HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group A • Dec. 29 • Canada 8, Slovakia 2

View Poll Results: Canada wins by 5 (or more)?
Yes 70 64.22%
No 39 35.78%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Canada needs to put Bourque and Kozun with a centre that can skate to create more effective scoring. Sure Cormier scored against Latvia but he slows down the line and won't score much at higher levels. Henrique who got put as the 13th forward for being injured or Adam would be better options. If Schenn can't get going they should make a swap as well. Either way Kadri, Schenn, Henrique should make up the two top 6 centres, if Schenn can't produce slot him down.
I wonder if they are starting to regret cutting Seguin. I don't think anyone envisioned a Team Canada with Nazem Kadri as it's only offensive center. Henrique (and Nemisz for that matter) just looks like a product of Taylor Hall, I don't think moving him up will make any positive effect on this team. I think the team is working right now so they won't change anything but we haven't really had a challenge yet either.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Dgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
I was way moe impressed by Illo and Viedensky than Tatar so far, especially Illo.
Really? I hope Tatar and Panik pick it up during the tournament, they sure were fun to watch last year. Probably by two favourite players to watch outside of Team Canada last year.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:15 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I wonder if they are starting to regret cutting Seguin. I don't think anyone envisioned a Team Canada with Nazem Kadri as it's only offensive center. Henrique (and Nemisz for that matter) just looks like a product of Taylor Hall, I don't think moving him up will make any positive effect on this team. I think the team is working right now so they won't change anything but we haven't really had a challenge yet either.
I agree, Henrique and Nemisz have done nothing since being separated from Hall. Even Hall himself has been a shadow of himself. Those three need to be reunited.

I also think putting Kadri and Della Rovere together would be an explosive combination. Add a goal scorer like Adam or another physical guy like Caron and you'd have a pretty potent line of grit and skill.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Novak Djokovic
HOSSA! HOSSA! HOSSA!

Slovakia is a tough team. They will not roll over very easily. They were leading 2-0 against US at one point and then totally melted.

Illo was very impressive. Him, and the Tatar line with Panik should be paid most attention to.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Novak Djokovic
HOSSA! HOSSA! HOSSA!

Quote:
Cody Hodgson getting injured totally changed the team. Him and Eberle together would've been a deadly combo, and B. Schenn can go to the 4th line where he belongs.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:32 PM
JL17

Kadri will continue to be tested as this tourney goes on physically. He's willing to give but not receive. Stuff like what he did against the Swiss can't happen anymore. He needs to either suck it up and take it or take a number and get the player back later or just forget about it. He's bordering on SDR from last year in the needless penalty department. Especially the selfish kind like the hit from behind.

I had a feeling Henrique and Nemisz wouldn't be the best choice for this team. They either play with Hall or don't play on the team. Henrique is invisible and Nemisz is trying but not accomplishing much out there. Seguin as the 13th forward would make sense right now plus his speed would be great. I hope they prove me wrong in the end but right now Canada has essentially 11 productive useful forwards.

Martin Jones is getting the start tonight against a stiffer opponent.

Slovaks like to hit and hit often they don't seem to be afraid. Another test for Canada considering it's back to back nights.

Last edited by JL17: 12-29-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old
12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Canada wins 5-1

Old
12-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Washington Capitals

7-1 Canada.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:46 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
I think Canada will win 8-1. Ever since the Slovaks tied Canada 0-0 in 99' Canada has had an easy time with them. This is a pretty good Slovak team though so who knows.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:47 PM
BlackAces*

I am just glad the disgusting green jersey will never disgrace our team, ever again,

Old
12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
With the way they have been dominating, that has yet to be proven true. It could in the end, but I see no reason as to why they would be worried about any selection right now.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:55 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
6-1 with Schenn and Henrique switching lines by the end of the game.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:56 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
De Haan's out tonight according to TSN's Facebook page, still feeling the effects of the hit from behind yesterday.

Old
12-29-2009, 01:56 PM
HFBoards Sponsor

6-0 Canada

Old
12-29-2009, 01:57 PM
BlackAces*

I am surprised that NK's throat slash gesture hasn't resulted in any sort of discipline. Or did I miss it?

Old
12-29-2009, 01:57 PM
benusmc

I hope Tatar shows up this time, I'm a Wings fan and people talk him up as if he was a monster steal and could be playing now. But this has been my 1st look and he hasn't stood out.

Old
12-29-2009, 02:01 PM
zackisonfire*

The Tatar we're seeing right now is not the same one that we've been watching flourish in Grand Rapids for the past few months. If he doesn't pick it up I don't see Slovakia accomplishing much with arguably their best forward playing sub-par(Panik being the other). Perhaps they pressure/expectations are getting to him this time around.

Having a poor WJC could really hurt his development.

Old
12-29-2009, 02:01 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
Really? I hope Tatar and Panik pick it up during the tournament, they sure were fun to watch last year. Probably by two favourite players to watch outside of Team Canada last year.
Panik has been pretty great so far actually, 100% better than last year. Tatar is trying to put a one man show a little bit too hard for my liking. But it all has to do with the fact that both Illo and Vidensky have been playing really well. Especially Illo, while I was expecting him to be good, but I didnīt know heīd be this good. Maybe it has to do with the fact that this is the first time I see him play compared to the others.

Old
12-29-2009, 02:03 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
De Haan's out tonight according to TSN's Facebook page, still feeling the effects of the hit from behind yesterday.
Saw that as well.

Looks like Desjardins will now be forced to play Cowen.

About time I say!

Old
12-29-2009, 02:10 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdrum View Post
The Tatar we're seeing right now is not the same one that we've been watching flourish in Grand Rapids for the past few months. If he doesn't pick it up I don't see Slovakia accomplishing much with arguably their best forward playing sub-par(Panik being the other). Perhaps they pressure/expectations are getting to him this time around.

Having a poor WJC could really hurt his development.
I wouldnīt really say he is playing sub-par. I am kinda disappointed by him, but not because he has been playing bad or anything. Itīs just that he was talking before the tourney about how different it is and how last year it was an opportunity to show himself and how this year is about helping the team, but so far I have the impression that he actually is trying to showcase himself, often not noticing that Panik and Viedensky are actually on the ice too. Itīs just weird, because I remember him as a team player.

Old
12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
zackisonfire*

Quote:
I wouldnīt really say he is playing sub-par. I am kinda disappointed by him, but not because he has been playing bad or anything. Itīs just that he was talking before the tourney about how different it is and how last year it was an opportunity to show himself and how this year is about helping the team, but so far I have the impression that he actually is trying to showcase himself, often not noticing that Panik and Viedensky are actually on the ice too. Itīs just weird, because I remember him as a team player.
Which is very odd because he has not played like that at all in GR.

Old
12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I've seen it for a long time that players coming back from the pro's tend to think they are a one man show and are better than the "juniors" they are playing for and can beat the opposing "junior" defencmen by themselves.
Nazim Kadri is a prime example this year, it took him about 2 months to shake that attitude.

Old
12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
wings5

How about this:

Hall-Henrique-Kadri
McMillan-Adam-Eberle
Bourque-Schenn-Nemisz
DellaRovere-Cormier-Kozun?
Caron

Anyone else have ideas? Its really hard to come up with bottom 6 and extra.

Old
12-29-2009, 02:48 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
How about this:

Hall-Henrique-Kadri
McMillan-Adam-Eberle
Bourque-Schenn-Nemisz
DellaRovere-Cormier-Kozun?
Caron

Anyone else have ideas? Its really hard to come up with bottom 6 and extra.
Switch Henrique with Caron and move Kadri to the middle.

McMillan-Schenn-Eberle aren't being separated yet.

Bourque-Adam-Nemisz.

Old
12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
slovakfan*

I see... death... oh no
I see >10:0

Closed Thread