HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Winter Classic is a bigger event than the Stanley Cup Finals

Old
12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
AK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
IMHO...there hasn't been one good classic game.
In terms of good hockey.... they've been crap!

In terms of $$$$...that's a different story
What is your definition of a good hockey game, then?

Two years ago, it was a tight game that went to the final round of a shootout after a four on three powerplay in overtime. It was a defensive contest first and foremost. Last year was run-and-gun with nine goals scored, including one of the nicest plays you'll ever see on Datsyuk's goal.

Do you just prefer something right in the middle?

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Excellent observation. I think this captures the essence of it all. New Year's Day is the perfect canvas too.
College Football has also abandoned New years day which helps too. None of the good games are on today and no one care about the minor bowls any more. People are hungry for games today and this fits right into the schedule. Keep it on Jan 1st befor the Rose Bowl, and keep it in great locations. Maybe Yankee Stadium Ranger vs Isles, or OSU's horseshoe Columbus vs Wings. The stadium and date are perfect for a mid season event.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:53 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
College Football has also abandoned New years day which helps too. None of the good games are on today and no one care about the minor bowls any more. People are hungry for games today and this fits right into the schedule. Keep it on Jan 1st befor the Rose Bowl, and keep it in great locations. Maybe Yankee Stadium Ranger vs Isles, or OSU's horseshoe Columbus vs Wings. The stadium and date are perfect for a mid season event.
Great point about college football. Was just talking with some friends about that last night. Keep it on the 1st and let it become the iconic sporting event of the day. It's certainly trending that way.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:10 PM
f lippy

the real reason why the classic became so popular was because of theodore's toque.

f lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f lippy View Post
the real reason why the classic became so popular was because of theodore's toque.
You might be joking, but I think there is some truth to that. Across Canada after that game, sales of that tuque took off, and it was one of the top Christmas presents for 2003. The NHL must have seen that as a big marketing opportunity, and certainly if you visit shop.nhl.com, you will see all sorts of outerwear/winterwear featuring the Flyers and Bruins. I'm sure they sell well, and the generated revenues from merchandising alone is a major factor for why the NHL enjoys this event.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:07 PM
KzooShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Excellent observation. I think this captures the essence of it all. New Year's Day is the perfect canvas too.
Especially with NYD already being a "sports" day with college football bowl games, and since college football has spread out their biggest games over the course of a week instead of playing them all on the 1st, there's a nice opening for the NHL to slide in. Going head to head with the Citrus..er, Capital One Bowl is a winning move. I'm not so sure if they try to double the event with a 2nd one that they would do so well vs. a traditional Rose Bowl (Big-10/Pac-10) matchup.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
mucker*

The problem I see is that the Winter Classic is sure to be saturated.

The last two classics were held at famous historic ballparks in Boston and Chicago.
Besides Yankee Stadium (which may not be available) what else is left?
There is really nothing as historic as those three, after which you will be at places like Target Field, which while they may be nice, they do not have the same cache.

There is a limited number of venues and a limited number of teams and markets. The NHL in a few years, if not sooner, will saturate the big markets (Megalopolis+Crosby+Chicago+Detroit) and be left with Columbus+Colorado+Minnesota+St.Louis, all of which are good markets but lack broad appeal.

The bigger challenge is going to be maintaining the appeal given these parameters.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trondheim View Post

The last two classics were held at famous historic ballparks in Boston and Chicago.
There is really nothing as historic as those three, after which you will be at places like Target Field, which while they may be nice, they do not have the same cache.

There is a limited number of venues and a limited number of teams and markets. The NHL in a few years, if not sooner, will saturate the big markets (Megalopolis+Crosby+Chicago+Detroit) and be left with Columbus+Colorado+Minnesota+St.Louis, all of which are good markets but lack broad appeal.

The bigger challenge is going to be maintaining the appeal given these parameters.
Once the Classic is built into a big annual TV event, a yearly sporting tradition that even casual fans look forward to (which goal seems to be progressing nicely), then the actual location won't matter as much. The event itself will become bigger than the venue.

It's a good strategy to use iconic, historic venues in these first few years, but I don't see that as absolutely essential every single year going forward.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:24 PM
mr gib

love it - can't miss it -

pure magic -

even costas - " as the darkness grew and the shadows arrived they were like little boys playing on a pond moments away from mum calling for dinner - " paraphrased but stunning none the less

mr gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:28 PM

I'm thinking Washington has to end up playing it next year to get Ovechkin on the big stage like that. He's the type of player that could really do something special in that type of opportunity. Maybe they can do Rangers-Capitals, although Penguins-Capitals would have been the golden matchup.

I like the concept, but I'm not at all sold on it in terms of interest. I've watched a bit of a couple of them, but it's just another regular season game in a better setting to me. I mentioned to my wife that it might be more interesting if they played the all-star game in the classic although it's counter productive because they are two big events that draw interest independently.

I'd like to see something where as the winter classic is a cold weather/traditional market location and the ASG is a newer/SW or western markets. ASG is places like Atlanta, Carolina, Florida, Tampa, LA, SJ, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus and WC in places like Canada, the Central and Eastern Time Zones.

Last edited by Guest: 01-01-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:00 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Since the NHL will logically never have the Winter Classic in Canada I think it makes alot of sense to start having an outdoor All star Game in Canada, if they could get Mario and Gretz and a few others to lace up for a short game they could get some good ratings in the US too, I think it would also be crazy if they could somehow do a North America vs World game outdoor in Finland before they open up the season there next season, I cant remember if there was also going to be a game in Sweeden next season because that would probably be the better option

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:57 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

while there may only be 1 "iconic" venue left, that doesn't mean there aren't places to hold it properly.

of course Yankee Stadium is the icon, but there is a College Bowl game being held there with tentative game dates of 12/29/10 and 1/2/11.

but there are some venues known for their sheer size, like the Big House (Michigan) or appropriateness, like Minnesota (Land of 10000 Lakes).

the problem isn't the where, its the WHO. the Rangers (and likely Capitals) playing next year means that NBC is out of teams it shows on a weekly basis (don't get me started). you'll have 16 US-based teams begging to play in this, most of whom NBC could give a **** about.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Make the entire stanley cup finals outdoors as a big preplanned event like the superbowl, imo.

Also, I think someone in another thread said this: how about Pens v. Caps, national mall?

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derick View Post
Make the entire stanley cup finals outdoors as a big preplanned event like the superbowl, imo.

Also, I think someone in another thread said this: how about Pens v. Caps, national mall?
Is this sarcasm? Sorry my detector isn't working.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:38 AM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:

many potential stanley cup teams do not have a place to hold an outdoor game are you kidding me

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Great point about college football. Was just talking with some friends about that last night. Keep it on the 1st and let it become the iconic sporting event of the day. It's certainly trending that way.
No it's not. The Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl are both going to clobber it in the ratings, and the Capital One Bowl is probably going to draw a much bigger number as well.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
many potential stanley cup teams do not have a place to hold an outdoor game are you kidding me
The superbowl is held in a preplanned city, dude.

I know this is very unlikely to ever happen. It'd be cool though.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
This (along with the Rideau Canal and various other fantasies) is popular fan ******** material but stands basically no chance of happening in reality. It's financially impractical (either through loss of revenue due to minimal/no paid attendance or the need to construct temporary seating vs. using a stadium that already exists), and with regards to the National Mall in particular, presents what would almost certainly be regarded as an unnecessary security risk that would require tremendous expenditure of resources and funds (hmm, 50k people at a televised event in front of the main US government buildings, can't imagine terrorists being interested in that...).

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker* View Post

Good article here talking about the very thing you are, with regard to venues, teams/cities to host, etc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=4789071

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:23 PM
FlyerCub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
You might be joking, but I think there is some truth to that. Across Canada after that game, sales of that tuque took off, and it was one of the top Christmas presents for 2003. The NHL must have seen that as a big marketing opportunity, and certainly if you visit shop.nhl.com, you will see all sorts of outerwear/winterwear featuring the Flyers and Bruins. I'm sure they sell well, and the generated revenues from merchandising alone is a major factor for why the NHL enjoys this event.

I definitely agree about the knit hats being iconic images of the Heritage/Winter Classics thanks to Theodore and his tuque on his mask and I wouldn't be shocked if one of them is the number one WC merchandise item.

Given the weather, you expect to see a lot of people with some type of hat on their head, especially a knit one, but I was shocked to see how many WC specific ones people were wearing (admittedly, including myself) as I approached Fenway Park. Looking back, it makes sense since the price point fares well against a jersey but I didn't anticipate that many of them. The Flyers radio broadcasters even had theirs on in their broadcast booth at least through the first period.

FlyerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:18 PM
greatgazoo

Tonight on HNIC there was discussion of playing the game at the Cowboys brand new, state of the art stadium in Texas. Sure the scoreboard above the ice would as long as the length of the ice, which would be very unique and futuristic, but without the cold weather and snow, it lacks the same appeal.

It's all about the cold weather. Remember when there was a Kings game held at Ceasar's Palace? It's just not the same when you can't see the players' breath.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
Tonight on HNIC there was discussion of playing the game at the Cowboys brand new, state of the art stadium in Texas. Sure the scoreboard above the ice would as long as the length of the ice, which would be very unique and futuristic, but without the cold weather and snow, it lacks the same appeal.

It's all about the cold weather. Remember when there was a Kings game held at Ceasar's Palace? It's just not the same when you can't see the players' breath.
As Mike Milbury aptly put it tonight on Hotstove, "The ****** of the Winter Classic has begun."

Playing the "Winter Classic" under sunny skies and 12 degree weather would ruin the point of playing the game outdoors, would it not?

Jesus. Might as well play the game in bloody Hawaii.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Now if only the NHL had a better TV deal to follow up on the goodwill created by this event.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:01 AM
hfboardsuser

I just wish the WC actually meant something besides the two points. I'd love it if was something as simple as being worth three for a win because you'd have guys pushing that much more.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:21 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
The superbowl is held in a preplanned city, dude.

I know this is very unlikely to ever happen. It'd be cool though.
It'd be hot actually considering it would be in June.