HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathieu Schneider on waivers

Old
01-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Connecticut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Mike Keane will keep him in line.
Didn't he and Keane play together in Montreal waaay back when? Could actually be a reasonable thing to hope for.

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Once again the Manitoba Moose have more Stanley Cup Rings than the Vancouver Canucks (4 to 3).

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut View Post
Didn't he and Keane play together in Montreal waaay back when? Could actually be a reasonable thing to hope for.
Yup - that's what I was inferring. Both of them played for the Habs for a number of seasons and are about the same age - that is, I hope they got along way back then.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I still don't think it's out of the question to see him in a Canucks uniform at some point before the season is over.
I cannot see anyway Schneider comes back this season after what Vigneault and Gilman have said.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
jabberhockey

I'm surprised Gillis hasn't loaned Schneider to the Texas Stars considering they just lost Lukowich and the Moose are already at the AHL limit for veterans.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Spy A Sedin Duck View Post
I'm surprised Gillis hasn't loaned Schneider to the Texas Stars considering they just lost Lukowich and the Moose are already at the AHL limit for veterans.
Manitoba could use some scoring punch.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:04 PM
jabberhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Manitoba could use some scoring punch.
True, but something has to give. Schneider, Keane, Baumgartner, Nycholat, Murray, and Pettinger are all listed on the Moose roster right now. That is six veterans right there and aren't AHL teams only allowed to dress five? I wonder who the odd man out is going to be?

Old
01-04-2010, 05:16 PM
fergo
Are we stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Spy A Sedin Duck View Post
True, but something has to give. Schneider, Keane, Baumgartner, Nycholat, Murray, and Pettinger are all listed on the Moose roster right now. That is six veterans right there and aren't AHL teams only allowed to dress five? I wonder who the odd man out is going to be?
Well, both Baumgartner and Pettinger are injured, but should be back in the lineup as soon as Friday's game against the Hershey Bears.

They'll probably go with a rotation for the time being. There's four games in five days next week, then there's a three-games-in-three-days stretch at the end of January, so they should be able to get away with doing a rotation through that period. Having said that, it's hard to keep someone who's used to playing every game possible happy, when they're sitting out certain games as a healthy scratch for the simple reason that they're too experienced, not due to how they're playing.

fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergo View Post
Well, both Baumgartner and Pettinger are injured, but should be back in the lineup as soon as Friday's game against the Hershey Bears.
How well has Baumgartner played for the Moose? I seem to recall he was pretty medicore for them during the post-season last year (and possibly the regular season as well).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
fergo
Are we stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
How well has Baumgartner played for the Moose? I seem to recall he was pretty medicore for them during the post-season last year (and possibly the regular season as well).
Yeah, watching Baumgartner (and McIver) during the Calder Cup Final last year was eye-opening for all the wrong reasons. Not their greatest moment, that's for sure.

He's doing okay, but it's safe to say he's lost a step over the past season or two. He's still able to log lots of minutes (up to 30 minutes earlier in the season), but in a perfect world, he'd probably be a second pairing defenceman who gets some time on the PP and even PK.

Unfortunately, with the lack of depth on the Moose blue line early on, he was forced to literally play half the game because the other d-men (aside from perhaps Michael Funk) either weren't good enough at the time or were too green.

Depth isn't necessarily an issue now with Lawrence Nycholat back from injury, Brian Salcido (Ducks prospect) finally getting it into gear, and Mathieu Schneider getting added to the Moose lineup, so maybe he'll be given less minutes for the time being. We'll see what happens.

fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:53 PM
jabberhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergo View Post

They'll probably go with a rotation for the time being. There's four games in five days next week, then there's a three-games-in-three-days stretch at the end of January, so they should be able to get away with doing a rotation through that period. Having said that, it's hard to keep someone who's used to playing every game possible happy, when they're sitting out certain games as a healthy scratch for the simple reason that they're too experienced, not due to how they're playing.
Thanks for the info. It's too bad that one of the five has to sit out even if they're all playing well, but there's no getting around it I guess.