HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#38: Flyers @ Islanders - December 27, 2009 - 5:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I'm telling you, next seasons, we sign every back up goalie for a week or two. They'll play their hearts out... put up stats well above what is normal and then we just dump them before they fall back to earth. 60 wins minimum.
That sounds like a genius move!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:17 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Accoriding to my [crappy] math, Leighton has a 2.15 GAA with .933 S%.

edit: actually I'm right. His numbers are separated between Carolina and Philly on NHL.com.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468038

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:30 AM
DUHockey9

So the office is empty today which means I'll be spending 95% (as opposed to my usual 75%) of my time on HF. So I'm going to reply to, well, everything.

I'm very happy we got a win, continuing the bag streak. I'm also very happy the offense is looking better (especially Carter). However I, like some others, are a bit worried about how we are barely beating some really bad teams. Oh well, at least we are taking steps.

Some more random thoughts...

Leighton has been pretty good but man is he scary to watch. He cannot control a rebound to save his life and seems to constantly be scrambling. I asked my various goalie friends to confirm my thoughts and they shared my concerns.

I love Darroll Powe. You may have already thought this was the case with my Pow! Graham Central Station campaign (which...if you weren't already aware, worked!) but I actually wasn't that big of a Powe guy. I liked him, thought he played a good role but nothing more. Now I love the guy. I love his speed, I love that he just shoots the puck low and it ends up resulting in random chances. What's not to like about this guy?

I'm starting to get annoyed at JVR again, but for other reasons. Anyone else notice when there is a loose puck and he's racing for it he doesn't skate, he just leans on a guy and stops his legs and tries to hold them back? It's really annoying. He'd win so many more races if he just moved his legs. Instead he doesn't, and usually falls down. Oh well, that line has been good.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:50 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
So the office is empty today which means I'll be spending 95% (as opposed to my usual 75%) of my time on HF. So I'm going to reply to, well, everything.

I'm very happy we got a win, continuing the bag streak. I'm also very happy the offense is looking better (especially Carter). However I, like some others, are a bit worried about how we are barely beating some really bad teams. Oh well, at least we are taking steps.

Some more random thoughts...

Leighton has been pretty good but man is he scary to watch. He cannot control a rebound to save his life and seems to constantly be scrambling. I asked my various goalie friends to confirm my thoughts and they shared my concerns.

I love Darroll Powe. You may have already thought this was the case with my Pow! Graham Central Station campaign (which...if you weren't already aware, worked!) but I actually wasn't that big of a Powe guy. I liked him, thought he played a good role but nothing more. Now I love the guy. I love his speed, I love that he just shoots the puck low and it ends up resulting in random chances. What's not to like about this guy?

I'm starting to get annoyed at JVR again, but for other reasons. Anyone else notice when there is a loose puck and he's racing for it he doesn't skate, he just leans on a guy and stops his legs and tries to hold them back? It's really annoying. He'd win so many more races if he just moved his legs. Instead he doesn't, and usually falls down. Oh well, that line has been good.
That was Xmas Eve for me. Today is relatively empty, I may very well join you.

Onto your post:

The win I think (hope) is a sign that Laviolette's system is coming together and working well on the Flyers. Leighton's rebound control, though sub-par, has it's moments. Carle's saved his ass multiple times, but every once in a while Leighton's rebounding shines. Still, I agree, it's his biggest flaw and he needs to work on it.

As for JVR, he's young and still learning. Back in college he could flat out beat people, but now he's being challenged more. He'll get better in time as he keeps learning.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Yeah, I'll be here all day as well. I think there's like maybe 20 out of 2000 people in today haha.

As for the game, didn't get to see much at all due to the Eagles game and my brothers' resistance to keep flipping the channel for me, but I'm glad they got the win. Sure these 3 games have been wins over teams we should be beating, but at least we are. Baby steps right now, and hopefully it's getting their confidence up. I'm actually getting excited for the winter classic again.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
CharlieGirl

I completely forgot that most people took today as their stat holiday - I heard it on the radio as I was pulling into my parking spot. Not much point in going home then.

I don't see me hanging around the office very long.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:01 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I'm alone in my office pretty much all the time every day. I would hate to work with other people.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:10 AM
JSTAFF

Same here, very few people on the road today. Took me 25 mins to get to work when it normally takes close to a hour.

Most people take their final days of vacation this week, having Friday a paid holiday, and most places half day thursday.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:19 AM
DUHockey9

Yea I'm considering just going home after lunch. I'll just log in, turn up the volume really loud in case I get IM'd or emailed and take a nap/play call of duty.

Old
12-28-2009, 08:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Flyers really did win yesterday. Pittsburgh lost at home to Toronto.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:44 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I'm alone in my office pretty much all the time every day. I would hate to work with other people.
Terradittoes.

People suck.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Kambo

I wish I had an office at work, even though I'm pretty sure it would be the worst idea these people ever had.

Old
12-28-2009, 08:54 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Yea I'm considering just going home after lunch. I'll just log in, turn up the volume really loud in case I get IM'd or emailed and take a nap/play call of duty.
I wish I had VPN. I'd probably get more work done there with TV/movies on than I will here with HF to distract me.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:06 AM
CharlieGirl

I gave up. Sent a bunch of emails, tried to make a few phone calls. No one is working today here, and even the coffee shop downstairs in our building was closed.

No coffee, no work I can do = no CG.

Old
12-28-2009, 09:31 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
No coffee
Oh dear!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:33 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Oh dear!
Not a biggie. There's a Timmy's on my way home that needed my business today!

Old
12-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Oh dear!
Seconded. The dude that takes care of the coffee **** in here is out this week, so it was me vs. the ages old coffee in the cabinet without a measuring scoop = undrinkable. Now I'm left with a coffee headache that won't go away, until I can get some on my lunch break.

Old
12-28-2009, 10:20 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
I always work alone or semi-alone since I left my former employer. I miss the camaraderie that comes with working with people "in the trenches" if you would. Never thought I'd say that I missed working in retail.

Out of curiosity, how do you guys like being cubicle minions? I still don't know if that's the route I want to take in life or not.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:22 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
I always work alone or semi-alone since I left my former employer. I miss the camaraderie that comes with working with people "in the trenches" if you would. Never thought I'd say that I missed working in retail.

Out of curiosity, how do you guys like being cubicle minions? I still don't know if that's the route I want to take in life or not.
I've worked in cubicles, and it's great when you have good co-workers beside you. However, it's almost unbearable when you have an annoying, noisy, pain in the ass beside you. It also depends on how it's set up, in terms of privacy and noise levels.

I prefer having my own office, but being nearby others - you get the advantage of being able to close your door, but you're not cut off from the rest of the world unless you want to be.

Old
12-28-2009, 10:26 AM
mercury

Well, the Flyers aren't in dead last in the division anymore. 1.5 cheers for that.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:27 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Well, the Flyers aren't in dead last in the division anymore. 1.5 cheers for that.

Old
12-28-2009, 10:28 AM
L-train*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I've worked in cubicles, and it's great when you have good co-workers beside you. However, it's almost unbearable when you have an annoying, noisy, pain in the ass beside you. It also depends on how it's set up, in terms of privacy and noise levels.

I prefer having my own office, but being nearby others - you get the advantage of being able to close your door, but you're not cut off from the rest of the world unless you want to be.
Nice edit speed.

Don't you ever feel like you get lost in the shuffle, though? At least in retail, my individual contributions have a major impact on my team and our ability to meet and exceed our expectations. I like being a difference maker, not someone who just blends in and bats .250, if you would. I want a career that rewards my great performance with nice raises and plenty of opportunities for promotion, somewhere that allows my individual contributions to a team effort to shine.

Old
12-28-2009, 10:28 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:

I'm cool with my cube. I sit right next to my boss but he's cool. I'd imagine it would suck if the people sucked. I'd say an office would definitely be cooler though.

Old
12-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Kambo

Quote:

When I had my own cubicle with full walls, I absolutely loved it. I sat in the engineering department too which meant no sound at all. I could come in hung over, turn my chair, and slump over my desk and no one would bother me. Then they moved me in front of the ****ing devil, and this cube only has a half wall seperating us so she sits there all day looking over my shoulder. Privacy gone, and she never gets the **** off the phone so I have to hear her talk all ******* day. I want to punch her in her ****ing impish face.

I have so much hatred for her, it's unreal.

Old
12-28-2009, 10:37 AM
L-train*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
When I had my own cubicle with full walls, I absolutely loved it. I sat in the engineering department too which meant no sound at all. I could come in hung over, turn my chair, and slump over my desk and no one would bother me. Then they moved me in front of the ****ing devil, and this cube only has a half wall seperating us so she sits there all day looking over my shoulder. Privacy gone, and she never gets the **** off the phone so I have to hear her talk all ******* day. I want to punch her in her ****ing impish face.

I have so much hatred for her, it's unreal.
LOL. Don't they let you use ipods or something? I know if I worked in an office and was stuck working on my computer all day that I'd be listening to music the entire time.