HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Composite equivalent to Sherwood PMP 5030?

Old
12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
skater25134

vCash: 500
Composite equivalent to Sherwood PMP 5030?

I was a long-time user of the Sherwood P.M.P. 5030 but I can't use them anymore because I grew too tall and they only make them in 60" length. (I'm 6'4" now; I like a stick to be around 61 1/2".) I got a couple PMP 9970s a few years ago but they're way too stiff and I assume the current 9950s are the same way…has anyone ever found a composite/one-piece stick that feels very similar, of any brand? (They don't have to be extra-long because I can add a buttend extension; from when I've flexed Sherwood composites in a store the equivalent *seems* to be 95, would others concur with this assessment in terms of actual usage? [I don't want to buy one just to try it out because they're >$100 each.])

Last edited by skater25134: 12-31-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: changed length
skater25134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Heat McManus

Have you tried the SWD 7000?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:02 PM
skater25134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
Have you tried the SWD 7000?
No I haven't but according to the website of an online dealer that sells them they are only 60" long—I think the lowest I could go is 61" without straining my back.

Old
12-30-2009, 09:14 PM
CanadaBacon

If you still want wood you can try the TPS aircraft cores, i believe they are 61 1/2" and have almost the same blade patterns as Sherwood woodies. Decent woodies are hard to come by these days so you might have to search a bit.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:36 PM
skater25134

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
If you still want wood you can try the TPS aircraft cores, i believe they are 61 1/2" and have almost the same blade patterns as Sherwood woodies. Decent woodies are hard to come by these days so you might have to search a bit.
Do you know what kind of flexibility they offer though? I found a few places that have them online but they didn't mention *anything* about stiffness, I'll fire off some emails inquiring but have you personally used both the Sherwood 5030s and a TPS model that felt similar?

Old
12-30-2009, 10:26 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater25134 View Post
Do you know what kind of flexibility they offer though? I found a few places that have them online but they didn't mention *anything* about stiffness, I'll fire off some emails inquiring but have you personally used both the Sherwood 5030s and a TPS model that felt similar?
I havnt used a sherwood in YEARS, the TPS are between 85-95 depending on the randomness of the stick you pick up. Sometimes you will get a really stiff one.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 02:19 PM
difren

Last year Sherwood released a stick called the 5030cc, which was a composite version of the 5030. I don't think they continued the line, but you might be able to find some at your LHS still. Personally, I love the stick and you can find them for around $60-80US. They last longer than a woodie 5030 too.

difren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 04:17 PM
skater25134

Quote:
Originally Posted by difren View Post
Last year Sherwood released a stick called the 5030cc, which was a composite version of the 5030. I don't think they continued the line, but you might be able to find some at your LHS still. Personally, I love the stick and you can find them for around $60-80US. They last longer than a woodie 5030 too.
These do look interesting but are you sure they can be made longer than 60"? I found one site which has the following description:

Weight / Length (includes flat removable end plug):
N/A / 61"
(http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SW53C)

so I could presumably add a longer plug, but from the pictures from it and other sites it looks like a solid-piece shaft which can't be extended. (I sent them an email asking them to confirm the end plug, hopefully they'll respond.) (Also I don't like any of the curves offered, but I could live with one of them if I had to [I like a mild mid- curve i.e. old-style Bourque]).

Old
12-31-2009, 04:27 PM
skater25134

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I havnt used a sherwood in YEARS, the TPS are between 85-95 depending on the randomness of the stick you pick up. Sometimes you will get a really stiff one.
Thanks, but you're right—it is extremely hard to find them online (except for the goalie version). If anyone knows of a site that might be likely to have them please don't hesitate to post the link here.

Old
12-31-2009, 05:17 PM
difren

Quote:
These do look interesting but are you sure they can be made longer than 60"? I found one site which has the following description:

Weight / Length (includes flat removable end plug):
N/A / 61"
(http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SW53C)

so I could presumably add a longer plug, but from the pictures from it and other sites it looks like a solid-piece shaft which can't be extended. (I sent them an email asking them to confirm the end plug, hopefully they'll respond.) (Also I don't like any of the curves offered, but I could live with one of them if I had to [I like a mild mid- curve i.e. old-style Bourque]).
You shouldn't have any problem putting a plug in it. It's a standard opening at the top of the shaft like the rest of the composites I've seen. There is a black plug that should come out fairly easily, the piece only goes into it about 1" or therabouts, no glue or anything like that keeping it in.

The Spezza is probably the closest to the Bourque that you'll be able to find in that line. In fact, all I've been able to find as far as the 5030cc's go are Coffey and Spezza curves, and the Coffey (which I like a lot) is probably not what you're looking for as it has a 3/4" curve to it.

difren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 05:44 PM
skater25134

Quote:
Originally Posted by difren View Post
You shouldn't have any problem putting a plug in it. It's a standard opening at the top of the shaft like the rest of the composites I've seen. There is a black plug that should come out fairly easily, the piece only goes into it about 1" or therabouts, no glue or anything like that keeping it in.

The Spezza is probably the closest to the Bourque that you'll be able to find in that line. In fact, all I've been able to find as far as the 5030cc's go are Coffey and Spezza curves, and the Coffey (which I like a lot) is probably not what you're looking for as it has a 3/4" curve to it.
Good to know thanks for your help—this does sound appetizing I wish I could see one in person (if it were just wood i.e. approx. $30 I might just order one).

Old
12-31-2009, 11:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I was a long-time user of the Sherwood P.M.P. 5030 but I can't use them anymore because I grew too tall and they only make them in 60" length. (I'm 6'4" now; I like a stick to be around 61 1/2".) I got a couple PMP 9970s a few years ago but they're way too stiff and I assume the current 9950s are the same way…has anyone ever found a composite/one-piece stick that feels very similar, of any brand? (They don't have to be extra-long because I can add a buttend extension; from when I've flexed Sherwood composites in a store the equivalent *seems* to be 95, would others concur with this assessment in terms of actual usage? [I don't want to buy one just to try it out because they're >$100 each.])
Would you be interested in using a two piece system for a stick? It would solve a couple of things for you the first one being you could use a buttend either made from wood or composite material to make your length the length you need. You can still do that with a one piece if that is what you want.

I am also 6ft 4 inches tall and when I used woodies had to settle for shorter sticks and had to just deal with it. I actually made wood sticks longer by cutting the end off to make it square and cutting a piece of shaft from a broken stick to add a few inches and used thin flat metal with holes in it to secure the weird buttend onto the stick I cut. Then I would tape over the metal screwed onto the buttend and shaft I made because it was the handle. it added weight however but it did work.

Anyway back to the business at hand .... the two piece also frees you up to buy replacement blades for the curve you preferred on the 5030. You should be able to find the blade you like on a one piece as well if you go that way. I just find a two piece more economical for me as I like to use different blades on a whim. I buy some different curve patterns for whatever my mood is.

My composite sticks are all 61-1/2" as well .... nice to see someone else who knows how long their stick should be!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:19 AM
skater25134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Would you be interested in using a two piece system for a stick? It would solve a couple of things for you the first one being you could use a buttend either made from wood or composite material to make your length the length you need. You can still do that with a one piece if that is what you want.

I am also 6ft 4 inches tall and when I used woodies had to settle for shorter sticks and had to just deal with it. I actually made wood sticks longer by cutting the end off to make it square and cutting a piece of shaft from a broken stick to add a few inches and used thin flat metal with holes in it to secure the weird buttend onto the stick I cut. Then I would tape over the metal screwed onto the buttend and shaft I made because it was the handle. it added weight however but it did work.

Anyway back to the business at hand .... the two piece also frees you up to buy replacement blades for the curve you preferred on the 5030. You should be able to find the blade you like on a one piece as well if you go that way. I just find a two piece more economical for me as I like to use different blades on a whim. I buy some different curve patterns for whatever my mood is.

My composite sticks are all 61-1/2" as well .... nice to see someone else who knows how long their stick should be!
I would absolutely be open to *any* kind of stick, the discussion had just recently veered into discussion of woodies, in fact I would *prefer* it if I could find a two-piece (or one-piece with end plug, unless that's the same thing), just as long as it *feels* fairly similar to the PMP 5030 SC, for reasons similar to those that you list (in fact that was sort of the point of the request in the original post).

It's just nuts with all the choices out there now, though, plus you can't really try stuff without buying one and at >$100/stick it's not feasible for me.