HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mid Season Top 20

Old
12-26-2009, 01:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Mid Season Top 20

It's up on my site if you want to read it. Pacioretty is a grad, and I left Quailer off the list since he's out for the year.

Top 20

1. PK Subban
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Mac Bennett
4. Danny Kristo
5. Alexander Avtsin
6. Ryan White
7. Ben Maxwell
8. Yannick Weber
9. Tom Pyatt
10. Mathieu Carle
11. Maxim Trunev
12. Joonas Nättinen
13. David Desharnais
14. David Fischer
15. Cédrick Desjardins
16. Brock Trotter
17. Dustin Walsh
18. Joe Stejskal
19. Andreas Engqvist
20. J T Wyman

HM Andrew Conboy, Greg Pateryn, Gabriel Dumont

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:05 PM
coolasprICE

Desjardins only 15?

Do you think he'll be ready for back-up duties next year?

He's only 4 months younger than Halak...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:24 PM
scottyG

IMO Bennett will be the biggest suprise of the group. I've liked that kid since day 1

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:28 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Good list, everyone's more or less where I'd put them.
Also, Dumont is like 2nd on his team in scoring, and playing pretty good hockey in the Q. I'm not overly familiar with him, but is there any reason he didn't crack the top 20?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Nidema

Thanks for the update!

Can you shed a bit more light on Trunev? How is Trunev doing compared to Avtsin? Given Avtsin`s better stats, why was he not invited to WJC whereas Trunev did?

Who would you compare Trunev to?

Thanks!

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:40 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Also, Dumont received last week's Offensive Player of the Week honors, so he seems to be finding his groove production-wise. He's now just outside the top-5 in scoring in the Q, but I guess he's still not as "established" as other forward prospects in the 11-20 range.

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Prendan Brust

Wow, how come Bennett is so high?

Good stuff BTW

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
It's up on my site if you want to read it. Pacioretty is a grad, and I left Quailer off the list since he's out for the year.
always enjoy reading your comments and lists...hey, put a link up to your site....I'm now on a new computer, and all my old links are lost.

12-26-2009, 03:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Desjardins only 15?

Do you think he'll be ready for back-up duties next year?

He's only 4 months younger than Halak...
Desjardins plays on one of the best teams in the league, yes he's on a major hot streak but we'll have to see him do it over the course of the year.

No I don't think he'll be ready to be a backup in the NHL next year, but if he keeps progressing then perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
Good list, everyone's more or less where I'd put them.
Also, Dumont is like 2nd on his team in scoring, and playing pretty good hockey in the Q. I'm not overly familiar with him, but is there any reason he didn't crack the top 20?
Yea Dumont is going to be a fan favorite in Hamilton soon enough. He's all heart but I'd like to see him fill out, and get a little quicker. Great to see the season he's having though, look forward to seeing how he does in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Thanks for the update!

Can you shed a bit more light on Trunev? How is Trunev doing compared to Avtsin? Given Avtsin`s better stats, why was he not invited to WJC whereas Trunev did?

Who would you compare Trunev to?

Thanks!
I don't see much of Trunev, so I'm looking forward to watching him at the wjc's. I've seen him twice in the KHL and while he's on the small side, he's really fast and seems to be slick with the puck. I've heard that he needs to improve his defensive game and use his teammates better. Not sure who I would compare him to.

I would have thought that both Avtsin and Trunev would make the wjc's, since both are in the KHL and both were in the KHL at age 18. Hard to say what the reasons are as to why Avtsin didn't make the team, he's red hot right now so I'm sure Russia could use him, although I'm sure they will have a strong lineup as per usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovForNorris View Post
Also, Dumont received last week's Offensive Player of the Week honors, so he seems to be finding his groove production-wise. He's now just outside the top-5 in scoring in the Q, but I guess he's still not as "established" as other forward prospects in the 11-20 range.
I like what i've seen from Dumont, my concern is that he has a smaller frame to play that brand of hockey at a higher level. He seems to have the talent and the heart but I'd prefer to see him get quicker and fill out more. He's moving up the list for sure but we have a large number of "lower" tier prospects, so he will have his work cut out for him for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Wow, how come Bennett is so high?

Good stuff BTW
I guess I will nomiate myself for president of the Mac Bennett fan club. Granted I've only seen him play against US juniors, so next year we can see how he does against much stronger compeition, but I personally think his upside is sky high. He's got a decent frame, that he should hopefully fill out more, since he is the youngest prospect in our system (Dustin Walsh is 5 days older, lol) I'd say the best part about his game is his poise, he's very smooth on the ice and can rush the puck up ice with ease.

I don't know what kind of offensive upside he has, but his defensive game for a young D is very impressive imo based off limited viewings so far. I loved what I saw from him so I thought he should be ranked higher. I'm very excited for the future of the top 5 we have, in a few years we could really see something from several if not all of them. But we have heard it before, and haven't seen it too often, plus it's very early for many of them, in their development stages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
always enjoy reading your comments and lists...hey, put a link up to your site....I'm now on a new computer, and all my old links are lost.
np, http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rder=0&thold=0

Old
12-26-2009, 03:08 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

After leading the WJC in +/-, gotta love that he has the top +/- on the bulldogs with a +15 mark. 18 points in 30 games, for a rookie pro defenseman, especially after his slow start?

He'll be in Montreal next season without a doubt.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Habs

Are you really that high on Leblanc? I like the rest of your list.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 03:17 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:

I would have thought that both Avtsin and Trunev would make the wjc's, since both are in the KHL and both were in the KHL at age 18. Hard to say what the reasons are as to why Avtsin didn't make the team, he's red hot right now so I'm sure Russia could use him, although I'm sure they will have a strong lineup as per usual.

I heard (in the avtsin thread) that his khl team didn't want him to go.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Maxpac

Very nice list, except that i really don't agree of leaving Dumont out of the top 20, especially for Wyman who imo will never have an NHL job unlike Dumont who's alot more of a sure bet. other then that, very nice list.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Great list as usual. I personnally would have Dumont in and Wyman out of it. I totally agree as far as Bennett is concerned though, I am a little impatient...., I would have expected Bennett's offensive numbers to be higher. But Bennett at worst may turn out as a Josh Gorges.

As far as the Trunev's comparison, I'd go with Afinogenov.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Cool list, I like it! Loved Bennett during the dev camp, he's a great prospect.

What's the deal with Fischer? I never had the chance to see him play other that at the dev camp this year and 2 years ago and I LOVED him. He's tall and a lot more bigger than he used to be 2-3 years ago and also seemed to be the most NHL-ready D-man at the dev camp this year.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Mike8

Interesting enough, though I disagree on the following: Weber (I'd rank much higher); Pyatt (much lower); Fischer (above Desharnais). I'd also probably bump Carle up.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Lizard King*

I'd bump up Desharnais and Desjardins a couple spots up. Desharnais seems like a good player but I think the reason he's down there is his size. Also I haven't seen Desjardins play but he's about the same as Sanford or even better and Sanford has played in the NHL and was pretty solid.

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Galchy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Very nice list, except that i really don't agree of leaving Dumont out of the top 20, especially for Wyman who imo will never have an NHL job unlike Dumont who's alot more of a sure bet. other then that, very nice list.
Uhh, Wyman had an NHL job this year. Three times.

Galchy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 10:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
After leading the WJC in +/-, gotta love that he has the top +/- on the bulldogs with a +15 mark. 18 points in 30 games, for a rookie pro defenseman, especially after his slow start?

He'll be in Montreal next season without a doubt.
Subban is looking very good for the Dogs, can't wait to see how much he can continue to progress. I still wonder if he won't see a game or two with the Habs this year if things continue to go well for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Are you really that high on Leblanc? I like the rest of your list.
Yes, he's got impressive offensive skills and we need that. Once he fills out his frame he should be a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I heard (in the avtsin thread) that his khl team didn't want him to go.
Not true

Quote:
Wyman is perhaps the 2nd most improved Bulldog this year, he is really playing well under Boucher, I don't know what his future holds but he's playing in all situations and looking good, so I wouldn't count him out. If he could just be more physical.

Dumont is doing well in juniors, but we'll see if his small frame can stand up at the next level against bigger/stronger guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great list as usual. I personnally would have Dumont in and Wyman out of it. I totally agree as far as Bennett is concerned though, I am a little impatient...., I would have expected Bennett's offensive numbers to be higher. But Bennett at worst may turn out as a Josh Gorges.

As far as the Trunev's comparison, I'd go with Afinogenov.
I put more into AHL then juniors, so if Dumont can impress next year in Hamilton., like Wyman is, then I'll move him higher for sure.

I don't know much about Bennett's offensive upside, but I love his defensive zone play so I think he'll be a good one just based off that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Cool list, I like it! Loved Bennett during the dev camp, he's a great prospect.

What's the deal with Fischer? I never had the chance to see him play other that at the dev camp this year and 2 years ago and I LOVED him. He's tall and a lot more bigger than he used to be 2-3 years ago and also seemed to be the most NHL-ready D-man at the dev camp this year.
Fischer is tall for sure, that long reach really comes in handy especially on the PK. The problem is that he has the tools but can't really seem to put them together, so he's the top D on his team and it's his 3rd year on the top pairing but at the same time he's never been a standout in the NCAA and that's a big concern after 4 years in the NCAA.

That said there's a lot of talk about some NHL teams being unhappy with the way their prospects have been developed at Minnesota. Not sure I would buy that one, but it will be interesting to see what Fischer can do in Hamilton under Boucher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Interesting enough, though I disagree on the following: Weber (I'd rank much higher); Pyatt (much lower); Fischer (above Desharnais). I'd also probably bump Carle up.
I like the improvement Weber has made in his own end, but offensively he's really dropped off from last year. Last season you could always notice him on the PP as his shot was creating so many things out there, but this year it's not working at all, I don't know if it's confidence or the new system or both, he's getting chances for sure but they are not going in at all.

Pyatt I could easily see being lower since I don't see a lot of upside in him but he looks like a safe bet to stick in the NHL so I thought I'd fit him into the top 10 as he'll really exceded my expectations.

Fischer is really a tough one for me, what makes it worse is that I've seen him play more then any other prospect. He's got such impressive tools but I have my doubts about him having the smarts, and I don't understand how someone that can clearly move the puck well, can't do anything in the offensvie zone, it's really bad, he has no shot at all, no power and never uses it.

Carle I could have higher, he's having another good year, perhaps I should have flipped him with Pyatt. Either way it will be interesting to see how it works out with us having 3 RD offensvie D prospects in Subban/Weber/Carle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
I'd bump up Desharnais and Desjardins a couple spots up. Desharnais seems like a good player but I think the reason he's down there is his size. Also I haven't seen Desjardins play but he's about the same as Sanford or even better and Sanford has played in the NHL and was pretty solid.
Desharnais is having a great year so far, yes the reason he's down lower is because his size, but also I'd like to see him get quicker, it's a big concern for me, I would love it if he had the kind of speed Gionta has, without it though I really wonder how effective he can be at the NHL level. But for his 2nd year in the AHL, he's showing a lot of progress which is good to see.

Desjardins has been very impressive, he's taken the starting job from Sanford but let's see if he can keep it all year, as consistency has been an issue with him so I didn't want to put him higher until I see him do this for a full season.

Old
12-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
always enjoy reading your comments and lists...
+1

I'm also really high on Bennett (based on what I've read since I haven't had the chance to see him play yet...I'm hoping he'll play for USA at the WJC next year?).

And, maybe the HABS management saw a lot of potential in Bennett and thus felt more comfortable in letting go of McDonagh (since they saw the same or similar potential in Bennett...I'm guessing here!).

Cheers!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-27-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilman101 View Post
Uhh, Wyman had an NHL job this year. Three times.
Ya and that may very well the last 3 gsmes we ever see him in a Habs uniform, it looked obvious to me he doesn't have the time reaction to match up NHL players and he has no specialty on the ice. Dumont looks like a sure bet on a bottom 2 line, the kind of role Bégin had, i'm really happy he was available in the 5th round.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:19 PM
NewHabsEra*

too good..

good job once again MTL, I agree with about everything.. Bennett is where he should be IMO..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:36 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
+1

I'm also really high on Bennett (based on what I've read since I haven't had the chance to see him play yet...I'm hoping he'll play for USA at the WJC next year?).

And, maybe the HABS management saw a lot of potential in Bennett and thus felt more comfortable in letting go of McDonagh (since they saw the same or similar potential in Bennett...I'm guessing here!).

Cheers!
Bennett should be in the mix for Team USA next year for sure. Had he of played with the USNDTP last year, he likely would have been in the mix this year. For USA, their defense is often the hardest to crack, but I don't see why he wouldn't be on the team if not at the very least invited.

I don't think they would have traded McDonagh due to Bennett, who was coming off a serious injury last year, plus they play different styles, although they are both LD's, it ends there. Bennett seems like a kid that has top pairing upside due to his smarts and poise, whereas McDonagh I see as a 2nd pairing D that excells on the PK and plays a sound physical game.

Quote:
Ya and that may very well the last 3 gsmes we ever see him in a Habs uniform, it looked obvious to me he doesn't have the time reaction to match up NHL players and he has no specialty on the ice. Dumont looks like a sure bet on a bottom 2 line, the kind of role Bégin had, i'm really happy he was available in the 5th round.
With Wyman he didn't look good in his NHL callup but he's made huge strides in his game since last year, if he can continue to improve, then yes he could be a decent fill player perhaps, as he's got the size, he's got the speed and skating, he always works hard, is smart defensively and has a little offensive ability.

Dumont does look like he could fill the role ala Bégin but if he only had his speed, without that it's hard to say for sure he can play at the NHL level. I could see why others would have him higher but I'll wait till I see him in Hamilton next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
too good..

good job once again MTL, I agree with about everything.. Bennett is where he should be IMO..
Thanks to everyone.

I can't wait to see more of Bennett next year at Michigan, hopefully I'm not overrating him, cause I was really impressed with what I saw from him.

Old
12-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I can't wait to see more of Bennett next year at Michigan, hopefully I'm not overrating him, cause I was really impressed with what I saw from him.
The bet they also took is that he was going to be much bigger because of his family root. We have to wish he will 'cause he is really really light and thin. But on the hockey side, he was already impressive at the last dev. camp even if it was just a camp. Though most 09 were pretty good. Definately the best year as far as 1st impressions at a camp as far as I'm concerned.

One other thing I'm somewhat concerned....we did drafted centermen in 09 and while you never have too many good players whatever the position is, is Naatinen now a winger or is just for this Worlds? And now that Walsh is a winger in Dartmouth, we might see our centermen pool not as big as we once thought it could be because of that draft. And Cichy who's playing the wings when he's playing.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for posting the list montreal. Can you give a little info on Dustin Walsh. He's one of our prospects that I've actually never heard of before.