HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Top ten reasons for optimism next season.

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Top ten reasons for optimism next season.

1) We seem to have found a pp qb in MAB.

2) Marty Reasoner, if healthy, should help our pk greatly as well as bring up our ev str +/-.

3) We will be starting the regular season with far more defensive depth than in the last two seasons.

4) Ales is entering his third season, he should start living up to his potential.

5) We will have a #1 center in Nedved, or if not then it will likely be because we got someone else of or near that calibre.

6) MacT has been improving every season, he is on pace to be a decent coach this year.

7) The season is looking likely get underway with no major holdouts or tough signings from an Oilers pov.

8) We are not in a position to rely upon rookies at any position. If any rooks make it it will be because they've beaten a veteran player.

OK, I can only come up with 8, help me out here guys.

Old
04-18-2004, 10:15 PM
outKast*

1. We don't have a first line center.

2. We don't have a stud offensive defenseman in our top 4.

3. BG is a streaky "enforcer" who plays it by the "golden rule." roll eyes. so much for the intimidation factor.

4. The two goalies we have are bonafied back-ups. Any team would be lucky to have them if they had starters playing in front of them.

5. Smyth is due for an injury and it could very well be next season. The oil always go on a cold streak when he's gone and this is one of the first years that he's played so many games. Smyth is like an accident waiting to happen. Those cold streaks could cost the Oilers another playoff spot.

6. A tonne of question about Ales Hemsky. Will he finally read the bok i sent him at training camp last season? "The art of shooting" He's extremely streaky and he's also great trade bait. That's a plus!

7. Horcoff is our best pivot. We should celebrate. party everyone!!!

8. There's always sometihng wrong with York's wrist. Same old story this year? Let's be optimistic and say NO.

9. Craig MacTavish will coach again next year. Did he learn anything form last season and 2 seasons before? Let's hope so.

10. Kevin Lowe always waits till the team hits rock bottom and it's too late ebfore he reacts. Did he learn and improve his timing? I hope so.

11. Cory Cross plays for us. The same Cory Cross that has been dubbed the name "pilon" by all leaf fans.

12. MAB is so great to Oiler fans and now it's time to show the rest of the league what he can do. OI hope he can shut me up when i say he's nothing more than a fringe 5th defenseman ala Andy Delmore.
Let's be optimistic.

Old
04-18-2004, 10:26 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
1. There is no Heritage Classic next year

2. we don't have Salo

3. Ales sophomore slump should be over

4. Imagine a healthy Reasoner

5. Smyth showed signs of returning to form, hopefully he can carry that through

6. MacT seems to be improving slowly every year

7. Raffi for 20 goals

8. We CAN sign Nedved

9. We might see Mikhnov in Toronto

10. Marc Andre Bergeron

Old
04-18-2004, 10:42 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
OK, I can only come up with 8, help me out here guys.
9) We might be seeing Mikhnov in North America
10) Deslauriers and Brodziak will be in Toronto!

Not really optimism, but I'm excited about the opportunity to watch these guys play.

Old
04-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Obsessed

[QUOTE=outKast]1. We don't have a first line center.

Yet.. Its quite clear that the Oilers will either be in a position to sign a 1st line center or we probably wont have a team to worry about.

Yes we do. His name is Eric Brewer. He is a gem of a D-Man.

3. BG is a streaky "enforcer" who plays it by the "golden rule." roll eyes. so much for the intimidation factor.

You got me there. BG will be on a short leash. I think he could be available should the right deal come along.
4. The two goalies we have are bonafied back-ups. Any team would be lucky to have them if they had starters playing in front of them.

Have to agree with you here. In short stretchs these two guys are probably the best backups in the league. A #1 Goalie should be high on our wish list.
5. Smyth is due for an injury and it could very well be next season. The oil always go on a cold streak when he's gone and this is one of the first years that he's played so many games. Smyth is like an accident waiting to happen. Those cold streaks could cost the Oilers another playoff spot.

Please continue. Who else is going to have an injury so I wont pick them in next years pool... Smyth is NOT due for an injury?

6. A tonne of question about Ales Hemsky. Will he finally read the bok i sent him at training camp last season? "The art of shooting" He's extremely streaky and he's also great trade bait. That's a plus!

Trading Hemsky at this point would be cutting bait a couple years early. See Dan Cleary. Hemmer has rope. I think a full year with Nedved would do wonders for his growth.

Horc is no Dan Heatley but he does his job well. For a plumber you cant ask much more.

8. There's always sometihng wrong with York's wrist. Same old story this year? Let's be optimistic and say NO.

Simple. Bench York for every Colorado game. He should be fine.

9. Craig MacTavish will coach again next year. Did he learn anything form last season and 2 seasons before? Let's hope so.

MacTavish did a good job this year.

10. Kevin Lowe always waits till the team hits rock bottom and it's too late ebfore he reacts. Did he learn and improve his timing? I hope so.

BS. He dealt Roman Hamrlik and Jochen Hecht at the Draft(rock bottom?). Niinimaa,Carter and Salo at the deadline. Guerin well before the Deadline. He waited this year till the right deal came along. Which happened to be an amazing deal for Edmonton. We gave up very little for Nedved/Markkanen and those two players were paramount in our drive to the finish.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Lowetide

1. After a two year run of also rans (including Oates and Dopita and others. where have you gone Jan Benda?), Petr Nedved showed what having some offensive talent in the middle can mean to a team.

2. MA Bergeron has the look of a guy who can beat someone one on one when he needs to.

3. Ales Hemsky has the look of a guy who can beat someone one on one when he needs to.

4. Raffi Torres is worth the price of admission.

5. Eric Brewer can close a gap quicker than any Oiler dman in recent memory.

6. Marty Reasoner will be healthy.

7. Mike York will have 2 or three hot streaks.

8. Ryan Smyth will prove blood and guts counts for something one more time.

9. Mizral will bet me that Shawn Horcoff can't score 41 points, and lose.

10. Craig MacTavish will relax the 'backcheck like a bugger on the powerplay' rule and success will come.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:03 PM
zamboni

Quote:
1. There is no Heritage Classic next year

First thing that came into my mind when I read this thread's title.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:05 PM
aspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
1. We don't have a first line center.

11. Cory Cross plays for us. The same Cory Cross that has been dubbed the name "pilon" by all leaf fans.

12. MAB is so great to Oiler fans and now it's time to show the rest of the league what he can do. OI hope he can shut me up when i say he's nothing more than a fringe 5th defenseman ala Andy Delmore.
Let's be optimistic.
The wrist injury to York was frm last year. It will be all fine come training camp/

Old
04-18-2004, 11:06 PM
zamboni

Quote:
The oil always go on a cold streak when he's gone
Wrong. In 2001-02 when he broke his ankle they were in pretty good shape with Comrie stepping up more than anyone (and Carter going into Float Mode). Of course, MC is gone but then again we don't have Carter so maybe they cancel out

Quote:
It's not like we just acquired Cross...he's played a full season for us and we know what kind of Oiler he is. He's been mostly solid this year and far be it from me to call him a pilon.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:18 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
5. Eric Brewer can close a gap quicker than any Oiler dman in recent memory.
This is something that I think rarely gets discussed here, but is one of the traits that could help Brewer become an elite defenseman in his own mould.

Down the stretch, Brewer chased down both Marchant and Modano on their respective breakaway opportunities and not only caught up to them, but got ahead of them and was able to play the body on each them. Any other defenseman would had to dive and swat at the puck when caught behind either one of those players.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
7) The season is looking likely get underway with no major holdouts or tough signings from an Oilers pov.
I agree with pretty much everything you said accept for this. We actually have a few guys that I perceive to be fairly tough signings. First off, Jason Smith has a history of going to arbitration and I believe he is going to be tough to sign. It would be nice if he'd sign a contract similar to Moreau's but it's entirely possible he'll hold out/go the arbitration route again - will we be able to afford/want to pay him that number? Another tough signing is going to be Jani Rita. He isn't a key bolt in our roster yet but there have been rumours that a team from Finland has been courting him and he's definitely not going to be playing in Toronto next season.

I'm pretty sure Izzy is going to be back next year but does Lowe give him the 10% raise (or does he just have to qualify him at the same salary?) or does he try and renegotiate a cheaper, longer deal with incentives? I believe Brewer is also due for his 10% raise but I don't foresee any problems with that. In any event, we do have a lot of loose change to play around with in the off-season but Lowe will have some tough choices if he wants to bring back Nedved.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'm pretty sure Izzy is going to be back next year but does Lowe give him the 10% raise (or does he just have to qualify him at the same salary?) or does he try and renegotiate a cheaper, longer deal with incentives? I believe Brewer is also due for his 10% raise but I don't foresee any problems with that. In any event, we do have a lot of loose change to play around with in the off-season but Lowe will have some tough choices if he wants to bring back Nedved.
Isbister just has to be given the same salary as a qualifier as he is over the average salary in the nhl as far as I know. I actually don't think brewer will be that easy to sign, I anticipate him wanting some larger dollars, despite his not so great production.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky
Isbister just has to be given the same salary as a qualifier as he is over the average salary in the nhl as far as I know. I actually don't think brewer will be that easy to sign, I anticipate him wanting some larger dollars, despite his not so great production.
That's what I thought.. I'm hoping Lowe can work some magic and maybe convince Izzy to sign a 2-3 year 1.5 million contract with performance-laden incentives. While Brewer's stats don't look great on paper, there is definitely one number that works very largely in his favor: minutes player per game. Hopefully he takes his 10% and is happy with it.. I'd love to see him locked up in a looooong term deal.

Old
04-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

1. No Salo. It wasn't all his fault, but the difference in the way the team plays when they are confident in their netminder is startling.

2. Reasoner.

3. York, hopefully injury-free.

4. Some money to spend. Whether that be Nedved or someone else, it means we have should have something to look forward to.

5. Hemsky, hopefully THE season we've all been waiting for.

6. At least one of the eight teams that made the Western playoffs this year will not make it again next year.

7. A GM who is gaining experience and a coach who is getting better.

8. Brewer, Bergeron, Semenov, Lynch and Woywitka. Perhaps the core of our defence for years to come.

9. The great Jani Rita Project will finally be resolved, one way or another.

10. A new CBA.

Old
04-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Mr Sakich

1 towards the end of the year, two of our bes players were laraque and horcoff. Maybe their careers have turned the corner...

2 ulanov solidfying the top 6 for a full year

3 reasoner is our best face-off guy and he was sorely missed on our pk. With apologies to HotToddy. Marchant would not hae been missed last year if Reasoner is healthy. Losing both marchant and marty hurt us a lot.

4 Semenov is a year older

5 Imagine a defense corpse with Lynch or Woywitka instead of Fergusson

6 Hopefully Hemsky adds a few pounds. People forget how young he is. He is 3 years younger than the sedins. He is 5 years younger than Horcoff. 2 years younger than Torres. He will get better every year. In reality, his last rwo years should have been in the AHL dominating but he was too talented to let him play in the Q. How many guys have the oilers had where you could say this??

Last edited by Mr Sakich: 04-19-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old
04-19-2004, 08:40 AM
xauxi

I will be with everyone else on MacT is getting better each year. Good coach + capable players = Better team.

Old
04-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Schai

If CBA fails apart, it is good bye edmonton and hello portland. I am so sick and tired of this rebuilding process. For ten years, oilers have made zero progress.

Old
04-20-2004, 03:40 PM
kyle

Quote:
Not that I would give any creedence to a word you would type nor would I confuse anything you put to print with intelligence, but this just solidifies things.

You get your player analyses from Leaf fans.

You, my friend, are going places. :lol

Old
04-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Oilers Hockey

10. Petr Nedved - is a huge question so I didn't place him higher. But man did he ever do wonders for this team and wowed us!

9. We all know this is a team on the rise. After all we went through - setting this team back when Weight left, the Comrie fiasco - this team pulled through and showed us what they can do when their heart is into it!

7. No outdoors games! Unless another city copies us. In that case it'll be bad luck for them!

6. We can't be as unlucky as last year (injurie to both of our top centre) so that means.....

5. ....more offense! Better defence! Our team was the 4th most offensive-defence last year! Something like 45 goals came from our D?

4. Our goaltending is way better! I realize Conkkanen is unproven but even with unproven, average goaltending the Oilers would have made the playoffs!

3. The player say they did learn from their inconsistentcy!

2. We WILL make PLAYOFF next year, yeah baby!

1. New CBA will keep our team and tradition where it BELONGS! Here!

Old
04-20-2004, 07:42 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle
Not that I would give any creedence to a word you would type nor would I confuse anything you put to print with intelligence, but this just solidifies things.

You get your player analyses from Leaf fans.

You, my friend, are going places. :lol
i like you. will you be my friend?

Old
04-20-2004, 11:36 PM
kyle

Quote:
i like you. will you be my friend?
Probably. The only issue I see is the intelligence gap. I suppose to make up for it I could hit myself in the head with a 2x4 for a few hours. We'd probably be about even-steven by the end of it and any conversation would have more merit.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Mizral

Here's my top 10 reasons for optimism:

#1 - A healthy Mike York
#2 - A healthy Mike York
#3 - A healthy Mike York
#4 - A healthy Mike York
#4 - A healthy Mike York
#5 - A healthy Mike York
#6 - A healthy Mike York
#7 - A healthy Mike York
#8 - A healthy Mike York
#9 - A healthy Mike York
#10 - Conklin & Markkanen won't have a history to fall back on, so Lowe will be more gung ho about trading for a goaltender earlier on if they don't work out as planned.

Old
04-21-2004, 05:16 PM
zamboni

I like Mizral's list the best.

Some good points are made though. Mike York would have been the MVP of the Oilers this season if he was not injured. If he can continue his great play next season and stay healthy, I like our chances of improving. Also, Conklin/Markkanen tandem can get changed if needed mainly because of their salaries. Besides Salo's salary his history was a reason why Lowe traded him so late in the season. He gave Salo every opourtunity to play the way he did in the past.

Old
04-21-2004, 05:57 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
It's funny... the Oilers played some of their best hockey with mike york out of the lineup...

MVP usually is the guy the team relies on the most. Mike York wasn't that guy this year. I like the guy a lot and he is a good hockey player, but the Oilers were 9-4-3-4 without him in the lineup. He is not the be all and end all of the team.

Old
04-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
It's funny... the Oilers played some of their best hockey with mike york out of the lineup...

MVP usually is the guy the team relies on the most. Mike York wasn't that guy this year. I like the guy a lot and he is a good hockey player, but the Oilers were 9-4-3-4 without him in the lineup. He is not the be all and end all of the team.

If York hadn't been hurt, maybe they would have had a better record? Might sound crazy, but York helps everywhere on the ice and is an extremely smart hockey player. Love his game.

Closed Thread