HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Any Interest Whatsoever In...

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 04:42 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Any Interest Whatsoever In...

Alexei Yashin?

Typically don't like discussing players during the playoffs as it suggests panic , but curious as to fans' perspective of the level of interest their team hypothetically could have in #79.

Few things:

- Motivation here is to free up salary space for NYI, pure and simple. Not going to sugarcoat it. Wang/Milbury made a horrendous error in judgment. Not so much in acquiring Yashin. The deal itself is open to criticism, but it has been overblown by some who, rightly, love the deal for the Sens. Chara and Spezza were a great return, no question, but Yashin has been a productive player for NYI. The boffo mistake was giving him - or any player - a 10 year deal.

- Any deal would require minimum (bare minimum) return in assets to NYI. Consider the Bure, Jagr salary dumps and take it even further.

- One assumes in this pure hypothetical that NYI would be obligated to pick up some $$$. For the sake of this post, let's say $3M per year over the remaining 6 guaranteed years of his deal ($18M total).

- Also for the sake of this hypothetical, assume no major structural changes to the next CBA. That is, no salary cap, at least with any teeth to it.

- Yashin's deal calls for six more seasons, with a seventh at the club's option.

Not looking for feedback on what a bum Yashin is, or how stupid Milbury is, or who isn't interested in his contract. Just testing the waters to see if any team would conceivably have any interest, that's all. (Not optimistic. )

Thanks in advance.

Old
04-14-2004, 05:14 PM
DownFromNJ

Depending on retiring players, I could see the Leafs, Wings, or Stars picking him up. Especially the Leafs.

Old
04-14-2004, 05:43 PM
bleedgreen

im a canes fan, so obviuosly i dont see them picking him up. for sake of arguement though i dont see a toronto or detroit picking him up either, especially for a bure dump off equivalent. i could see a top team wanting him, especially in a role that didnt feature him as the top player - i think he could thrive in a role like that. the problem is you CANT take the contract out of the equation before OR after the lockout. I know you want people to not really refer to the contract and talk of value, but its impossible in this case. even top teams are going to balk at taking that contract. bure and jagr were players with more of a history of individually impacting games. yashin's ability to do that (with any level of consistency) has always been in question. if you got a jagr/ bure dump kind of return - i would be shocked. I dont blame you for wanting to see whats out there - i just think its hopeless. like it or not, yashin is the horse the isles have put their wagons behind. milbury took that chance, and knew it would make or break him. he admitted it at the time. im not bashing him for it, it worked great that first year. i think peca is more likely to go for no other reason than his salary would be easier to move. i also agree they need to do something - problem is everyone else knows it too which affects any big move they do.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Could there be interest on those terms? Perhaps. There really are a lot of parallels to earlier this season, when the Caps traded Jagr.

The specifics: Yashin inked a nine-year contract with a tenth club option year, which started with the 2001-02 season. He has played three seasons. He earns an average of $8.75 million per season and is signed through 2009-10, guaranteed, with 2010-11 the option year.

The Kings, for example, need a replacement for Allison, and if they were only paying part of the salary, then I think they might be interested. A number of teams would be interested if the Islanders picked up enough salary. I think that it has to be $4M and not just $3M, though. Yet that might be more than ownership will stomach.

Perhaps Zednik for Yashin and $4M/yr. With enough money... yes, there would be interest from numerous teams... LA, Montreal, maybe Boston, Toronto, possibly Chicago. Considerably less if he were shopped along with only $3M/yr, though.

Jagr was traded along with $18.5 million (over the four seasons remaining on his seven-year contract at the time of the deal) for Anson Carter. I think a similar return -- meaning a scorer who is on the wrong side of 25 and carrying a somewhat high contract, could be dealt for Yashin and $4M per year coming from the NYI, as was Jagr. The Islanders could then dump the player coming back at the earliest opportunity if they decide to do so (as Washington did with Carter) and have greater flexibility in future.

Now, is that worthwhile for the Islanders? Does that free up enough room? Maybe it does, maybe not. I would be surprised to see Yashin yield more than Jagr garnered, though. Jagr had four years remaining on his deal; Yashin six.

Ultimately, I don't know that the Islanders can get out of this one. I think they have to build their team around him. I mean, they have a very sound team right now as it is, a tough playoff-caliber team, it's just tight in terms of payroll. So it's not like they are a bad team. If they can sustain current payroll, they are better off keeping him and dealing one of their elite defensemen to gain the payroll flexibility they crave. I believe that he can be dealt... but there are few palatable scenarios under which a team will consent to take Yashin, I suspect. Few that make it worth the Islanders' while to pull the trigger.

Last edited by Drake1588: 04-14-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old
04-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Frolov

Yes, the Kings will give you Anson Carter.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
...i could see a top team wanting him, especially in a role that didnt feature him as the top player - i think he could thrive in a role like that.

Agree 100%. Actually, though, I think the Wings fit that description.

The problem is you CANT take the contract out of the equation before OR after the lockout. I know you want people to not really refer to the contract and talk of value, but its impossible in this case. even top teams are going to balk at taking that contract.

No disagreement there whatsoever. Was just mentioning the CBA in my initial post because if one doesn't assume some scenario (in this case, status quo or close to it), then you can't even begin to imagine anyone taking on his contract, as it would be the ultimate cap killer.

bure and jagr were players with more of a history of individually impacting games. yashin's ability to do that (with any level of consistency) has always been in question. if you got a jagr/ bure dump kind of return - i would be shocked.

Me too!

i think peca is more likely to go for no other reason than his salary would be easier to move.

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. But Peca deserves to be with a better run organization. He'd be a stellar player on a good team, as opposed to being expected to suddenly becoming a scorer on a roster of journeyman forwards.

Thanks for the intelligent reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov
Though you are joking, I'd do that deal in a nanosecond. As stated, the return is basically meaningless. Isles need to lose that contract.

Last edited by Trottier: 04-15-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old
04-15-2004, 12:35 AM
zoidberg

Trottier;
I know that this thread is about Alexei Yashin, but if the Isles are looking to dump budget, and are considering trading Peca, what do you think the return should be? Say, on the Flames; what would the Islanders be looking for?

As for the Yashin debate, the regulars are always there - Detroit, Colorado (where I think he could do wonders), Toronto (where the Sens/Leafs rivalry would be amplified immensely), the Allison/Deadmarsh (?) less Kings, where he could form a brilliant tandem with Palffy or possibly great second line scoring, or even Philadelphia or New Jersey, the latter of which could use a great boost for scoring. Then again, New Jersey's well chronicled attendence problem may be a problem for securing the funds neccesary to compete for a player of Yashin's services. Or a Jagr (Part 2) trade could be made, with one underachieving player going to the Islanders for Yashin, the former being one who had a moderate contract which paid well, but was far from living up to expectations. Think Steve Heinze from a while ago but with a much larger salary. Now that I think about it, what about a Pierre Turgeon for Yashin swap, with the Isles paying some salary for the first couple years? Underachiever with a big contract for BIG contract; Dallas would love to get rid of Turgeon. It makes sense now to me but I haven't had sleep in some time so it might not when I get back to normal.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Trottier;
I know that this thread is about Alexei Yashin, but if the Isles are looking to dump budget, and are considering trading Peca, what do you think the return should be? Say, on the Flames; what would the Islanders be looking for?
First on Yashin - and this of course is only one person's opinion - I think LA could be the best (and only) fit for him. Why? LA likely is opening up a ton of payroll space this offseason, especially if they do not re-sign Palffy. Assuming Allison will leave, they need help up the middle. Plus, while they have some solid young talent on the rise, they need the stability of proven NHL talent to surround those kids in order to compete now, as well as down the road. Consider that they may never again have the services of Palffy, Allison, Deadmarsh and Robitaille. That's a lot of experience (and talent!). Heck, I'd take Scott Barney and a mid-round pick and call it a deal. Even more far-fetched: If Lindros splits NYC, perhaps they'd want to add a scorer down the middle. Plus, Sather is rumored to have had it with Holik. How about Holik's remaining three year salary (@ approx. $9M per) for the remaining six years on Yashin's deal + ???

On to Peca: I hope they don't move him, but they may, especially if he gives any indication of wanting out. He would be ideal for the Flames, especially if one assumes that Conroy is going to leave via FA. If I were NYI's GM - and only if I had to move him - my asking price would be Reinprecht and Gauthier.

With Commodore looking like he might finally be NHL-ready (looked good last night), Gauthier may be more expendable now. I see Gauthier upgrading the talent level on NYI's third-pair on defense, and possibly being able to hold down a #4 spot under the right circumstances. Reinprecht, despite being banged up this year, could be a Shawn MacEachern clone for Yashin's wing (speedy, solid defensively, can score when surrounded by talented players).

Last edited by Trottier: 04-15-2004 at 03:23 AM.
Old
04-15-2004, 02:11 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov
That's actually a good deal..give's the Isles a 20 goal scorer and saves them about 5 million...LA wouldn't do it IMO.

Old
04-15-2004, 02:33 AM
RoyIsALegend*

If Peter Forsberg bolts for Sweden, I could see the Avs possibly being interested.

I have no idea what would need to be offered, but it would allow Joe Sakic to resume first line duty, provide Colorado with a very good second line center, and provide Alexei Yashin with dynamic wingers. If he's taking Forsberg's spot down the middle, his linemates would be Alex Tanguay and Milan Hejduk. I think anybody can produce under those circumstances.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:38 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
If Peter Forsberg bolts for Sweden, I could see the Avs possibly being interested.

I have no idea what would need to be offered...
OK, I'll bite.

Avs would likely want to clear out some additional salary in return for taking the huge contract off NYI's hands. Only large contract I could see them wanting to rid however is Teemu Selanne. Is he of significant value to them beyond this year, or would they be happy to drop his $5M+ contract?

I'd take Selanne (if Avs insist) and prospect Johnny Boychuk (Avs suddenly have significant depth on D on the NHL roster).

But I'd settle for Boychuk, straightup.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:43 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
OK, I'll bite.

Avs would likely want to clear out some additional salary in return for taking the huge contract off NYI's hands. Only large contract I could see them wanting to rid however is Teemu Selanne. Is he of significant value to them beyond this year, or would they be happy to drop his $5M+ contract?

I'd take Selanne (if Avs insist) and prospect Johnny Boychuk (Avs suddenly have significant depth on D on the NHL roster).

With Atlanta's new owners I think they would be looking to add a high priced star, especially if they are going to give a run at the playoffs next year. They could possibly offer Foster or Rossiter.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:31 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
OK, I'll bite.

Well, Teemu Selanne is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and there is absolutely no chance that Colorado wants him back, nor that he would want to be back. Paul Kariya, on the other hand, will likely remain an Av.

I don't really see any contracts on our team that we'd have to "dump."

Rob Blake, Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg all make $9+ M, but none of these three would be salary dumps. Adam Foote makes $4.4 M and would not be a salary dump. Then it's Milan Hejduk at $3.2 M.

Colorado has Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, Steve Konowalchuk, Matthew Barnaby and Andrei Nikolishin *all* as UFAs at the end of this season. That is $24 M in salary to work with, so I don't think they'd have to send back a salary dump to the Islanders.

Old
04-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Montreal wont trade Zednik for Yashin because montreal fans all hate Yashin

Old
04-18-2004, 06:49 PM
senate

Even if you get past the salary issue of Yashin's contract, who is gonna want to get stuck with a player for another 6-7 years? The shear length of Yashin's contract (10 years I believe) makes it one of the worst in NHL history. Yashin's attitude, his agent (Gandler), his declining production, and lack of playoff success only help to sour the pot. I can't see any team wanting Yashin, even if one did want him I bet they could get him for a song (a mid-level prospect and at most a 2nd rounder) because NYI must be desperate to off-load that contract. Like Larry Brooks (who I can't believe I agree with) I think that the Isles best bet is to try to get wingers for him so he will at least come close to earning his money.

P.S. I should mention that I'm a Sens fan and still embittered with "Cashin", so take my bias into account.

Old
04-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Missionhockey

NJ wouldn't take Yashin or a player like Yashin. Elias-Gomez-Gionta is a more than serviceable top line and I expect Langenbrunner to have a bounce back season. Besides, Yashin is pretty bad defensively. He's not worth it.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownFromNJ
Depending on retiring players, I could see the Leafs, Wings, or Stars picking him up. Especially the Leafs.

I don't see the Wings being too interested in Yashin. Right now the top 2 centers in Detroit are Lang and Datsyuk. Pretty good. Plus they have Draper as the checking center (assuming he stays). And if Yzerman stays, that's another part-time center they have.

Maybe the Kings may be interested if Allison doesn't come back?

Old
04-19-2004, 12:30 PM
bleedgreen

responding to an earlier idea about the avs, as long as lacroix is gm - a guy with a checkered past like yashin wont be coming. pl is pretty anal about the personailty of his team, he almost always brings in or keeps "classy" "team" players - especially ones in key positions (sakic, blake, kariya,hejduk, foote, fors...etc). any player that holds out for money and brings the spotlight on management is gone....quick. the exception to that was sakic and the rangers signing, but joe is the guy pl loves the most. classy, honest, unassuming - its the personality of the team. im not saying yashin has no class, but it would definitely be adding a huge potential headache, something pl doesnt really ever do. i was shocked he traded for barnaby(the team did need it). i think as long as mb doesnt turn into a clown, pl will keep him.

as far as the holik idea - i think ranger fans would be pretty po'd about tearing up the team to start over, going young and cheaper, and then adding yashin with his contract at the cost of holik (their gritty leader). i think sather is on a high wire act to pull off a quality rebuild, and he wouldnt want yashin at one end of his pole.

i like the idea of the kings, though they really couldnt do anything big until they know for sure about the big three, i would think. time isnt a big factor for this though, i think it could be a good fit. detroit also would be a good place, but again it would depend on who goes, stays, retires over the next off season. having yashin as a second (or 1b) center could be a good thing for the wings - and a solid replacement for lang (i forgot his fa status?) if that doesnt work out. who would yuo rather have, lang or yashin? lang probably fit in a lot easier, but yash is a bit younger and i think has the higher offense potential - especially with some of those guys surrounding him. of course, the new cba will probably make this really tough on the red wings to pull off - if they wanted to.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:44 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
There's a rumor on mania,supposedly a Montreal sports station's reporting Yashin and his rep approached the Isles,about redoing Yashin's contract so he can be moved.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to this.

Montreal press also reported a few months ago, that a Peca for Koivu deal was going down.

Closed Thread