HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle to Caps

Old
12-28-2009, 07:25 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
dude, Morrison plays the left point when Ovechkin is out of the lineup. They have used him twice there recently on a 5 on 3. But the fact is that the Caps base power play unit is Green and Ovechkin on the pts. Backstrom and Semin on the half walls. They use Knuble or Laich in front of the net.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
dude, Morrison plays the left point when Ovechkin is out of the lineup. They have used him twice there recently on a 5 on 3. But the fact is that the Caps base power play unit is Green and Ovechkin on the pts. Backstrom and Semin on the half walls. They use Knuble or Laich in front of the net.
The way Green plays right now Kaberle might be a better option, considering Green doesn't do backdoor pinches anymore and is there mostly for playmaking/keep ins, which Kaberle is better than him at. Personally, I wouldn't mind Kaberle on the left point, Green on the right point, Ovechkin on the left sideboards, Backstrom at center/towards the right, and Laich in the crease. Semin on the half walls I can live without.

Also we wouldn't be getting him to run a PP. It would be very nice to see competent puck movement from anyone other than Green as well. Plus Kaberle would likely be our best defenseman defensively or right up there.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
The way Green plays right now Kaberle might be a better option, considering Green doesn't do backdoor pinches anymore and is there mostly for playmaking/keep ins, which Kaberle is better than him at. Personally, I wouldn't mind Kaberle on the left point, Green on the right point, Ovechkin on the left sideboards, Backstrom at center/towards the right, and Laich in the crease. Semin on the half walls I can live without.

Also we wouldn't be getting him to run a PP. It would be very nice to see competent puck movement from anyone other than Green as well. Plus Kaberle would likely be our best defenseman defensively or right up there.
not for the cost no. If they want picks? fine. a forward prospect up to and including fehr? fine. a d prospect not named alzner, carlson and maybe orlov? fine.

long term alzner and carlson will be far more valuable than kaberle could be for us.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:48 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafanatic13 View Post
Believe it or not, you're wrong.

I don't mean to be a homer, but there's no team in this league that Kaberle doesn't play on the first unit PP.
Well homer, guess what he'd pull second line PP duty in DC. Mike Green is the best offensive defenseman in the NHL by a country mile so he gets one spot on the point. The other spot belong to a guy named ovechkin. On the wings there are these two mediocre guys named Backsrom and Semin and down lowto park in front of the net is some small forward named Mike Knuble or Brooks Laich. So Last time I checked Kaberle doesn't park himself with much regularity so he'd be relegated to second PP line duty.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:53 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Not that I want to see Kaberle dealt under any circumstances, but I really don't agree with your logic here. Kaberle isn't a rental player, and he's right at the top of defence scoring, leading his team in scoring by a wide margin. On top of that he has a very cap and payroll friendly contract. Why, when you consider all this, would a late 1st, decent prospect and 3rd round pick be a good return? They would want an impact player coming back to even consider dealing him - that might not make sense for Washington, but its no problem for the Leafs to keep Kaberle long term either.
I never said I thought leafs fans would like it but I did say it's an accurate reflection of what players get traded for at the deadline. Make no mistake while he's good he's not Chris Pronger so any thoughts that the Leafs get that return is far fetched.

Toronto may simply hold onto him, but if he moves at the deadline to the Caps it won't be for one of the crown jewels in their farm system.

If Proger wasn't enticing enough to relinquish those players Kaberle certainly won't.

Old
12-28-2009, 10:27 AM
leafsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
I never said I thought leafs fans would like it but I did say it's an accurate reflection of what players get traded for at the deadline. Make no mistake while he's good he's not Chris Pronger so any thoughts that the Leafs get that return is far fetched.

Toronto may simply hold onto him, but if he moves at the deadline to the Caps it won't be for one of the crown jewels in their farm system.

If Proger wasn't enticing enough to relinquish those players Kaberle certainly won't.
disagree with the bolded statement

infact this is exactly the kind of return you would get for a player of Kaberle's calibure at the trade deadline, top propsects + Picks. Capitals will not be trading their very good roster players for Kaberle because that would actually effect their cup run so its always prospects and picks or 1st or 2nd year NHLers.

leafsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
leafsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
not for the cost no. If they want picks? fine. a forward prospect up to and including fehr? fine. a d prospect not named alzner, carlson and maybe orlov? fine.

long term alzner and carlson will be far more valuable than kaberle could be for us.
I doubt Burke is going to trade Kaberle without getting one of Alzner or Carlson. Kaberle is getting trade because of the return he might get and if they don't get the return no point in trading him.

Old
12-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2 View Post
I doubt Burke is going to trade Kaberle without getting one of Alzner or Carlson. Kaberle is getting trade because of the return he might get and if they don't get the return no point in trading him.
This is my point of my statement. The offer going each way is unacceptable to the other. Now, stuff happens and things can change for certain but as we stand now, this is a much better discussion than trade proposal/rumor.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Agreed entirely with this point, and the likelihood is that he remains in Toronto.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason12 View Post

Tomas Kaberle

Flyers 1st
Capitals 2nd

Hagman
Alzner
White
1. Flyers don't have a 1st this year.

2. Caps aren't moving Alzner apparently.

3. Did the Leafs just get fleeced for their 2 offensive d men and leading goal scorer for nothing ?!

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:09 PM
avengedsevenfold

Quote:

Tomas Kaberle

Flyers 1st
Capitals 2nd

Hagman
Alzner
White

Kabs,Hagman and white for a non existant 1st and a pick at the bottom of the second round,

philly gets white alzner and hagman for a non existant 1st

what about this

To Leafs
Alzner
2nd

To Caps
Kaberle

avengedsevenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:

It's still paying too much for something the Caps don't need: offense from their blueline. Have you checked the stats lately? The Caps are averaging 3.58 goals/game with their current squad, .32 better than the next team (SJS). They have 139 goals for, 12 more than the Sharks.

Let someone else pay the premium for a high scoring defenseman. It doesn't make sense for the Caps to waste their assets that way, regardless of Kaberle's defensive skill.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
txpd

Quote:

Green doesnt get backdoor looks anymore because the PK is taking that away. That is why Green's assist are up and his down. They are taking away his shot and forcing him to beat them with the pass and so, he has

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:41 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Well homer, guess what he'd pull second line PP duty in DC. Mike Green is the best offensive defenseman in the NHL by a country mile so he gets one spot on the point. The other spot belong to a guy named ovechkin. On the wings there are these two mediocre guys named Backsrom and Semin and down lowto park in front of the net is some small forward named Mike Knuble or Brooks Laich. So Last time I checked Kaberle doesn't park himself with much regularity so he'd be relegated to second PP line duty.

What im saying is if you have Kaberle on your team, the dynamic of your PP changes. Kaberle and Green on the point and Ovechkin on the halfboards becomes the new dynamic.

He's tied for first in power play assists and tied for third in power play points, on a team that's currently 14th in the league for power play proficiency. So basically he's getting those points setting up players like Stajan, Ponikarovsky and Hagman. If he was on Washington it'd be Ovechkin, Green, Backstrom and Semin.

If you're going to sit here and tell me Kaberle wouldn't get a look on the first power play just because you think he doesn't fit in the current system, then you're seriously undervaluing Kaberle.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There are only so many positions on the point. Green is a flawed defenseman, but that is his office and he is not going anywhere. The other point has arguably the best player in the world, top three by unanimous consent.

Kaberle is a hell of a mobile offensive defenseman, but the Caps have the points covered on the powerplay. What does that mean? Well, maybe this player ought not to be priority #1 for the Caps.

Old
12-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Mac Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
bobby ryan is from cherry hill if your from the area its considered suburban philly even though its located in new jersey. hes got pretty strong connections to the organization particularly bobby clarke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3782270
I did not know that, I've been through there a few times and it's a really nice place. Last time I was there was just after that movie came out and we wanted to go to White Castle, god I love that place.

GO AVS GO

Mac Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Mac Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengedsevenfold View Post
Kabs,Hagman and white for a non existant 1st and a pick at the bottom of the second round,

philly gets white alzner and hagman for a non existant 1st

what about this

To Leafs
Alzner
2nd

To Caps
Kaberle
Now that is a more realistic trade but I think Burke would still ask for a 1st insted of a 2nd.

GO AVS GO

Mac Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:18 PM
liverpoolfcjr

Quote:

Tomas Kaberle

Flyers 1st
Capitals 2nd

Hagman
Alzner
White

huh

flyers get hagman alzner and white all for a 1st round pick

AND leafs get a first and a second for kaberle hagman and white.... that would not even get you kaberle

liverpoolfcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
tzinc

Caps won't trade Alzner and Carlson. So... Leafs get a young developing forward in Fehr and perhaps a young farm forward like Osala and get a starting d-man like Jurcina or Morrison who can play the PP or even a vet in Poti and get a #1 draft pick. That's quite a bit for the Leafs since they have a #1 pick back as well as 2 younger forwards and dman who can play now.

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Man View Post
Now that is a more realistic trade but I think Burke would still ask for a 1st insted of a 2nd.

GO AVS GO
im not sure if caps would go for this especially if burke was holding out for a 1st. i would think a first would be a must for burke. i would consider throwing something else in on the leafs side to bump the 2nd to a first. i think burke might prefer carlson though. he is a little further away but has more offensive upside. it also wouldnt take anything away from caps defense.

id be all over something like, carlson, osala, 1st + expiring salary dump for kabs and stempniak.

leafs defense would be pretty sexy in a few years

beauch white
komi gunnarson
carlson schenn

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't think the Caps care about the first rounder, to be honest. Toss it in there. It's Alzner or Carlson that is the sticking point, and ultimately the breaking point. There isn't a deal here. Those guys are future core members of a defense group that needs them in the worst way.

Old
12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
leafsfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
Caps won't trade Alzner and Carlson. So... Leafs get a young developing forward in Fehr and perhaps a young farm forward like Osala and get a starting d-man like Jurcina or Morrison who can play the PP or even a vet in Poti and get a #1 draft pick. That's quite a bit for the Leafs since they have a #1 pick back as well as 2 younger forwards and dman who can play now.
honestly kaberle isn't getting trade for Fehr, zero chance, only chance is if the one of the big 2 are included (Alzner,Carlson) and i don't see that happening but who knows what happens in the future but if i am a betting man i would say Kaberle doesn't get traded as stays a leaf.

Old
12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
leafsfan2

if i am washington Ian White is going to be the target, He isn't going to cost as much as kaberle and he is a solid up and coming Top 4 defensemen, a very good upgrade over Poti,Schultz.

Old
12-28-2009, 04:04 PM
tzinc

WAS will not trade Carlson and Alzner they wouldnt do it for Pronger they're not going to do it for Kaberle

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
disagree with the bolded statement

infact this is exactly the kind of return you would get for a player of Kaberle's calibure at the trade deadline, top propsects + Picks. Capitals will not be trading their very good roster players for Kaberle because that would actually effect their cup run so its always prospects and picks or 1st or 2nd year NHLers.
Call me when it happens.

I'm still waiting for the last phone call from Leafs fans that Antropov was going to fetch a 1st.

My money is that if it does happen it will be for a 1st, a mid-level prospect and another pick/maybe a mid-tier roster guy.