HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Honest to God, this isnt cup winning material

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 10:58 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
Honest to God, this isnt cup winning material

Bash me if you want, I dont care

Hey, I'm pulling for them all the way of course
All my fingernails are off

But good gravy, is this the team that wins the cup?

it would be the most incredible cinderella story imaginable
just to win the first round seems so bizzarely incredible, since we look like a farm team half the time hanging on with every last breath to win with 1-0 leads.

is it just me that sees a noticable speed disadvantage here to the point where even creating a scoring chance is a marvelous achievement, let alone scoring a goal?

Old
04-18-2004, 11:04 PM
albathegreat*

IM very angry right now, that being said its because of the Leafs performance this series, Eddie cant do it all BUDS.

GO LEAFS GO to the second round

Old
04-18-2004, 11:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

so where's all the "you're no leaf fan" criticism ??

i'm not going to kiss their feet, nor should you.
this just downright sucks to see us badly outplayed,
with all the money they've spent, to get badly outskated by a young team with far less payroll and far more life in them than us.
are we supposed to feel sorry for the tired old injury prone maple leafs?

Old
04-18-2004, 11:15 PM
Buddah

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
Bash me if you want, I dont care

Hey, I'm pulling for them all the way of course
All my fingernails are off

it would be the most incredible cinderella story imaginable
just to win the first round seems so bizzarely incredible, since we look like a farm team half the time hanging on with every last breath to win with 1-0 leads.

is it just me that sees a noticable speed disadvantage here to the point where even creating a scoring chance is a marvelous achievement, let alone scoring a goal?

I'm sick and tired of your negative posts after a lose, and positve posts after a win. Your ankles must be SHATTERED after falling off and on that bandwagon. If Toronto would have won today, your post would be something like 'THIS IS CUP MATERIAL'.

Bah...

Old
04-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Buddah

I just read in another thread that you think it is Belfour's fault that we lost tonight. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Hmmm... I can't wait to see you parading through these forums on Tuesday night, if the Leafs happen to win, claiming that Toronto is cup material.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:23 PM
jacksheit

Send a message via ICQ to jacksheit Send a message via MSN to jacksheit
i'll back u up
:mad: The leafs havent played good hockey, they were out played by the SENS.
the only reason its going to a game 7 is cuz of Eddie

Old
04-18-2004, 11:25 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

no..no...
nowhere have i said its Belfours fault
without him its over in 4

just ask yourself, are you satisfied with what you're seeing?

Just a reminder that this was supposed to be the year to go all the way
all the big money spent, the top picks traded.

And for what, a hanging on by a prayer to try and win 1 round in the playoffs.
And they might.
They might even beat Tampa with the same gameplan, but its not likely now with all the rest Tampa gets.

After round 2 its lights out.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Mike1

Quote:
just to win the first round seems so bizzarely incredible
Thats why you win your division...... ..... You get a 6,7 or 8 seed. Whoever wins this series is just going to be an easy victory to a team that got an easy series in the first round.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:30 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

yep
winning the division would have been far better

they should have thought about that when they decided to take naps the final month against chicago and co.

i think its pretty damn fair to criticize this leaf team, and not just after losses.

why i'm only one of the few who has the guts in here to voice displeasure is disturbing.

we deserve a better team.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
How was this loss any different from Friday's win?

Pat set out a strategy based on the goal of slim survival and the players stuck with it.

I actually think we were good tonight.

Were we an offensive powerhouse? No. But we wern't trying to be. Not without our captain.

I thought that the whole team played well in general. You couldn't really single out anyone for not being up to it. The only difference between tonight and Friday was Roberts was just good, not super-human. We missed that "bull on speed - and pissed" forechecking tonight that he showed us Friday.

I thought Stajan looked alot more comfortable tonight and was very effective. If he was a tad bigger he'd be a force in this series.

Honestly, one fluke goal doesn't go in, Eddie gets his stick up just a half inch, we'd be going through and the Leafs would be praised for their veteran savvy and heart.

Instead..well...ya.

Anyways, I don't necessarily disagree with you. You're right. If we're gonna make a legitimate cup run we have to find our scoring touch. Gritty efforts like tonight's and Friday's are fine for when you're trying to see it out without your captain, but at some point, Quinn's gotta get these boys to turn on the jets.

However, as long as Sundin has been out, I've been quite happy with our play.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:36 PM
TheZodiac

We are down two top players and were still alive, anybody who didn't think this series would go 7 is in lala land. Leafs win tuesday.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZodiac
We are down two top players and were still alive, anybody who didn't think this series would go 7 is in lala land. Leafs win tuesday.
I agree. The calls that seemed to be coming out for this series to be over in five, six games...Naive.

These are two incredibly closely matched teams. This series was destined to go seven. Anyone with a bit of objectivity could see that.

However, even without Noal and Sundin, we really should be scoring more.

Thankfully so should the Sens.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:50 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

just one more thing

every bloody yr its the same thing:

an old banged up team that's lucky to go two rounds thx to marvellous goaltending.

i want to see a different approach next yr.
i want to see more than a couple of kids with speed playing 4th line
every year we are to beleive the kids are coming along..
they are just a yr. away

i thought that was last yr.
or was it the yr. before

i'll tell you where the youth movement is, playing generously on other teams.

pat quinn must go or be forced to play kids even if it isnt 'his team'

Old
04-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I do understand what you are saying PLF.. I said it since the series started that Toronto has not played a good game. The thing that pisses me off about this Toronto team is the way the Sens are bullying them it's pathetic. Where the hell has the feisty, gritty leaf team gone? It's plain to see that with out Belfour Toronto would have been gone in 4. Hell tonight was just another prime example of the way belfour stood on his head that game could have easly been a blow out. The only positive thing about this is that It has taken Ottawa a 7th and deciding game to try and put out Toronto who has yet to IMO come out and play like they want to win this series. We have seen the best of Ottawa but they have far from seen the best the Leafs have to offer this series. Here's hoping that the Leafs answer the bell and win the game 7 in Toronto on Tuesday.
Oh and on a side note IMO the only thing that should keep sundin out of that lineup is if a part of his body is hanging off. There is no way the leader of your team sits out for a decisive game 7. All the greats found a way to play though their ailments lets hope Mats finds one and gets us a win.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Buddah

Where has all our grit gone? Well.. Corson/Green/Yuskevich(sp)/and all other grinders we had when we played the Sens last are all gone.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:55 PM
RoadWarrior

If the leafs had a healthy Sundin, Nolan, Mogilny and Nieuwendyk they EASILY win this series. As it stands only Roberts, Leetch, McCabe and Belfour are close to being healthy and it just isn't good enough. YOU CANNOT win when you have an all-star team on the sidelines and your top center is a very decrepid Ron Francis. The leafs are good enough to win a cup but they will never be healthy enough to win a cup.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Stephen

I don't understand how we were trying to nurse that one goal lead for the whole game. You can't generate offense in OT when you're playing on your heels the whole time. We're neither young, fast, tenacious or hard working enough to shut a team down Minnesota style. I hated how the first option was to ice the puck and not to do anything with the puck.

The Leafs certainly didn't play like they deserve to advance. I sure hope they do, but I think Ottawa has been more deserving on the whole. I can't see us beating Montreal with this kind of crappy effort.

Eddie has been insane for us. Let's hope the team can win one for him, or at least he can fluke another out before our team wakes up next round.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:36 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
just to win the first round seems so bizzarely incredible
You seem to forget one thing. The Sens was one of the favourites to win the Cup
The whole NHL knew that this series would be the toughest for both teams. Thats why its so "bizzarely" incredible to win.

Old
04-19-2004, 06:40 AM
MatsSundin13

Send a message via MSN to MatsSundin13 Send a message via Yahoo to MatsSundin13
I dont like to reply to negative threads ...Ill reply when i see something more positive...ITS ONLY A LOSS!

Old
04-19-2004, 07:49 AM
musdy

you cant blame anyone

Last edited by musdy: 04-19-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old
04-19-2004, 07:52 AM
Takeo

Quote:
No.

Old
04-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Feenom

Well, I must say that at the beginning of the season I picked Ottawa to win the Cup. But when these 2 teams were matched together, I figured that the Sens would have to "slay the dragon" if they were going to win it all.

I think if Ottawa wins Game 7, they should win the Cup. If the Leafs win Game 7, I feel they will have no gas left in the tank, and will probably make a swift exit in Round 2.

This team doesn't have what it takes because of their injuries. Eddie is their best player and even he can't win 4 series by himself. Leafs need players to step up......fast!

Old
04-19-2004, 08:17 AM
thatcanadianguy23

Come on guys lets have some faith in the Leafs. They will win game 7 tomorrow. GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Last edited by thatcanadianguy23: 04-19-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old
04-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feenom
Well, I must say that at the beginning of the season I picked Ottawa to win the Cup. But when these 2 teams were matched together, I figured that the Sens would have to "slay the dragon" if they were going to win it all.

I think if Ottawa wins Game 7, they should win the Cup. If the Leafs win Game 7, I feel they will have no gas left in the tank, and will probably make a swift exit in Round 2.

This team doesn't have what it takes because of their injuries. Eddie is their best player and even he can't win 4 series by himself. Leafs need players to step up......fast!
Totally agreed. If Sundin comes back for game 7, we need him, Leetch, McCabe Mogilny, Roberts and Nieuwendyk to step up in a big way. We'll also need to get some unexpected contributions from the lesser lights too if this team has any hope of advancing past Ottawa and beyond.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:36 AM
ToMaLe

well for one thing the Leafs will win game 7.......but let me ask you one thing.......if we had Sundin and Nolan in our lineup and the Sens had Alfie and Hossa out do you think the Sens would be still playing?......i think we are playing pretty good for the injuries we have.........and not to mention Mogilny, Niewy and Tucker is not at 100% either...of course Belfour has been savin our ***** but either one of the 2 posts that we hit (although they hit one too) the series was over.......sure the Sens are outshooting us big time but like Cherry pointed out alot of them are from the outside and most of our shots are through the center in the slot.....game 5 in Toronto didnt have many scoring chances for the Sens and i expect the same if not even better for game 7........just Be Leaf.......you will wake up Wednesday mornin with a smile on your face......

Closed Thread