HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Why does Canada continue to run it up?

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
I thought we'd have some class and stop after 10.

Sadly, this team has shown that they do not have class. From their cheap captain to the players who dove in todays game to their coaching staff for not telling them to stop destroying a team that has no business being in the tourny to begin with.

I thought us Canadians were better than that. I thought we had more honor and class. Apparently not.
Blah blah blah, same thing was said about Canada last year. They stopped celebrating when it was 6-0 today. In the 3rd period they passed incredibly too much, a lot of guys passed up open shots.

We saw how much class shone through when they beat Russia in the semifinal. Canada has class - they always will.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

vCash: 500
Personally i think Canada did let up. Top notch athletes can only slow down so much. The fact is Lativa should not have been on the same ice as team Canada.

Canada started slowly carrying the puck over the zone but the Lativians could simply not stop a cross ice pass

Old
12-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Canuck71

I understand where people get the idea that Canadian teams are classless when they run up the score against weaker teams like this but the rules really have to be changed so that games like this don't get out of hand like this one did. I would never wanna be on the receiving end of a beating like that in the host teams country.

But honestly what are the chances that the Canadians do come to a tiebreaker scenario within their group? Not a very likely possibility IMO, but the Canadian mentality is obviously "better to be safe than sorry".

BTW, did anyone see the TSN statistic that was provided to them by the IIHF? There are 325,000 registered hockey players in Canada under the age of 20 copared to the 1,500 registered hockey players in Latvia under the age of 20. Latvia is picking their players out of a very sparse pool. They made constant stupid mistake after mistake that should not be made at this level. Maybe coaching could be an issue? I was always taught to ice the puck when you are killing a penalty, not wait at you own blueline looking for a pass when the puck has been in your zone for a 1:40 seconds.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklin3011 View Post
Its pretty classless if you ask me.
Nobody did.

Meh, it was a good learning experience for the Latvian kids. It was probably some of the best competition they ever played against.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:25 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto View Post
The U.S team will do the exact same thing. You can guaran-damn-tee it.
They will try....Based on their start against Slovakia I'm not so sure they can

Old
12-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Vice

Figured I would see a troll make a thread about the game sooner or later.

I really can't wait until the matchup against the U.S.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Fabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
I thought us Canadians were better than that. I thought we had more honor and class. Apparently not.
Speak for yourself.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:34 PM
scott4683

Every other team will run up the score when they play a weaker team not just Canada.. Sweden and Canada did it.. Don't blame it on the teams blamie it on the GD rule..

Old
12-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
What I'd like to know is, why does it seem like Game 1 of the tournament for all the powerhouses seems to be like throwing a lamb to the lions?

Why not have Sweden vs Canada, Russia vs US type matchups on boxing day - and put the weaker teams at the end, which ends up making the games worth a little more since these guys can play spoiler/cinderella as well as the goal differential reason actually being visible so all these people saying it doesn't matter - can see that it does from time to time.

The other option is replace goal differential with goals allowed as the tie breaker. Then a 1-0 win is as good as a 11-0 win.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:36 PM
VladNYC*

Don't get why this is classless. Valeri Kharlamov said it best, "The biggest compliment to an opponent is playing your hardest against him. Letting up at any point is an insult to him."

Old
12-26-2009, 07:37 PM
TMLeafer

I agree. Instead of going full speed, team Canada should've become lazy, sloppy, and develop bad habits.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Malice430

the 11 year old OP doesnt speak for america. i have no problem with teams running up the score on someone, like when the Slovakian Womens team beat Bulgaria 82-0 in the olympic qualifier. Even if Canada beat the US team by 15 goals i wouldnt hold it agaisnt them

Old
12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
What I'd like to know is, why does it seem like Game 1 of the tournament for all the powerhouses seems to be like throwing a lamb to the lions?

Why not have Sweden vs Canada, Russia vs US type matchups on boxing day - and put the weaker teams at the end, which ends up making the games worth a little more since these guys can play spoiler/cinderella as well as the goal differential reason actually being visible so all these people saying it doesn't matter - can see that it does from time to time.

The other option is replace goal differential with goals allowed as the tie breaker. Then a 1-0 win is as good as a 11-0 win.
Playing weaker teams at the end may not be a good thing.Playing the stronger teams right at the end gets teams ready for the medal round and for the most part there playing at there or close to there level.You toss in a weaker team at the end and then the medal round it may do more harm then good for some teams.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:40 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
I agree. Instead of going full speed, team Canada should've become lazy, sloppy, and develop bad habits.
Ya maybe we could pull our goalie too, you know let them have some goals to build confidence.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Kamina
Amok

Because this can happen

Also goal differential being a tiebreaker.

Eh-oh-Canada-go.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:46 PM
ahabian

You let up against 6 year olds that can't call your bluff, if you're even in the lead to begin with, but letting up on this level would be far more classless than pushing on.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
I'm sure the beating most of these kids got whenever they lost a game at the age of six has callused them enough not to care about having the score run up against them in a televised international tournament against the best team.

And, as has already been said, it's more insulting (and less entertaining) to play lax, and you do much more harmful things to someone in the course of a hockey game than running up the score.

If they want to give teams less incentive to do so, though, they should just make it so that the differential tie-breaker only applies to games against clubs who made it to the next round or something.

Old
12-26-2009, 07:51 PM
digger18

The other problem with letting up is the higher risk of injury occurring.

I would like to see the organizers of this tourney just drop a couple of teams from the schedule moving forward.

The teams who constantly hover around the relgation rounds have not shown that they are ready to compete at the world level yet.

It really is not fair for the young kids playing for those teams to be put through humiliation, like Latvia was today.

Old
12-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

In light of it being the rules....

http://www.tshirtbordello.com/images...-Player-lg.gif

Old
12-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Doctor No
Retired

It appears that the original poster got exactly what he was hoping for.

Closed.

Closed Thread