HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Mikael Samuelsson to Team Sweden: "They can go **** themselves"

Old
12-28-2009, 06:30 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

vCash: 500
I hate Samuelsson and always have. He's a complete ********* while at the same time being one of the top five ugliest living things on planet earth.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:30 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
That's why they took Modin. He doesn't need to score to be useful, and is a tough and gritty character player that fits in with the mold of the 2010 team. He'll stand in front of the net, go into the corners, is unafraid to take the body, and honestly, when he's healthy, he's better than Samuelsson at the only thing Samuelsson is slightly decent at; scoring goals.

Mikael Samuelsson adds absolutely nothing to Sweden. Nothing. He is one of the least accurate-shooting regular NHL forwards in recent history. His defense is hardly more than mediocre, and well, I think we can agree that the words "physical", "gritty", and "tough" do not describe him. Ask a Detroit fan.

This is NHL ice. Sweden knows it will be a very physical tournament, and that's what they geared up for. And when you're going into a physical situation, trust me, you leave Mikael Samuelsson behind. It would be a different story of Samuelsson was better offensively. He's not.

This team's fortunes at the 2010 Olympics have exactly zero correlation to whether Fredrik Modin or Mikael Samuelsson is on the roster. I think we know that. And Sweden knows that too. In that case, why not take the guy who you know will lay it all out on the line?
I actually think you're way off here on the physical side of Samuelsson. One thing I've noticed about him since he joined the Canucks is his gritty side. He plays a game like a typical Canadian. He's far from the stereotypical European player IMO.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:31 AM
BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
And Edler also out
I also think that was the right call. What confuses me is Tallinder over Hjalmersson(sp?), and Liv over someone like Hedberg, maybe Enroth.

BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:36 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
That's why they took Modin. He doesn't need to score to be useful, and is a tough and gritty character player that fits in with the mold of the 2010 team. He'll stand in front of the net, go into the corners, is unafraid to take the body, and honestly, when he's healthy, he's better than Samuelsson at the only thing Samuelsson is slightly decent at; scoring goals.

Mikael Samuelsson adds absolutely nothing to Sweden. Nothing. He is one of the least accurate-shooting regular NHL forwards in recent history. His defense is hardly more than mediocre, and well, I think we can agree that the words "physical", "gritty", and "tough" do not describe him. Ask a Detroit fan.

This is NHL ice. Sweden knows it will be a very physical tournament, and that's what they geared up for. And when you're going into a physical situation, trust me, you leave Mikael Samuelsson behind. It would be a different story of Samuelsson was better offensively. He's not.

This team's fortunes at the 2010 Olympics have exactly zero correlation to whether Fredrik Modin or Mikael Samuelsson is on the roster. I think we know that. And Sweden knows that too. In that case, why not take the guy who you know will lay it all out on the line instead of the guy who apparently thinks he has a right to play for the defending Gold Medalists?

in 8 games he got 4 points with his "worthless play" we'll see what modin's grittyness will get him.

They got grit and toughness from guys like forsberg who can actually score will doing it!

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:40 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhl-Coaster View Post
I actually think you're way off here on the physical side of Samuelsson. One thing I've noticed about him since he joined the Canucks is his gritty side. He plays a game like a typical Canadian. He's far from the stereotypical European player IMO.
Really? I am basing my opinion of him mainly off his play in Detroit, which will be backed up by anybody that watched him play as a Red Wing. He was inconsistent, and when he was bad, he was BRUTAL.

I'm being a little tough on him. He's not a useless player, but he doesn't have much on-ice intelligence. Shoots too quickly. He could be a decent playmaker if he didn't always want to shoot the puck. And he played little defense, hit nothing, and as we all know, loved sniping the logo on the chest of a goalie.

Maybe you are thinking about Ulf Samuelsson? Still, I don't see any reason to take him on that team. Just my opinion, honestly. They wanted toughness, and he's not really tough...

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Olympic goalies breathe a sigh of relief. No more having to tighten your chest and upper abdomen muscles to absorb the inevitable thud of a Samuelsson shot perfectly aimed to the top corner...of the logo on the front of your jersey.

I'd like to see an accuracy competition. Ray Bourque blind-folded and with a right-handed stick against Mikael Samuelsson shooting special pucks that are laser-designated to hit the target.

Bourque would win...unless Samuelsson's foam targets were squarely in the middle of the net. If that was the case, Bourque would be ****ed.
I don't know much about Samuelsson or the Swedish team, and don't know whether he should be on it, but I just have to say I find both his comments and the ones on this thread, especially the quoted, freaking hilarious. I've never been so enteratined in a thread about a player and team I don't care about.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
in 8 games he got 4 points with his "worthless play" we'll see what modin's grittyness will get him.

They got grit and toughness from guys like forsberg who can actually score will doing it!
He was a completely different player in 2005-06 as compared to today. Completely. Much better decision-making. Patient. Utilized his pretty solid vision and passing ability. Took high-percentage shots. Back-checked hard and was not afraid of getting hit.

Let's be honest now. He was confident because he was scoring a lot and played on a ridiculously good team. Hard not to back-check when Brendan Shanahan and Steve Yzerman are looking over your shoulder.

What happened after that? Well, he went back to shooting the puck from all angles, not having any patience to make the correct play, floating around the ice, and generally not doing anything. Is it surprising that he became a worse player in Detroit as his shot totals rose? Not to me, and definitely not to Red Wings fans.

He's playing better in Vancouver, but honestly, is there any point in taking someone that literally turned into a puck-hog over the past 3 seasons or so, and generally has a ridiculous shooting percentage of 5-8%?

The less Samuelsson shoots, the better he is at playing hockey. The last thing Sweden needs is him pounding shots over the net and directly into the goalie's chest. Unfortunately, he tends to do that more often than not.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:01 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
He was a completely different player in 2005-06 as compared to today. Completely. Much better decision-making. Patient. Utilized his pretty solid vision and passing ability. Took high-percentage shots. Back-checked hard and was not afraid of getting hit.

Let's be honest now. He was confident because he was scoring a lot and played on a ridiculously good team. Hard not to back-check when Brendan Shanahan and Steve Yzerman are looking over your shoulder.

What happened after that? Well, he went back to shooting the puck from all angles, not having any patience to make the correct play, floating around the ice, and generally not doing anything. Is it surprising that he became a worse player in Detroit as his shot totals rose? Not to me, and definitely not to Red Wings fans.

He's playing better in Vancouver, but honestly, is there any point in taking someone that literally turned into a puck-hog over the past 3 seasons or so, and generally has a ridiculous shooting percentage of 5-8%?

The less Samuelsson shoots, the better he is at playing hockey. The last thing Sweden needs is him pounding shots over the net and directly into the goalie's chest. Unfortunately, he tends to do that more often than not.
Well apperently you didn't know he's more "gritty" now so what makes you so sure he sucks as much as you think he does now aswell? clearly he still cares about playing and being in the olympics he has plenty left in the tank.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Samuelsson can go **** himself, and I'm a Detroit-fan that never really went against him even though many did. That's just not a way to react, he closes the door with the BÅG-staff now. It's not like he's a lock for the spot either, he's had a "decent" season in the canucks, but I agree Modin shouldn't be picked over him, even though I know Modin is pretty popular and adds to the "veteran"-core.

That's just no way you react, I can't think of any swedish player that has, or would have reacted in that way in the media.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:07 AM
stug*

The olympics means so much and getting picked after Modin is an insult.
And thank god this is BÅG:s last year as headcoach.

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:21 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Really? I am basing my opinion of him mainly off his play in Detroit, which will be backed up by anybody that watched him play as a Red Wing. He was inconsistent, and when he was bad, he was BRUTAL.

I'm being a little tough on him. He's not a useless player, but he doesn't have much on-ice intelligence. Shoots too quickly. He could be a decent playmaker if he didn't always want to shoot the puck. And he played little defense, hit nothing, and as we all know, loved sniping the logo on the chest of a goalie.

Maybe you are thinking about Ulf Samuelsson? Still, I don't see any reason to take him on that team. Just my opinion, honestly. They wanted toughness, and he's not really tough...
Most of what you said remains true, but he's been playing pretty tough in the corners and making some solid hit this year. Put Bouwmeester on his ass tonight. Doesn't shy away from the front of the net, or retrieving pucks.

However, his shot selection sucks. I don't even care if he shoots at the middle of the net, but if he could just wait for some traffic in front before he does it.

That being said, glad to have him on the Canucks and I love his honesty. If that's how he feels, then why not say so?

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:26 AM
KRM

Only thing I was happy about yesterday was that Samuelsson didn't make the roster. Good riddance to you Sammy, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
And Edler also out
Edler shouldn't have made the team. I'm glad he didn't.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Only thing I was happy about yesterday was that Samuelsson didn't make the roster. Good riddance to you Sammy, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Pretty much agree, even though I wouldn't have minded if he got elected, but now that he didn't, I say adios.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 07:59 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
yeah he should be there over Modin

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:00 AM
djavan

mikael sameuelsson not happy...

Notably absent from the list is Detroit's Johan Franzen, who is currently nursing a knee injury. Another notable absentee is Vancouver's Mikael Samuelsson, who pulled no punches in discussing the snub.

"Probably going to get in trouble for this, but they can go (expletive deleted) themselves," was his reaction following the Canucks win over Calgary Sunday night.

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Adama0905

I hate players that think they're entitled, no matter how funny it may be.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Although his disappointment is understandable, there goes any chances he has to make future National clubs.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:21 AM
JBIZ14

Doesn't matter...not like with a roster like that they have a chance at gold anyways.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:24 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Kind of surprised he didn't make it but as a person who is not politically correct myself, I like his response!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
Although his disappointment is understandable, there goes any chances he has to make future National clubs.
The guy is what, 34 years old? I don't think he cares that much about not being able to join any further WC's. He was left out of the olympics, which is what was important for him.

Kudos to him for being honest, when he's obviously very disappointed and pissed at the Swedish staff. Picking Modin ahead of him is a joke.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:09 AM
JL17

He retracts his statement tomorrow saying the media altered his sentence.

I like guys like this that say what's on their mind. Too bad he's not on the team but I don't think he's playing well enough.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Kevin Allen has observed that Samuelsson could regret this exclamation if a Swedish forward sustains a long-term injury between now and the Olympics. Now he's off the unofficial reserve list. National federations have long memories, certainly longer than a couple of months.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Kevin Allen has observed that Samuelsson could regret this exclamation if a Swedish forward sustains a long-term injury between now and the Olympics. Now he's off the unofficial reserve list. National federations have long memories, certainly longer than a couple of months.
Again: "While Samuelsson could be a potential injury replacement, he added that - as of now - he would not accept the call."

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:35 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Canada and Russia's line ups are ridiculous, however i wouldnt underestimate Sweden's. I think they're going to be a lot better than folks are giving them credit for.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote