HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Why were St Louis/Bouwmeester not picked?

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
A guy like Brenden Morrow is good, but nowhere near the class of player that St. Louis is. Pretty bad call.
First of all, I would guess that Morrow vs St.Louis isn't the case, as they play opposite wings as far as I know.

Look at all positions (the RWers in particular due to thread topic), remove the no-brainers, and compare who's left to the 2005 gold medal winning Canadian junior team and see what you notice.

Heck, I would have been really tempted to pick Kane over St.Louis, but if you're hoping for chemistry and Getzlaf is one of your centres... Perry isn't a bad choice (played on the 2005 world junior team with a bunch of these guys like Bergeron and Crosby, and is playing VERY well with Getzlaf this season). Who knows, if Lecavalier is there instead of Getzlaf, St.Louis might be there as well, but here we are.

Old
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
You can't have all offence. You need guys that get their nose dirty.
Because we all know St Louis shies away from the corners and is afraid of players bigger than him

No idea why he was left off, I would assume he declined the invitation given the fact that he's CLEARLY better than several players on the team, has all the intangibles you'd want, and is playing well this season.

Old
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
St. Louis is easily one of the best two-way wingers in the league though. He's not just another one-dimensional forward.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
St Louis I understand, but Bouwmeester just isn't better than any of the 7 they picked, sorry. I watched the guy his entire career in Florida, way over-hyped around here because of hit fat contract.
I agree but leaving a winner with the passion speed skill and talent of St Louis off the team is outrageous to me. Begerone over god damn St Louis WTF.

Old
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
First of all, I would guess that Morrow vs St.Louis isn't the case, as they play opposite wings as far as I know.

Look at all positions (the RWers in particular due to thread topic), remove the no-brainers, and compare who's left to the 2005 gold medal winning Canadian junior team and see what you notice.

Heck, I would have been really tempted to pick Kane over St.Louis, but if you're hoping for chemistry and Getzlaf is one of your centres... Perry isn't a bad choice (played on the 2005 world junior team with a bunch of these guys like Bergeron and Crosby, and is playing VERY well with Getzlaf this season). Who knows, if Lecavalier is there instead of Getzlaf, St.Louis might be there as well, but here we are.
Yeah, me too, if only that damn Patrick Kane wasn't American and all.

Old
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

There are at least three players i wouldn't pick over Marty St. Louis: Staal, Bergeron, Morrow... Too bad Y has a different oppinion.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
euh....what? He doesn't? You'll do something for me tonight ok? We'll watch the game in our GDT and see him play and you'd tell me how "fancy" he is....

Great that we have to play him, Lecavalier and Stamkos the day of their non-nominations...

Old
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Why are people surprised?

Bob McKenzie didn't have him....Pierre McGuire didn't have him. The whole HNIC crew didn't have him besides maybe Scott Oake? Most "experts" didn't have him on their team, and Yzerman and Babcock have the same feeling.

Old
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
There is absolutely no excuse for leaving him out of the team.
I couldnt agree anymore

Old
12-30-2009, 01:26 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilma View Post
ROLE PLAYER.

All scoring + no grinders = bronze medal

That said, he should be there over Toews in my view. Having the 13th forward as a center when so many of you forwards can already play center is a little strange to me.
I agree. Morrow's place is justifiable, but I don't see how someone like Toews or even Bergeron got on the team ahead of St. Louis. St. Louis is a proven winner at ALL levels, has the speed/skating to keep up with the international game, is a workhorse, proficient in both ends of the ice, and is having a great season. Very hard to understand why he was left off other than maybe due to age. Even if that is the case though it would be a ridiculous reason at best, as the guy still plays at a pace of someone in his 20's!

Old
Bucky Katt

I think the problem St Louis has is that Team Canada has 3 great playmaking centres (Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf) and wanted goal scorers to play with them. That is why Nash, Iginla, Marleau, Heatley, Perry and Staal were tabbed to play with them. With the exception of Staal who was hurt, all those guys have twice as many goals as St Louis this year.

I believe that St Louis was a tough omission and that he could very well be an addition if there is an injury in the next six weeks.

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Yeah, me too, if only that damn Patrick Kane wasn't American and all.
Why is it that much of a problem? Pominville is born in Quebec and plays for the US....why wouldn't Kane do the same?

Old
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
There are at least three players i wouldn't pick over Marty St. Louis: Staal, Bergeron, Morrow... Too bad Y has a different oppinion.
When healthy, Eric Staal is easily better than St. Louis.

P. Bergeron has been the best player on the Bruins this season. He can play ANY position, penalty kill and ES....and one of the best face-off guys.

Brenden Morrow is the only guy you can debate.

Old
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
St. Louis off the team is a complete joke. Can't believe it. I try to know what has Eric Staal done better than him to earn a spot.

Old
Sad Panda

Big deal, there's plenty of great players who had to be left off the initial roster. Who knows what will happen with injuries? We could end up icing two teams with the amount of quality players we have to pick from for crying out loud. It's not an easy choice, good players are going to be left off.

Old
Arselona

Not tall enough.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Why are people surprised?

Bob McKenzie didn't have him....Pierre McGuire didn't have him. The whole HNIC crew didn't have him besides maybe Scott Oake? Most "experts" didn't have him on their team, and Yzerman and Babcock have the same feeling.
For the same reason that McKenzie had Carter, he's not in and nobody is surprised. McKenzie is great, one of the best if not the best. But he still can be wrong. And I believe he is in that case. But like I said, you can still be wrong and win. Even with a Canada2 team we would be going for the Bronze.

Old
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
I think the problem St Louis has is that Team Canada has 3 great playmaking centres (Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf) and wanted goal scorers to play with them. That is why Nash, Iginla, Marleau, Heatley, Perry and Staal were tabbed to play with them. With the exception of Staal who was hurt, all those guys have twice as many goals as St Louis this year.

I believe that St Louis was a tough omission and that he could very well be an addition if there is an injury in the next six weeks.
This is also a team that is lacking in terms of natural wingers though. We're gonna be going into this tournament converting a lot of natural centermen into wingers, while leaving our country's highest scoring winger at home. Also, St. Louis may be more of a playmaker by trade, but the guy has proven numerous times that he can be a great goal scorer as well. I for one was looking forward to the possibility of seeing him and Crosby playing on a line together, as I think those two guys would be an absolute force together on the same line!

Old
Peter Griffin

St.Louis is a great player, but it's no surprise really he was left off the team. As others have mentioned, he's a playmaker and also a winger, and with Crosby, Thornton and Getzlaf up the middle, all more or less playmaking centers(aside from Crosby who can also score) they preferred to go with some guys who can play wing and center.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:29 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
Canada has a message back "Play better. If you would of outplayed Doughty you could of made the team."
Doughty has outplayed pretty much every Canadian defenseman this year. Argument could be made anyway and that makes him a lock.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:30 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I thought he was a lock... absolutely guaranteed to make it?

or so I was told when I suggested that Brad Richards should go over him.

what I said before was that the left wing spot next to Getzlaf and Perry would go to one of Richards, St. Louis or Staal... my pick was Richards (having an amazing season IMO), but not surprised that Staal got it.

not surprised JBo didn't make it... Doughty earned it... he's been excellent this season.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:30 PM
eddy

Of all the guys who didn't make it St. Louis is the player I'm most disappointed about. Hopefully he'll be the first guy called in case of an injury.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiyHockey View Post
Every big country, except arguably Russia, has at least one "wtf" selection so far. Canada is just continuing the trend.
Kalinin ?

Old
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why is it that much of a problem? Pominville is born in Quebec and plays for the US....why wouldn't Kane do the same?
I know you're joking, but Pominville's dual citizenship decision isn't the same as Kane being born and raised in the US and a clear product of US Hockey. Besides, Pominville sucks

Old
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Canuck21t

Quote:
St Louis I understand, but Bouwmeester just isn't better than any of the 7 they picked, sorry. I watched the guy his entire career in Florida, way over-hyped around here because of hit fat contract.
You clearly never saw Bouwmeester play for Canada at the multiple World Championships. He has always been no less than excellent for Canada. The only times he's been less than excellent, the whole team were mediocre.

Closed Thread