HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Bob McKenzie predicts the picks for Team Canada

Old
12-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
Nash-Crosby-Bergeron
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Morrow-Toews-Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Carter

Niedermayer-Weber
Pronger-Boyle
Keith-Seabrook
Bouwmeester

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury
I'm not sure who Bob MacKenzie has on the PK for Canada that would be very good against the offense that the other countries would put out there? You need 4 very good PK guys plus 2 others who can kill penalties.

Aside from Morrow, don't see how his team has any true "checking line" players. Thought we would have seen M. Richards, Fisher, Doan, Smyth, J. Staal type guys as one set checking line.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:24 AM
nullmeatbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Aside from Morrow, don't see how his team has any true "checking line" players. Thought we would have seen M. Richards, Fisher, Doan, Smyth, J. Staal type guys as one set checking line.
Bergeron, Toews, and Morrow are fairly good checkers I'd say. Getzlaf and Perry can, from what I've heard, do the job as well.

nullmeatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonnbbaker View Post
Bergeron, Toews, and Morrow are fairly good checkers I'd say. Getzlaf and Perry can, from what I've heard, do the job as well.
Patrick Marleau and Rick Nash as well.

Scandale du Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Crosby plays a solid defensive game as well when he's asked to.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Toews plays PK in Chicago all the time so that will be a main role of his.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:07 AM
PZA*

Bouwmeester as 7th D men isn't right...

PZA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Wouldn't be my pick, but I mean really, it is a strong team.
Wouldn't be my picks either. His forward corps is an all-star team not a balanced team. You mean to tell me that Thornton is going to play the role of a plug in the Olympics?

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
He and Crosby were electric together at the WJC's a while back, so I think he's banking on the chemistry between the two to be reignited.
People tend to forget that Bergeron and Crosby were awesome together at the WC's as well. Boyes was the third part of that line, but Bergeron and Crosby were sweet together.

I'd say Bergeron becomes Team Canada's top PK man, faceoffs etc.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:18 AM
flames123

Quote:
I'm not sure who Bob MacKenzie has on the PK for Canada that would be very good against the offense that the other countries would put out there? You need 4 very good PK guys plus 2 others who can kill penalties.

Thornton and Marleau can PK among others on bob team, but none that are really good. Thornton actually getting decent ammount of time. But yes, we need other PKers.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:25 AM
HSF

this team needs a more physical presence IMO...

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:27 AM
vadim sharifijanov
TRUMP-BENNING 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
He and Crosby were electric together at the WJC's a while back, so I think he's banking on the chemistry between the two to be reignited.
i think he's also thinking back to 2002, when the top line was gagne sakic iginla. gagne was the unheralded and versatile two-way guy then, which is how probably mckenzie sees bergeron fitting in with the superstar center (cros) and power winger (nash). an interesting idea, though i haven't seen much of bergeron this season.

me, i'd replace toews on the third line with mike richards. instead of carter, maybe i would put toews, or st. louis.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:27 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Wouldn't be my picks either. His forward corps is an all-star team not a balanced team. You mean to tell me that Thornton is going to play the role of a plug in the Olympics?
He's done it before in International Competition, the best thing they can do for Thornton is keep him from feeling too much pressure.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptxMorgan View Post
He's done it before in International Competition, the best thing they can do for Thornton is keep him from feeling too much pressure.
Point taken.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:31 AM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
So because that trio was listed 4th on Bob's list, and not 2nd or 3rd like popular consensus, do you now consider them the "checking" line?

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:32 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I feel like the 4th line this team puts together will still have enough offensive talent so that the team can roll four lines. I see the merits of spreading out the bottom six players on some teams, but does this team need the motivation/space making that such a move usually provides?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:34 AM
serge2k

Quote:

Much better to just take the guys who are willing and able to be in a checking role AND still provide top level offense.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:34 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:

Bergeron will probably be the best PKer. Toews is also really good. Marleau, Morrow and Nash will probably round out the PK.

Shouldn't be a huge problem. Most of these guys are good in their own end anyways. But those that I mentioned excel in the PK.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:41 AM
bstap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Don't watch much Western games do you.
STRONGLY agree with this quote, original quote is about the stupidest thing I've heard on this board

bstap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:41 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Dunno how you can exclude Doan.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:45 AM
bstap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozeash View Post
I don't think Toews should make this team. I think he's too young and overrated. He was amazing at the World jrs though.
Sorry this is the original quote I speak of

bstap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
I think we need Mike Richards AND Patrick Marleau, for the PK. San Jose doesn't put Thornton on the PK because he spends so much time on the scoring line, but seeing as time will be more divided, I think they should put Thornton and Marleau together on the PK.

Yzerman said he's going for consistency and conservatism and defensiveness, not players who have/can be good, so it is unlikely that Green and Lecavilier will make it.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 02:14 AM
BestPlayerAvailable
RIP Ed Snider

No Richards but he has Carter? Yeah, ok.

BestPlayerAvailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptxMorgan View Post
I'm surprised no one has scoffed at Bergeron's presence on the top line. It seems like Mckenzie was trying to go for something a little different than most of the other pundits/bloggers.
I think it's fine... Iginla is too much of a cliche pick to play with Crosby and Nash, while Bergeron gets there for being such a strong two way player (might free up Crosby and Nash for more explosive offensiveness) and great on faceoffs from the right side which they need. If there was a faceoff in Canada's own zone on the right side up by a goal with a few minutes left, I would have no problem with Bergeron taking the draw and Crosby and Nash out there with him at all.

Doubtful Bergeron sees any PP time, I think they'll go Crosby/Iginla/Nash for this, with Bergeron on the #1 PK unit.

Jeff Carter will not make it though... he's played his way off the team.

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 02:57 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
Bouwmeester as 7th D men isn't right...
with his play in December he's lucky he is still on the team... not that he has been bad but you need to be more than good to stay on team Canada

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:00 AM
debil

Lots of eastern team fans extremely underrating Toews. the guy is actually best canadian centre on the same level with crosby. He plays in much better western conference and he does everything extremely well. +17 that's #3 in the league and best among canadian centers.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote