HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Mikael Samuelsson to Team Sweden: "They can go **** themselves"

Old
12-30-2009, 04:07 AM
AntonRodin*

vCash: 500
To be honest, I don't get why you guys are saying he's acting childish. He's just speaking his thoughts, nothing wrong with that imo. Yes, he is a professional athlete, but come on, not like he's a repeat 'offender'. ie Sean Avery

AntonRodin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:14 AM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
He definitely comes across as a little whiny baby. If he were 18, I'd give him a mulligan, but he's 33? Heck, even Crosby acted more mature when left off the 2006 squad.

It's not about being PC or bland. It's about civility. Voicing ones concerns privately to parties involved is one thing. Publicly saying "go **** yourself" to the media is another.
He was politically correct when talking to swedish media the first time. After beeing asked the same question again (canadian media) after a game he let it rip. He let his emoitions show. So what?

He has feelings. He wanted to compete on the national team. He wasn't selected, of course he is dissapointed. This has nothing to do with being immature, he wants in - to compete.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Berglund1313

If you cant controll your emotions you should not be on a team sadly some get left out its only to accept it. ofcourse it can be frustraiting insted he should go out and show him he did wrong with playing like a god if he think he is a lock .

Sweden have manny players that should maybe have been there if they had to say them self i say husse is more a lock then him but he was not taken and he did not go and whine to the media.

So those who suport this act just a question is this the same thing you do when it dont go your way ? Now i dont ask 15 year olds its people who are 20+ .

Last edited by Berglund1313: 12-30-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Berglund1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berglund1313 View Post
So those who suport this act just a question is this the same thing you do when it dont go your way ? Now i dont ask 15 year olds its people who are 20+ .
I'm well over 30 and I still find his comment refreshing. I'm not very vocal when things doesn't go my way, but I prefer this over the political answers.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:45 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan View Post
To be honest, I don't get why you guys are saying he's acting childish. He's just speaking his thoughts, nothing wrong with that imo. Yes, he is a professional athlete, but come on, not like he's a repeat 'offender'. ie Sean Avery
He can say what he wants behind closed doors. But saying these things publicly is just stupid. Who cares that he is speaking his mind?

If you see a fat and ugly person walking down the street, do you stop them and tell them how fat and ugly they are - i mean that would be perfectly acceptable right? You would just be speaking your thoughts..

There is a time and place for these things..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 10:36 AM
RedLeader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan View Post
Actually, it's stupid to say things like that because most of us lready knew that. So him saying that is like shoving it in people's faces.

I don't mind the snub quote, though.
No it's stupid to lie if everyone else already knows the truth, I rather be blunt than fake.

RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 11:37 AM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
Heck, even Crosby acted more mature when left off the 2006 squad.
Crosby was a rookie when he was left off the 2006 team, and Canada had a roster already deep with established NHL stars. Samuelsson is a veteran who has won gold with Team Sweden, and he was left off for Mattias Weinhandl.

If a gold winning Canadian veteran was omitted from the roster for Jason Krog, his reaction might be more animated.

It's certainly an unusual decision by Team Sweden, and I can't say I'm entirely surprised that Samuelsson is reading it as a snub.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
Crosby was a rookie when he was left off the 2006 team, and Canada had a roster already deep with established NHL stars. Samuelsson is a veteran who has won gold with Team Sweden, and he was left off for Mattias Weinhandl.
I'm not so sure it was Weinhandl that bumped Samuelsson, I'm pretty sure Modin is the guy that did that. But if it were true I'd take Weinhandl over Samuelsson in any tournament any time and all of the time.

I think his reaction is childish and I don't think I remember a player reaction like this occurring in the past. Samuelsson should be glad he got to play the Olympics last time and shut his face.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkageNoKeri View Post
I'm not so sure it was Weinhandl that bumped Samuelsson, I'm pretty sure Modin is the guy that did that. But if it were true I'd take Weinhandl over Samuelsson in any tournament any time and all of the time.

I think his reaction is childish and I don't think I remember a player reaction like this occurring in the past. Samuelsson should be glad he got to play the Olympics last time and shut his face.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Codes

And to think Kiprusoff took more crap for his comment than Samuelsson's.

Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:21 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
He was politically correct when talking to swedish media the first time. After beeing asked the same question again (canadian media) after a game he let it rip. He let his emoitions show. So what?

He has feelings. He wanted to compete on the national team. He wasn't selected, of course he is dissapointed. This has nothing to do with being immature, he wants in - to compete.
There's politicians who don't win elections after extremely long campaigns. People who don't get promotions after working their tails off. Heck, even other sports stars who don't get picked for an award or team. And yet, the way that a good portion of these individuals deal with it is privately.

There is a giant difference between, "I'm very disappointed that I was left off the team, I thought I was very deserving of a selection" and "Go **** themselves." There's no lying involved in either scenario, but one is unprofessional.

It's entirely possible to be honest without burning bridges or sounding like a selfish brat.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

I was pretty surprised he actually came out and said what he was thinking.
You have to think it's something personal though. I mean really, Freddy Modin?
This is Samuelsson's last chance to play for an Olympic team. It probably stings ten times more because of that fact.

Szechwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
I was pretty surprised he actually came out and said what he was thinking.
You have to think it's something personal though. I mean really, Freddy Modin?
This is Samuelsson's last chance to play for an Olympic team. It probably stings ten times more because of that fact.

I think the fact that it's very un-swedish to leave out a player like this makes it sort of personal. As a member of the triple gold club and judging his level of play this season it's just an odd decision. But let's face it, he is not far and away better than any of the top9. Also not exactly the first guy you ask to play either PP or PK. I guess that made him the odd man out.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Were there refs or linesmen between him and Team Sweden when he said this?
Well played. My sentiments exactly. I took a special satisfaction in all this because I can't stand the guy. He's absolutely one of the most aggravating guys to watch in the league, and not in the "but I'd love to have him on my team" kind of way. He's a punk, much in the mold of Maltby just more talented. Start all kinds of *crap and be a little biatch and pretend-tough and yap and chirp and all that all while knowing you are or are going to be separated by officials momentarily and never once backing any of it up. **** him. Now I'll tell you how I really feel about him.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post
he did..... "go **** yourself."
you're such a team player.

Maybe he can take a page from Ryan Smyth:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Quote:
"Getting off to the start I had, it might have given me a chance, but there's so many great players," he said. "It was even an honor to be one of 46 here in Calgary here at the Olympic orientation camp (in August).

"Being a part of it in '02 and '06, I've had a tremendous experience in the past, and I've enjoyed every moment of it."
For those of you talking about rather hearing this than "disingenuous" comments. What the hell do you think a lot of guys are doing in the post-series hand-shake? Think they want to go through with it? It's called professionalism.

Last edited by Heat McManus: 12-30-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote