HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL working toward shorter schedule

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
NHL working toward shorter schedule

I like the idea of shortening the season, but hate the fact that they're gonna kill out of conference games

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=81473

read post #44

Old
04-24-2004, 09:56 PM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
I think it'd be interesting, it'd be very MLB-ish... although the MLB plays like 160 some odd games a year.

I don't think it'll happen though because of the fact the league is so gate-driven, repetitive hockey (although things will most likely heat up with teams being able to begin to garner a real hate for each other) will/could drive away casual fans and today, teams need to play higher profile teams regardless of conference because they have a larger fan base. Also, less gate means less pay for players, so who knows how it'd play out. I'm all for less games, but I don't know if this would be the way to do it.

But .. Nashville playing Detroit 8 or so times a year would be nice.

Old
04-26-2004, 10:34 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuRtZLeSs
I think it'd be interesting, it'd be very MLB-ish... although the MLB plays like 160 some odd games a year.

I don't think it'll happen though because of the fact the league is so gate-driven, repetitive hockey (although things will most likely heat up with teams being able to begin to garner a real hate for each other) will/could drive away casual fans and today, teams need to play higher profile teams regardless of conference because they have a larger fan base. Also, less gate means less pay for players, so who knows how it'd play out. I'm all for less games, but I don't know if this would be the way to do it.

But .. Nashville playing Detroit 8 or so times a year would be nice.
It sounds like they would trim the early season games when Hockey competes with football. That's when Nashville has it's worst crowds generally. More games vs conference foes would build rivalries and create bigger crowds than teams that are less familar. The article states that the owners and players association are on the same page on this.

And yes, the Preds would love more dates vs Detroit- a bigger gate anytime than a weeknight game vs the Florida Panthers!

Old
04-26-2004, 10:47 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I'm not against it and it would in some ways make the stanley cup final more exciting since the 2 teams wouldn't have met in the regular season, but I dunno. I kind of like the 82 game format.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Or, we could play 17 times a year, and boast our great attendance numbers per/game! (coughnflcough)

Old
04-27-2004, 03:11 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I do NOT like this.

I HATE Detroit. I HATE going to games when they come. I hate watching games up there on TV. Iím starting to hate St. Louis, too. I canít stand our division. I donít want to play these teams any more than now. I hate them so much I would rather not go to games when Detroit comes, the fans that come here are so vile and worthless and I have never been impressed with anything about them or their team. If we were in any other division, I hate ours. And Tampa is stuck with playing in their division all year, they seemingly will run away with their division.

I want to see teams of the other conference. Everyone is always so quick to get rid of the interconference games but when the teams play each other, there is almost always something exciting. Hey guess what weíll never get to see Ovechkin play with this format, or Kovalchuk, or St.Louis or any other exciting player in the East! Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Philly, NYRangers, Pittsburgh, Boston will never come here again. How stupid is it that we wonít even play Atlanta ever again, yet they are only like 3 hours away from us! Or that Detroit and Toronto wonít play each other and their basically across the river from each other!

Less travel? Well thatís a stupid argument, the teams on the West coast still have to make cross country flights to come play us in the Central Division, and we have to go out there so who does it really benefit? Oh right, the eastern conference teams only.

I like the 82 games. I like having 41 games to go to. I can get on board with 72 games, but ONLY if they donít cut inter-conference and DONíT increase divisional games.

Old
04-27-2004, 04:50 AM
stu the grim reaper

no more 50 goal scorers ever again

Closed Thread