HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Mikael Samuelsson to Team Sweden: "They can go **** themselves"

Old
12-28-2009, 09:36 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
He retracts his statement tomorrow saying the media altered his sentence.

I like guys like this that say what's on their mind. Too bad he's not on the team but I don't think he's playing well enough.
He can't be worse than Fredrik Modin...

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Again: "While Samuelsson could be a potential injury replacement, he added that - as of now - he would not accept the call."
also, who would want a guy like that on their team though? he just took a complete dump on the rest of that team, just because he isnt on it. selfish, arrogant, and disrespectful to both his country, and the players chosen to represent it.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:45 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
It's not arrogance saying they can go **** themselves.

It's honesty.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
Canada and Russia's line ups are ridiculous, however i wouldnt underestimate Sweden's. I think they're going to be a lot better than folks are giving them credit for.
Sure, Swedes and Finns can never be counted out. They usually always form teams that are better than the names on the paper.

Kronwall, Oduya, Murray and Öhlund are four tough (and solid) sobs, while Lidström and Enström bring playmaking. Lundqvist in net is always a strength and the centers are very solid.

It's the wingers that are kind of weak though.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Love the fact that he his 100% honest about the situation. And I can understand his frustrations. Though with that said, he must have realized that he was somewhere in the 12-15 region among forwards. Otherwise he is just kidding himself. If he truly belived that he was a sure thing for the Swedish roster, then ...

Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Quote:
Sure, Swedes and Finns can never be counted out. They usually always form teams that are better than the names on the paper.

Kronwall, Oduya, Murray and Öhlund are four tough (and solid) sobs, while Lidström and Enström bring playmaking. Lundqvist in net is always a strength and the centers are very solid.

It's the wingers that are kind of weak though.
I'm surprised Edler didn't make it...

I'm suprised that they picked over the hill players...

Edler has been really great for us... since coming back from injury,

21 points in 33 games is also pretty good.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:20 AM
slovakiasnextone

I definitely wouldn´t want a player with such an attitude on my national team....

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:21 AM
AK

I don't really get why he didn't make the team. This quote is outstanding.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Honestly one of the funniest things I've heard all year. Thanks for the late Xmas gift, Mikael!

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:48 AM
FuzzyTitus

I don't see the big deal. I would be pretty PO'd too if I didn't get a chance to play for my country. Especially if I was their 2nd choice. He isn't disrespecting his countrymen, he's getting mad at the Swedish selection group. Fair enough.

He has been fairly gritty for the Canucks, but he does have poor shot selection. Needs to pass a bit more, but given that this team lacks shooters, can't be a bad thing. He's on pace for about 20 goals, which is pretty good for what he brings, he isn't a detriment to the team but I would like to see him on the 3rd line.

It's too bad he isn't quicker, otherwise he would be great with Kesler and Raymond.

FuzzyTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:52 AM
PanniniClaus

Selections will be scrutinized for every country. I honestly cannot believe they went with both Modin and Forsberg. They could be down two forwards after game 1 which seems like too much of a risk to me. Take one if you must but this team is very creaky - going for age and experience may cost this team a medal.

Samuelsson is a borderline player and one I always liked. He will not be going to Sweden after his outburst although it was damn funny.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 10:56 AM
RusskiyHockey

Wow. Compare this with Kovalev, who cheered for Russia from the stands at one of the recent WC's even though he was not selected for team. Every player should be proud to even be considered for the national team, not to say of making the team or being a substitute.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiyHockey View Post
Wow. Compare this with Kovalev, who cheered for Russia from the stands at one of the recent WC's even though he was not selected for team. Every player should be proud to even be considered for the national team, not to say of making the team or being a substitute.
It wasn't that long ago that Russia had a hard time getting people to play for their country....

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:14 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I hate players that think they're entitled, no matter how funny it may be.
lol

Not to mention it's Mikael freakin' Samuelsson

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:20 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
I don't really get why he didn't make the team. This quote is outstanding.
Mattias Weinhandl is simply too good.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
HockeyJackass

Love It

I love this. Refreshing to see a player quote how he feels, instead of all the politically correct BS that we get fed everyday. Aren't we all adults here??

If I was him, I would be pissed as well.

Hopefully the mainstream media doesn't beat this into the ground.

ps. You can put me in the camp for thinking that he should be on the team.

HockeyJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Really? I am basing my opinion of him mainly off his play in Detroit, which will be backed up by anybody that watched him play as a Red Wing. He was inconsistent, and when he was bad, he was BRUTAL.

I'm being a little tough on him. He's not a useless player, but he doesn't have much on-ice intelligence. Shoots too quickly. He could be a decent playmaker if he didn't always want to shoot the puck. And he played little defense, hit nothing, and as we all know, loved sniping the logo on the chest of a goalie.

Maybe you are thinking about Ulf Samuelsson? Still, I don't see any reason to take him on that team. Just my opinion, honestly. They wanted toughness, and he's not really tough...
you are way off about Samuelsson. He is strong as an ox and a pain in the ass to play against. He probably has more grit than any forward named to team Sweden.

Last edited by Moore Money: 12-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:25 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert #24 View Post
Love the fact that he his 100% honest about the situation. And I can understand his frustrations. Though with that said, he must have realized that he was somewhere in the 12-15 region among forwards. Otherwise he is just kidding himself. If he truly belived that he was a sure thing for the Swedish roster, then ...
I'm sure he realized that. He just didnt expect Hornqvist and Modin to picked ahead of him...

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Refreshing honesty would be him saying "I deserved to be on the team, I'm good enough" not "Go **** yourselves"
He's mad. And he's expressing that.

I find some people act as though expressing anger is a faux pa. If he had spoken the usual statement "Uhh, yeah. It's disappointing to not make the team, I deserved... ...good enough, etc." It'd go in the pile of every other hopeful that didn't make it. Now we're sitting here talking about it, and Swedish Olympic officials are surely aware as well.

Well on him. If he was that mad, he's letting ppl know.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:29 AM
bigtimehockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
I remember the TSN interview when he got signed to Vancouver, when asked why he signed for them he said something like " I shoudn't lie, it was the money". This guy speaks his mind even when not appropriate, I like it since I'm like that aswell.
Actually, it's stupid to say things like that because most of us lready knew that. So him saying that is like shoving it in people's faces.

I don't mind the snub quote, though.

bigtimehockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Heat McManus

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

Maybe somebody can translate that into Swedish.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:45 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhl-Coaster View Post
I actually think you're way off here on the physical side of Samuelsson. One thing I've noticed about him since he joined the Canucks is his gritty side. He plays a game like a typical Canadian. He's far from the stereotypical European player IMO.
Yeah, if grittiness was the thing he would be on the team, he ghas even throwed his gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
The olympics means so much and getting picked after Modin is an insult.
And thank god this is BÅG:s last year as headcoach.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cuban View Post
Edler shouldn't have made the team. I'm glad he didn't.
No, production, hard slapshot and size is not needed, bring Oduya and Johansson who has don e nothing instead.

Quote:
The guy is what, 34 years old? I don't think he cares that much about not being able to join any further WC's. He was left out of the olympics, which is what was important for him.

Kudos to him for being honest, when he's obviously very disappointed and pissed at the Swedish staff. Picking Modin ahead of him is a joke.
This.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Trotzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
I also think that was the right call. What confuses me is Tallinder over Hjalmersson(sp?), and Liv over someone like Hedberg, maybe Enroth.
Tallinder has actually been consistent in his play this year, so has Hjalmarsson, though I'm not sure he was chosing between the two, age, experience and routine was probably the deciding factor if he did.

And hopefully, Liv will never have the pleasure of gearing up this olympic. That is, unless we want to lose on purpose, then it would be easier to put him in the net and have the forwards play their best, we'll still lose.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

Maybe somebody can translate that into Swedish.
he did..... "go **** yourself."

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 11:54 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
No, production, hard slapshot and size is not needed, bring Oduya and Johansson who has don e nothing instead.
Oduya can play defense and Johansson proved himself on Tre Kronor several times. Edler was never an option to be on the team. He was likely a long way down on the depthlist.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote