HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Jersey wants the Winter Classic

Old
12-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
New Jersey wants the Winter Classic

not sure if this has been posted...

http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2009/12/...inter-classic/

Quote:
MSG.com has learned that New Jersey State officials are sending a letter to the National Hockey League and commissioner, Gary Bettman, requesting that the 2011 Winter Classic be played at the new Giants Stadium. Officials are asking that the annual NHL event match up the host New Jersey Devils with the New York Rangers.

Two sources speaking on anonymity, confirmed to me today that the state of New Jersey is aggressively pursuing this game between the two Hudson River rivals.

i think itll never happen because NBC will never have it, but oh well

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

God this would be amazing.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Cowbell232

Won't happen for a hundred reasons.

This is the official warning for any trolls thinking of posting in this thread, you will get infracted very quickly. On either side.

Oh, and you mean the NJSEA wants to do a hockey event? I guess there's no money in the Nets huh? Haha

Old
12-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
There could even be a water slide frozen and converted to a luge track for the kids!

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
HBK27

I wouldn't be surprised if they just had the Rangers play some other team at Giants Stadium.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they just had the Rangers play some other team at Giants Stadium.
Good. The Devils and DAM/DEC don't need anything to do with the NJSEA again after all the nonsense that happens from them.

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
This would be awesome, but as CWE said, NBC would never go for it because the Devils are ratings death.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:12 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Actually on the big stage the Devils are not ratings death. The Devils/Stars still hold the record for the highest rated finals ever.

Old
12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
Actually on the big stage the Devils are not ratings death. The Devils/Stars still hold the record for the highest rated finals ever.
I'm pretty sure we've been beaten out by the Penguins/Detroit series the past 2 years, but yeah, believe it or not, in the middle of the "dead-puck/Trap" era, the Devils and Stars, two teams that epitomized that style of play, had one of the highest rated series (i think Devils v Ducks G7 was the highest single game) of that particular era.

Oh, and i also agree with you. Whenever we ARE on "national broadcast tv" its usually against the Rangers. Our TV ratings for this year are DOUBLE what they were last year.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

please god. please. i want

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
I'm pretty sure we've been beaten out by the Penguins/Detroit series the past 2 years, but yeah, believe it or not, in the middle of the "dead-puck/Trap" era, the Devils and Stars, two teams that epitomized that style of play, had one of the highest rated series (i think Devils v Ducks G7 was the highest single game) of that particular era.
Nope, statistically the Devils and Stars are still tops on average and Game 7 Devils/Ducks is still the top rated single game.

Old
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I'd rather have it at Yankee Stadium than Giants Stadium.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Nope, statistically the Devils and Stars are still tops on average and Game 7 Devils/Ducks is still the top rated single game.
Not a great game to be the top-rated game in hockey history. It was a one-sided affair.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
It doesn't matter, NBC made the NHL take the Capitals out of this year's WC because they didn't think they'd draw good enough ratings. And they draw better than us and have the star power of guys like Ovechkin and Green. Unless NBC can be convinced otherwise, we're never going to sniff the WC, and that's a shame, because we're a consistently good team and our boys would put on a show.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I'd rather have it at Yankee Stadium than Giants Stadium.
No TY..........I think football stadiums are a lot better fit for the WC then baseball stadiums IMO. I don't know why they keep putting them in baseball stadiums. Plus NY gets enough stuff.

BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Harrison Ford

I also don't think it would happen because the teams are in the same market. I could see it being Rags-Caps but not Rags-Devils. I would love if they had it though. Maybe we should start saving up now for it?

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Yeah that's what we need, a bunch of Mike "The Situations" coming in, 'Four home stadiums brah'

Never happen though, NBC wouldn't put 2 teams from the same TV market on a stage this big.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
I could deal with the NJSEA for 1 game if I had to if this meant tickets to the Winter Classic!

And if it's the Rangers and not us there, I'll be going anyway!

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

If it is in NJ, it better involve NJ.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Devils1029

Nope for the sheer ratings aspect of things, if any NY-NJ area team gets into a winter Classic, it would be the Rangers...

I'd suspect a NY Rangers versus Toronto or Montreal.....definitely a Canadian team as next year, New Year's Day is on a Saturday and it would be Hockey Night in Canada! They could drum up HUGE ratings in the largest US market (NY) and ALL of Canada!

It makes just waaaaaayyyy too much sense.....

Devils1029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:05 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Scocco View Post
Nope for the sheer ratings aspect of things, if any NY-NJ area team gets into a winter Classic, it would be the Rangers...

I'd suspect a NY Rangers versus Toronto or Montreal.....definitely a Canadian team as next year, New Year's Day is on a Saturday and it would be Hockey Night in Canada! They could drum up HUGE ratings in the largest US market (NY) and ALL of Canada!

It makes just waaaaaayyyy too much sense.....
It's called Hockey Night because it's at NIGHT! If it's during the day, it wouldn't be a hockey NIGHT in Canada game!

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
If it is in NJ, it better involve NJ.
Right because the teams that play in Giants stadium are from.....?

I can see it being Rangers vs Caps.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Loyal Patrik
I Like Hockey.

I Can Plz Has Teh 2011 Wintr Clasic?

Loyal Patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:07 PM
NJDevils7

I would be extremely surprised if it is not Rags vs. Caps in NY next year. But I think the chances of Devils vs Rangers do increase if they area also doing a Western Canadian game (Flames vs. Canucks).

The thing with Washington is that they don't have multiple stars. Lets say Ovechkin gets hurt and can't play, the Caps vs. Rangers would just be another game. There is no rivalry to back it up like there is with the Devils. They could focus on Brodeur vs. Lundqvist, Parise vs. Gaborik, Brodeur vs. Avery...... and I think that a lot of people would watch just because of the rivalry, and the fact that for the past decade (past 3-4 seasons for the Rags) they have both been good, playoff teams.

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:18 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
No TY..........I think football stadiums are a lot better fit for the WC then baseball stadiums IMO. I don't know why they keep putting them in baseball stadiums. Plus NY gets enough stuff.
Actually baseball stadiums are preferred for several reasons.

1. While is is an awkward shape most of the seats are actually closer than in a football stadium. Remember baseball stadiums are built where most of the seats are around the infield, so when you put the rink there the seats are closer in and on top of the rink. A football stadium they are out far away all around the rink. Pierre Lebrun in his recent ESPN article mentioned that there were more complaints about sightliness in Buffalo than in Chicago.

2. Most importantly the NHL can get into a baseball stadium sooner. Ideally they need 2-3 weeks to get everything set up and working properly. A football stadium you can't do that because it is in use for football. That had about a week and half in Buffalo and it didn't work out well if you remember. There were multiple delays because of ice issues in part because they had to rush to make the rink.

As for Yankee Stadium remember they announced that bowl game they are hosting. assuming that gets approved by the NCAA it would prevent any winter classic there because of the time frame.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote