HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Williams out with a Broken Leg

Old
12-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

vCash: 500
Williams out with a Broken Leg

Terry Murray said that Justin Williams suffered a broken leg tonight. Murray said he couldn’t estimate when Williams might return and didn’t yet know if anyone would get called up from Manchester.

http://lakingsinsider.com/

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Terry Murray said that Justin Williams suffered a broken leg tonight. Murray said he couldn’t estimate when Williams might return and didn’t yet know if anyone would get called up from Manchester.

http://lakingsinsider.com/
Like I said in the GDT, that is better than a ligament tear.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:17 PM
SLang

Yep Chazz...same thing I told my wife....back in 6-8 weeks versus season-ending or even potentially career-ending.....

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Yep Chazz...same thing I told my wife....back in 6-8 weeks versus season-ending or even potentially career-ending.....
As long as it's not the tibia. It sounds like recovery for that is a lot longer and has more possibilities for recurring problems than a broken fibula. I really hope it's not both. That would be awful.

From what I'm reading, it's hard to break the tibia without breaking the fibula too, but you can break the fibula without breaking the tibia. Hopefully the latter is the case.

Old
12-26-2009, 11:31 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
As long as it's not the tibia. It sounds like recovery for that is a lot longer and has more possibilities for recurring problems than a broken fibula. I really hope it's not both. That would be awful.

From what I'm reading, it's hard to break the tibia without breaking the fibula too, but you can break the fibula without breaking the tibia. Hopefully the latter is the case.

what we're ultimately hoping for here is a non-displaced fracture of the Fibula.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
what we're ultimately hoping for here is a non-displaced fracture of the Fibula.
Hopefully. Maybe we should sacrifice a live chicken as a token to the hockey gods.

Old
12-26-2009, 11:43 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

This is exactly what happened to my leg when I broke it in a roller hockey fight: I fell backwards while my skate stayed planted. Tib/Fib was the result with a rod and screws put in.

2 1/2-3 months on crutches with another 3 months of rehab afterwards.

Hopefully it isn't as bad as that but it sure didn't look good and gave me chills.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Words can't describe how blah this injury is >.< Hopefully, after the doctor visit, we will know for sure what the damage and recovery is. Wish Williams the best. It is hard to see a heart and soul player go down like that. After reading the last poster on KingsInsider, under the Williams injury revelation, this sounds like it is not going to be good. Brown is going to need to step things up big time and play like a first liner for us for the coming months going into the post-season.

ďThis is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!Ē - Bob Miller

Last edited by Telos: 12-27-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 12:57 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Fibula fracture is min six weeks with another two weeks rehab. Depending on where in the Fibula, skating may be affected for even longer. That was my injury at th Vegas hockey tournament in September 2008. I walked around (and drove all the way home from) Frozen Fury with a broken leg.

I wish JW a quick and speedy recovery.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:04 AM
MxK1NGS

Anyone have a vid for it? I didn't see the 1st half of the game.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:06 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

I don't think I can deal with this fully until tomorrow.

Needless to say it sucks, but I think we fought through worse in the past month.

Let this be the end of the plague!

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoCAcondorsKingsGuy View Post
Folks,

Depends on the mechanism of injury, but this sounds like a torque fracture, which would likely be a spiral fracture of the tibia. The docs on site didnít move him until he could be splinted, so looks like they knew by the location and the angulation right away.

This depends on a lot of factors: 1): comminution or not; 2): compound or not; 3): level on the tibia. Comminution = multiple fracture fragments. Compound = bone through the skin.

Iíve seen two hockey players fracture bones in their legs for the Bakersfield Condors. Both were horrific injuries, full speed into the end boards, jam the skate into the crack and shatter the bone, in one case the femur, the other the tibia and fibula. In each case, the playerís career was finished. In each case, the fractures were comminuted; in the case of the tibial fracture (fibula was fractured, too), the fracture was compound as well. Both players struggle to walk without a limp, years later.

The idea of a return to hockey in 6-8 weeks is a pipe dream. Remember, these are hockey players. They make their living on their feet, utilizing tremendous leg strength pumping each leg to achieve high speeds, utilizing their skates and a tremendous sense of balance to turn on a dime. Personally, I canít imagine Williams back this season. This is a 3-4 month injury in the best of cases, for an average adult human being to fully heal.

I imagine the tibia will be pinned, screws placed with a titanium plate over a fibular fracture (if indicated). Those who say it is better to be a fracture are right as long as a joint is not directly affected by ligamentous injury. But donít forget, full healing is needed before athletic rehabilitation can begin. You all saw what happened with Simmonds tonight, after a scope repair of his knee. He has little leg strength, yet. Imagine what Williams will have to do to recover his hockey legs.

Some of you may remember Joe Theismannís career-ending lower leg fracture, of the tibia and fibula. That was a dirty compound fracture, the open ends of the wound smashed into the soil. This wonít be nearly as bad as that.

Best case guess: 3-4 months to full healing (if no other issues), two months to rehab/ that means June.

Call this a season-ending injury, without heroic recovery; pray that this is not much, much worse.
That's what Bako said on Kings Insider. Anyone else think it is going to be 3-4 months?

Old
12-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I sure hope Ray Whitney is a King soon. Get better JW.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:12 AM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I sure hope Ray Whitney is a King soon. Get better JW.
Who will we give? Frolov? No.. B/C there will be a gap for him..

Old
12-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
Who will we give? Frolov? No.. B/C there will be a gap for him..
Purcell and some picks or something. Either way, someone is going to have to step up on the right side other than just Brown and Simmonds.

Old
12-27-2009, 01:18 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
That's what Bako said on Kings Insider. Anyone else think it is going to be 3-4 months?
Well, I guess it's like anything else...a bunch of speculation.....only the x-ray machine knows for sure right now.

I was encouraged that he was reported on crutches at the arena near the end/after the game. If it was one of those horrific breaks, ESPECIALLY a compound break, he'd have been in surgery, or at least at a hospital, by then....not tooling around on crutches.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:21 AM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Purcell and some picks or something. Either way, someone is going to have to step up on the right side other than just Brown and Simmonds.
Well for the time being, I believe Purcell will be back in the line-up.

Old
12-27-2009, 01:22 AM
fxhomie

Sharks Torrey Mitchell broke his leg over 15 months ago, and he is still not recovered to being the player he was before the fracture.

fxhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
Well for the time being, I believe Purcell will be back in the line-up.
I was about to say this, it's put up or shut up time for Teddy Purcell.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:25 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I'm thinking JW is just horribly unlucky with these things. The way the play happened was just horrible luck. :\ Not sure what to say.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:27 AM
dabeechman

Looked like a spiral fracture. You can bet your butt it will be both bones. Same thing happened to my dad when I put him into the boards. He went down and his skate stayed planted and he fell on it. I can't give you a recovery time line for him because he cut his cast off after the second week so he could go back to work.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I'm thinking JW is just horribly unlucky with these things. The way the play happened was just horrible luck. :\ Not sure what to say.
Definately seems like he had a house built on an Indian graveyard or something.

Right now I say he'll be lucky to be back by the playoffs.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:44 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I blame the non-sexypick avatars.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 03:01 AM
ReigningKING

I suffered a spiral fracture of the fibula, along with a completely shattered ankle that needed surgery. I had to have 2 screws put in, and was told by the ambulance drivers and emergency room nurse that I was done playing for a year!

It happened on March 12, 2009. I was cleared to start walking on may 7, and put on my skates on June 15, 2009.

The first month was brutal...couldn't play for 2 days straight without having the ankle swell up. By July, I was completely back to normal.

I know the injury is different, and the extent of it is unknown, but heres hoping that JW is back alot sooner than we all expect.

ReigningKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Oilers fan here,

I hope Williams gets better quick. I've always liked him. He just can't seem to get a chance with the injuries lately.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote