HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Mikael Samuelsson to Team Sweden: "They can go **** themselves"

Old
12-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Trotzig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Oduya can play defense and Johansson proved himself on Tre Kronor several times. Edler was never an option to be on the team. He was likely a long way down on the depthlist.
Yea, Oduya is a much more complete defenseman then Edler because he is, as opposed to Edler, good in all three zones.

Excluding Johansson we still have some d-mans who can put up some good slapshots.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:09 PM
espo*

Trouble in paridise, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post
he did..... "go **** yourself."

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Oduya can play defense and Johansson proved himself on Tre Kronor several times. Edler was never an option to be on the team. He was likely a long way down on the depthlist.
Edler's 21 points > Johansson's 33 points, especially considering games will be played on NHL ice in Vancouver.

Last edited by Moore Money: 12-28-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:15 PM
joe89

I like it! BÅG - Go **** yourself

edit: Since Hannula was a member of the 2006 team, and made a successful comeback he is now the obvious 13th forward choice

Last edited by joe89: 12-28-2009 at 12:32 PM.
joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Dogkota

A lot of attention is being paid to Modin's selection before Samuelsson, but I also fail to see why they'd have chosen Patric Hornqvist in his place either. Sameulsson is a Stanley Cup winner who has suited up for Tre Kronor on multiple occasions before and was a member of their gold-winning Olympic team. I think he has a right to be pissed off about being snubbed by a player that does not hold a significant advantage over him in any area and especially one that hasn't paid his dues internationally. Say what you will about Modin, but he was on that 2006 team too.

Hornqvist is a completely mysterious choice to me in that Sameulsson has the advantage in experience, size, checking, defensive play and the fact that he's putting up better numbers this year.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Nicklas Lidstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Olympic goalies breathe a sigh of relief. No more having to tighten your chest and upper abdomen muscles to absorb the inevitable thud of a Samuelsson shot perfectly aimed to the top corner...of the logo on the front of your jersey.

I'd like to see an accuracy competition. Ray Bourque blind-folded and with a right-handed stick against Mikael Samuelsson shooting special pucks that are laser-designated to hit the target.

Bourque would win...unless Samuelsson's foam targets were squarely in the middle of the net. If that was the case, Bourque would be ****ed.
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2006030236

That's all I remember about Samuelsson. Clutch playoff goals.

Nicklas Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Tomas W

Sammy has the right to be dissapointed (even though he never was a lock for the team), but to lash out like this is stupid and childish. He could have said something like "I am suprised and dissapointed" and everyone would have understand that he is angry, no need to resort to ugly language.

About Modin, that's a very questionable choice, I guess the Swedish coach wanted some weight and bodymass, because that is all Modin will bring to team Sweden, nothing else. But I am not sure that Modin got into the team on Samuelssons expence, more likely that was Weinhandl.

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
VanEric

He said it a reporter off camera and that reporter put it on twitter. It's not like he held a media scrum to announce his feelings.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He said it a reporter off camera and that reporter put it on twitter. It's not like he held a media scrum to announce his feelings.
Well telling a reporter off or on camera really doesn't matter...

But thanks for the info!

Tomas W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:45 PM
thefifthsedin*

modin in front of alexander steen, patrik berglund or niclas bergfors? ... modin is in solely on 4 year old merits

also alexander edler in front of magnus johansson as a last defenseman, thank you, solely for future purposes

thefifthsedin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Den

Classy.

Now, let's see what Kovalev has to say on a similar subject

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg Zeppelin View Post
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2006030236

That's all I remember about Samuelsson. Clutch playoff goals.
This is exactly how I feel about Samuelsson. He was a beast for us when Daniel Sedin went down, he worked hard and provided some much needed goals — he just seems to provide offense when it's needed the most and you want players like that on your team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Classy.

Now, let's see what Kovalev has to say on a similar subject
Why compare them? Kovalev doesn't deserve to be on the Russian national team, he's been mediocre at best this season. The Russian team is also stacked on offense. The Swedish team, on the other hand, is taking likes of Modin and Hornqvist, players that didn't outperform Samuelsson this season, or in the last 4 years.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:05 PM
HockeyJackass

Refreshing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Sammy has the right to be dissapointed (even though he never was a lock for the team), but to lash out like this is stupid and childish. He could have said something like "I am suprised and dissapointed" and everyone would have understand that he is angry, no need to resort to ugly language.
Sounds boring to me Tomas.

I prefer him using grown-up words and giving me a good laugh. I find all the politically correct BS that we get fed everyday to be useless and tiresome.

I'm not a big fan of criticizing a player for using the exact words that I would use in the same situation.

It's refreshing....and funny.

HockeyJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Them naming Forsberg (health), Alfredsson (health), and Modin (sucks) over him had to sting.

Hope he goes on an absolute tear and makes them look stupid.
.. and please don't forget Weinhandl and the fact that the moron picked only 12 forwards and 8 D.

I don't know if he would have been my pick either, but the reason to why he is pissed, isn't because he didn't make the team per se, but rather how the team was picked, and why, IMO.

.. and he's right, but they won't have to go and **** themselves... there will be several teams standing ready for that task when the tourney starts.

I'm ****ing pissed.

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 12-28-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: filter..
Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Why compare them?
An attitude of two "losers" can be compared alright.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:31 PM
espo*

haha.

We're ready that's for sure.

.. and he's right, but they won't have to go and **** themselves... there will be several teams standing ready for that task when the tourney starts.

I'm ****ing pissed.[/QUOTE]

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:34 PM
HNJB*

Samuelsson should be in there over Modin, Weinhandl, and Hornqvist.

He is CLUTCH, and that is huge in the olympics.

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesJokebook View Post
Samuelsson should be in there over Modin, Weinhandl, and Hornqvist.

He is CLUTCH, and that is huge in the olympics.
Weinhandl has been a pretty good player in every league he's played in, besides the NHL of course. Also, unlike Modin, he's actually having a good season this year (I know it's the KHL, but still).

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
The anger is fine, but the refusal to play as an injury sub screams whiny baby...

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 02:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I applaud him for doing this. Modin? Really Sweden? This isn't 2006.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
An attitude of two "losers" can be compared alright.
I'm confused. Kovalev didn't even expect to be on the roster so obviously he won't be too disappointed, whereas Samuelsson had every right to expect to be there and the fact that Modin is ahead of him, is nothing short of an insult. How do you compare the two? One is having a good season and by all accounts should be there, the other is having a mediocre season and clearly should not be there. Why compare them?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
The anger is fine, but the refusal to play as an injury sub screams whiny baby...
I think it screams "I've been disrespected."

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:15 PM
MattyMontana

Ok but there is a huge difference between showing that you are "disappointed" and being a complete moron about it.

Funny thing is that one of my bosses who happens to be a know it all canuck fan (note... there is a difference between a nucks fan and a know it all nucks fan much like leaf fans and know it all leaf fans ) Keeps swearing that it is team swedens loss and that they screwed up.

He says that Because these guys play in the SEL that they are secondary in talent to NHL players and NHL players should have the spots on the roster above the SEL players no matter what. He says that SEL and KHL players are there because nobody in the NHL wants them.... if it didn't piss me off so much to listen to him rant about this i would actually feel sorry for him and his (to me anyways) borderline racist rants about hockey.

Bottom line MS put himself ahead of the team when he said the comments above and teams do not want a player like that no matter what.

He tried to use the argument that say if Team Canada left Iggy off the roster canadians would freak out and iggy would be mad... i tried to tell him it is different because iggy has more class in a fingernail of his then MS has in his whole body.

I doubt you would ever see Iggy or for that matter ANY player for canada stand up and say Hockey Canada can go **** themselves for not picking me. They yes are upset and in some cases more deservedly so then MS has right to be. They would be supportive and be behind the roster no matter what because it is your country you are playing for... not just a % of the NHL fanbase... but the whole damn country.

There is always going to be someone left looking in from the outside...Especially in Canada where we could ice 2 teams some years. It matters more how you handle yourself.

Pride and Dignity go a long way too Mikael...That overpriced contract of yours will only go so far after all.

I'm not wrong in this thinking am i ?

MattyMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Yemack

He can go **** himself for all i care

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMontana View Post
Ok but there is a huge difference between showing that you are "disappointed" and being a complete moron about it

Bottom line MS put himself ahead of the team when he said the comments above and teams do not want a player like that no matter what.

There is always going to be someone left looking in from the outside...Especially in Canada where we could ice 2 teams some years. It matters more how you handle yourself.

Pride and Dignity go a long way too Mikael...That overpriced contract of yours will only go so far after all.

I'm not wrong in this thinking am i ?
I suppose you are quite right sir.

Sammy knows there will be some reactions, alot of them negatives, after this. Was it worth speaking your mind? For Sammy, maybe... and I'm sure whatever Sammy gets for this, he deserves it.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote