank you and Kirk-NEHJ for helping this Bruins fan get back on track GO BRUINS!!! KILL THE HABS!!!!

Closed Thread