HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The film "Pond Hockey" is on Hulu, featured today

Old
12-31-2009, 09:32 AM
wearethegreek

vCash: 500
The film "Pond Hockey" is on Hulu, featured today

http://www.hulu.com/watch/118204/pond-hockey

I'm about to watch it for the first time myself. Though you might like it. Let me know what you thought of the movie.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Pierre Gotye

It's not bad, just not as good as it was hyped up to be.

I saw parts of it yesterday...just kind of: 'meh'

I think the Forgotten Miracle might be better:

Pierre Gotye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
AIREAYE

I saw Pond Hockey on the plane recently, I thought it was pretty cool, but for casual or non-fans, its really boring...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 03:56 PM
jsykes

It was on NHL network last night here in the states, it was pretty good. I think they concentrated too much on the pond hockey championships and wished that they looked more at the kids playing on actual ponds in neighborhoods and communities around the area.

I'm in the DC area and there were only about one or two winters when I was growing up that I was able to actually play pond hockey cause normally we do not get enough cold days in a row to maintain ice that is safe enough.

I can say that it was some of the best days of my life and a wonderful memory of my childhood. I lived in suburbia, so we would go down to the local golf course and use one of their ponds. They froze well and you felt safe cause they were only a couple feet deep at the most.

Playing true pond hockey was wonderful and something I will never forget and this movie did bring back a few of those memories.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Heat McManus

loved the film. can see how it's not for the non-fan.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Hockeyfan68

I DVRed it when it aired on the NHL Network earlier this week.

I thought it was okay ... one of the points made in it I thought was outdoor rinks being made and nobody was out there using them.

I have a small handful of outdoor rinks I can use and had a backyard one for 4 years or so. When I was a kid there were rinks made all over the place here in the late 1970s.

My town had 5 large ones! The neighboring town had 5 or 6 as well as we are a twin city area.

Now sadly we have ZERO made by the city and the neighboring twin city has only 2.

I mainly use the one up the street maintained by some kids on a resevoir type dammed up area. They auger the ice and pump water to reflood it.

I also use one made outside of a school in the neighboring town I mentioned just 4 miles away. They have steel netted cages and a HUGE ice surface.

I also drive about 20 miles away to a lighted rink with regulation hockey boards but no glass, two cages and maintained well.

There is another outdoor one with lights that another small town pays someone from december to february to maintain with boards.

The point is one has to go out of their way to play outdoors and that is really unfortunate. I am in Maine in northern New England and it should not be a scarce thing to see an outdoor rink.

I feel badly for kids today honestly, more often than not there isn't much done to give kids outdoor activities like there used to be. Now they stay inside and get fat on microwave meals and play video games.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 01-01-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:19 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
loved the film. can see how it's not for the non-fan.
Agree

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote