HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Booth return pushed back (UPDATED)

Old
12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 500
Booth return pushed back (UPDATED)

Quote:
Coach Pete DeBoer said after this morning's practice that winger David Booth (concussion) won't be returning around mid-January as hoped and that end of the month is a more realistic goal.

Pete said Booth hasn't had any setbacks and continues to make progress, but it will be a couple of more weeks before he can even start practicing with the team.

"I was hoping mid-January. As that's getting closer, I think that might have been a little optimistic," Pete said. "We're hoping now that he's practicing with the team mid-January. And being out as long as he has [since Oct. 24], he's going to need at least a couple of weeks of practice before we can get him in a game. [Booth's return date] is a moving target."

***In other injury news, defenseman Ville Koistinen underwent season-ending knee surgery today. According to the team, all went well and there were no complications.

***Rostislav Olesz was with Cory Stillman and Steven Reinprecht yesterday, but Radek Dvorak was skating with Stillman and Reinprecht this morning and Pete said he's going to go with Dvorak on that line Thursday against the Canadiens.

"The rational there is a little bit of speed with those two guys," Pete said. "[Stillman and Reinprecht] play more of a cerebral game and they need some legs on that line. And DVo has that. He'll get in on the forecheck, he'll cause some turnovers and let those guys get the puck."

Also, Gregory Campbell has been moved down to the fourth line, where he centered Nick Tarnasky and Victor Oreskovich today. Dominic Moore, Kamil Kreps and Olesz were the other combo.

***The Panthers practiced shootouts near the end of the practice, and none of the shooters had much success against goalies Tomas Vokoun and Scott Clemmensen except, ironically, a couple of defensemen -- Jason Garrison and Jordan Leopold. Garrison scored three shootout goals. Leopold netted a pair.

"It's a little scary when those are your finalists in the team shootout," Pete joked. "I'm sure I'll be hearing the whispers in the dressing room that they should be getting an opportunity when we get the chance, but they're still a little ways down my list when we get into that situation."
It's no surprise really that he won't be back till the end of January. I think we were all getting a little hopeful thinking that he would be back in the middle of the month. At least Stillman is back now.

Last edited by gizmo12688: 01-02-2010 at 02:43 PM.
gizmo12688 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 12:54 PM
sinDer

wow, big surprise

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Biggzy*

Kinda off topic, but are there any updates on Kulikov? When is he supposed to return?

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Yeah, no real huge surprise there. I guess they just want to make sure he's 100% ready to play so that another injury doesn't happen.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Kinda off topic, but are there any updates on Kulikov? When is he supposed to return?
Either Gorten or GR reported he should be back around mid January.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 04:25 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

This is OK. It's a push back as opposed to a set back. I highly Doubt Booth makes the Olympic team for the US, but I hope he does and plays. It could really expedite getting his confidence back.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:41 PM
KW

The Panthers practiced shootouts near the end of the practice, and none of the shooters had much success against goalies Tomas Vokoun and Scott Clemmensen except, ironically, a couple of defensemen -- Jason Garrison and Jordan Leopold. Garrison scored three shootout goals. Leopold netted a pair.
"It's a little scary when those are your finalists in the team shootout," Pete joked. "I'm sure I'll be hearing the whispers in the dressing room that they should be getting an opportunity when we get the chance, but they're still a little ways down my list when we get into that situation."

So the logic is ..... guys who do well in SO practice won't actually be used, because obviously the points leaders would do a better job?

Sorry I can read thru the BS. Garrison and Leopold types won't be used by PDB because if they don't score, PDB thinks he will get crap for not picking Horton or Weiss, and he can't deal with it.

I've said it before -- shootouts are not a regular game situation. Having the element of surprise can be most valuable, especially if your backhander crew are becoming, let's say rather predictable.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
The Panthers practiced shootouts near the end of the practice, and none of the shooters had much success against goalies Tomas Vokoun and Scott Clemmensen except, ironically, a couple of defensemen -- Jason Garrison and Jordan Leopold. Garrison scored three shootout goals. Leopold netted a pair.

So the logic is ..... guys who do well in SO practice won't actually be used, because obviously the points leaders would do a better job?

Sorry I can read thru the BS. Garrison and Leopold types won't be used by PDB because if they don't score, PDB thinks he will get crap for not picking Horton or Weiss, and he can't deal with it.

I've said it before -- shootouts are not a regular game situation. Having the element of surprise can be most valuable, especially if your backhander crew are becoming, let's say rather predictable.
From...whom?

I think it's ridiculous that he won't put those guys up front, frickin Koistinen was used how much? He was a defenseman.

Not surprised about Booth, I'm actually very pleased they're not rushing anything and are taking their time with him and his noggin.

12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post

Yes, I agree.

I think PDB would benefit from having someone with head coaching experience at his right hand to help guide him.

Oh, yes - how fortunate that he has that person in... Mike Kitchen

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Yes, I agree.

I think PDB would benefit from having someone with head coaching experience at his right hand to help guide him.

Oh, yes - how fortunate that he has that person in... Mike Kitchen
Actually, the horrendous record of the Canes has me wondering if we might see Maurice here at some point in the future as an assistant.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Laus wrote:

Quote:
I think it's ridiculous that he won't put those guys up front, frickin Koistinen was used how much? He was a defenseman!
I saw him play, Laus. That man was no defenseman!

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 09:46 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Actually, the horrendous record of the Canes has me wondering if we might see Maurice here at some point in the future as an assistant.
Not a bad thought. It certainly seems a possibility.

Old
12-29-2009, 11:16 PM
handbanana
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
From...whom?

I think it's ridiculous that he won't put those guys up front, frickin Koistinen was used how much? He was a defenseman.
And why not use a defenseman, if he shows a knack for scoring in a shootout situation? I don't know how many Jack Johnson shootout goals I've seen. Probably more than I've seen Horton's.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
At the 2008 draft, DeBoer was asked about bringing Maurice on board and he said he would not do that as it would ruin their friendship. Maurice chose DeBoer to be his assistant in the OHL, it was his first coaching gig. He said he never wants to be in a position of authority over Maurice.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:44 PM
gizmo12688

Quote:

I wasn't at practice today -- Harvey covered for me -- but Coach Pete DeBoer noted for the first time there's no guarantee winger David Booth will return from his concussion this season.

Pete was asked today about the team's standing at this point. Here's what he said.

“Despite our record, I believe we can go on a serious run and make the playoffs. Obviously, David Booth is a wild-card factor whether or not he comes back,’’ Pete said. “We’re going on 30-plus games playing without him now, so we’re not counting on that. The group we have if we can remain relatively healthy...I think we're really close to winning some games.’’

I want to make this clear before there's any panic: Pete did not say Booth is out for the season.

But his comments today left open the possibility of that, and it's not something we've heard up to this point. Since the injury Oct. 24, it hasn't been if he'll return this season, but when. In recent weeks, the Panthers have said mid-January for Booth's return and then late January.

Booth has been skating by himself and has increased his exercise regimen. But the Panthers do have to think long-term about a player they signed to a six-year extension this past summer. Asked if Booth has had another setback, Pete said:

“I wouldn't call them setbacks. The problem with this type of injury -- you have to take small steps forward and you have to take another one back and a couple more forward and inch your way toward getting him back."

Then Pete added this, the last part of which I found interesting:

“There has been no major setbacks, but it's a real significant injury. We’ve seen too many guys in this league, Eric Lindros, Keith Primeau...careers end, and it’s something [where] we want to make sure that David is part of this franchise for a long time.’’
This was posted today. Personally I don't like that the idea was even brought up by Deboer. Makes me think that there is something they aren't telling us.

gizmo12688 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
This was posted today. Personally I don't like that the idea was even brought up by Deboer. Makes me think that there is something they aren't telling us.
yeah

At first, I wasn't expecting him come back this season, but few weeks ago, Deboer started to talk about the possibility of a return in January, so I got a little bit excited.

Time to face reality now; Booth won't be back this year.

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I think you guys make a bigger deal out of this than it should be. The reason the top guys are picked where they are is obviously because they have the most success OVER TIME. This is one practice where these guys did well and nothing says it has happened before. If they continue to show potential, they'll make their way into the shootout, I can guarantee that.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:16 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
It was a major concussion. There is no news here. It's just the nature of the beast.

Old
01-02-2010, 04:20 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
It was a major concussion. There is no news here. It's just the nature of the beast.
Agreed. I think people were really getting ahead of themselves when they started trying to give him a timetable.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Will be very surprised if Booth comes back this season. Not huge if he doesn't, plenty of guys have come back and played great after missing that many games, just would like to have him on the ice.

DeBoer's comment of, "we're close to winning some games," made me laugh. I don't know what the hell that means. Another few game stretch of getting points, losing a string, getting points, losing....you see the picture.

I think a trade should be made, not for the sake of making a trade, but bringing in a guy who could help the team. Also, as I said, we get some of these guys back and lose the kids and what happened? We start losing again. Don't understand why Soupy and Kreps can't sit for a few to light a possible fire. DeBoer refuses to do that.

Old
01-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Really hate this for Booth and Panthers fans. He's one hell of a player to watch and Team USA could have used him instead of some of the plugs that are making the trip. But hey, they've come a long way with serious concussions in regards to helping guys get through them. I haven't heard of one as bad as Patrice Bergeron had and he's back to being a game changer. At one point, Bergeron couldn't even be in the same room as a light bulb because his sensitivity to light was so severe. It's crazy to think that one hit could cause all that trouble.

Booth is a real throwback though. He's going to come back strong when he is able.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Really hate this for Booth and Panthers fans. He's one hell of a player to watch and Team USA could have used him instead of some of the plugs that are making the trip. But hey, they've come a long way with serious concussions in regards to helping guys get through them. I haven't heard of one as bad as Patrice Bergeron had and he's back to being a game changer. At one point, Bergeron couldn't even be in the same room as a light bulb because his sensitivity to light was so severe. It's crazy to think that one hit could cause all that trouble.

Booth is a real throwback though. He's going to come back strong when he is able.
Thanks Vagrant. It does suck that he's out, for a lot of reasons. From his work ethic to him being a fan favorite and people loving to watch him, even though the rest of the team sucks.

Old
01-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Yeah, I mean, there are no guarantees with concussions in the first place. You can't really put a timetable on them. Then add to that, this wasn't just any concussion. Booth looked like roadkill after Richards knocked him out. There was never any guarantee from the start that Booth would be back this season. He could be back in late Jan., could be back in March, could not be back at all.

Old
01-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Will be very surprised if Booth comes back this season. Not huge if he doesn't, plenty of guys have come back and played great after missing that many games, just would like to have him on the ice.

DeBoer's comment of, "we're close to winning some games," made me laugh. I don't know what the hell that means. Another few game stretch of getting points, losing a string, getting points, losing....you see the picture.

I think a trade should be made, not for the sake of making a trade, but bringing in a guy who could help the team. Also, as I said, we get some of these guys back and lose the kids and what happened? We start losing again. Don't understand why Soupy and Kreps can't sit for a few to light a possible fire. DeBoer refuses to do that.
I don't really think it's DeBoer's decision. It's ultimately Sexton's and he takes his orders from higher up. It's probably a money thing.

Old
01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Terry Murray is a free man now!

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote