HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Good, cheap skates for a beginner

Old
12-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

vCash: 500
Good, cheap skates for a beginner

Hi, I am an extreme beginner to ice skating, and I'm sick of renting crappy skates from my local ice rink.

I'm looking for a good pair of hockey skates that costs ~$70 or less. I was looking at these, but I have no idea if they're good or not and need some help.

Also, my shoe size is US 13

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:25 AM
vexXed

Check out this link, it will save you a lot of hassle when deciding which skates to get.

http://www99.epinions.com/content_3832651908

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:32 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Another VERY important factor is your weight and leg drive...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:31 PM
raganblink

go to ur lhs and look for discounted skates. that will be your best bet. for instance, you could find an an old se6 from easton relatively cheap, and bauer one35 for cheap. these two skates are a step above the basic rec skate, which will give you actual ankle support. trust me, it will be a ***** if you get those tours or any other skate that is designed around a 50-70 price range, a skate designed for 100-150 that is on sale is going to help you and your feet so much.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Devil Dancer

You should try skates on before buying, but FYI I loved my entry level Eastons that I got for ~$70.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:16 PM
CanadaBacon

Sometimes an entry level skate IS the best skate for a person. Alot of people just starting out or who have only been skating for a few years make the mistake of going out and dropping 250-400$ on a skate that is too high a level for their skating abilities and then inturn hurts their skating.

I would pass on those Tours though, if i was getting entry level, i personally wouldnt drop less then 100$ on them.

ie X:05, Se2, (IX maybe?). I think you can pick up the V04 and X:15 for like 120-130ish this time of year.

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 12-28-2009 at 02:23 PM.
CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For a BEGINNER, I'd buy used, get skates that fit your feet really close with absolutely no pain or pressure, and not spend more than about $100. If you love the game, you'll want to get $250-300 skates that will last a few years, and if you don't, sell them back for $50.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:27 PM
CanadaBacon

There are some problems with buying used. There is a good chance that the boot has gone soft, the steel will have to be replaced, the boots is already broken in to someone elses foot. If you can find a used skate with only a couple hours on them go for it though.

Used skates are great for kids though.

Old
12-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah I wouldn't buy a pair that's been to hell and back, but beginner skates are flimsy pieces of crap with bad steel on them anyway.

My first pair of Vapor VII's ran me $80 and lasted about three months before the boot and outsole turned to mush and the steel was rusting and needed to be sharpened every other ice time.

If you're interested in hockey and you have a shop that sells used skates (a lot of them are only lightly used), that's a good way to go. Clearance skates that were $150-200 marked way down aren't bad. If you're serious though and want to take classes/lessons/join a league, beg borrow or steal the $300-ish models that will last a good long time.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:58 PM
CanadaBacon

Totally right about the durability.

Even if you are serious about hockey a 300$ pair of skates might not be the best route and may infact hurt your skating if your abilities arnt up to what the skate needs from you.

Anyone new the game or are just weak skaters really shouldnt spend more then 200$ on skates. You just wont be getting the performance that you have paid for out of the skate and can actually make your skating even worse. For the majority of rec players an int level skate will give the best performance and the best value.

*Disclaimer- This is for rec leaguers who have no interest in taking skating schools/lessons and are happy with there abilities. This is not for high level skaters. If you have great skating abilities or plan on taking as many skating schools/lessons as you can to become a great skater, a high end skate may be your best bet for performance/value.*

Old
12-28-2009, 04:04 PM
VickiUKHockeyFan

I've got some Bauer One05's (not a typo, a lot of people I talk to think I mean One35's or something). For me, an average skater, they're great. The thing is, I've got very little access to ice time (3-4 months a year on a Christmas rink), who cant start playing til she moves somewhere closer to a rink, and these skates have improved my skating no end compared to rentals. I got them because my feet are odd shaped, and rentals hurt me badly.

I didn't try on (no local rink = no LHS) so I bought online and I guess I got lucky. The skates cost me 68 so don't know what that is in USD.

VickiUKHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Johan Santana

I just picked up hockey recently and been working on my skating.

I was in the same boat you were 3 month ago and I went with the Mission Wickeds: http://www.epuck.com/miswkdsktsr.html

I asked around and for that price you are getting a skate that is a lot better than the entry level models being offered all over that cannot be molded or have carbon steel blades. I had these baked and they cannot be any more comfortable. Considering these skates were 300$ when they came out, they are in a little bit of a mid-level class as opposed to most 70$ skates which are entry class and made not as well as mid-level skates. The reason they are so cheap is because Mission has been bought by Bauer so all their ice hockey equipment is on closeout.

These also have the adjustable blade height which I haven't messed around with yet. Also Mission sizes are exact with shoe sizes but I went with a size smaller to get a snug fit. Hopefully this helps!

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:56 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiUKHockeyFan View Post
I've got some Bauer One05's (not a typo, a lot of people I talk to think I mean One35's or something). For me, an average skater, they're great. The thing is, I've got very little access to ice time (3-4 months a year on a Christmas rink), who cant start playing til she moves somewhere closer to a rink, and these skates have improved my skating no end compared to rentals. I got them because my feet are odd shaped, and rentals hurt me badly.

I didn't try on (no local rink = no LHS) so I bought online and I guess I got lucky. The skates cost me 68 so don't know what that is in USD.
roughly 140ish bucks, can get them for about 45-50 pound here.

Pretty much the same as the X:05 except more for the "power skater" as oppose to the "agility" skater.

Old
12-31-2009, 07:13 PM
greyraven8

better of getting a half decent used skate for around $100 plus or minus.
try your local play-it-again, source for sports, ads at arenas, kijiji, craigslist, etc.

i'd definitely buy local so you can try the skates on - buying online for skates is only okay if you are buying the same model of something you already own - you'll be taking a big chance on the skate fitting properly.

got my CCM 852 super tacks used for around that price and have used them for many, many, years. The toes were scuffed and the skates marked somewhat, but the boot and blade were and are in good shape.

if they are a half decent skate built in the last decade or so, you don't have to worry about a "soft boot"; they are built a lot stiffer than decades ago - unless they've been to hell and back the boot should be okay. don't need to look for a skate that looks like it's had "a couple of hours" - a couple of seasons is probably okay. it should be pretty obvious if the blade has most of it's steel left.

p.s. if you have a wider foot, i at least personally have found that the CCM's 'E' width is wider than bauer's "EE" and fits me better.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote