HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

IIHF: Rosters can be changed only due to "valid reason", not performance

Old
12-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Siberian

vCash: 500
IIHF: Rosters can be changed only due to "valid reason", not performance

Somehow the NHL read one of Bykov's interviews where he said he would replace a player down the road if he underperformed before the Olympics. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhoc...ory?id=4783161

I understand there are may be complications with the insuranse when it comes to the NHL players but if Bykov brings a couple of players from the KHL why would NHL care?

Last edited by Siberian: 12-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:06 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Somehow the NHL read one of Bykov's interviews where he said he would replace a player down the road if he underperformed before the Olympics. http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhoc...ory?id=4783161

I understand there are may be complications with the insuranse when it comes to the NHL players but if Bykov brings a couple of players from the KHL why would NHL care?
Does underperforming before the Olympics include being a healthy scratch for 3rd pair D where the replacement is Jason Strudwick?

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Tricolore#20

Probably has to do with the same reason why the NHL and NHLPA forbid international teams from having true "training-camps" during the summer months. They are afraid that players will be "cut" and thereby have their market value lessened.

It's such a shame that the NHL/NHLPA/IIHF have such differences in fundamental ideals. That difference becomes the major source of the disagreements they have over the years. The NHL is concerned about the best financial interests of the owners, while I believe the IIHF actually cares about putting on a legitimate tournament.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Siberian

I am surprised that IIHF says Bykov is right because I can't believe there is so much miscommunication between some of the biggest organizations in hockey.

Old
12-30-2009, 05:14 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Probably has to do with the same reason why the NHL and NHLPA forbid international teams from having true "training-camps" during the summer months. They are afraid that players will be "cut" and thereby have their market value lessened.

It's such a shame that the NHL/NHLPA/IIHF have such differences in fundamental ideals. That difference becomes the major source of the disagreements they have over the years. The NHL is concerned about the best financial interests of the owners, while I believe the IIHF actually cares about putting on a legitimate tournament.
If that was true then the World Juniors would not be in Canada every year. They care just as much about money as the NHL does.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
If that was true then the World Juniors would not be in Canada every year. They care just as much about money as the NHL does.
This year's tournament is in Saskatchewan because no European country was willing to host the 2010 event. Initially, the plan was to have Canada host the tournament on a every-3 year basis.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...0-juniors.html

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:18 PM
NeverGoingToWin

I know that. Everybody knows Switzerland dropped out. Every 3 years is still too often unless you want more than 1000 people to attend the games and allow the IIHF to make money.

Old
12-30-2009, 05:21 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Could Team Canada and Team USA do the same? Or does something in the NHL contracts prevent it?

I dont see a big deal with it. I'll probably offend a lot of KHL fans, but the KHL players probably wont be the difference makers. It's going to be Malkin, Ovechkin, etc that Russia lives and dies by. Not who they put on the third defense pairing or fourth line.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Could Team Canada and Team USA do the same? Or does something in the NHL contracts prevent it?

I dont see a big deal with it. I'll probably offend a lot of KHL fans, but the KHL players probably wont be the difference makers. It's going to be Malkin, Ovechkin, etc that Russia lives and dies by. Not who they put on the third defense pairing or fourth line.
Can't argue with the word probably here. You may or may not remember it was a Russian KHL player who beat three NHLers to the puck, scored and started the comeback for team Russia in Quebec WC in the final against Canada. I am more than sure you don't even know who that is unless you look up.

Old
12-30-2009, 05:28 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Do you know who scored the actual game-tying and game-winning goal in that game? It wasn't a KHL player. A better example would be using the player who scored the GW goal last year.

Old
12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Paxton Fettel

It was Tereschenko in 08, but then again, I'm Russian

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post
Do you know who scored the actual game-tying and game-winning goal in that game? It wasn't a KHL player. A better example would be using the player who scored the GW goal last year.
Point was that clearly it's very significant who Russia picks from the KHL, so his original message was just a lame attempt to bash the KHL.

Old
BlackAces*

Quote:
Can't argue with the word probably here. You may or may not remember it was a Russian KHL player who beat three NHLers to the puck, scored and started the comeback for team Russia in Quebec WC in the final against Canada. I am more than sure you don't even know who that is unless you look up.
Judging by the annual lack of interest in the Worlds in Canada, he probably doesn't.

Meh, I am happy with Canada's roster, no need to change, unless injury strikes.

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
It was Tereschenko, but then again, I'm Russian
I think he was talking about Radulov's goal.

Old
12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Ok I will definitely offend all KHL fans then
They could have the entire KHL roster on the Olympic team and I still dont think it makes a difference. If Russia is going to win it will because no one can stop Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk etc. Not because they last minute subbed a fourth liner.

Old
12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Ok I will definitely offend all KHL fans then
They could have the entire KHL roster on the Olympic team and I still dont think it makes a difference. If Russia is going to win it will because no one can stop Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk etc. Not because they last minute subbed a fourth liner.

And poor me thought it was a team game. Then why are all of your countrymen discuss so much about who was taken to the roster and who was not. Isn't it clear cut that Crosby and Nash will carry this team and all the other bums will carry the piano?

Old
12-30-2009, 05:36 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
And poor me thought it was a team game. Then why are all of your countrymen discuss so much about who was taken to the roster and who was not. Isn't it clear cut that Crosby and Nash will carry this team and all the other bums will carry the piano?
Nah, our lineup isn't so top heavy. We just have wicked through out.

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 05:37 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Stop baiting. We will find out in February whether they make a big difference or not. This is the one and only time I will take the Russian's side. I don't see what the big deal is in switching players at the last minute if the IIHF allows it.

Last edited by NeverGoingToWin: 12-31-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old
12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Nah, our lineup isn't so top heavy. We just have wicked through out.

Well the thing is there shouldn't be a disrespect in hockey. Canada paid ultimate price last Olympics when they couldn't overcome bunch of Swiss league players. Tereschenko or Gorovikov may not be household names in North America, but guess what neither are Perry, Seabrook and whoever else in Russia. They may be superstars for your home town but nobodies for me, but I don't dis them and respect any player that plays for their teams. Thing is Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Crosby are gamebreakers but everybody else are role players who are extremely important. So why don't we lay off the KHL and just discuss an important issue that the rosters are actually not considered final, how Canadian media tried to portray.

Old
12-30-2009, 05:49 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Actually thats why I dont care who is the #7 defender if its Green or whoever. Or who was picked for the fourth line for Canada. If Crosby isnt good enough to carry the load Canada will lose regardless of who was picked as the bottom guys.

My apologies to Russians everywhere. I meant to insult fourth liners in general not just KHL ones

Old
12-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
I think he was talking about Radulov's goal.
he posted while I was answering your question

Old
12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Paxton Fettel

I wanna see Mikael Samuelsson's reaction when he sees this thread

Old
12-30-2009, 06:16 PM
v-man

I had always read that the only substitutions would be if players on these roster got injured, but then again that was always from North American sources. If the IIHF says that's not the case, then that's great. I don't see any need for releasing the rosters so early, other than to maybe simplify drug testing, but they could also simply stipulate that any player added to the roster at a later date must be tested prior to participating, solving that problem. Now it just becomes extra embarrassing to any player kicked off the provisional rosters.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:05 AM
BillyShears

NHL, NHLPA write to IIHF about Team Russia

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/new...tml?cid=rsstsn

Thoughts?

BillyShears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
You would think something as important and as simple as this would have been made abundantly clear to all parties eons ago

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote