HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Does the NHL help the WJC?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
  #1
tiz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Does the NHL help the WJC?

I know some fans are unhappy that the top junior players in the world play in the NHL and don't participate in the WJC. Examples of this would be Karlsson for Sweden, Tavares, Stamkos, etc...

However, by removing that top end talent off each country's roster, in some ways it provides us with a more exciting tournament. It allows for a bit more parody between the different teams and allows us to see some perhaps less heralded players.

The WJC is the top junior players in the world that aren't good enough to play in the NHL. I love the WJC, and I think a part of it is the level of competitiveness of many of the games.

I believe if all U20 players were able to participate, we'd see less exciting hockey and more blowouts when it came to upper echelon countries.

What do you guys think?

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
  #2
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 500
Yeah, if all of the truly eligible players competed, in particular for Canada there literally wouldn't be a reason to hold the tournament. Applaud Canada's depth, but the WJC's are almost irrelevant from a competition standpoint as is.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:20 PM
  #3
NeverGoingToWin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,648
vCash: 500
Who is Latvia, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Slovakia, etc missing because of the NHL? The blowouts would only get bigger.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:22 PM
  #4
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,798
vCash: 500
I think we'd see more blowouts. Can you imagine Team Canada with Tavares, Duchesne, Stamkos and others (who am I forgetting?)

Remember the 2005 WJC? Canada thrashed a team that had Ovechkin and Malkin by a score of 6-1. They killed every other team. Sweden is not a bad hockey country and I think it was 9-1 wasn't it? As a Canadian I love it of course, but you could almost give the gold medal to Canada right off the bat.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:25 PM
  #5
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin
 
Thordic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kearny, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Ha, right. So Canada gets:

Tavares, Del Zotto, Duchene, Kane, etc and this improves the tournament how? Latvia gets crushed 25-0 instead of 16-0?

Thordic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:26 PM
  #6
tiz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
In terms of the blowout comment, I meant it more when referring to some of the upper echelon countries blowing out other top countries.

For example, if Canada had Tavares, Stamkos, Duchene, Kane, Myers... I don't think even games against some of the other top teams would even be close.

What I'm saying is that Canada not getting those players is a good thing for the tournament and a great thing for us hockey fans. Even though I am a Canadian and want them to win, I would like us to win in a good hockey game as well.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
  #7
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
In terms of the blowout comment, I meant it more when referring to some of the upper echelon countries blowing out other top countries.

For example, if Canada had Tavares, Stamkos, Duchene, Kane, Myers... I don't think even games against some of the other top teams would even be close.

What I'm saying is that Canada not getting those players is a good thing for the tournament and a great thing for us hockey fans. Even though I am a Canadian and want them to win, I would like us to win in a good hockey game as well.
It gives the tournament a bit more legitimacy. Otherwise, it takes on a Harlem Globetrotters quality.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 03:54 PM
  #8
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
It gives the tournament a bit more legitimacy. Otherwise, it takes on a Harlem Globetrotters quality.
haha that would be kind of entertaining, Taveres and Duchense pulling yo-yo puck gags on the Latvian Generals.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 04:27 PM
  #9
Lisa Needs Braces
Registered User
 
Lisa Needs Braces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 500
Not only does removing the top talent make the tournament more interesting, but it also gives shots to guys who will probably otherwise not see the international stage playing for Canada.

Lisa Needs Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 04:33 PM
  #10
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I think we'd see more blowouts. Can you imagine Team Canada with Tavares, Duchesne, Stamkos and others (who am I forgetting?)

Remember the 2005 WJC? Canada thrashed a team that had Ovechkin and Malkin by a score of 6-1. They killed every other team. Sweden is not a bad hockey country and I think it was 9-1 wasn't it? As a Canadian I love it of course, but you could almost give the gold medal to Canada right off the bat.
canada is having a great time in junior hockey during the last 6 years but from 1998 till to 2005 things didnt look very good for you. so no need to get so cocky guys.


Last edited by pouskin74*: 12-30-2009 at 04:38 PM.
pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 04:36 PM
  #11
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin
 
Thordic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kearny, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
if Canada had Myers...
Give him back! He's a damn Texan!

Thordic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.