HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Bob McKenzie predicts the picks for Team Canada

Old
12-30-2009, 03:02 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
Lots of eastern team fans extremely underrating Toews. the guy is actually best canadian centre on the same level with crosby. He plays in much better western conference and he does everything extremely well. +17 that's #3 in the league and best among canadian centers.
Yep. I bet man.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:11 AM
debil

vCash: 500
My guess:

Lucic - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Morrow - Toews - Heatley
Smyth - Zajac - Penner

Pronger - Webber
Keith - Seabrook
Green - Doughty

Brodeur
Luongo

Last edited by debil: 12-30-2009 at 03:22 AM.
debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:20 AM
Hollywood

I would pick Spengler cup players before Mike Green. The reason he got smoked last week is self explanatory. He doesn't know where players are on the ice. He is a giveaway waiting to happen. DO NOT PICK HIM

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:55 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
My guess:

Lucic - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Morrow - Toews - Heatley
Smyth - Zajac - Penner

Pronger - Webber
Keith - Seabrook
Green - Doughty

Brodeur
Luongo
So... no Joe Thornton? Neidermayer?

But at least you have Lucic on there.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Lots of eastern team fans extremely underrating Toews. the guy is actually best canadian centre on the same level with crosby. He plays in much better western conference and he does everything extremely well. +17 that's #3 in the league and best among canadian centers.

Great player no doubt, but he isn't as good as you want to claim, the +/- stats says little, specially as he plays on one of the best teams in the league. Take Vinny who is on the same point pace even if he wasn't playing that great earlier in the season, what makes Toews so much better?

Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

St. Louis should be in before Staal.

Vasilevskiy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
My guess:

Lucic - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Morrow - Toews - Heatley
Smyth - Zajac - Penner

Pronger - Webber
Keith - Seabrook
Green - Doughty

Brodeur
Luongo
Lucic isn't making the team, let alone playing on the first line with Crosby. Leaving Thornton off is also a joke, as if the Green - Doughty pairing.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 04:04 AM
debil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post

Great player no doubt, but he isn't as good as you want to claim, the +/- stats says little, specially as he plays on one of the best teams in the league. Take Vinny who is on the same point pace even if he wasn't playing that great earlier in the season, what makes Toews so much better?
He makes that team one of the best in the league.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 04:22 AM
kleslanashfan

If Bergeron makes the team he certainly will not be on the 1st line.

kleslanashfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 04:36 AM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Its a solid lineup... but I think that adding Stamkos instead of Morrow would add more potential flexibility to the top offensive lines should they falter.

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I think Bob Mac's picks are close to perfect with the exception of Carter who I'd replace with St.Louis. Bergeron is the 'surprise', but despite his old record with Crosby, I'd flip him with Iginla.

Toews might be disputable, but Chicago allows extremely few ES goals with him on the ice, and his faceoff dominance is a major advantage over someone like Richards for instance. A Morrow Toews Bergeron line would be a hell of a two way line.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
MotorMaster

Quote:
Nash-Crosby-Bergeron
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Morrow-Toews-Iginla
Heatley-Thornton-Marleau
Carter

Niedermayer-Weber
Pronger-Boyle
Keith-Seabrook
Bouwmeester

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury
Personally I would rather have St.louis on the team,after watching him at the world Championship I thought he was our best player.

Nash-Crosby-St.louis
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Perry-Getlaf-Iginla
Morrow-Doan-Fisher

MacKenzie's goaltending and Defense look good though.

MotorMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Call of the loonie

vCash: 50
It's hard to argue with McKenzie's picks, Canada has so many capable players. But I think I'd definitely want Doan and St.Louis on my team, I just don't know who they'd replace. I think the younger players, despite their immense talent, could stand to wait four more years.

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 07:39 AM
lazerbullet

St. Louis should be on the team for sure. He actually cares to play at the Worlds and has played very well. Can't snub guys like him.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 07:46 AM
FrankMTL

On Montreal radio this morning, Bob MacKenzie said that he had the right to change his mind, and as of this morning he would probably switch the 7th defenceman from J-Bo to Doughty. Very interesting, I know Bob has been raving about this kid, but its too bad some of us in the east have very few chances to watch him.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 07:53 AM
BobMckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
This thread title is misleading. The TSN announcers clearly stated that this is who McKenzie thinks Yzerman will choose, not who Bob would pick himself. A subtle, but significant difference.
Good point by you, Gord. Er, Frank.

And, like Yzerman no doubt, I reserve the right to make last-minute changes. So the projected Yzerman lineup I presented yesterday is being changed this morning.

Delete Jay Bouwmeester.

Add Drew Doughty.

I don't necessarily disagree with the posters who are wondering about Jeff Carter. It could easily be Mike Richards over Carter, but also understand most fans and media talk about these decisions in a vaccum.

That is to say we compare one player vs. the other and make a value judgment that is just based on A vs. B. A lot more goes into for Yzerman and Babcock. It's an intricate jigsaw puzzle and it's how the pieces fit together. It may be that with Toews and Bergeron (the top Canadian faceoff men in the NHL, if I'm not mistaken) they don't have as great a need for Richards as they might have.

I believe who plays wing with Getzlaf and Perry is a major source of concern and while I think Eric Staal may get named in that spot, there is also a lot of support for Carter perhaps moving in there on the right side and possibly shifting Perry to the left.

Anyway, discuss amongst yourselves, but also know that while we all rush to make our judgments based on our likes and dislikes and NHL stats etc., Babcock has played this entire Olympic tournament in his mind. He's thought of every game situation (a faceoff in the right side defensive zone circle protecting a one-goal lead) and whether he has the right players on his roster to put on the ice. The degree of complexity that they've looked at is astonishing.

What way a player shoots, whether he can play on the other side, faceoffs, penalty kill, shootout, power play and the many variations of each of those go into the mix.

Should be fun, but for the record, my projected Yzerman picks are now as follows:

Brodeur, Luongo, Fleury.

Niedermayer-Weber
Pronger-Boyle
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty

Nash-Crosby-Bergeron
EStaal-Getzlaf-Perry
Morrow-Toews-Iginla
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Carter

I wouldn't be shocked if Richards supplants Carter and I still wonder if Morrow is an absolute lock or not. I think Seabrook is secure in the top six, but we'll see.

BobMckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 07:57 AM
CraigC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
I would pick Spengler cup players before Mike Green. The reason he got smoked last week is self explanatory. He doesn't know where players are on the ice. He is a giveaway waiting to happen. DO NOT PICK HIM
I need to get this in my signature.

CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:00 AM
CraigC

Still no Mike Green, thats the biggest mistake with this roster. I am going to be pretty disappointed in a few hours.

Old
12-30-2009, 08:04 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Still no Mike Green, thats the biggest mistake with this roster. I am going to be pretty disappointed in a few hours.
Ovechkin is probably drooling at the thought of playing against Green for once.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:05 AM
CraigC

I'm not to worried.

Old
12-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMckenzie View Post
Good point by you, Gord. Er, Frank.

And, like Yzerman no doubt, I reserve the right to make last-minute changes. So the projected Yzerman lineup I presented yesterday is being changed this morning.

Delete Jay Bouwmeester.

Add Drew Doughty.

I don't necessarily disagree with the posters who are wondering about Jeff Carter. It could easily be Mike Richards over Carter, but also understand most fans and media talk about these decisions in a vaccum.

That is to say we compare one player vs. the other and make a value judgment that is just based on A vs. B. A lot more goes into for Yzerman and Babcock. It's an intricate jigsaw puzzle and it's how the pieces fit together. It may be that with Toews and Bergeron (the top Canadian faceoff men in the NHL, if I'm not mistaken) they don't have as great a need for Richards as they might have.

I believe who plays wing with Getzlaf and Perry is a major source of concern and while I think Eric Staal may get named in that spot, there is also a lot of support for Carter perhaps moving in there on the right side and possibly shifting Perry to the left.

Anyway, discuss amongst yourselves, but also know that while we all rush to make our judgments based on our likes and dislikes and NHL stats etc., Babcock has played this entire Olympic tournament in his mind. He's thought of every game situation (a faceoff in the right side defensive zone circle protecting a one-goal lead) and whether he has the right players on his roster to put on the ice. The degree of complexity that they've looked at is astonishing.

What way a player shoots, whether he can play on the other side, faceoffs, penalty kill, shootout, power play and the many variations of each of those go into the mix.

Should be fun, but for the record, my projected Yzerman picks are now as follows:

Brodeur, Luongo, Fleury.

Niedermayer-Weber
Pronger-Boyle
Keith-Seabrook
Doughty

Nash-Crosby-Bergeron
EStaal-Getzlaf-Perry
Morrow-Toews-Iginla
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Carter

I wouldn't be shocked if Richards supplants Carter and I still wonder if Morrow is an absolute lock or not. I think Seabrook is secure in the top six, but we'll see.
OH MY GOD IT'S THE GUY FROM THE TV!!!!!!!!!!!

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

I'd probably put Lecavalier in there over Carter, but overall this looks like a really solid team.

Jack Donaghy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Taking Bergeron is like when they took Rob Zamuner or Corson.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Here are my picks:

Nash-Crosby-Lecavalier
St-Louis-Getzlaf-Perry
Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Staal-Toews-Iginla
Richards(Brad)

Niedermayer-Boyle
Pronger-Webber
Keith-Seabrook
Bouwmeester

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

This team that Bob thinks they will take is VERY strong.

1) Their PK unit will be fine. Those of you asking for people like Doan for PK'ers have obviously never watched people like Toews, Nash, Marleau, Bergeron, and Morrow. Nash is an absolute STUD on the PK. Those I think will likely be our PK'ers if we dress this lineup. They all do exceptionally well at it with their home clubs.

2) Taking Green would be a HUGE mistake. He is too one dimensional, and it a tournament where one bad turnover could knock you out... well, lets just say he makes to many defensive mistakes that his offensive upside don't make up for. Not when you have other GOOD offensive d-men (Neidermayer, Boyes, Pronger) that can play almost as good offense, but give up far less in the defensive end.

3) Of the 13 forwards, there are probably 10 that 99% of us are going to disagree on, and 3 that the rest of us will argue over until the end of the playoffs. My take is that if all else is equal between two players, take the one that is going to help give you the most chemistry. Now of course, we're going to argue about which forwards can do that the best. Bergeron with Crosby, or should we drop Carter and take St. Louis and Lecavalier. Staal will be another forward people might not want, but he's starting to play much better as of late, and he apparently had a pretty bad injury for much of the beginning of the season and is now apparently healthy and just starting to show people what he can do.

4) Anyone who says Toews can't play with these guys needs to actually watch him in a game sometime. I *HATE* Chicago, but that kid is a stud and could be on my Team Canada any day. He's one of, if not THE BEST faceoff guy in the entire league. He's VERY responsible defensively. He plays with grit and goes to the tough places to get pucks and score. He's got great vision on the ice. And he makes others around him better. Also, he can play on the PK or fill in on the PP if need be. I'd be disappointed if we didn't take him.

5) I can't really argue with the Defense that Bob has posted. Bowmeister, Doughty and Seabrook are all battling for the 2 final spots. Seabrook has that Chemistry with Keith that we've all talked about, so it may just be between Bowmeister and Doughty, and frankly, Doughty has played better than Bowmeister this year. Bowmeister might get the spot because of the Veteran card.

We'll see.

T-Minus 2 hours, 20 minutes.

I can't wait.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote