HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B Dec. 26 Czech Republic 1, Sweden 10

View Poll Results: Pick the winner
Czechs 14 13.86%
Swedes 87 86.14%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2009, 03:44 AM
McCullogh

vCash: 500
Well, who cares if some benches are missing in a locker room. :/

Really pleased with the way Sweden played even though there is some room for improvement. I was pretty sure we would win this game but didnt think it would be by a nine goal margin.

Old
12-27-2009, 06:38 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
So what happened in Leksand?

Can we try not to start a flame war please?
Ok you got us, placing a tournament in Mora and Leksand is not fair play either.

Old
12-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
These things happen every big tournament, from Canada Cup in the 80s and forward. It is a way for Canadians to mess with their opponents. I think it used to bother the teams but now they are so used to it and prepared for it that I would be very surprised if it was a big deal.
Actually these things have happened everywhere, not just Canada. It's not quite as common anymore but tournament organizers tried these type of things on the host countries main rival or Soviets or Canada way back when. I remember long time Finnish hockey fed boss Kalervo Kummola complaining about the Finnish locker room before the start of some tournament, an issue which he had to rectify.

Old
12-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Anyone heard the Swedish dressing room had been stripped of practically everything that was loose? TVs, benches, etc... and that even doors to extra rooms had been nailed shut. Just to remove any extra comfort for the Swedes.

That's just bush league, but expected in Canada.

When Gretzky held his news conference in Salt Lake and talked about how the rest of the hockey world hates Canada, the European media and posters here laughed at him. He was absolutely correct, as gems like this prove.

So let me get this straight, Swedish players have to stand up in their dressing rooms? And they don't get to watch TV between periods?

Old
12-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Alle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
Yes, cause turning the puck over, losing his edge all the time, scared of hitting, scared of taking hits and generally not being himself is all great as long as he gets a few points when the team scores 10 goals.
That doesnt say as much about his performance in the match, as it does about how much better he can play. He came out of the match with five points, and only needed a mediocre performance to do so then. That says a lot to me. Cant wait to see him dish out one of his better performances.

MPS is not my personal favorie in the team, nor can i claim im a huge fan. I am not here to claim that he neccessarely has the biggest potential or is the best player in the team (in fact I do not think so). But one cannot deny that he has a level of physique and hockey experience which few players in this tournament can compare to. That goals came with him on the ice, him himself having five points; it would be foolish to consider a coincidence. And yet, this is one of two tournaments left being eligible for at this level. If the points came as many would expect them to or not concerns me less, im glad he has more methods up his sleeve.

Naturally it would be pleasing to see some more speed as well (altough he already did demonstrate his good skating ability, he doesnt have to be skating at maximum all the time everywhere), and i'd also be ready to call it a better performance to contributive in more decisive moments and ways, against different opposition, maybe when the team needs it more. Performance can certainly not only be measured in points. Nevertheless Id be pleased, he contributed what was needed against the Czechs and became a good piece of the puzzle to win that match. Its about the circumstances also, he contributed what the team needed in that match.

This discussion seems to me increasingly ridiculous the more I think of it, he did a great match and was great for the team. To look for things to critizice reminds me of when ive observed coaches overanalyzing and overaltering a teams game, despite playing well, because of a loss or two, which will always happen, only to set things off track. Yes, maybe the team will be looking for him to contribute some different qualities in other matches, but he did fine against the Czechs.

Old
12-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Czech hockey is going nowhere, atleast for next 10 or 15 years.
After communism ended, there was no "transfer plan" and strategy what so ever. Talented kids from poor families are not able to play hockey simply because they can't afford it.
Maybe it's turning around now, but in next 15 years, Czech hockey will be nowhere teams which won 1998 Olympics or stacked 2005 WCH during the lockout.
Is it too late to reunite with Slovakia? You'd have Tatar on the junior team, Chara-Hossa-Gaborik for the olympics. Not bad.

Old
12-27-2009, 02:13 PM
timmeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
That doesnt say as much about his performance in the match, as it does about how much better he can play. He came out of the match with five points, and only needed a mediocre performance to do so then. That says a lot to me. Cant wait to see him dish out one of his better performances.

MPS is not my personal favorie in the team, nor can i claim im a huge fan. I am not here to claim that he neccessarely has the biggest potential or is the best player in the team (in fact I do not think so). But one cannot deny that he has a level of physique and hockey experience which few players in this tournament can compare to. That goals came with him on the ice, him himself having five points; it would be foolish to consider a coincidence. And yet, this is one of two tournaments left being eligible for at this level. If the points came as many would expect them to or not concerns me less, im glad he has more methods up his sleeve.

Naturally it would be pleasing to see some more speed as well (altough he already did demonstrate his good skating ability, he doesnt have to be skating at maximum all the time everywhere), and i'd also be ready to call it a better performance to contributive in more decisive moments and ways, against different opposition, maybe when the team needs it more. Performance can certainly not only be measured in points. Nevertheless Id be pleased, he contributed what was needed against the Czechs and became a good piece of the puzzle to win that match. Its about the circumstances also, he contributed what the team needed in that match.

This discussion seems to me increasingly ridiculous the more I think of it, he did a great match and was great for the team. To look for things to critizice reminds me of when ive observed coaches overanalyzing and overaltering a teams game, despite playing well, because of a loss or two, which will always happen, only to set things off track. Yes, maybe the team will be looking for him to contribute some different qualities in other matches, but he did fine against the Czechs.
This was all my point, I'm surprised it took you long enough to see it. Playing poorly as he did and still got 5 points shows that he CAN do alot better.

Closed Thread