HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Best Oilers draft pick ever

Old
01-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbingbill View Post
Kurri helped make Gretzky the Great One; so him, then Messier, Coffey, and Fuhr.
I think Gretzky helped Kurri more than Kurri helped Gretzky but at any rate they were very complementary for one another.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Well if you look earlier in this thread I said i was still on the fence about Hall and that tonight would be his night to step it up. Rise to the level of the competition. Please tell me what he did that was so outstanding out there against The US??
He created chances and was dangerous at times. Outside of Eberle there wasnt a whole lot of positives from Canada. They were spanked for the first two periods and deserved to lose the game. They poured it on in the third. Ellis was absolutely terrible out there. And he has been there before. This was Hall's first real test at this level. Not really fair to poop all over him because he didnt score. His play was as good or better than a lot of forwards on the team.

Old
01-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

vCash: 500
I wasn't alive during the glory days but this decade it's without question Ales Hemsky...

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He created chances and was dangerous at times. Outside of Eberle there wasnt a whole lot of positives from Canada. They were spanked for the first two periods and deserved to lose the game. They poured it on in the third. Ellis was absolutely terrible out there. And he has been there before. This was Hall's first real test at this level. Not really fair to poop all over him because he didnt score. His play was as good or better than a lot of forwards on the team.
I was not pooping on him. I said this was his chance against real competition and he spent most of the night being pushed wide and falling on his pooper!

I would not call a single rush as dangerous. Eberle on the other hand played very well and was dangerous out there all night.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I was not pooping on him. I said this was his chance against real competition and he spent most of the night being pushed wide and falling on his pooper!

I would not call a single rush as dangerous. Eberle on the other hand played very well and was dangerous out there all night.
Can you name any other outstanding Canadians from last nights game? Also Hall did more than just one rush. He was far from outstanding, but so were many of his teammates who are older and have experience at this level. It was a very exciting game but it also showed that we can be beaten. We should have lost that game really.

Old
01-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Meanashell11

I agree we should have lost. I thought Cormier and Pietrangelo (sp??) played decent but just because everyone else played poorly does not make Hall's poor play good just because he was on a relative basis better. He had a chance to cement his reputation and missed. It is exactly these opportunities that differentiate great from good. So far hes been good. Not a clear cut number one overall if he was in last years draft or even the one before. Maybe not clear cut number one this year unless he picks it up.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Hippasus

Quote:
I think Gretzky helped Kurri more than Kurri helped Gretzky but at any rate they were very complementary for one another.
100% agreed. To Kurri's credit, he took the bulk of the defensive load as far as he and Gretzky went giving Gretzky the freedom to roam more. There's this dude 'poise' who has posted in the history forum and seems to know a lot about Kurri. This was one of his posts:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...7&postcount=37

Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:25 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Maybe not clear cut number one this year unless he picks it up.
Look at Boston's roster; it's conceivable that if the top two picks were the Canes and the Bruins, Seguin and Fowler end up being taken first. The Bs have a ton of talent up-front both on the roster and in the pipeline. Not so much on D especially considering Wideman's regression and Stuart's stagnant development.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking though.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:25 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I am not 100% sold on Hall just yet. He has great talent but some bad habits that won't wash in the nhl . If the oilers had the 1st pick I'd have to know more about this Seguin dude before 100% being behind a Hall pick.
You do realize that Hall is 18 and that 18 year olds tend to make mistakes.....
If you watch Hall, he does way more good things on the ice than bad things and as far as an 18 year old is concerned, is one of the more complete players that i've seen at that age in a long time.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
BloodOfOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yeah I was somewhat skeptical of Hall but that last game made me more of a believer.

Very impressive skating ability and a really wicked shot combined with good sized frame (6'1).

If he is a "bust" at the NHL level it will be because he does not want to work for it plain and simple. He has too much raw talent and ability for that to be the let down.

I remember reading that Daigle actually never really liked playing hockey, he just kinda got thrown into it, lol.
+1. But just want to add that he actaully is not 6'1. Maybe 5'10 at most the kid is tiny!

BloodOfOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbingbill View Post
100% agreed. To Kurri's credit, he took the bulk of the defensive load as far as he and Gretzky went giving Gretzky the freedom to roam more. There's this dude 'poise' who has posted in the history forum and seems to know a lot about Kurri. This was one of his posts:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...7&postcount=37
Nice comparison in that post. Im thankful we have had such great players to reminisce about. What do Canuck fans talk about? Bure vs Ronning?

Old
01-02-2010, 10:43 AM
hockeyaddict101

Gretzky helped every player he played with more than he helped them. All great players do but that doesn't take away how good of a player Kurri was.

He was a pure scorer much like Mike Bossy and one of the best defensive forwards I ever saw.

Semenko once bet Kurri that he could not from the opposite blue line shoot ten pucks and hit the cross bar on all of them.

Semenko lost the bet!

Kurri was a great shooter and obviously have the best play maker ever to play the game pass him the puck was a match made in heaven! Beautiful to watch.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Willy Lindstrom

Title of Thread = Best pick ever?

Would have to be Messier at #48 in 1979, although you could make an argument for Jari Kurri at #69 in 1980 or Glenn Anderson at #69 in Messier's year.

Willy Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:52 PM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Forget McGuire...I don't like him either. But you are disputing not just McGuire's testimony of him but all of the other scouts that have him slotted number 1 in this years draft. And his play has been fantastic so far, if he continues to improve this tournament he will easily get nabbed in the first overall spot. He his hardly a plumber and is by far one the most explosive skaters out there, watch him backcheck after playing deep in the opposing corner or streaking down the ice on the attack...awesome speed. If the Oilers are lucky enough to get the 1st overall, I take him in a heartbeat. OT a little...the Moose is the best draft pick ever.
I wouldn't take him in a heartbeat just yet. He is not that dominating as one would think. Eric Lindros had more going than Taylor Hall. So many here say the "scouts" think this and that about him, but you know what? I bet you when all is said and done that someone drafted later in the first will turn out to be better than him. Hall plays on a stacked team. Put him on Team Russia and Hall will be nothing but swiss cheese like what we saw today.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:58 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
I wouldn't take him in a heartbeat just yet. He is not that dominating as one would think. Eric Lindros had more going than Taylor Hall. So many here say the "scouts" think this and that about him, but you know what? I bet you when all is said and done that someone drafted later in the first will turn out to be better than him. Hall plays on a stacked team. Put him on Team Russia and Hall will be nothing but swiss cheese like what we saw today.
So we're supposed to punish players for playing on good teams? Again, you and everyone else who has made this criticism doesn't seem to understand that Hall is the one driving the results. Look- Nemisz and Henrique are the WJC team too. If they were all of relatively equal ability (ie elite junior players) they would be producing at an identical rate, don't you agree?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
So we're supposed to punish players for playing on good teams? Again, you and everyone else who has made this criticism doesn't seem to understand that Hall is the one driving the results. Look- Nemisz and Henrique are the WJC team too. If they were all of relatively equal ability (ie elite junior players) they would be producing at an identical rate, don't you agree?
You have to account for time on ice, who he's playing with, and the amount of PP opportunities. How is Hall the one driving the results? Driving the results has to mean he takes the team on his shoulder and makes a game changing play. Why was it that he wasn't the one tying the game up against USA? Nor was he the one who buried the winner in the shootout. Prove me wrong if you can. He has yet to get onto the "TSN turning point."

I'm not here trying to argue just for the sake of arguing. But we should be careful in terms of how much we pump up some kid or it will bite us in the 'you know what' in the end, then we crucify him the same way we did with busts like Jimmy Carson, Daigle, and so forth.

Our management staff is ankored by an ex-Canuck, last time I check, the Canucks have some of the biggest busts in their history of drafting. I'm just hoping that we don't end up being on the "Top Ten NHL Draft Busts" 10 years down the road.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:40 PM
greatgazoo

Anyone who is putting the weight of the world on Hall's shoulders on a team where he's the only draft-eligible player should check themselves.

There are older players on Team Canada who have been there before and need to lead by example.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Hippasus

Quote:
Nice comparison in that post. Im thankful we have had such great players to reminisce about. What do Canuck fans talk about? Bure vs Ronning?
Or Henrik Sedin versus Gino Odjick?? . . . the Oilers are fortunate to have had such an incredibly rich history, especially in their first 20 years or so.

Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote