HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Yet another CBA question: 35+ Rule

Old
12-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Yet another CBA question: 35+ Rule

This question has to due with the 35+ rule and how it applies if a player in the first year of a multi-year SPC retires due to an injury. The specific case being considered is Nikolai Khabibulin who may possibly need back surgery. There are many on the Oiler board who believe that by retiring in the first year of the SPC he would prevent the Oilers from having to carry the cap hit for years 2-4 of his contract.

Personally, I do not believe this to be the case, despite some rather ambiguous wording in the CBA. mouser has previously weighed in on the same side. Any comments from the learned masses would be greatly appreciated.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 50.2 (c) iv
All player Salary and Bonuses earned in League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing...
I would interpret the provisions that if player retires during the first year of multi-year SPC, the first year is not subject to the restriction and team would therefore be off the hook for the cap hit for that year, but irrespective of the timing of the retirement, the subsequent years would still count against cap.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:31 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
I would interpret the provisions that if player retires during the first year of multi-year SPC, the first year is not subject to the restriction and team would therefore be off the hook for the cap hit for that year, but irrespective of the timing of the retirement, the subsequent years would still count against cap.
That is my interpretstion as well.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
That is my interpretstion as well.
Well, it appears that all the great minds think alike.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote