HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Don Cherry's Olympic team

Old
12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
JL17

vCash: 500
Adding Bergeron, J Staal, Robidas and Fisher, Mike Babcock won't have to manager egos. You need to bring guys in that are willing to playing 6-10 minutes per game. Can you imagine Heatley playing 6-10 minutes a game??? He played 3 less minutes in Ottawa and wanted out. Babcock will need some guys that are happy to be there and accept those limited roles. They'll play there heart out in the minutes and not crying about ice time.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

very good team except for maybe robidas and stall.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Adding Bergeron, J Staal, Robidas and Fisher, Mike Babcock won't have to manager egos. You need to bring guys in that are willing to playing 6-10 minutes per game. Can you imagine Heatley playing 6-10 minutes a game??? He played 3 less minutes in Ottawa and wanted out. Babcock will need some guys that are happy to be there and accept those limited roles. They'll play there heart out in the minutes and not crying about ice time.
When it comes to Team Canada, they will. Joe Thornton said over summer he'd play a 4th line grinder role if he had to. Heatley was Ottawa's superstar player where his role on the team was to be the one who scores the goals, especially on the powerplay. With Team Canada, he's still going to be expected to play an offensive role but he knows that he isn't THE guy.

Besides, what is he going to do, demand that Team Canada trade him?

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 05:22 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

I really like it, except for Phaneuf and Green.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 05:24 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post
When it comes to Team Canada, they will. Joe Thornton said over summer he'd play a 4th line grinder role if he had to. Heatley was Ottawa's superstar player where his role on the team was to be the one who scores the goals, especially on the powerplay. With Team Canada, he's still going to be expected to play an offensive role but he knows that he isn't THE guy.

He was born in Germany....

Old
12-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Yeah, he could play for team Germany if he wanted. Sharks's backup goalie Greiss, who is expected to start for Germany, has been bribing him with beer and hot dogs. You can't do that mid-tournament though.

Anyway, it's not necessarily childish or inconsiderate to want more ice time and to ask for a trade if you think you can get it somewhere else. If he were known for causing scenes mid-game or fights in the locker room, that would be a different story.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 05:31 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post

No offense to Joe but he doesn't have the speed and agility to be an effective grinder/shutdown type player couple that with the right mindset. Guys like Fisher and Staal know what to expect in that role and know how to cover the topline.

Old
12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
DuklaNation

Doan belongs on that team ahead of Stamkos.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
No offense to Joe but he doesn't have the speed and agility to be an effective grinder/shutdown type player couple that with the right mindset. Guys like Fisher and Staal know what to expect in that role and know how to cover the topline.
Of course not, I agree with you, just demonstrating that I don't think that egos will be a problem when it comes to playing for Team Canada, guys will do what is asked of them just to be there. (except for someone like Patrick Roy).

Quote:
Doan belongs on that team ahead of Stamkos.
Who has the 2nd most goals in the NHL (behind Ovechkin) since last February? Hint, it isn't Doan.

Old
12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
mcvey

I'm glad a lot of you guys aren't picking rosters for Canada.

Doan? Smyth? Fisher? Bergeron? Yeesh. 2006 all over again.

mcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post

I agree with the first 3... but Bergeron will make it. Canada has a lot of great left handed faceoff men (Crosby & Toews in particular) but nobody great at RH faceoffs. Bergeron is there to take right side faceoffs in Canada's own end, and to kill penalties.

Old
12-27-2009, 10:51 PM
reddog737

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Robidas deserves to make Team Canada.
Phaneuf, not so much.

Jordan Staal has been good killing penalties, but I wouldnt take him over Doan who brings grit, skill and can kill penalties too

Toews would not be on my team because he has regressed this year, but instead Ryan Smyth, who has as many points in 10 less games and is back from injury
Toews has NOT regressed, 29 points in 32 games and is 3rd in the league in plus/minus with +18 even though he missed 6 games with a concussion and he is 4/6 in the shootout. he will make the team and deserves to be there

reddog737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:06 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post

LMAO your post pretty much sums up what was wrong with our team in 2006.

HC was to loyal to the "sexy" picks and not the guys who were hot at that time

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:22 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Would you elaborate? I haven't watched enough Dallas games this year.

J.Staal is a joke
Staal probably won't be on the team, but if there's a joke on Cherry's team, it is Mike Green, not Jordan Staal.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 11:24 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Of course NO Europeans at all....
I'd have thought his team would've been

Doug Gilmour-Doug Gilmour-Doug Gilmour

Bobby Orr-Bobby Orr
Bobby Orr-Bobby Orr
Bobby Orr-Bobby Orr

what? He's FINALLY gotten over his man crush?

Quote:
J.Staal is a joke
I'm the president of the "will people PLEASE stop overhyping J. Staal Thanks to how hard Crosby-Malkin-Fleury play" Club (umm... the WPPSOJSTTHHCMFP ) I'll say this... the kid has FINALLY shown some growth in his game THIS year.. He's playing more like a man, seems stronger and is showing growth in his power game.... still should in no way be included in the team but who knows,... that super long reach of his might mesmerize the brass again)

Personally I feel his BROTHER Erik could play his role and bring a better offensive dimension to it.. erik staal not making it while jordan is being strongly considered is an utter joke. They might as well just have him sit in the locker room drinking magaritas, waiting for the others to do all the heavy lifting

Last edited by the_speedster: 12-28-2009 at 12:20 AM.
the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:45 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
Thoughts on Don's team?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWRLiiA4N8o

Getzlaf-Crosby-Perry
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
J.Staal- B.Richards-Nash
Fisher-Toews-Iginla
Stampkos

Pronger-Weber
Niedermayer-Boyle
Robidas-Green
Phaneuf

Brodeur
Luongo
Fluery

That's a lot of centremen playing the wing. lol

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:42 AM
buffalowing88

Do not like the Niedermayer or Fisher vote.

Niedermayer has become washed up, as much as he can become at least. He doesent deserve the respect this year. His career is already set in stone, but if Team Canada wants to win, leave Scott home.

Fisher is hot right now, but I just cannot see it lasting. Richards trumps him in most categories if not all and he has a lot more to prove at this point....

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

He made some great points for Robidas but I think in the end you have to go with Kieth no matter what on this team and I would put him in Robidas place. Green will be great on the PP and could help us stopping Ovie.

Instead of Toews, I would rather take Richards. Instead of Staal, I would put St Louis. In that Fisher spot, It would be a hard last minute decision between Eric Staal, Fisher and Bergeron.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:53 AM
McCullogh

Very, very good team. But then again it would be difficult to pick a bad Team Canada, even for Mr. Cherry.

From my perspective here in Sweden I would have picked Morrow and Keith instead of Staal and Robidas though.

Your team makes me jellous. Just looking at some of the talent who wont make the squad for you guys while we have guys like Modin, Weinhandl and Johansson in our team

It will be difficult for you guys to avoid the gold.

Last edited by McCullogh: 12-28-2009 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
McCullogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:55 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
That's a lot of centremen playing the wing. lol
yeah, and people dont seem to realize how big a deal that is.

I'm fine with the following guys playing wing, because they have experience doing so and because they are all defensively responsible enough to merit making the team in their off-position: B. Richards, Bergeron, Fisher.

If any other centers are playing wing, i'm afraid it just wont work out. This is a short tournament, there is no time for them to get used to being a winger.

My lineup, with only one spot i'm still debating on:
Rick Nash
Jerome Iginla (Jarome/Jorome, Iginila/Iginlia for those of you that spend too much time on HF)
Martin St. Louis
Corey Perry
Dany Heatley
Brendan Morrow

Sidney Crosby
Joe Thornton
Ryan Getzlaf
Mike Richards

Jonathan Toews (13th forward, will get time on different lines and PP, PK)
Patrick Marleau (W)
Mike Fisher/Patrice Bergeron/Brad Richards (W)

Scott Niedermayer
Chris Pronger
Duncan Keith
Jay Bouwmeester
Shea Weber
Dan Boyle
Brent Seabrook (Over Mike Green, Dion Phaneuf, and others)

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Marc-André Fleury

For me, the problems on the 06 team were:
Bryan Mccabe, a pure offensive d-man
Robyn Regehr, a pure defensive d-man
Kris Draper, a pure defensive forward
Shane Doan and Ryan Smyth, underachieving legacy players

The 06 disaster came down to 3 games, all 2-0 shutouts (switzerland, finland, and russia in that order). That tells me that bringing a guy who will be counted on for his defensive contributions only will not work. We could run into a gerber again, but we have to know that every player on the team is a top player offensively.

On the other hand, if you look at the '98 team, the problem was the opposite. The two games we lost (czechs and finns), our forwards were outworked and did not keep up defensively. The czechs deserved to win that game, even though it ended up being lost in a shootout, and the finns won the game on the PP.

When i try to envision the perfect team for canada to send to vancouver, i want to have 13 forwards and 7 defencemen that i know will not be a liability on the ice, and that all have considerable offensive upside. The only one player i worry about in my lineup is pronger, because he has a tendency to take bad penalties, but if he is able to stay straight he could be the best d-man of the tournament. Offensively, there is not a single guy i list who isnt a 20-goal scorer in the NHL.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:04 AM
MotorMaster

I don't mind his team. I wan't St.louis there he creates so much and gives a lot of energy to the team.

I do agree we need a shut down line Fisher-Doan- J.Staal/morrow/toews one of those three would be a good line.

MotorMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:13 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
The game has passed you by grapes. LOL @ Jordan Staal. Dude belongs nowhere near the team..

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 05:14 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
Thoughts on Don's team?
Getzlaf-Crosby-Perry
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
J.Staal- B.Richards-Nash
Fisher-Toews-Iginla
Stampkos

Pronger-Weber
Niedermayer-Boyle
Robidas-Green
Phaneuf

Brodeur
Luongo
Fluery
I've seen worse. But to tell you the truth as much as I love Don he sometimes picks teams with his heart and not always his head. Canada will need all their horses to win this very difficult tournament.

So in my mind get B. Richards and Fisher off of there. Replace them with Mike Richards who is far more efficient than an overpaid point collector like Brad. Since we have Jordan Staal on there already get Fisher off of there and put in some more scoring. I suggest St. Louis. He might be a right winger but I don't care, shuffle the lines so somehow a guy like St. Louis fits in there. Or Carter, I don't care. I like the fact that Staal is on there. No one can kill penalties better in the NHL than him IMO. Plus I like Stamkos as the 13th forward. He's a wild card but seriously in a tourny like this we might need some explosiveness.

The goalies are butter. Who wouldn't pick them? Only a homer from Columbus (Mason) or Dallas (Turco) would have anyone but those three.

Defense is where Don gets it wrong too. Keith should be a lock cinch. Robidas is too much of a wild card. Why put him in there with so many others out? Put Keith in there. Phaneuf isn't a bad pick either but if you had Regehr or even Seabrook in his place it wouldn't hurt.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:30 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

What a bad choice from Cherry.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:52 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
interesting that he didn't include Lucic.he's getting back from the injury these days.

Lucic - Crosby - Iginla would be much better #1 line than that one with Nash. Grinder - Playmaker - Sniper is the best line combo.
Maybe in video games, not always in real life

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote