HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hop on board the heart train, this season is far from done ...

Old
12-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Romans12_12

vCash: 500
Hop on board the heart train, this season is far from done ...

If you havent already boarded the OTHER TRAIN, the one filled with fair weathers, half hearts, and highlight reel fans then I encourage you to get on board the next train leaving the station. This train is called the "heart" train and its named after the players that fill out the Ottawa roster, and the dedicated fans that stick with them til the end.

Some would like to believe this team is only as good as to how far the top couple players can carry the team on their backs. But what most Sens fans know is that from top to bottom, this team is filled with too much heart to allow that to ever happen. With the absence of our lord Captain, and our dangling dynamo, the Senators (like any good fighting force) have shifted their strategy towards one that best suits the strengths of the remaining men. And in the absence of leadership, new leaders emerge. Opportunities for players who once spent those minutes on the bench now present themselves to magnificent results.

Shannon, Regin, Neil, Ruuttu, Fisher, Kovalev, Leclaire, Phillips, Kelly, Volchenkov ..... how could ANYONE think that this team is done? Shame on you.

For those still at the station, get on board. We just rolled over two playoff teams, and there are more in the headlights. CHOO CHOO!

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:40 AM
AlfieAllDay

best thread ever!

and you even left out Michalek on that list!

AlfieAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdB View Post
best thread ever!

and you even left out Michalek on that list!
Im on this train, but michalek needs to step it up, he hasnt been that good lately minus tonight.

Lehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Sens16

I'm in with the way there are playing and 2 0 without Alfie and Spezz who knows maybe we can pull it off.

Sens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:52 AM
inthewings

I expected this team to lose a lot of games after Alfredsson went down. I still do, but have been very impressed with the effort over the past 2 games. Maybe they can keep it at .500 until he gets back. That would be a resounding success IMO and set us up for a nice little run for the playoffs.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
inthewings

And your attitude towards those who see the roster and wonder aloud how the team is going to win is insulting. Being a fan isn't about eternal optimism, its about tuning in every game and hoping for the best. Our roster without Spezza and Alfredsson is mediocre at best and should not be expected to compete - I'm not a bad fan for saying that, just an experienced one.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:56 AM
HSF

if we can play .500 hockey till atleast Alfie comes back i will be impressed

I thought we would have trouble scoring but a lot of guys are stepping up.

GO SENS GO!

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:56 AM
SENSfreak_03

I was unsure on how we would do, it coulda gone either way. obviously there's still lots of time before Alfie and Spez return, so it could still go either way.

however, the last 2 wins are very encouraging.

All they need to do is hold on to where they are, and then getting Alfie and Spez back will be like 2 deadline acquisitions.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:58 AM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Leclaire playing amazing tonight, I've never seen him make so many big saves in one game.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:24 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Just came in to say Neil and Regin have been great lately. As a fan of both, it's been great to watch. Regin is looking the best he has all year, he was great at the beginning but then tailed off when injuries came. Neil has been on a tear.

Also, I missed part of the second but when I put the game back on I saw Kelly seemingly challenge Spacek to a fight. It was after Spacek tripped Cheechoo and maybe someone can confirm, but it looked like Kelly was sticking up for him. Nice to see him taking the A to heart.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 02:25 AM
M4TR1X
@MajorLeeRix

An amazing thread and something the Sens board needed desperately. Finally some positive feed and attitude. You can count me to being on board. I love this.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Rooverick*

Kovalev is stepping up huge so far. Whatever line they put him on is instantly generating scoring chances. I'd just like to see him continue once Alfie and Spezz return.

This team's work ethic under Clouston is truly outstanding and is a testament to their character and his excellent coaching.

Rooverick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:32 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor 54 View Post
Leclaire playing amazing tonight, I've never seen him make so many big saves in one game.
Definitely a huge game for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
Just came in to say Neil and Regin have been great lately. As a fan of both, it's been great to watch. Regin is looking the best he has all year, he was great at the beginning but then tailed off when injuries came.
Regins gone 7-1-5-6 since Spezza went out. I dont quite think he has played that well, but he has been good.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:58 AM
SelleckStache

vCash: 5000
Leclaire: please keep playing like that!

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Indrew

Exactly.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:13 AM
QuattroFTW

im down with this train

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooverick View Post
Kovalev is stepping up huge so far. Whatever line they put him on is instantly generating scoring chances. I'd just like to see him continue once Alfie and Spezz return.

This team's work ethic under Clouston is truly outstanding and is a testament to their character and his excellent coaching.
Work ethic I will agree with, excellent coaching and 'character' not so much.
We won last night because we got power plays and they didn't. Despite Leclaire again putting his team behind the 8-ball early, the team bailed him out; he should thank them for that. We are winning overall because the players know the jig is up, that Murray isn't going to fire another coach to appease these guys.

Character is overstated anyway. In Ottawa it's Murrayspeak for "average guy, likely from Ottawa, that won't ask for a lot of money." You have to wonder how much charater is an issue when championship teams have guys like Roy, Babe Ruth, Chelios...and so many other non-angels.

This team is beating teams it should be beating and is struggling to decent against the much better teams (San Jose, Boston, Penguins, Devils) overall.

We're average. The real test will come in the playoffs, where we'll see if this team pulls an El Foldo in 4 games or continues to do its job and reaches the Conference Finals, a bare minimum after the appalling performances of the past few years.

The team is working well, playing well, doing well. It's still only the qualifying round. Let's get it done in the real season.

Senators Growing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:21 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
We won last night because we got power plays and they didn't. Despite Leclaire again putting his team behind the 8-ball early, the team bailed him out; he should thank them for that. We are winning overall because the players know the jig is up, that Murray isn't going to fire another coach to appease these guys.

Character is overstated anyway. In Ottawa it's Murrayspeak for "average guy, likely from Ottawa, that won't ask for a lot of money." You have to wonder how much charater is an issue when championship teams have guys like Roy, Babe Ruth, Chelios...and so many other non-angels.

This team is beating teams it should be beating and is struggling to decent against the much better teams (San Jose, Boston, Penguins, Devils) overall.

We're average. The real test will come in the playoffs, where we'll see if this team pulls an El Foldo in 4 games or continues to do its job and reaches the Conference Finals, a bare minimum after the appalling performances of the past few years.

The team is working well, playing well, doing well. It's still only the qualifying round. Let's get it done in the real season.
I don't think anyone should really be expecting at the very least for them to make the conference finals.Before this season started many picked ottawa to be a 11th/12th place team.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:26 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Despite Leclaire again putting his team behind the 8-ball early, the team bailed him out; he should thank them for that.
We were obviously watching a different game then. Because for much of the first, the Habs diced up our defense corps and they hung Leclaire out to dry. It should have been 5 or 6 nothing for the Habs. Not to mention that one of the goals that was scored was after 30 seconds of sustained pressure and about 3-4 shots in close. No goalie is expected to stop that. He got first star for a reason.

Quote:

The qualifying round is 82 games long and pretty indicative of what's going to happen in the postseason. If we don't finish Top-2 in the conference, then we shouldn't be expected to make the conference finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I don't think anyone should really be expecting at the very least for them to make the conference finals.Before this season started many picked ottawa to be a 11th/12th place team.
Urgh... those same people also made micro predictions involving our scorers and goalies saying that we'd get average goaltending and a Top-10 offense.

Average goaltending and Top-10 offense does not equal 11-12th place in the conference (22-24 in the NHL)... it equals 11-12th place in the NHL.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
enviro61

Quote:

Leclaire was the difference maker last night, no if's and's or but's about it. When the vast majority of the observers can see this from both the Habs and Sens forums, you have to ask yourself if it's time to place your biased perception aside for sake of losing credibility as a useful poster.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
And your attitude towards those who see the roster and wonder aloud how the team is going to win is insulting. Being a fan isn't about eternal optimism, its about tuning in every game and hoping for the best. Our roster without Spezza and Alfredsson is mediocre at best and should not be expected to compete - I'm not a bad fan for saying that, just an experienced one.
Doesn't mean that you're not wrong on certain things. Look your avatar for example...

Last night, Sens played without Spezza, Alfredsson, Foligno and Karlsson. That's a lot of skill right there.

It's like the Habs without Plekanec, Cammalleri, Gionta and Bergeron.

Quote:

OMG. Here you go again. Am i the only one around here who thinks 80% of what you wrote is pure non-sense?

Like i've explained to you in the opposite thread (maybe you should stick there), the team went through a decline phase. That's why we had to chose between retooling or rebuilding. We chose to retool and keep the core (Alfie, Spezza, Fisher, Phillips, Volchenkov, Kelly, Neil minus Heatley)

The team is actually 20-15-4 which is a very decent record considering all the adversity they have faced so far (injuries, mediocre goaltending, problems with refs...). So, for now at least, they look to be on the rise again. Expecting them to reach the ECF already is pure insanity. If they do it, it will just be a huge bonus for Sens fans.

I'd be happy if we make the playoffs. Every round win would be a huge bonus after that.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 12-29-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:57 AM
TheHMan

Regin is pretty underrated for what he can deliver. I'm surprised that Clouston didn't give him more responsibilities early on, and he got buried on the 3rd/4th line.

While losing Spezza and Alfredsson for a while does hurt for sure, I don't think it compares to losing a #1 goalie for an extended period of time. Forwards are easier to replace in these sorts of situations and we're lucky enough to have Regin, Folingo, Shannon and Michalek to mix and match with Fisher, Kovalev, and Neil. You still have some semblance of a 1st and 2nd line with those pieces, and as long as the team plays a sound game you can win on most nights.

I think the priority for this group is playing structured, and working on getting the PP going a bit more. If we're going to win tight games, we gotta convert when the chances come up.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Jackie Treehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Leclaire was the difference maker last night, no if's and's or but's about it. When the vast majority of the observers can see this from both the Habs and Sens forums, you have to ask yourself if it's time to place your biased perception aside for sake of losing credibility as a useful poster.
dan's ship sailed a long time ago.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
If this team can maintain a playoff spot until healthy, they will be very dangerous.

Eventually the penalty calls will even. When we start getting more PPs and have less PKs, that will be a HUGE boost. Even if we dont score on our PPs, its still 2 easy minutes for us, and 2 hard minutes for the other team. The opposite is also true. We haven't had any favours outside of last night in that department, and when we start getting more of them, it will help this team quite a bit.

On top of that, we have been plagued with injuries. Despite missing pretty much everyone that matters at some point (most notably our #1 goalie for a long stretch), this team has maintained a middle of the pack playoff spot. Imagine what they can do when healthy?

IF they go into the playoffs healthy, this team could surprise a lot of people. Especially if Leclaire is hot. Thats a fairly big if with how injuries have been so far, but this season just has cinderella written all over it for me.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 11:29 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Regin and Leclaire are both playing superb. I'm really liking Regin and Kovalev on a line. I think we should go back to Fisher - Regin - Kovalev as our line one.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote