HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Mikael Samuelsson to Team Sweden: "They can go **** themselves"

Old
12-28-2009, 03:30 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

vCash: 500
He's heading for a career-high this season, and Modin is... not. I'd rather have someone like Omark or Nilsson who can come in and do something completely unexpected and maybe turn the game around.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm confused. Kovalev didn't even expect to be on the roster so obviously he won't be too disappointed, whereas Samuelsson had every right to expect to be there and the fact that Modin is ahead of him, is nothing short of an insult. How do you compare the two? One is having a good season and by all accounts should be there, the other is having a mediocre season and clearly should not be there. Why compare them?
Kovalev expected to be in the Quebec WCh, was turned down, and sucked it up and wished good luck to the team.

"They can go **** themselves" flies in the direction of the country as much as the coach.

Suck it up, say "I am disappointed, good luck to Team Sweden, I hope they bring back Gold" .

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:42 PM
paulica

I don't know, something tells me that Samuelsson just ruined his chances of making the Swedish team in any other future competition.

Good on you man!!! Glad you spoke your mind with such tact and thoughfulness!!!

paulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:47 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Kovalev expected to be in the Quebec WCh, was turned down, and sucked it up and wished good luck to the team.

"They can go **** themselves" flies in the direction of the country as much as the coach.

Suck it up, say "I am disappointed, good luck to Team Sweden, I hope they bring back Gold" .
Why is it better to spout insincere ******** rather than speak your mind?

The guy knows the consequences and wouldn't have said what he said if he couldn't handle being passed over as an injury sub-in.

It's not like he's a 19 year old who shows promise, he's was on their gold medal winning squad last year and got passed over for a couple players who he obviously thought he was better than.

Lying for the sake of lying is stupid and admonishing him for not saying exactly what you would say is just silly. The guy's a grown adult, I think he can determine for himself what he wants to say.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:47 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulica View Post
I don't know, something tells me that Samuelsson just ruined his chances of making the Swedish team in any other future competition.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, since we most likely are getting a new head coach to next season. And he's already won Olympics and WCH anyways, so it's a non-issue for him.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:49 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:

He's old. If he didn't get named to the Olympic team as a 32 year old, why would he get named to the Olympic team as a 36 year old?

He already has an Olympic gold and a Stanley Cup. How will he ever be able to live with himself?

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
mooseOAK*

Some people thought that they could disrespect Mikael Samuelsson by not including him in the most important international hockey event in 4 years and thought they could get away with it? Fools.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
avengedsevenfold

Good Job Sammy !

Show Some Guts That Sweden Will Need !

avengedsevenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:22 PM
icing

Modin obviously did not take a rooster spot from Samuelsson. Modin is not brought on the squad as a point producing player. Hornqvist and Weinhandl snubbed Samuelsson on a spot in the lineup. Weinhandl should be there, so that leaves Hornqvist vs Samuelsson.

With that said.........Modin!!!!!!!???????? WTF?

BÅG is looking to Modin to fill a certain role - Penalty killing, checking, weight, experience or just a big guy with a funny smile spreading warmth in the locker room. Who the **** knows. Why not Sjostrom?

Last edited by icing: 12-28-2009 at 04:27 PM.
icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:24 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Some people thought that they could disrespect Mikael Samuelsson by not including him in the most important international hockey event in 4 years and thought they could get away with it? Fools.
Well, Samuelsson is a member of the exclusive Triple Gold Club.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:32 PM
paulica

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
He's old. If he didn't get named to the Olympic team as a 32 year old, why would he get named to the Olympic team as a 36 year old?

He already has an Olympic gold and a Stanley Cup. How will he ever be able to live with himself?
Obviously he can't because he just went and swore at the Swedish brass and essentially at his country.

paulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Obviously he can't because he just went and swore at the Swedish brass and essentially at his country.
I'll take "melodramatic statements" for $200 Alex!

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RewBicks View Post
He's a versatile utility player who can put up points when he's hot and plays defensively responsible hockey when he's not. Great pick up IMO, and a reasonable price given what he brings (which includes veteran experience and defensive poise... shot selection is another story, but it seems to work for him). A very solid to great third liner who can very capably fill in on the top-two when needed. I think he could have and should have easily made the team over Modin or Hornqvist.
I agree that he should of made it over those two players. However I wonder what can they possibly bring that he cannot.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

People make way too big a deal out of the selections and omissions at the bottom end of the roster, but I guess that's to be expected because they are the only ones that people can legitimately gripe about. At the end of the day, Sweden isn't going to rise or fall because they took Fredrik Modin over Michael Samuelsson. Their fortunes are going to be determined by the play of Zetterberg, the Sedins, Backstrom, Lidstrom, and Lundqvist, i.e. the team's core players.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 05:03 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
I would say that a great portion of the country takes his side on this. Many people are upset about the roster, for different reasons. Injury prone, young players not included, old merits instead of hot players, X number of favourite players excluded.

Sweden really needs some luck with injuries, as by default the will come. If Sweden isn't in the final this year, then a lot of people will blame the coach for his failure (justified blame or not) to pick a better team.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Were there refs or linesmen between him and Team Sweden when he said this?

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 05:10 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMontana View Post
Ok but there is a huge difference between showing that you are "disappointed" and being a complete moron about it.

Funny thing is that one of my bosses who happens to be a know it all canuck fan (note... there is a difference between a nucks fan and a know it all nucks fan much like leaf fans and know it all leaf fans ) Keeps swearing that it is team swedens loss and that they screwed up.

He says that Because these guys play in the SEL that they are secondary in talent to NHL players and NHL players should have the spots on the roster above the SEL players no matter what. He says that SEL and KHL players are there because nobody in the NHL wants them.... if it didn't piss me off so much to listen to him rant about this i would actually feel sorry for him and his (to me anyways) borderline racist rants about hockey.

Bottom line MS put himself ahead of the team when he said the comments above and teams do not want a player like that no matter what.

He tried to use the argument that say if Team Canada left Iggy off the roster canadians would freak out and iggy would be mad... i tried to tell him it is different because iggy has more class in a fingernail of his then MS has in his whole body.

I doubt you would ever see Iggy or for that matter ANY player for canada stand up and say Hockey Canada can go **** themselves for not picking me. They yes are upset and in some cases more deservedly so then MS has right to be. They would be supportive and be behind the roster no matter what because it is your country you are playing for... not just a % of the NHL fanbase... but the whole damn country.

There is always going to be someone left looking in from the outside...Especially in Canada where we could ice 2 teams some years. It matters more how you handle yourself.

Pride and Dignity go a long way too Mikael...That overpriced contract of yours will only go so far after all.

I'm not wrong in this thinking am i ?
In Canada if a player gets left off it is because there are other good players likely ahead of him or at least on par. Modin cannot be counted on for anything , especially when you only select 12 forwards. Weinhandl bombed on small ice before and I would not expect any different this time around. Hornqvist is a guy i do not have a problem with over Samuelsson as they are comparable. i'd still take Samuelsson however.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 05:57 PM
EhOCanadaGo*

I think his quote was perfect. He didn't try to sugar coat it all like 95% of the pathetic loser players out there do. He told them exactly what he felt about it, and I also agree, him not being selected screams that there was maybe some $ paid from guys in Modo and other swedish leagues to have certain players in it rather than others.

Modin has ZERO right to be playing for Sweden. He's been useless at every level, and he's played 8 games this season. 1 point in those 8 games.

It's also a complete slap in the face to play for a team/country as a call up because someone gets hurt. Wannabes like Modin get on the starting roster, and Sammy gets a callup if needed???

Sweden isn't going anywhere in the Olympics this year with that roster. Absolutely pathetic. It's like they didn't even try to put together a solid team.

EhOCanadaGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhOCanadaGo View Post
I think his quote was perfect. He didn't try to sugar coat it all like 95% of the pathetic loser players out there do. He told them exactly what he felt about it, and I also agree, him not being selected screams that there was maybe some $ paid from guys in the KHL to have certain players in it rather than others.
The KHL? really?

No I think it's the Bush administration! Modin's selection is directly linked to 9/11. He's a terrorist, that's why they got him in!

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:02 PM
mikeo1

I had never even heard of Mikael Samuelsson before this, but looking at his stats I don't see what he has done to believe he deserves a spot on the olympic team.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:04 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
I had never even heard of Mikael Samuelsson before this, but looking at his stats I don't see what he has done to believe he deserves a spot on the olympic team.
Understandable, he hasn't played one game for the Leafs!

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:05 PM
EhOCanadaGo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
Sammy was one of the main reasons Detroit won the cup. He was also one of the main reasons they got to Game 7 last year. He's clutch. He got the goals when it counted. If that isn't reason enough to play in a much less strenuous oilympics, then I don't know what is.

He's gritty, he goes into the corners, great puck possession, and he's a leader. His shots obviously suck, as I think he has a 8-10% accuracy rating. But given the things he's strong at, I think they highly outweigh the likes of anything that useless Modin brings.

Old
12-28-2009, 06:06 PM
EhOCanadaGo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
The KHL? really?

No I think it's the Bush administration! Modin's selection is directly linked to 9/11. He's a terrorist, that's why they got him in!
I fixed it before your post, it was a simple mistake.

Old
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
OneSharpMarble

Childish, grow up and wish everyone good luck. It's a ****ing game, it's not like the dude ran over your dog or something.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2009, 06:13 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Them naming Forsberg (health), Alfredsson (health), and Modin (sucks) over him had to sting.

Hope he goes on an absolute tear and makes them look stupid.
hmm i would take Forsberg and Alfie over him any time

Alfie should be ready by then and Forsberg COULD get injured but so can everyone else

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote