HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Oilers draft pick ever

Old
12-31-2009, 12:00 PM
SlowFreshOil*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
Taylor Hall is an overrated plumber. Mark my words, he's going to be a bust. Too many people here are listening to Pierre McGuire's pumping. I see more potential in players like Kadri and Pietrangelo than Hall. He's probably the next Alexandre Daigle. Well, at least he can represent Canada in the Spengler cup, in the future coached by another fired oiler coach.
I don't listen to anyone. I watch a lot of junior hockey and Hall is the real deal.

If you honestly think Kadri or Pietrangelo are better than Hall, you need to go back and watch Hall play more. You're entitled to your opinion and all, but you're the first person I've heard calling Hall a bust, or a plumber for that matter.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
laclipper

Quote:
Taylor Hall is an overrated plumber. Mark my words, he's going to be a bust. Too many people here are listening to Pierre McGuire's pumping. I see more potential in players like Kadri and Pietrangelo than Hall. He's probably the next Alexandre Daigle. Well, at least he can represent Canada in the Spengler cup, in the future coached by another fired oiler coach.
You might like Kadri and Pietrangelo better, but we can't pick them...so given the players available to draft you can't argue with Taylor Hall.

laclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhlbuffy View Post
What? You watched all 3 games he's played for Canada so far. Well, I better ignore every single scout that's been watching him since he was 13, and say he's the next Messier... you've seen him play 3 games!
Those same scouts watched Daigle and were unanimous he was number one. Ott even cheated to get him.

I too am not 100% sold on him but lets see how he does when the competition improves. I will reserve judgement for now.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Forget McGuire...I don't like him either. But you are disputing not just McGuire's testimony of him but all of the other scouts that have him slotted number 1 in this years draft. And his play has been fantastic so far, if he continues to improve this tournament he will easily get nabbed in the first overall spot. He his hardly a plumber and is by far one the most explosive skaters out there, watch him backcheck after playing deep in the opposing corner or streaking down the ice on the attack...awesome speed. If the Oilers are lucky enough to get the 1st overall, I take him in a heartbeat. OT a little...the Moose is the best draft pick ever.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 03:11 PM
alexo

Messier, Kurri or Anderson would be the easy choices, given their points totals, jersey retirement/hof, and later picks.

As far as Hall... honestly the best players each year are question. Every year people say "this kid isn't anything... he's the next Daigle". People did it to Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, etc.

This kid looks really good. I believe the hype. On top of being pretty strong offensively, he's a great backchecker and defensive player as well. He also is the youngest player on our roster. Remember that when comparing him to other players who have been to this tourney already. Anyone that gets him or Seguin will likely be happy.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Those same scouts watched Daigle and were unanimous he was number one. Ott even cheated to get him.

I too am not 100% sold on him but lets see how he does when the competition improves. I will reserve judgement for now.
Daigle did not perform half as well in both WJC as we are seeing Hall this year in his first (Daigle had zero goals in his first WJC and 2 in the second). And is it realistic to use to worst #1 draft pick ever as a reference. You are obviously a hard sell but this guy is playing beyond the hype surrounding him, I fully expect the trend to continue.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 04:16 PM
tiger_80

of all times Messier. Of the last decade, gotta be Hemsky.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Initially I've thought this too, but I was quickly turned. My only knock on him, he seems a tad whiny.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Soundwave

Yeah I was somewhat skeptical of Hall but that last game made me more of a believer.

Very impressive skating ability and a really wicked shot combined with good sized frame (6'1).

If he is a "bust" at the NHL level it will be because he does not want to work for it plain and simple. He has too much raw talent and ability for that to be the let down.

I remember reading that Daigle actually never really liked playing hockey, he just kinda got thrown into it, lol.

Last edited by Soundwave: 12-31-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Beerfish

1979 draft might be the best draft ever for a team.

Lowe 1st - 21
Messier 3rd - 48th
Anderson 4th - 68th

Looking at 1980 we were just about as freaking good. Talk about setting up a franchise for long term success.

Coffey 1st - 6th
Kurrey 4th - 69th
Moog 7th - 132nd

Last edited by Beerfish: 12-31-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

Messier first but Kurri deserves a mention.

And really the story on how the Oilers were able to get Kurri in the fourth round makes it an even better pick.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:21 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yeah I was somewhat skeptical of Hall but that last game made me more of a believer.

Very impressive skating ability and a really wicked shot combined with good sized frame (6'1).

If he is a "bust" at the NHL level it will be because he does not want to work for it plain and simple. He has too much raw talent and ability for that to be the let down.

I remember reading that Daigle actually never really liked playing hockey, he just kinda got thrown into it, lol.
Isn't he just 17? He has still two years of eligibility left. He is the real deal and there is really no doubt.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

There really is no such thing as a 100% for sure prospect. Everytime a player moves up a level it is possible that his performance will not be what it was or what is expected. But looking at guys like Hall you see pretty much everything that you would want in a high pick. If he is available and you take him, then you cannot be held responsible if he becomes a bust as pretty much everyone in your shoes would have done the exact same thing.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
1979 draft might be the best draft ever for a team.

Lowe 1st - 21
Messier 3rd - 48th
Anderson 4th - 68th

Looking at 1980 we were just about as freaking good. Talk about setting up a franchise for long term success.

Coffey 1st - 6th
Kurrey 4th - 69th
Moog 7th - 132nd
You are the first one to bring up Moog. Good find! He left with some bad fellings but played very well for the Oil, and showed himself to be a very talented goalie for much of his career.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Daigle did not perform half as well in both WJC as we are seeing Hall this year in his first (Daigle had zero goals in his first WJC and 2 in the second). And is it realistic to use to worst #1 draft pick ever as a reference. You are obviously a hard sell but this guy is playing beyond the hype surrounding him, I fully expect the trend to continue.
Yet the scouts still had AD as number 1. Thats my point, even if every scout has him number 1 it means nothing. I hope Hall is as good as people say because he might be an Oiler some day and I would sure hate to be the guy betting the highest draft pick in Oiler history on him...

Old
12-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Arpeggio

Are they really not going to draft a guy because "he might be Daigle"? Fact is you take the guy who's the best player at his draft year. Yes, it's almost a toss up between Hall and Seguin, but Hall's done more. No way you pass on him with the first pick.

That said, if the Oilers do finish last, there's a pretty decent chance they don't get the first pick. So as long as they get one of the two, I'm alright with that.

Edit: To the guy above, being the consensus number one does not "mean nothing". Yeah, Daigle was a consensus number one. Here are some other ones:

Sidney Crosby
Alex Ovechkin
Patrick Kane
Steve Stamkos
John Tavares/Victor Hedman
Rick Nash
Ilya Kovalchuk
Joe Thornton

Consensus #1 does mean something.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Spiff The Spaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheory View Post
Duuuude. That's awesome.
ya, for about 24 hours after the kanye incident, then ho hum....

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Meanashell11

So how do you like Hall now? Biggest stage of his career and he was invisible. Canada is sure lucky Eberle was around. Hall look like Roberrrr Nilson on a bad night out there today...

Old
01-01-2010, 12:38 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Since the 90's picks which have worked out in our favor would be Hemsky, Smyth, Brewer and Horcoff is debatable. Not a very good track record.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
I watched all the games, he doesn't make me get off my chair standing like Ovechkin, Crosby or Toews. Everyone here says let's trade Hemsky and some other stuff for the first pick. Hall does not have the tools of a Toews or Crosby, I'm not sold on this guy.
Perennial 40+ goal, we'll see about that. I wouldn't touch this guy with a ten feet pole. I don't see explosiveness in his game. I'll see what he does if Canada makes it to the semi finals. He'll bring his 'A' game for sure, then we'll see what he's made of when he goes all out.
You don't see explosiveness? Wha.... Man.....

I'm letting that slide but honestly man, every year some guy tries to be nostredaumus saying that Tavares is going to be a bust, saying that Stamkos will be the next Daigle, Kane won't be able to translate his game to the next level. It's almost never right. This Hall kid is a mix of everything. Powerforward, Sniper,he's not a great playmaker but he's got those dimensions to his game. This kid is going to be a superstar.

And seriously man, Kadri hasn't done much. He's been average at best, taking bad shots, turning the puck over, taking bad penalties. Hall has been 5X better.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
So how do you like Hall now? Biggest stage of his career and he was invisible. Canada is sure lucky Eberle was around. Hall look like Roberrrr Nilson on a bad night out there today...

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:27 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
lol. No knee jerk reaction there. Sheesh.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Hippasus

Kurri helped make Gretzky the Great One; so him, then Messier, Coffey, and Fuhr.

Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Well if you look earlier in this thread I said i was still on the fence about Hall and that tonight would be his night to step it up. Rise to the level of the competition. Please tell me what he did that was so outstanding out there against The US??

Old
01-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Beerfish

I am not 100% sold on Hall just yet. He has great talent but some bad habits that won't wash in the nhl . If the oilers had the 1st pick I'd have to know more about this Seguin dude before 100% being behind a Hall pick.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote