HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#60, #11, #27 or #79

View Poll Results: When I dream I always dream of blue
Théo 10 4.26%
Markov 117 49.79%
Saku 99 42.13%
Kovalev 9 3.83%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
De Montreal
help

vCash: 500
#60, #11, #27 or #79

RDS raised a question during their game's coverage yesterday and I thought it was interesting. All through this past decade (from 2000 to 2009) which player have been the best Hab?

The choices were Théo, Markov, Koivu and Kovalev. There's no other options really me thinks... so out of this four, which have been the best/most important player for the team in the past ten years?

José Théodore has won the Hart and the Vezina trophy. If I remember correctly he have played in all-star game for a couple of time, at least once. He single-handely led us into playoff in 2004 and with the help of Saku he beat the Bruins with his miraculous performance. He would have been the most logical choice but unfortunately he left on a bitter note...

Andreï Markov joined the team around 2001 I think. He established himself as a top pairing defenceman in the season of 2004 and since then he became one of our if not the most important pieces of our quest for the Stanley Cup. He have played in the ASG once, and was in the top-10 for the Norris ballot last season. He have been by far our most important player in the past two seasons and our record with and without him speak for itself.

Saku Koivu tied the record for the longer tenure as the Captain of the Montreal Canadiens during this decade. He went to the ASG once. He have been an inspiration to his teammates during his battle against the cancer, which he won just to come and help us beat the Bruins in 2004 playoff. He have been clutch in every playoff and his best season have been 75 points.

Alex Kovalev undoubtedly have been the most exciting player to wear the Habs jersey in the past ten years. His skills made him a fan favorite soon enough and he had an incredible season two years ago, putting up 84 points. Was named player of the game at the last ASG. He, also, rised his game up come playoff time but he'd tend to float once in a while which made him a very frustrating player to watch...

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
habspinner

I voted Markov, although Theodore had the best SINGLE year out of any of them.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I have no idea but we might think of wich player helped us get further in the playoffs so far.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
JaymzB

Koivu was the most consistent over the entire decade, and the best playoff player. Theodore had the best single season (by far). Markov has been the best since the lockout. Kovalev was really good at times, and was the second best playoff player.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
sandman08

i voted for saku because when i think of the habs in the past decade, i cant think of the cup being raised BUT i do remember that shiny bald headed finn with his stick raised up to the crowd in appreciation in a manner that just shows nothing but mutual respect.
i still love andrei tho, but his importance has more been of the "what have you done for me lately?" variety as opposed to saku's who was important the whole decade basically.

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

Throughout the decade? koivu. Individual/multiple seasons? pick from the rest.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:23 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

i voted Kovalev just because he was our best forward since the day he was traded here and was always the face of the franchise untill this summer even though he had his ups and down the focus was always on him and thats why i dont think Markov was getting much attention and now hes really been more of the focus on the team and he deserves it so for last decade ill go with Kovalev

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:27 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Kind of surprised Markov is leading this as he only really came into his own in the last few years of the decade.

I went with Koivu. He was there for the almost the entire decade and was pretty consistent throughout. Even if Theodore won the trophies and Kovalev had the best offensive season.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Riggins

For the entire decade, I have to go with Saku.

All three of the others had better individual seasons, but either weren't around long enough or didn't have an impact for the majority of the decade.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
InglewoodJack

Koivu and its not really close to me.
Théo was a bit before my time, but I remember him winning the awards, and his rise and fall. But he quickly vanished. Kovalev was a good player, but he wasn't special, just a very good player. Markov's rise has been pretty much in the second half of the decade. But Koivu is the only one who had good years from start to finnish.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Definitely Koivu. He WAS the Canadiens. I find a lot of Montreal fans are so short sighted and don't focus on anything beyond the previous season, and it's very annoying. If this same poll came up next season, Saku wouldn't get any votes. Then again it's the francophone population who does most of the votes, and they hated Saku.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
mvp76

Pick goes to Saku, Markov was tough not to pick

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Koivu - Resume speaks for itself
Markov - He's #2 on my list because there's much more he can accomplish
Theodore - Hart & Vezina...can't overlook that
Kovalev - Never thought he was as good as many have made him to be, but still a very good habs player during his tenure here

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:28 PM
TankEller*

Wow... this is an insult for Markov.

Even at their peak, Markov still is more than twice the player any of these players can only dream to be.

Markov might have became a franchise player only after the lockout, but none of Kovalev, Theodore or Koivu was, is, or is going to be such a great asset to their respective team.

Kovalev's an inconsistent top-6 forward, Koivu's a struggling, declining top-6 forward, and Theodore has been a genuine #1 goaltender only twice in this decade.

Markov's been a top-5 d-man in the NHL for the last 3 years...

Even back in 2005 and 2006, we struggled big time without Marky in the lineup.

EDIT: Just read the other posts on this thread. I can't get over how Koivu's an overrated player on this board. He's #3 on my list, and that's coming from a guy who hates Kovalev.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually I can't figure out how posters (Yes I'm looking at you Cam A Larry) can underrate what Koivu brought to the organization over the last decade.

Koivu's my choice, and it's not even close.

01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Actually I can't figure out how posters (Yes I'm looking at you Cam A Larry) can underrate what Koivu brought to the organization over the last decade.

Koivu's my choice, and it's not even close.
Look. I loved Koivu. He's a great top-6 player, and we'll never say enough how GREAT he was for the society and Montreal's population. He was a good captain, and what the medias did to him is disgusting.

However, we're talking about the best player here. Koivu has fetched 60 points 3 times in this decade. Granted, he's been injured more often than not and had to fight a terrible disease. But to say he's been a better player than Markov in this century is way too much for me.

I don't think people here realize how great Markov is. He's a top-5 defenseman in the NHL, has been in the last 3 seasons, and the effect he has on our team is mind-blowing. He's a player who has no visible weakness on his game.

I agree; Koivu has been a great Habs player and fans/medias should've respected him a lot. But to say he gave much more than Markov to the hockey club on the ice is ludicrous.

We're talking about the best player here. Just take a look at our record without Markov in the lineup since the lockout. Even back in 2002-2003 Markov still was our #1 d-man for god sake.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
I don't think people here realize how great Markov is. He's a top-5 defenseman in the NHL, has been in the last 3 seasons, and the effect he has on our team is mind-blowing. He's a player who has no visible weakness on his game.
The last three seasons is stretching it (I'd say Markov has only been elite for this year and the past 2) but even then, that's 3 years out of a decade...not enough for me to vote for him over probably any of the others.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Hands down, Koivu. It's not even close.

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Wow... this is an insult for Markov.

Even at their peak, Markov still is more than twice the player any of these players can only dream to be.

Markov might have became a franchise player only after the lockout, but none of Kovalev, Theodore or Koivu was, is, or is going to be such a great asset to their respective team.

Kovalev's an inconsistent top-6 forward, Koivu's a struggling, declining top-6 forward, and Theodore has been a genuine #1 goaltender only twice in this decade.

Markov's been a top-5 d-man in the NHL for the last 3 years...

Even back in 2005 and 2006, we struggled big time without Marky in the lineup.

EDIT: Just read the other posts on this thread. I can't get over how Koivu's an overrated player on this board. He's #3 on my list, and that's coming from a guy who hates Kovalev.
I agree with that statement...but I respect what he brought to this organization as a player on and off the ice the last decade. That can't be denied. Sure Markov has meant more post lockout but Koivu was the captain and face of this franchise for a long time. He's #1 on my list out of respect

But ask me again next year and Markov will have most likely gone ahead IMO

Old
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The last three seasons is stretching it (I'd say Markov has only been elite for this year and the past 2) but even then, that's 3 years out of a decade...not enough for me to vote for him over probably any of the others.
He still has been our best player since the lockout and our best d-man since 2002-2003. He's been the closest player we've had to a superstar since the Lafleur era. And you still rank Jose "Jim Carey" Theodore, Alex "walk in the old Montreal" Kovalev and Koivu before him? All three of them? Really?

And people wonder why I think Koivu's overrated here... sigh.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I agree with that statement...but I respect what he brought to this organization as a player on and off the ice the last decade. That can't be denied. Sure Markov has meant more post lockout but Koivu was the captain and face of this franchise for a long time. He's #1 on my list out of respect

But ask me again next year and Markov will have most likely gone ahead IMO
Ask who the best character was on and off the ice instead of the best player, and I will answer Koivu. Not even close.

However, strictly based on the on-ice play and what they meant to the team and how important they were for our success, I can't imagine how Markov's not the logical choice here. Damn, this team isn't the same since he came back. Markov back on the blueline allows every single forward on this team to be more aggressive, because they know the guy controls the pace of the game.

When Ovechkin says Markov's the guy he hates to play against the most in the whole world, it shouldn't even be a question.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Ask who the best character was on and off the ice instead of the best player, and I will answer Koivu. Not even close.

However, strictly based on the on-ice play and what they meant to the team and how important they were for our success, I can't imagine how Markov's not the logical choice here. Damn, this team isn't the same since he came back. Markov back on the blueline allows every single forward on this team to be more aggressive, because they know the guy controls the pace of the game.

When Ovechkin says Markov's the guy he hates to play against the most in the whole world, it shouldn't even be a question.
I don't disagree with you...I orignally had put Markov first but changed it out of respect for Koivu and the body of ALL his work. But ON THE ICE, clearly, Markov is #1 IMO

Old
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
He still has been our best player since the lockout and our best d-man since 2002-2003. He's been the closest player we've had to a superstar since the Lafleur era. And you still rank Jose "Jim Carey" Theodore, Alex "walk in the old Montreal" Kovalev and Koivu before him? All three of them? Really?

And people wonder why I think Koivu's overrated here... sigh.
I think we're interpreting the question differently. I'm considering the impact each of the four had on the Canadiens throughout the decade (which I think was the way RDS phrased it? I may be mistaken), not just which one is "best player" per se (which is how the OP phrased it).

Old
01-04-2010, 04:01 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think we're interpreting the question differently. I'm considering the impact each of the four had on the Canadiens throughout the decade (which I think was the way RDS phrased it? I may be mistaken), not just which one is "best player" per se (which is how the OP phrased it).

I personnally voted for the best on-the-ice player of the decade.

The influence each player had on the medias, on the team, the "face" of this decade, then I'd put Koivu.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I personnally voted for the best on-the-ice player of the decade.

The influence each player had on the medias, on the team, the "face" of this decade, then I'd put Koivu.
I'd probably agree with you if I was voting that way. Koivu, for everything he was, was never really an "elite" player this decade. Kovalev had a great season and Theodore had an out of this world one, but Markov has been an elite hockey player longer and more consistently than any of them for us in the decade. So I see where you're coming from.