HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth, Horcoff, 1st rd pick for...

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Harley

vCash: 500
Smyth, Horcoff, 1st rd pick for...

Smyth, Horcoff and Edmonton's second first round pick in 2004 (from Philly) for Vincent Lecavalier.

Will exchange Horcoff for Steve Staios if necessary.

Oilers have a ton of depth on the wing and trading Smyth, while painful, won't sink the team. What they don't have, and haven't had since Gretzky left, is two top flight centres. Horcoff put up acceptable totals playing centre for the Oilers this year. (good kid, good attitude, not a great player)

Flame away.

Old
04-16-2004, 07:53 PM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley
Smyth, Horcoff and Edmonton's second first round pick in 2004 (from Philly) for Vincent Lecavalier.

Oilers have a ton of depth on the wing and trading Smyth, while painful, won't sink the team. What they don't have, and haven't had since Gretzky left, is two top flight centres. Horcoff put up acceptable totals playing centre for the Oilers this year. (good kid, good attitude, not a great player)

Flame away.
i cant see tampa doing that.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i wouldn't do that even if it was for vinny

Old
04-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Hawkalyzer

make sure PROPOSAL: is put before the content

dont think either team would do this tho

Old
04-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Lecavalier just isn't going to be on the market any time soon, and that offer isn't enough of an overpayment to make it worth Tampa Bay's while. Lecavalier is a point per game #1 center or more, whose rights will belong to his team for a long time yet. Players like that don't get traded.

Old
04-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
Lecavalier just isn't going to be on the market any time soon, and that offer isn't enough of an overpayment to make it worth Tampa Bay's while. Lecavalier is a point per game #1 center or more, whose rights will belong to his team for a long time yet. Players like that don't get traded.
... except he has been on the market before and he could fetch a lot in a trade, so I don't think it's fair to say they won't consider trading him at all.

Old
04-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

In the last 5 years Smyth has scored 294 points and LeCavalier has scored 299.
Not exactly a definitive comparison, and yes LeCavalier is younger but i'm just noting this for people thinking that package is an underpayment.
Horcoff scored 40 points this year, he makes $800,000, and would play very well in the fast and offensive minded Tampa system and that's a 1st rounder being thrown in for free.

LeCavalier has never been a PPG player in the NHL, not ever. However, I would love him on the Oilers, just not for that trade proposal.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Heater15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
But players like Gretzky and Bourque do?

HA

Old
04-17-2004, 12:49 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Lecavalier is a franchise player.....Edmonton would have to offer Hemsky and Brewer.

Old
04-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Lecavalier is a franchise player.....Edmonton would have to offer Hemsky and Brewer.
Now that's a big overpayment if I ever heard of one. Who's to say Hemsky doesn't become that franchise player, and that Brewer doesn't become a top 10 dman in the league within 3 years?

Old
04-17-2004, 01:20 AM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Now that's a big overpayment if I ever heard of one. Who's to say Hemsky doesn't become that franchise player, and that Brewer doesn't become a top 10 dman in the league within 3 years?

Brewer's already 25 and has shown nothing spectacular....he is a top 2 pairing guy,not a top d-man...

Hemsky is still young and in 2 seasons has hit 30 points both times...but in Lecavalier's 2nd year he already hit 67 points....it's somewhat close of the value between Vinny Lecavalier and Ales Hemsky but it would take someone of good but not great value...Eric Brewer.

Old
04-17-2004, 01:48 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Flavour
... except he has been on the market before and he could fetch a lot in a trade, so I don't think it's fair to say they won't consider trading him at all.
vinny was never on the market. its all media speculation. its time to let it go.
when your team is on the rise, young, talented. why would you trade one of your best young players? it just doesnt make sense. and for those two? i love smyth and horcoff isnt bad - but not for vinny. smyth can be eventually had in a salary dump anyway, pretty soon....and for a lot less then vinny. not to mention how could the oilers afford vinny for any length of time?

Last edited by bleedgreen: 04-17-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old
04-17-2004, 02:01 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Frankly I think the first package offered is better, depending on the draft pick.

Old
04-17-2004, 04:06 AM
vega007

why would edmonton do this, they wouldn't be able to afford to keep him

see: guerin and weight

Old
04-17-2004, 05:10 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
why would edmonton do this, they wouldn't be able to afford to keep him

see: guerin and weight
Of course they wouldn't do this, because Edmonton is the only team that has ever dumped salary, everyone knows this.

Old
04-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley

Flame away.
You could probably get Martin Havlat and Radek Bonk from Ottawa with that deal which would be far better than just Lecavalier. I think Havlat by himself is better than Lecavalier anyway.

Old
04-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Brewer's already 25 and has shown nothing spectacular....he is a top 2 pairing guy,not a top d-man...

Hemsky is still young and in 2 seasons has hit 30 points both times...but in Lecavalier's 2nd year he already hit 67 points....it's somewhat close of the value between Vinny Lecavalier and Ales Hemsky but it would take someone of good but not great value...Eric Brewer.
Brewer is only 25, still has 5 years to reach his prime, and it's not like he's a slouch right now. Trading him along with your most talented player(could perhaps be as good as Havlat one day)for a guy who isn't a point per game player is an overpayment.

Old
04-17-2004, 12:23 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Brewer is only 25, still has 5 years to reach his prime, and it's not like he's a slouch right now. Trading him along with your most talented player(could perhaps be as good as Havlat one day)for a guy who isn't a point per game player is an overpayment.

If you have not shown any flashes of being a premier d-man by 25,you probably aren't going to become one.Lecavalier also does more then score...he is a leader,throws the body and can fight when needed too.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:04 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
If you have not shown any flashes of being a premier d-man by 25,you probably aren't going to become one.Lecavalier also does more then score...he is a leader,throws the body and can fight when needed too.

Uh but Brewer HAS shown those flashes. The last half of this year he looked VERY solid.

Moot point as I don't think Brewer will be moved

Old
04-18-2004, 01:20 AM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Uh but Brewer HAS shown those flashes. The last half of this year he looked VERY solid.

Moot point as I don't think Brewer will be moved

I saw a few Edmonton games and didn't see any flashes of Brewer becoming a top 5 d-man.I'm almost confident that Brewer will be a steady top 2 pairing d-man but I was questioning Brewer showing flashes that he can become an elite d-man.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:09 PM
windowlicker

I would'nt do this if I were Edmonton.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:34 PM
Mizral

Neither team will do this.

Smyth is still worth a lot more than folks seem to think. How many guys play as hard as he does? Not many. He's also a lot more skilled than some seem to think.

That said, the Bolts aren't going to move a franchise centreman in Vincent Lecavalier. he hasn't truely broken out yet, but if you watch him for any amount of time, you see flashes of absolute greatness in him. He's not super-expensive, and he's very young - there should be no reason for the Bolts to move him.

As for Hemsky & Brewer for Lecavalier, again, I don't think this is enough either (I agree with Epsilon though, that the first deal was maybe better). That said, the Oilers shouldn't do it either. Hemsky's value is not as huge as it normally would be, and down the road you can expect his value to only rise. Brewer is running out of time, but still is a valuable top 4 defenseman.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:51 PM
SerbianEagle

This trade doesn't work for either team. What does Edmonton accomplish by resolving one hole in the lineup, while creating two other holes.

Also why would Tampa trade Lecavlier?

Old
04-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Brewer is running out of time, but still is a valuable top 4 defenseman.
I'll never understand how people can say this. Eric Brewer is 25 years old and is a top pairing d-man.. how is he running out of time? Most d-men don't reach their prime till they're 30 years or even older. While Brewer hasn't become the franchise player yet that some people expected, he still has a number of years to improve his play and become a true number one d-man.

Old
04-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
What about Chara? He was 25-26 years old before he started finally showing signs that he could be a premier d-man. His value was somewhat high mostly because of his size, he didn't show very much on Long Island. Adrian Aucoin started coming into his own when he was around 25ish years old. He's probably not a #1 d-man but he really progressed during the 1998-1999 season. Another Oiler, Steve Staios, didn't really start showing a lot as a defenceman till he joined up with the Oilers in 2001 - he was 27 years old.

All these players had a fairly similar past to Brewer and didn't become ace defenceman during their first couple years in the league. Brewer has shown "flashes" of being an elite defender in the league - he has also played very inconsistently at times. While I don't think he's ever going to put up Rob Blake type numbers from the back end, Brewer still has a lot of years left in his career to become an elite defenceman.

Closed Thread